Recycle trash easier? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Beginner

I heard about a product back in the 80's that you can put in your trash and it will help it to decompose quicker...

i'm not sure if it's a chemical or an organic product...

Anyone know of such a thing? Or know of what I could do similiar other than compost? (right now i have a compost pile... but when I move back to florida soon i will probably be in an apartment and won't be able too)...

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Well,while i wasn't around in the 70s, it sounds like your simply talking about a turning-compost bin! You basically use it the same way that you would use your pile, but you turn it and the air that goes in with all the organic materials makes it decompose a bit faster. You can buy them at basically any hardware/gardening store i think or you can make one yourself (which is what I did using a garbage can and some cheap tools i got at loew's)

i hope this helps!
#3 Old 06-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Beginner

thanks for the tip

That would be great if we were going to have an outside area but when we move we'll be back into an apt... And a compost bin wouldn't be to great inside hehe and outside, well, I'm sure the apt complex wouldn't allow.

I had heard that it was some sort of "additive" you can actually put into your garbage that speeds up the decompensation of it all... But I can't hardly remember what exactly it was or even where I heard it... That's why i figured if it was out there maybe someone has heard of it or knows where to get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Beginner

i know what you mean...i was actually reading about this the other day ...it was a bacteria added and it decomposed everything in just a day or two...i believe some guy from cali touted it...but it went 'under' because of something to do with up and coming chemical companies(?!) i returned the book it was in though and forget the title

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page