Carbon Offsets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm doing some travelling this summer, so I decided to take the advice of my Lonely Planet guidebook and look into "carbon offsets." Buying offsets for my air travel ended up being relatively cheap. My flights from the US to Russia, and then to Switzerland, and then back, could all be offset for about $35. I used the website carbonfund.org.

It was the first time I have ever done it, even though I have being hearing about "carbon offsets" in theory for a while now.

Does anyone else do this? What are your opinions on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Ankle Biter

I've never heard of that site. It's an interesting concept, that's for sure.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Does anyone else do this? What are your opinions on it?

there's a lot of people that have been scammed.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2010/0420/Buying-carbon-offsets-may-ease-eco-guilt-but-not-global-warming

what is really needed is some gradually increasing carbon tax that will slowly alter our economy to avoid a collapse when oil peaks (and would help with climate change too).

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

there's a lot of people that have been scammed.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2010/0420/Buying-carbon-offsets-may-ease-eco-guilt-but-not-global-warming

what is really needed is some gradually increasing carbon tax that will slowly alter our economy to avoid a collapse when oil peaks (and would help with climate change too).

That is precisely what I was concerned about. But as we patiently wait for the powers-that-be to create some sort of real carbon marketplace system, what can one guilty environmentalist do when she finds herself on an airplane or a road trip? I feel like I already consume and pollute less than the average American.

#5 Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM

I read some books about carbon offsetting and lets just say that many projects are a scam or very badly implemented; this doesn't mean that they are all bad, it depends. Anyway, aviation is here to stay and great things are happening in this field (slowly but surely), like better traffic control systems, better flight management, biofuels made from algae, gliding descent at low engine power and so on.

In the meantime, you can do your part by choosing to fly only on long distances (not that often though) and use alternative means of transport on short to medium ones. As an environmentalist I think you already do this. 

As a vegan, your ecological footprint is already smaller so don't worry too much. Keep the topic of environmentalism ON in real life and keep adding pressure on politicians and companies, because the big change needs to take place exactly there.

#6 Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

what can one guilty environmentalist do when she finds herself on an airplane or a road trip? I feel like I already consume and pollute less than the average American.

there are some much more promising carbon sequestration projects on the horizon but I don't think they will have the nice warm fuzzy feeling that todays scrammed-ridden planting trees projects have for the naive.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#7 Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Beginner

"Carbon offsets" remind me of the selling of indulgences during medieval times, "give us some money and you don't have to feel guilty."

As a vegan, you've probably already done more to offset carbon accumulation than any tree-hugging omni, so why the guilt? I think that if you want to financially support programs that offset carbon emissions, you should do it because you think it's the right thing to do - not because you're going on a trip. Take your time and research the programs so you know your money is actually being put to good use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page