I wonder how come everyone doesnt use Cloth Diapers? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

They cost less, they are EASY to clean, they have no real drawbacks minus convenience...and if I wwas about convenience i wouldnt use them.  But I am..

And you are adding like 700 lbs of poo to the heap..so I dont.

I saw a post where someone said they stopped using them since thir kid had movements TOO large to fit?  WOW...there are youtube videos that treach you how to deal with larger volumes....its all about the fold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

No it's not just about "the fold." A piece of cloth can only absorb a certain amount of liquid. Too large a volume will leak. It's math.
#3 Old 07-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Im sorry ElainV but that is simply not true.  In my experience at least.  My son, and daughter...both veg heads...eat VOLUMES of berries and oats...etc..

they have and had FULLLLLL stools.  and as far as wettness...you have to change a bit more frequent...but there is no need, once again in my experience, to quit using them based on the reasons stated.

If its wet, you change...and "math" as you put it...yes...it gets full...but the surface area of a diaper, cloth or synthetic plastic. is about the same...and if the fold is done correctly, then you get a shelf or sorts along the sides that hold in the good stuff..eww...that sounded just nasty....

I guess i am arguing, but my intent is not that. kiss.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I think they are more eco friendly, so I have recommended them. The guy I recommended it to didn't want to try it. I guess people just want to take and throw away. The less time they deal with it, the better for them, but worse for the environment.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 07-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Youa re right.

I find that the simple word "Lazy" incites anger in people...and I think it is because they dont like the truth.  It takes no more than a few seconds to change a cloth diaper...they even have a service to come and take the crappy ones away and replace them with new clean ones..

I dont trust thier soaps or the cleaniliness...but it would be better than throwing countless numbers of diapers over the diapering years.

It amazes me.  I saw a Youtube vid once that showed a pile of 2 years worth of pee and poo diapers for a fmaily of 2 kids...the pile was bigger than thier house.  It was CRAZY!!!

7 diapers a day...7 days a week. 50 diapers a week...to round up is to be easier...

200 a month....2400 diapers a year...per kid....x's 2 4800 diapers a year, for two years each..

almost 10,000 diapers in a two year period...WOW!!!!

#6 Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post

Youa re right.

I find that the simple word "Lazy" incites anger in people...and I think it is because they dont like the truth.  It takes no more than a few seconds to change a cloth diaper...they even have a service to come and take the crappy ones away and replace them with new clean ones..

I dont trust thier soaps or the cleaniliness...but it would be better than throwing countless numbers of diapers over the diapering years.

It amazes me.  I saw a Youtube vid once that showed a pile of 2 years worth of pee and poo diapers for a fmaily of 2 kids...the pile was bigger than thier house.  It was CRAZY!!!

7 diapers a day...7 days a week. 50 diapers a week...to round up is to be easier...

200 a month....2400 diapers a year...per kid....x's 2 4800 diapers a year, for two years each..

almost 10,000 diapers in a two year period...WOW!!!!

Yeah that is crazy. I know that throwing away so many diapers like that accumulates to a lot, but most people forget and don't think about how big that really is because they throw it away and it ends up in a big landfill somewhere away from view.

If you don't trust their cleanliness, when you get back clean ones you can reclean them youself. I watched a video about cloth diapers and they seemed to do a pretty good job with cleaning them though.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#7 Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

First 6 months my son was in cloth diapers.

Then, disposable for one year. 

Then potty training started at about 18 months of age. The method I use is to promote going potty as often as possible and limit going in a diaper, (not the traditional potty training method of delaying potty training until he have every skill necessary and can use cloth underwear). He goes through 1-3 pullups per day of those plus one regular diaper overnight.

So... it's not "7 diapers a day...7 days a week..." Right now, the reality for my son is 2 to 4 diapers per 24 hour period.

My son is 2 and he's as tall as many 4 or 5 year olds. When I talk about large quantities of urine, I'm not making it up. If I put him in cloth diapers he soaked through them. Large outputs are simply large outputs. Besides, wearing a giant bulky cloth diaper inhibits movement and makes my active child grumpy.

I do some things that are good for the environment (being vegan, using reusable shopping bags, recycling, buying organic, driving a fuel efficient car, etc.) and I do some things that are pretty bad for the environment (use disposable diapers, flush every time I use the toilet, use paper towels, tampons, etc.). Go ahead and call me lazy if you want. I'm ok with being a real person who isn't perfect.

---

Take your cloth diapers and make them into different origami shapes. Fold them however you like. Then start pouring water into them. There will be some point where they overflow. A piece of cloth can only absorb a certain number of ounces of liquid. That's a fact.

School children have tested the absorbancy of diapers as science fair experiments. Disposable diapers win, hands down.

---

Where is your outrage about adult diapers? Have you gone on a campaign to your local nursing home to try to convert them to use cloth yet?

#8 Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

ElaineV

Wow..ok.  First let me say that I am sorry now, to get this over with.

Second. You son urinates a lot, ok...then change him alot.

Your son is taller than most kids, making his bladder larger for his age...ok.  He doesnt like wearing them?  Wlel i dont like when my son doesnt eat all of his _______.  But I still make him, or at least persuade him into it.  Point is, I do it for the environment, not for me.

You state that you do things good and bad for mother earth.  SO you are choosing to do things you KNOW are bad?  Not even modifying the toilet to every other use gets a flush?  Or the If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down(My house)  Tampons, understood, paper towels Not understood.  We use recycled rags and towles, then wash.

And Im not saying you "are" lazy, it is just being "lazy" to go with the convenient route...which is why most people are green now in the first place.  I know, no one, my high and mighty self included. But realizing your imperfection is the first step to fixing that broken wheel.

And I never stated that cloth diapers hold more liquid. What I said was that I use them and the disposable ones are horrible for everything except convenience.  Thats all.  My daughter is a HUGE water drinker.  I mean, more than I like to say, and she pees like a monster.  shes only 1 1/2 but she pees more than my 5 year old.  And when shes wet, she gets changed.  Shes goes thorugh an EASY 6 on average a day...just pee diapers...maybe more....and once a week, we throw them all in the washer on Sanitize setting, takes 2 hours.  Then they come out spic and span.

And for your comment about the adult diapers.  i havent went on any campaign, but i have spoken to two different nursing homes that I live near at a job fair about the possibility of using cloth adult pads.  And actually going green...er. They said that the pads that they are given, are provided by donation and by the state.  They dont even buy them.. SO maybe "we" can go on a  state campaign.  To eliminate the unnecessary wastes of all these old individuals.  But it wont look right if we go on this campaign and you are not on board yourself.  So you let me know when you go green....er. Whaddya say?

And I do hope you know that I am kidding.

#9 Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Cloth diapers do tend to cause more rashes in some babies, as they don't hold the moisture away from the skin like disposables do. I have seen pediatricians recommend switching to disposables temporarily so that nasty rashes could resolve.

Not everyone has the privilege of being able to sacrifice convenience for potential environmental benefits. I guess the next logical step from there would be to say that people shouldn't have children unless they aren't able to deal with the time, energy or expense (if you have a diaper service) involved in cloth diapering. I doubt one would get very far with that argument.
#10 Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I can attest to the cloth diaper rash thing, BUT i havce a secret weapon.  Its called, Sunlight, air and earth momma baby angel...or something.,....its this AWESOME stuff, smells like chocolate.  Calendula wax, and all kinds of goodies.  I kid you not.  I had athletes foot REAL bad last summer, and I had a crak at the base of my pinkie toe OUCH!  i applied that good two times a day...no exxageration.  It was gone in 2 days.  An actual cut on my toe due to athletes foot.  (im a HUGE mountain biker)  if she gets red, we let her air dry for a few minutes...and then apply a SMALL amount of that stuff...POOF gone.  and also limiting the babies acidic foods, as well as grainy foods too...(Sand in the shorts type situation)

And agreed.,...not everyone is able to do this...i know.  But you CAN if you WANT to...thats my beef.  People justify "why" they simply "cant" do something.  I see that as a HUGE cop out.  But on the flip side, it could just be that they didnmt know, dont care, dont want to know or actually try and fail.  Any option, I say just be honest. 

Dont jump, cuz if you do, Ill ask you why. (Saying from a movie)  And by the way, I dont use a service, we bought  afront load washer..(we line dry in the summer out back and line dry in the garage). When we were in an apartment...ghetto yes...we strung it down the hallway and put a box fan on to blow against it.  Dry in 3 hours...usually.

And pediatricians recommend to vaccinate your children as well...dont get me started.

tongue3.gif

#11 Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Cloth diapers do tend to cause more rashes in some babies, as they don't hold the moisture away from the skin like disposables do. I have seen pediatricians recommend switching to disposables temporarily so that nasty rashes could resolve.
Not everyone has the privilege of being able to sacrifice convenience for potential environmental benefits. I guess the next logical step from there would be to say that people shouldn't have children unless they aren't able to deal with the time, energy or expense (if you have a diaper service) involved in cloth diapering. I doubt one would get very far with that argument.

My parents both worked full time- my mum went back to work (as a nurse including nightshifts etc) when I was 6 weeks old, and I had almost 100% cloth nappies (diapers). Those were the days of old terry towel style nappies and safety pins, nothing like the amazing cloth nappies you can get nowadays in slimmer, softer fabrics and nice colours and Velcro or other easy use ways to attach. My parents did not use a nappy cleaning service. If they managed both working full time 25 years ago, other people do not have the excuse that they are "too busy" nowadays.
#12 Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

My parents both worked full time- my mum went back to work (as a nurse including nightshifts etc) when I was 6 weeks old, and I had almost 100% cloth nappies (diapers). Those were the days of old terry towel style nappies and safety pins, nothing like the amazing cloth nappies you can get nowadays in slimmer, softer fabrics and nice colours and Velcro or other easy use ways to attach. My parents did not use a nappy cleaning service. If they managed both working full time 25 years ago, other people do not have the excuse that they are "too busy" nowadays.

Yeah my mom put us in cloth diapers too. But it's easier to do that when everyone else is doing it and there isn't another option.

Did you know most day cares and preschools won't accept a kid in cloth diapers now?

Did you know that many US cities/towns don't have cloth diaper services?
#13 Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

My only reason for using disposable is the price tag.  I used a nappy service when my son was very young, but we had only one minimum wage income and it was very hard to pay for it. ($100/month)  I also bought a set of my own, which my son ended up outgrowing in two months, and that set me back probably the same amount ($200 for the set for 2 months) + laundromat services, which are quite a pain without a vehicle.  I've used disposables since.  It may not have saved me any money in the long run, but it wasn't as bad in the short.

#14 Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Yeah my mom put us in cloth diapers too. But it's easier to do that when everyone else is doing it and there isn't another option.
Did you know most day cares and preschools won't accept a kid in cloth diapers now?
Did you know that many US cities/towns don't have cloth diaper services?

Everyone else wasn't doing it. There were disposable nappies around when I was a baby.

That's ridiculous that places won't take children who are in cloth nappies. My little cousin had the modern cloth nappies and I helped change him and I didn't find it any more difficult than putting disposables on.

And what on earth do people need 'diaper services' for? Put it in a bag, take it home and wash it.
#15 Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

And what on earth do people need 'diaper services' for? Put it in a bag, take it home and wash it.

For people without washing machines, perhaps?

#16 Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Commercial washing machines used by a diaper service use much higher temperatures and kill more bacteria/viruses,etc than a home washing machine. For some people, this is an issue. They feel that disposable diapers are more sanitary. Or if they used cloth diapers they would only do it with a service.

Personally, I had no problem dealing with the cloth diapers early on. It was when the waste amounts became rather large that it became a bigger issue for me. I honestly couldn't really stomach washing all that nastiness. It's pretty gross, you know.

Also, if you're going to go the non-mainstream route, then either you have to go it alone or you have to have your partner on board. If one person wants cloth and the other wants disposable then you'll probably end up with disposable.

I'm not trying to excuse or justify disposable diapers. I agree that cloth are better. But I'm explaining why I switched to disposable and why most people use disposable. There are convenience issues, daycare issues, santiary issues, etc.

#17 Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

YAY...someone who shares my opinion.

smitten.gif

#18 Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay...someone that supports my opinion. smitten.gif

#19 Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreed...like I said.  Convenience is the only loop hole in this topic.  If its easier, almost ALL will do it.  Environmental choice is my choice...no matter the struggle.  Its not for everyone. 

I think the reason that most daycares arent accepting kids with cloth diapers is two fold.

1.Lobbyists that push the child care profession to do so to back thier big business companies of pampers, du pont and most plastic and latex producing companies.

2. They feel that chaniging and dealing with a dirty diapers while at daycare (And dont get me started on daycare in the first place) is filthy and a pain...once again conveneience.

And if you live in a city that isnt progressivley pursuing a green mindset.  I would say make that a main to do list item.  Moe to one that is/does.  Most west coast cities are on board...most not all..

And on a side note, if someone in the partnership says they want something and thats the end...(Once again convenience) then there are more issues there than meets the eye.

#20 Old 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I used cloth diapers with my kids (23 and 19 now.) I used a great diaper service, and it was pretty easy. They brought huge bundles of clean, soft diapers, and took away the used ones. The cost then was about the same as disposables, and I hated the disposable diapers back then: they are *much* nicer now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page