Anyone else not use deodorant? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been a raging vegan now for a bit over 2 years...and i havent used deodorant in over 6 months...i just dont have that BO smell...and pre-vegan i did...nothing out of the ordinary..but it was pit-a-licious.

So i eat COMPLETELY clean.  ALL organic, all vegan all the time.  100%.  I wonder if this is the reason?

lol

We also use baking soda and a mashed berry for toothpaste...for the kids...i forgo the berry..

Lets see....we have no fridge...no freezer....umm...oh yeah...we use cloth diapers...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I find that sometimes the vegan deodorants make you smell worse. I seem to do okay for awhile without deodorant, as long as I have a shower every two days or so.

Maybe you smell better because of the veganism LOL I dunno, sometimes I think I smell worse than my pregan days o.o but overall it's still really not that bad.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for you Spirit.

I agree...the Jason products...or etc...they smell nice...but dont work too great...and kinda smell like sawdust or something.  Yeah.  I find if i eat tofurky stuff, or HEAVY white onions..i smell a bit..but nothing crazy...UNLESS im doing yoga...then im sure its bad...but hey...rewind back to the days when there was no deodorant....human smell is human smell...like...do you think monkeys think they stink?  Nope.,..too busy eating and having fun...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

yep lol. I  heard from my dad that humans apparently smell so bad, that other animals don't like to eat us. o.o xD

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

well score for us.

LOL

#6 Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

yep lol. I  heard from my dad that humans apparently smell so bad, that other animals don't like to eat us. o.o xD

He must have been talking about perfume and lotion. My neighbor uses that stuff and I swear I can routinely smell him from over 200 feet away, sometimes enough to make my eyes water. I know I wouldnt want to eat that. The smell of a reasonably clean human with no strange chemicals on their skin isnt so bad.

I've actually never in my life used deodorant. I just wash with water and sometimes castile soap and shave my pits a few times throughout summer and all is well.

But then I also use dirt as sunscreen and I havent cut my hair since 1998 so may be I'm just a hippie blush.gif

alannon likes this.
#7 Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Auxin

I partially emvy you.

#8 Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I say envy because I am a recent study to the ways of the jedi hippie.  :)

jkiddin

I actually find myself using the label urban hippie.  I follow the life, just dont have a job that says that it is so.

I shop, eat, party and more or less live hippie.  Im just a wolf in sheep clothing i guess.

Deodorant and sunscreen.  Look up the coorelation sometime between those two and skin and lymphnode cancer...released almost at the same time.

#9 Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I never use them, between animal testing and crap ingredients like silver, i m way better without, but i do have to admit that after an hour of training some would prefer me to use one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#10 Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I wish I didn't feel the need to use it. I've learned to stop caring about the wetness, but masking the smell (though it is not terrible) makes me more comfortable.
Quote:

I find that sometimes the vegan deodorants make you smell worse.
Yeah, what's up with that? I've given up on the vegan-friendly antiperspirants (none work on me anymore or never did), and am still on the prowl for a deodorant I like. My newest subject is Kiss My Face's Sport deo.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#11 Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I wish I didn't feel the need to use it. I've learned to stop caring about the wetness, but masking the smell (though it is not terrible) makes me more comfortable.
Yeah, what's up with that? I've given up on the vegan-friendly antiperspirants (none work on me anymore or never did), and am still on the prowl for a deodorant I like. My newest subject is Kiss My Face's Sport deo.

Ack, don't get that one! o.o Well you can if you want. I have kiss my face active life cucmber and green tea kind. It does well to give you a nice scent but if you don't take a shower every day and wash it off you will end up with white residue left in your underarms. It is irritating and you have to peel it off.

The best I think are the crystal stone deodorants. They eliminate odor but don't stop you from sweating. I hear that sweating out your underarm pores is good for you anyway as it helps your body get rid of toxins. For some the deodorant stones stop working after awhile, but they seem to have a better all around rating if you just look at comparisons online between the stick deodorants and the stones.

#12 Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:

Ack, don't get that one! o.o Well you can if you want. I have kiss my face active life cucmber and green tea kind. It does well to give you a nice scent but if you don't take a shower every day and wash it off you will end up with white residue left in your underarms. It is irritating and you have to peel it off.
laugh.gif Darn, it's too late now, it's already sitting on a table in my room. laugh.gif Oh well. I was looking that one and the "Spring Fresh" scent of Desert Essence and then grabbed the KMF one because it was a dollar cheaper, but if I end up disliking it (which is highly probable, given my deo track record) at least I know how the DE one smells like so I can get it even cheaper online. I'm picky and have to smell them before I buy, which is a problem because I want desperately to try Herban Cowboy, but I've only ever seen the unscented one in person and that's just pointless to me. sad.gif

And I hate that! There was one deodorant I tried that did that. I can't remember what one it was though. At first I thought I rubbed my armpits raw or something because it's so simliar to skin. Ergh. I usually take a shower every other day because I just don't get dirty/sweaty/smelly enough to warrant that, plus I think it's much healthier for my skin and hair. (the latter of which is the envy of my family, friends, and even some strangers kiss2.gif) So yeah, I hope it isn't too bad that I have to scrub my underarms twice a day or something. well, even if it is, the stick be gone in about two months and I can suffer than long.

Quote:
The best I think are the crystal stone deodorants. They eliminate odor but don't stop you from sweating. I hear that sweating out your underarm pores is good for you anyway as it helps your body get rid of toxins. For some the deodorant stones stop working after awhile, but they seem to have a better all around rating if you just look at comparisons online between the stick deodorants and the stones.
I've tried a couple different crystal things, but my body went through some sort of biological change threeish years ago and caused lots of things to just not work with my body chemistry anymore. Maybe I should try 'em again.

#13 Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I just thought I was just really lucky... I've never had to used deodrant. 

Mmmm... I didn't even enter my head that it could be because I was a vegetarian!! smiley.gif

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#14 Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post

I have been a raging vegan now for a bit over 2 years...and i havent used deodorant in over 6 months...i just dont have that BO smell...and pre-vegan i did...nothing out of the ordinary..but it was pit-a-licious.

So i eat COMPLETELY clean.  ALL organic, all vegan all the time.  100%.  I wonder if this is the reason?

lol

We also use baking soda and a mashed berry for toothpaste...for the kids...i forgo the berry..

Lets see....we have no fridge...no freezer....umm...oh yeah...we use cloth diapers...

Just because *you* don't smell it doesn't mean other people don't.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#15 Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't "need" it as long as I'm raw and onion and garlic free.  :)

#16 Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

#17 Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Exactly.

#18 Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Oryzatarian

If other people dont like it perhaps thats their issue. A few hundred years ago when guys were returning home theyd sometimes send letters ahead telling the wife to expect them and asking her not to bathe so the smell would be nice and strong, its largely an issue of perspective- like a preferred pungency of cheese lol.

Whats worse, smelling someone who stinks or smelling someone who stinks and getting angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post
...urban hippie.  I follow the life, just dont have a job that says that it is so....

The 60's confused the issue a bit, rarely have the majority of hippies made a living giving away free flowers and selling tie dye wink3.gif Its all about the attitude you try to cultivate. That, and there are many different styles of hippies.

#19 Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

They never implied that anyone else didn't o.o They were simply speaking from their viewpoint as it is THEIR post.

#20 Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

A few hundred years ago when guys were returning home theyd sometimes send letters ahead telling the wife to expect them and asking her not to bathe so the smell would be nice and strong, its largely an issue of perspective- like a preferred pungency of cheese lol.

Oh my... Times have REALLY changed... laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

A few hundred years ago when guys were returning home theyd sometimes send letters ahead telling the wife to expect them and asking her not to bathe so the smell would be nice and strong, its largely an issue of perspective- like a preferred pungency of cheese lol.

I could have gone my entire life without knowing that and it would have been okay.

:p

#22 Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I could have gone my entire life without knowing that and it would have been okay.

:p

+1

#23 Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Yeah... I have tried going without deodorant/antiperspirant, but I can smell the stink on myself. I have also tried Tom's deodorants, and I have not had luck with them. Tom's does have a new one that has the antiperspirant ingredient, so I plan to try that one. I know they say it can give you cancer, but so does everything these days. 

I'm glad some people think they are fine without deodorant. Perhaps you're right, but you might smell and have no idea. Hopefully you don't, but if you notice people avoiding the chair right next to you...that may be why.

#24 Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i use deoderant. i really wouldn't think of not using it. i work in an office setting and it's really not an option not to. plus i would feel weird. i've worked with some girls that don't wear it and it's been horrible. they can't smell themselves and think all is well. it's not. they reaked.

Atame.
#25 Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I'm glad some people think they are fine without deodorant. Perhaps you're right, but you might smell and have no idea. Hopefully you don't, but if you notice people avoiding the chair right next to you...that may be why.

I think I had that happen once. It was embarrasing and kind of rude on the person's part. V_V. I couldn't do anything about it as I was at school and it was hot.  I swear sometimes I just get weird flare ups out of the blue and I'm like o.O. Other times I'm perfectly fine without deo. I should probably just start taking deo around with me wherever I go in case I need it.

#26 Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't use deodorant at all. However, I also don't use soap b/c it messes w/ my skin chemistry and actually results in pit smells later in the day. I use a clean washcloth to exfoliate every morning and don't need anything else. Even after I go hiking, I don't really smell. Just kinda a sweet, natural scent as funny as that sounds.

To pull this off you gotta always wear freshly cleaned clothes too though. Start clean and your sweat won't have any stinky bacteria to mix with and start smelling funky.

Edit: Oh and the smell test has definately been verified by co-workers and friends. They are amazed.

the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#27 Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 AM

I stopped using deodorant about a year ago. I'm finding that I don't get sweat patches on my shirts anymore and I don't feel as 'sticky'.

This was before I was vegetarian, so I can't say that its related to diet for me. 

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#28 Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Beginner

I use Tom's deodorant (aluminum free) and it works quite well (this is coming from an individual with a history of putrid body odor). Also, I find exercising everyday helps reduce odor.

"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." (Lord Byron)

#29 Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to avoid deodorant as a conscious choice, but now it is more just habit. My girlfriend doesn't mind at all and rarely uses deodorant herself.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#30 Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 PM

I mostly just forget to use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page