Anyone else not use deodorant? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#31 Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Clean food = clean smells!

When I gave up meet the rotting smell under my arms went away too. This is actually pretty common. Also, the more raw fruits and veggies the less smell. I'm not a raw foodist, but most raw foodists have very little body odor. Nothing in their body causes a scent. Heavily cooked vegans probably still need a little deodorant from time to time, but we don't generally smell nearly as bad as our omni brothers and sisters. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Me too :) 

#33 Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Chlorophyll is a natural deodorizer. If you eat lots of greens, that could be why :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 PM

#35 Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Started using a vegan antiperspirant cause my pits stink, and I sweat a lot lol. All it takes is like 30 minutes after a shower to have sweaty and stinky pits again. And if I go out for a walk on a hot day, my shirts get soaked with pit sweat. Just too gross and uncomfortable for me. Oh and also I'm not about to change my diet just so I won't have to use an antiperspirant.

Vegan deos make me sweat and stink more than if I wore nothing.

All we are is dust in the wind
#36 Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't even imagine not wearing deodorant. I would stink and I'm jealous of anyone who can go without and not smell bad. 

#37 Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post

I couldn't even imagine not wearing deodorant. I would stink and I'm jealous of anyone who can go without and not smell bad. 

With me it's pretty the same...luckily we've got a big drugstore chain in Germany which also sells 'conventional' deodorants that are vegan, too. Although propellant isn't that good for environment...

#38 Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 AM

#39 Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM

I do not use a deodorant,

And I tend not to use industrial products actually... I prefer to be as natural as possible with those kinds of things, and I'm also all the way anti-industrial! Even though I'm still living in an industrial world, and until I move out of this city, my only selection is not organic.

I clean myself with Water & Lemon... And that's that =P

So I guess that Lemon is my smell... Yet it does not stick long.

#40 Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 AM

What are the natural alternatives for deodorant/soap/shampoo/toothpaste? The only thing I use now is toothpaste but I'd like to go all-natural.
#41 Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Green View Post

What are the natural alternatives for deodorant/soap/shampoo/toothpaste? The only thing I use now is toothpaste but I'd like to go all-natural.

Hmmm, if you want to make your own, I'm not the best one for advice on that, but I try to buy natural products.

Tom's of Maine http://www.tomsofmaine.com/home and Jason's Toothpaste http://www.jason-natural.com/body-loving-products/oral  are probably some of the more natural brands of toothpaste (Though I hear some people can just use a bit of sea salt to brush their teeth)

For shampoo. I use Natures Gate and Dessert Essence. They probably aren't the most natural things in the world, but they do claim to be biodegradable.

For deodorant, I have been using Pit Putty. It works quite well, but doesn't last too long. You will have to reapply during the day, but it's probably the most basic and natural deodorant on the market. Only around 6 ingredients.  http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-92/natural-deodorant%2C-organic-deodorant%2C/Detail 

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#42 Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

I've found if I wet my pits with witch hazel, then rub on Crystal Stick, it's much more effective than just water!

keep Mitchem antiperspirant around for high stress/sweaty days! As far as I know, it's animal free and not tested. Heck, I've had it for over 3 years now!

Natural deodorant sticks made me smell funkier than nothing at all!

I like Trader Joes shampoo and conditioner. Nourish I think. $2.99 each. Fair trade and vegan. Whole Foods brand 360 is vegan last I checked.

I like Toms toothpaste. After the one I have I'm trying coconut oil and sea salt. I tried the swishing with coconut oil and it was disgusting-but my teeth never felt cleaner! Oil pulling it was called.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#43 Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM

I use a body spray rather than a deodorant specifically.  I also shower a lot, twice a day if working and then going out in the evening.  I wash shirts or T-shirts after one wear.  Jeans/trousers may last a few wears at best.  If I go out in the evening, everything will be washed afterwards even if new on - pubs/clubs are hot places.  I hate the possibility I might smell.  And generally I like the idea that whilst I'm a vegan I can dress smart for work, I'm not a stereotypical stinky hippy type, never preach, etc.  I mix (with only the odd exception) with non-veggies/non-vegans and I like it that they accept me for who I am (the odd mickey take or moan aside) and hopefully in some small way I hope I can show that vegans can be alright to get along with.  I guess the same with any minority group - it's good for them to integrate with the masses.

#44 Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 AM

Don't use deoderant. I'd be lying if I said I didn't smell bad from time to time though.

etherea likes this.
#45 Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Auxin,

Wow, I would love to see your hair!! Do you have a pic?

And I guess I am just one of those people whose pits are, well, shall I say active...cuz I need deodorant if I don't want to have to maintain a safe distance between myself and other people. My partner actually likes the way I smell though. Was that too much information? sneaky.gif

#46 Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and the thing that I've found with vegan deodorant--my partner and I both use Nature's Gate Autumn Breeze in roll-on--is that if I don't let it dry before putting on a shirt, I smell twice as bad as if I didn't use it at all. I must allow it to dry first, or else on those days when I'm in a hurry and don't do this I usually find myself trying my best to keep my arms down as much as possible! This only makes it worse though...sigh...

I also work out a lot, so I sweat hard almost everyday.

#47 Old 10-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

The things you all eat, seep from your pores. Bacteria munch SO much harder in the pit region, so yeah sticky and stinky. BUT I have a new GOLDEN rod of hope for all you smellsters. Coconut Snow. I will go on record now and say it. There is NOTHING better out there...ANYWHERE> Its a lady that does it in her home, and it come sin a stick, standard looking. NO scent. It is UNREAL how well it works. To a fault. If you eat crap, you smell like it....IMO.
#48 Old 10-25-2014, 08:30 PM
No flesh since 99'

For the most part, I use no "beauty products" at all. They have all kinds of nasty chemicals in them you probably don't want on your skin and really aren't necessary. I was kind of handed deodorant when I started middle school even though I didn't need it, so I wouldn't ever be embarrassed come the time I did. As time went on, I started needing antiperspirant and then the "prescription" antiperspirant and then it did nothing at all anymore. The stronger I used, the worse it got! All I did was sweat, even in the freezing cold. When I started eating healthier is when I discontinued using beauty products. It was bad at first, but over time, I guess my body started healing from the toxic sludge I slathered on my skin, and gradually I began to sweat only when it's super hot or I'm working out (I also stopped needing lotion and got used to how I look makeup-fee, which is fine). I don't find under normal conditions that I smell bad either. After going on a hike or when it's 100 degrees out may be a different story, but not often enough to actually spend money on deodorant or perfumes! If I'm going out, I will use a little essential oil, rose is my favorite
#49 Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

I use a mix of coconut oil/tea tree oil/cornstarch/baking soda/essential oil

Been playing with the mix. First I made according to online recipes which were just coconut oil mixed with equal parts soda and starch. WAY too irritating -too much baking soda. I remelted it and added a good bit more oil and corn starch and also tea tree oil and essential oil for scent. It's the consistency of putty when the temps in the upper 60's but gets hard when it's cooler. Now it would be great in a stick!
I thing I'll try packing it in a toilet tissue roll and tear the top off as needed
#50 Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I use them sometimes. I do think you're better off not, but I also don't want to subject people to offensive smells :P

I am not quite sure what it is yet, but sometimes I am fine without for days and other times it is less pleasant than I would like pretty much right out of the shower. Like right now I've not had any on for around five days and I am still pretty good.

Probably something to do with diet but I've not paid enough attention to know what it is.
#51 Old 10-27-2014, 04:22 PM

I just started not using any deodorant today and my pits don't smell the greatest but that is also because I haven't bathed in like, 5 days... /coughcough/
I smeared some lemon on them just after washing them and I haven't noticed much of a difference but I haven't even had it on for a full day yet. :-)

I gave away all of my perfumes and lotions as well and started wearing vanilla extract as a perfume!
#52 Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never used deoderant, at least not on a regular basis. I found out when I was in middle school that I was allergic to most of the big name deoderants, and since I have never had much problem with sweating I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle to find one I wasn't allergic to. If I smell funky, I just rinse off in the shower. And I usually only shower every other day, usually a bit less than that in the winter, unless of course I have been working out and gotten sweaty (I like to go walking/jogging in the summer, but I'm usually pretty sedentary in the winter).
#53 Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 AM
an irregular

i guess im just an average sweat'er, maybe a little more than some since im just kind of a big all around person, and if i happen to forget to put on deoderant, i notice it so i would have to assume others will too. i've been using Jungleman naturals all natural stick deoderant for awhile now and im pretty happy with it, no stink, no stains and no chemicals. they have a few different subtle "flavors", i think my current ones are of the citrus/orange and a lime one as well.
i think i would be a little too self conscious to go without anything, probably be more uncomfortable and sweat more and make it worse... vicious cycle!
#54 Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Wink

@River

Hmm...someone is getting a tad stalkish. If you are unhappy with a post I have made, going to my other posts and bashing them is VERY immature. I NEVER ONCE said that in my post. I never said that since I don't stink, no one else does. OF COURSE meaties stink..of COURSE omnis stink, Vegetarians too...its the animal juices leaking out...per se.

lol
#55 Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

@ 4evaspirit..

OMG you HAVE to try Coconut snow. Its made locally, by ONE lady. I SWEAR by it. it is CRAZY how good it works...and I was WAY skeptical when I first read it. "A vegan deodorant that works.." Uh huh....but low and behold..it is the BEST. For those that need it.

lol
#56 Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post
@River

Hmm...someone is getting a tad stalkish. If you are unhappy with a post I have made, going to my other posts and bashing them is VERY immature. I NEVER ONCE said that in my post. I never said that since I don't stink, no one else does. OF COURSE meaties stink..of COURSE omnis stink, Vegetarians too...its the animal juices leaking out...per se.

lol
The hell are you talking about?

Edit: o.O that post was two years ago.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Last edited by River; 11-09-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Discovered the post
#57 Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
The hell are you talking about?

Edit: o.O that post was two years ago.
And now here you are, two years later :P Total stalker.
theverdevegan likes this.
#58 Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't use deodorant a lot but I found a chamomile, aloe vera and mineral salt mixture that is a bit wet when first put on but seems to work ok. The only problem is that I brought it back from Spain with me so when its done..................................?

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#59 Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a daily shower, use bar soap, and apply a light coat of antiperspirant to my under arms each day post shower.

Works for me.

I also use classic anticavity crest toothpaste, and floss. Boring old me.
#60 Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't use deodorant either, and rarely ever have. I don't sweat a ton, even after long runs or canoe camping etc. When I do sweat hard after a workout I take a shower and use bar soap (vegetable derived like Kirks Castile soap or pure essential oils. My body has always run a little on the cold side and I have extremely low blood pressure and always have. If I do sweat a lot I know my thyroid hormones are off again lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page