If you could donate to any cause... Which would it be? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey all...

So, I work as my mother's assistant, part time.

The mother-figure is participating in Authors for Earth Day this year. (Mom is a children's book author - her most popular works are for 2nd-4th graders, ish...) Authors for Earth Day is brand-new, only started in 2008. Mom LOVES the idea, and hopes her little bit of fame and participation will help it become a bigger event in future years. She's so excited to take part.

Basically how it works is she will be making an appearance at a school (even though we live on Cape Cod, it will be a school somewhere near Austin, Texas, since that's where she will be traveling for other school visits at the time.)

She will do her normal two-part appearance: a presentation to students, plus a book signing after.

The thing is, she will donate her honorarium (appearance fee) to a cause. She picks FIVE causes, and the students she speaks to get to vote on which one the money should go to.

SO... As her lovely assistant, it's up to me to locate/research five causes she'd be happy to support.

And I'm open for ideas.

Help please? If you had a decent chunk of cash to throw at an organization in honor of Earth Day, which would it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Ankle Biter

You may want to research Austin's local no-kill animal shelters - they're always looking for additional financial help and the kids might enjoy giving to local animals (maybe even find some homes?). If you get the local news involved, you could promote two worthy causes at once!

As for national organizations, I love Farm Sanctuary and Best Friends.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Housing and medical aid for street people. "Earth Day" has an environmental ring to it... maybe Sea Shepherd. They do fantastic conservation work.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Earth Day is not until April, right? Are you asking for causes or organizations? The three causes I've donated to most are environmental, animal rights, and poverty. Christian Children's Fund(I think they call themselves Child Fund now) does a lot of good and I haven't heard any bad reports about them.
#5 Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Earth Day is not until April, right? Are you asking for causes or organizations? The three causes I've donated to most are environmental, animal rights, and poverty. Christian Children's Fund(I think they call themselves Child Fund now) does a lot of good and I haven't heard any bad reports about them.

I suppose I'm looking for specific organizations whose causes reflect the spirit of Earth Day.

An you're right, it's not 'til April. Unfortunately, the mother-figure is sort of... BOOKED. Her appearances are scheduled through July of 2010. I'm not sure when the cut-off will be for schools that wish to snap her up for this April date, but it will certainly be before April. There will be a drawing, and then the school that wins will probably be told about the organizations she has nominated - aka where their money will go.

I don't know if the classes/kids will look into each organization in the classroom before voting, or what. In any case, I imagine the list will have to be finalized a decent amount of time before April.

I'll be bumping the thread too, probably, and I'm making a list of everyone's suggestions to look into!

I'm thinking something more environmental for Earth Day - it will make more sense to kids, and more sense for the spirit of the day, I think.
#6 Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If I were fabulously well-to-do I'd like to make scholarships for childless vegans without cars.
#7 Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselle View Post

If I were fabulously well-to-do I'd like to make scholarships for childless vegans without cars.

Heh. You start an organization, and I'll present it to Mom for consideration.
#8 Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselle View Post

How about Sea Shepherd or Wildlife Direct?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey you (me), here's a few that might fit the criteria:

The Surfrider Foundation:http://www.surfrider.org/

The core activities and campaigns that the Surfrider Foundation uses to protect our oceans, waves and beaches fall into the categories of Clean Water, Beach Access, Beach Preservation and Protecting Special Places. \t

Solar Electric Light Fund: http://self.org/

The mission of the Solar Electric Light Fund (SELF) is to provide solar power and wireless communications to a quarter of the worlds population living in energy poverty.

The Pachamama Alliance: http://www.pachamama.org/content/view/2/4/

Pachamama has a commitment both to develop tangible, real-life projects through which rainforests provide more direct economic benefit standing than cut as well as to broaden the general economic view so that the value of standing rainforests and the costs associated with their destruction are measured and counted. Our work takes place in two distinct program areas: social and economic development projects in the South and education and awareness building in the North.

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweetness. I'd nearly forgotten about this thread!
#11 Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Sweetness. I'd nearly forgotten about this thread!

Sad. It's your own thread. Who wants to help the world anyways?

The Big Bad.
#12 Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Beginner

I'd find me some cause that could help stop animal testing. Right now it's my biggest pet peeve and I'm just not sure what to do about helping on this front.
#13 Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM

I would donate to ALL of the homeless and womens and animal sheltersIN THE WORLD and make sure ALLl of the people and animals were taken care of...

and

to all of my local food banks....to make sure noone goes hungry...ALL YEAR LONG....not just at The Holidays....

I already do this but WOW this would be awesome if we could help everyone and every animal.
#14 Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I donate 40% of my income to Anti-vivisection societies and the Humane Society.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#15 Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

I donate 40% of my income to Anti-vivisection societies and the Humane Society.

at one that will want to define what smartines is

one that will help to stop aging but still be good
#16 Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, Unovegan, thanks for posting that about Solar Electric Light Fund. That charity seems fascinating, and hits a lot of the areas that I really care about. Development, environmentalism, and educatoin!

Some other ideas are:

Earthjustice

Sierra Club

The Wilderness Society
#17 Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Bat Conservation International!

http://batcon.org/

They are based out of Austin, Texas.

Bats account for 95% of new growth in forested areas of rainforests.

Bats eat their weight in insects every night.

Bat guano has been used to help produce cleaner burning fuels, and life saving antibiotics.

Vampire bat saliva has been used to create a blood thinner that saves stroke victims lives.

150 big brown bats eat enough insects in a summer to protect farmers from over 33 million larval crop pests.

Bats, through seed dispersal and pollination, bring about over 140 economically important crops, including wild bananas, allspice, tequila, agave nectar, (all you vegans!) and cashews.

Save the bats!
#18 Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

There is always the arbor day foundation. www.arbordayfoundation.org Although, you could save that one for arbor day.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page