Newfoundland - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
TracyOBrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
I have to *gasp* COOK?!!!???
TracyOBrien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
Oh wow O.O I didn't expect there would be any vegetarians or vegans in Newfoundland!
Lain is offline  
#63 Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Newbie
 
DeFacto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post

Oh wow O.O I didn't expect there would be any vegetarians or vegans in Newfoundland!







ah indeed, hard to imagine the small fishing community of newfoundland (pop. 89 fishermen) would have a couple of vegetarians.

DeFacto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#64 Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFacto View Post





ah indeed, hard to imagine the small fishing community of newfoundland (pop. 89 fishermen) would have a couple of vegetarians.




XD even in St.John's I don't know that many, only two vegetarians that I can think of who realize that fish is still meat.



Hahahaha, I'm eating vegan toutons right now ^_^
Lain is offline  
#65 Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Newbie
 
DeFacto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post

XD even in St.John's I don't know that many, only two vegetarians that I can think of who realize that fish is still meat.



Hahahaha, I'm eating vegan toutons right now ^_^





well we can accept that very small samples are not reliable indicators of a population can't we ?





I have no doubt that newfoundland has fewer veggies per capita than probably all other provinces (discounting the territories), but its still a very substantial number of course.
DeFacto is offline  
#66 Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFacto View Post

well we can accept that very small samples are not reliable indicators of a population can't we ?





I have no doubt that newfoundland has fewer veggies per capita than probably all other provinces (discounting the territories), but its still a very substantial number of course.



I suppose, someone must be keeping The Sprout in business ^_^
Lain is offline  
#67 Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
lewis595959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Heyy there!



I'm from Corner Brook, but I'm currently attending MUN in St. John's.



I only recently went veggie - 11 days ago, to be exact. The dining hall here on campus has a surprisingly accommodating veggie menu, although most of the dishes use some sort of dairy in them.



Nice to see there are at least a few veg*ns on the rock
lewis595959 is offline  
#68 Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
Hey dude! Congrats on going veggie! Glad to hear dining hall is better now, I lived in Blackall in 2005-2006 and a lot of times I ended up having bagels for supper. I'm excited about going back to MUN in September though now that this time there's an Extreme Pita at the university center.



Also if you ever need stuff to make in the dorm, I went to the Sobey's on Ropewalk Lane yesterday and they got a ton of veggie stuff right now, like Amy's Chilli and Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup, and Nayonaise!
Lain is offline  
#69 Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Newbie
 
lewis595959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post

Hey dude! Congrats on going veggie! Glad to hear dining hall is better now, I lived in Blackall in 2005-2006 and a lot of times I ended up having bagels for supper. I'm excited about going back to MUN in September though now that this time there's an Extreme Pita at the university center.



Also if you ever need stuff to make in the dorm, I went to the Sobey's on Ropewalk Lane yesterday and they got a ton of veggie stuff right now, like Amy's Chilli and Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup, and Nayonaise!



Thanks



I'd like to point out that I went veggie AFTER a full year of dining hall food, so it might not be as good as I say it is (compared to real food).



I'm gonna be heading back to CB for a year in two weeks time (doing a year at SWGC) but I shall definitely stop by the Sobeys on Ropewalk to pick a few things up first
lewis595959 is offline  
#70 Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
My contact in Corner Brook says the same stuff is available out there, but as he's not veggie and might just be trying to lure me out there, might wanna stock up a bit before you go ^_^ Perhaps get a few Larabars for the trip.
Lain is offline  
#71 Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Newbie
 
lewis595959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Larabars? I haven't had a chance to try 'em. (Only been veg for 2 weeks now) Are they good?
lewis595959 is offline  
#72 Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
I like the ginger snap flavour, I haven't had any others. They're small bars and a dollar something each, but pretty dense and filling, made with fruit, nuts and spices, kinda like breakfast bars.



And don't worry, I went vegetarian five years ago and only went vegan last January, tis only now that I'm discovering such good wholesome foods ^_^ My diet didn't change that much when I went vegetarian, and I didn't eat a lot of vegetables, pretty much any dish you can think of you can substitute something for the meat, like the Yves brand of foods have a lot of good imitation meat if you ever find yourself really wanting meat, their "chicken" nuggets taste so close to the real thing I was very suspicious when I first had them. They also have corn dogs (like Pogos), hot dogs, ground "beef", pepperoni, "turkey" slices, sausages, lots of things. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast patties though, kinda nasty.
Lain is offline  
#73 Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Newbie
 
DeFacto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
these larabars you speak of sound intriguing..

can you buy them in larger quantities at a better price though ?









i never liked "fake" meats very much, since i stopped eating animals a few years ago..

i tried a few different ones in the first month or two of being veg, but they didnt really do much for me.
DeFacto is offline  
#74 Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Lain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFacto View Post

these larabars you speak of sound intriguing..

can you buy them in larger quantities at a better price though ?









i never liked "fake" meats very much, since i stopped eating animals a few years ago..

i tried a few different ones in the first month or two of being veg, but they didnt really do much for me.



You could probably order them in bulk online, but I haven't seen any particularly good prices, so for me they are still a sometimes snack XD I'd like to make a little horde of them though, it would be awesome just to carry one or two in my pocket just incase I go to a friend's house or go on a small road trip and there's not much to eat thats vegan.



I'm not big on fake meats anymore either, but they were great when I first started out. Now I only have the veggie ground round and hot dogs, although I find myself using beans in place of the ground round lately, and the hot dogs I love because omnis love them when I wrap pretzel dough around them ^_^ delicious.
Lain is offline  
#75 Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Isabella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,039
I'm just bumping this up for any lost Newfoundlander who may not know there are vegetarians in our fair province.
Isabella is offline  
#76 Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Newbie
 
hunterg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
I've been living here for about a year now and it's great to see that there are other veggies in NFLD and that this feed as been holding on for so long!
hunterg is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off