Newfoundland - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Banned

No, I live in Edmonton, but am from Deer Lake.

The only thing I think will be difficult to find is nutritional yeast. Beyond that, the general "vegan" foods are standard there. A number of doctors recommend tofu products to their high blood pressure/heart patients, so the demand is growing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM

freshtart-i found out that there's a dominion, co-op, and sobey's in gf-w. Someone's got to be selling something vegan there (besides beans and tofu i mean). I'm going to be in training in Mtrl and Halifax, so I'll be bringing some stuff back to nfld with me..

Does anyone know what GF-W is like in terms of a social scene? I'm 26, don't know anyone there, and well would love to go out once in a while
#33 Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Banned

Well, if you ask a local, "what is the social scene like here" they'll blankly stare at you and ask if you mean the welfare office. You won't find many art galleries, but tons of drinking buddies. If you're a church person, lots of local churches, too. The pentecostal church there is very active with some great people.

BTW, just in case, don't call it "New-Found-lind." Don't. Just don't. It's "Newf-in-land."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-05-2005, 11:53 AM

Ha ha. Social scene=welfare?? Hmmm.. No worries about my pronunciation-that's down pat.

drinking buddies? i think that with my job it would look bad if i was going out to the bar or if people knew that my social life consisted of going out with other young people drinking... well i'll find something to do! i know that there's a Y there (or at least it's through a community centre) and there's a lot of trails and that around. lots of hiking in the summer..
#35 Old 05-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

The parks are wonderful. Try to make it to Gros Morne on the West Coast. You can see where a tectonic plate decided to come up for air
#36 Old 06-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

Well, if you ask a local, "what is the social scene like here" they'll blankly stare at you and ask if you mean the welfare office. You won't find many art galleries, but tons of drinking buddies. If you're a church person, lots of local churches, too. The pentecostal church there is very active with some great people.

BTW, just in case, don't call it "New-Found-lind." Don't. Just don't. It's "Newf-in-land."

are you even from newfoundland, freshtart? look at the word newfoundland. new. found. land. say those words separately. notice how there is no "in" sound anywhere in the word? if you're going to give advice to mainlanders, how about you teach them how to say it correctly.
#37 Old 09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, guess what? Good news - St. John's *finally* has a vegetarian restaurant!! It's a really nice little place, with tons of vegan stuff. I tried it for the first time tonight and everything I had was really good.

It's called The Sprout Restaurant and it's located at 364 Duckworth Street. I highly recommend it!

Here's an article I found about it:

http://www.theindependent.ca/article.asp?AID=795&ATID=8
#38 Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got back from Newfoundland. Too bad I was their on a Friday .. fish day. Ooops.
#39 Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

So is it pronounced new-FOUND-land? Or NEW-finland?

In Nova Scotia everyone pronounced it new-FOUND-land, and that's how I heard it on the radio & news programmes from NF. If so, how do you guys pronounce the name of the dog breed?

I'd love to visit this summer, but only if I know how to pronounce the name right. I got burned bad in New Orleans. Er... Nawlins, that is.
#40 Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It's pronounced new fund LAND. And the dog is pronounced new fund LAND dog.
#41 Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for clearing that up
#42 Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl2beaver View Post

It's pronounced new fund LAND. And the dog is pronounced new fund LAND dog.

That's exactly it Pronouncing it "new FOUND land" kind of rubs me the wrong way, even though that's how it really should be pronounced.

Newfoundland is beautiful!
#43 Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Beginner

My husband is from Newfoundland (Bay Roberts). My husband and also his family have been telling me I would starve when we go up there to visit (been married five years, but I haven't been yet, although I'm really looking forward to going some day).

Do the grocery stores carry soy milk and tofu and things like that, or are there some natural foods stores where these things can be bought?

Also, my father-in-law told me that for my screeching-in, I could kiss one of the wild tofus that live in the southern part of the island. Is this true? ;-)
#44 Old 10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Eating vegan in NFLD can be tough or it can be easy, depending on where you go. I'm not familiar with stores in that area, but I had a lot of luck with one of the grocery chains in Gander (I forget which one, a variation of Superstore I believe). There was soy milk, and lots of non-dairy options, etc They had a well stocked 'natural/organic food section'. If you're able to cook for yourself, it should be no problem at all.

We were actually pleasantly surprised on our visit to Gros Morne when we finally found Java Jacks in Rocky Harbour. They sold a take-out "vegan wrap" (I nearly fell over when I saw the word "vegan" after a couple of days of having a hard time finding vegan food) And they also had an item not on the menu called the vegan dream or something like that, and it was a stuffed pepper and sooo good!

So yes, it is possible, but a bit trickier in smaller towns (those grocery stores didn't carry much in the way of vegan-friendly non-dairy type items).
#45 Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Beginner

Thanks, fyvel. That's helpful. I imagine I'll be able to get whatever I need in St. John's and take it with me to Bay Roberts.
#46 Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post

Thanks, fyvel. That's helpful. I imagine I'll be able to get whatever I need in St. John's and take it with me to Bay Roberts.

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have a problem in St John's. It's much bigger than little ole' Gander, where I found lots of goodies

When do you plan on going?
#47 Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

It was probably Dominion, they have the best natural foods sections. A lot of Sobey's have them too but for some reason they don't have refridgerators in theirs, so there is a limit to what kinds of things they can carry.

I don't believe the Dominion in Bay Roberts has a natural foods section but they should have things like soy milk and tofu, and probably Yves and Presdent's choice brand fake meat type things.
#48 Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Minibean. That helps.

fyvel, we don't have any concrete plans yet. We want to be there for at least a couple of months, so we have to work out when and how we can do that. I know I'm going to love it though.
#49 Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

May I recommend a summer trip?
#50 Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Beginner

LOL

Thanks for the tip!

#51 Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Another newfie here
#52 Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 PM

hey newfies
#53 Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM

I didn't read all of this thread...but I am a Newfie!

I was born in Ontario,but raised up here since I was 4 yrs old! I live in St.Johns and love it here!
#54 Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi again. I live in Central Newfoundland but I was born in St. John's. I believe there are a few others here that live in St. John's.
#55 Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm just outside the merto area and love living on the rock as well.
#56 Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

st. john's, here
#57 Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

How ya doin' me ol' trout?
#58 Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFacto View Post

st. john's, here

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

How ya doin' me ol' trout?

I Newfish speak!!!

(I'm not a Newfie, I just play one on TV - no just kidding I'm actually half Newfie. My Mom is from NFLD and comes from a big family so I have lots of relatives there too!)
#59 Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM

I just moved back Home after a looooong 6 years in Edmonton. I was a vegetarian before I went to Edmonton but found it exceedingly easy to eat vegetarian out there b/c I had lots of vegetarian & vegan friends. Since I moved back though, it's been a total pain! I got spoiled in Alberta, I think.

I don't know a single vegetarian now and living around the bay makes it even trickier. The looks I get when I tell people that I don't eat meat and the wonder in their eyes as they ask, "Well, what DO you eat???" Cracks me up everytime but I'm starting to get tired of the lack of choices.

Okay. Done complaining.

Anyone have any strategies (other than "The Sprout" on Duckworth Street - which is an excellent restaurant - or Dominion stores?)? I guess it would just be nice to hear from some other Newfoundland vegetarians...
#60 Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Tracy! Nice to "meet" you.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "strategies"? Some of the Sobeys here (St. John's) have a good selection of specialty veg*n foods, as well as Dominion. If you're used to eating out a lot, I can see how that would be hard here. No advice there, other than learn to like cooking! (If you don't already.)

Newfoundland veggies do exist, as you can see by this thread, we're just not as plentiful as in some other places!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page