bad
Veggie Regular

hey leah welcome to the boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

so anyone have any cool place to go for vegan fun?? in nb sj rothesay? where ever??? any web site store resurants clubs meetings anything? anything vegan related in sj? or vegan friendly?
#63 Old 09-01-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad View Post

woa this is so cool i never thought their'd be any vegans in sj area i live in rothesay welcome all! this is so cool, sorry Dharma Mike as fare as i know their are still no vegan improvement no veg*n resturants as of yet *muhahaha* about the asian markeys i'm not all too clean i live in rothesay but i do spend lots on time in south end with friends in market square their is a little asian section that do sell some vegan foods their are probobly more i'm just not sure where they are located welcome all, hope to hear from you!

Thanks for replying. I've talked the owners of a Chinese veg restaurant here in Calgary to Purolating me dry ingredients and bottles of sauce from their restaurant. The restaurant is www.buddhasveggie.com I have basically lived there since I moved here. So maybe things will be ok after all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 09-02-2004, 05:48 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

sounds cool, so anyone have any cool vegan things to do in this town?
#65 Old 09-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I read in 'Here' a while back that there is a veg*n restaurant for SJ in the works. It'll be called Sarsparilla, should it ever actually come into being. Until then, I guess it's to Cafe Calactus, but Asian Palace in Market Square has good veggie stuff if you like Indian food.

And no, bad, there's not a heck of a lot... though I went to high school with the girl who owns www.hungryvegan.com and I happen to know she organizes picnics and holiday dinners for area veggies and open-minded omnis (mostly SOs I would imagine!). She's redesigning it at this point, I believe, but staying tuned is always a good idea.

ETA: Krista, I'm going back to Sackville on monday! You're terribly jealous, I know
#66 Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

cool, wonder when that'll be done???
#67 Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

I read in 'Here' a while back that there is a veg*n restaurant for SJ in the works. It'll be called Sarsparilla, should it ever actually come into being. Until then, I guess it's to Cafe Calactus, but Asian Palace in Market Square has good veggie stuff if you like Indian food.

I've heard good things about Asian Palace from friends. Is that Thai restaurant (suwanna) still in the west side? They'll make alot of their dishes veg if you ask (gotta watch out for fish sauce though)
#68 Old 09-04-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

ETA: Krista, I'm going back to Sackville on monday! You're terribly jealous, I know

Does Dave Torrance (aka Paddington Bear) still teach (history)? If so, tell him Krista says hi
#69 Old 09-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, he does! I've never had him though... what class(es) did you have him for?
#70 Old 09-04-2004, 08:48 PM

75% of my major
#71 Old 09-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

That's quite a bit.. history major, eh? I've taken a class with his assistant Elaine Naylor, who was very good. Boring class, but good professor. Being in Fine Arts has afforded me little contact with the university outside. We have our own little world in those studios. They made Virgil Hammock retire though... pissed me off. He always gave me A's.

I'm back in Sackville now, so if I run into the guy, I'll be sure to pass on your greetings
#72 Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 PM

He has an assistant now?

Virgil retired?!?!?!?!?! I figured he would die in place Is Dave Beatty still there? He was on death's door years ago
#73 Old 09-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure Virgil would've preferred it that way! He still hangs around and complains about it... his retirement wasn't exactly willing.

And Dave Beatty is gone, though only as of two years ago. Not sure what happened to him.
#74 Old 10-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Any vegan suggestions for someone who seems allergic (violently!!) to most vegetarian protein sources? I can't eat any peanuts, almonds, cashews, ...all nuts basically; same for chick peas, lentils, and all soy products. I've been told by the doctor's it's basically the entire "leguminous" (sp??) family.
#75 Old 10-18-2004, 06:18 PM

I just discovered that the super store east sellls tofutti better than cream cheese, plain and herbed something or other.

Buy it up...or they might stop selling it, and because it's damn good!
#76 Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Superstore east is the one by the staples, yes? (Forgive me, I live in Quispamsis ) The one up there sells the stuff too. Including the soy ice cream and cuties. All of their products I've tried kick some serious booty.
#77 Old 10-20-2004, 06:07 AM

Hello again,

Yes I was referring to the the super store by staples.

I agree that Tofutti makes some delicious vegan products. Mmmmm I vanilla fudge tofutti ice cream.
#78 Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Vanilla fudge is my favourite too! I only wish they had the wildberry because I heard that was the best one.. only conventional flavours.

The one in Quispam has tofurkey feasts too. They have those in town?
#79 Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

omg someone from kv?
#80 Old 10-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup I think you PMed me a while ago! You live in Rothesay, right?
#81 Old 10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

omg yeah!!! lol i'm a tiny bit dence, but ya whoo rothesay :eyeroll: well at least rhs is cool, and the boats intresting....... except i think thats in quispam too.....
#82 Old 10-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't know much about RHS! I went to KVHS. Which boat?
#83 Old 10-25-2004, 12:11 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

River boat bowling and theater place next to big jumbo super cool new super store, with the big organic section mmmmmmm organic.... oh yeah lol anyway the boat as in the river boat with the bar bowling resturant pizza/tacobell express movies and arcade boat
#84 Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, yes.. should've known! Never heard it called the boat..but then I don't go there too often. That organic section in superstore is awesome!
#85 Old 10-26-2004, 03:21 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

yeah i wish sobeys would get one yea actually i havent been their in a while either, now with studio ten it seems they never get the newer movies

, also you should check out sessions the little cafe owned my jim simpson right next to sobey. they make killer soylattes or chia teas or w/e coffee drink normaly has milk mmmmm i love sessions soo goood oops now i need a coffee fix later!
#86 Old 10-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been to sessions a couple times! You're right, they have really good coffee but I don't get down there much. Kinda shocking for a cafe in a strip mall, huh? Superstore kicks Sobeys' butt.. except the bakery. Sobey's has the better bakery.
#87 Old 10-30-2004, 07:13 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

is there anything vegan in sobeys bakery???? i only attempted to get info once it was too much of a pain, the girl when across the room got the book and read it to me from over there when i as to see the book she said no sorry not alound and when back over to yell out some more ingredients
#88 Old 11-21-2004, 04:13 PM

I'm moving to the Woodstock area and just wondering if anyone is aware of any veggie restaurants or food stores there. I assume there is at least a Superstore.
#89 Old 11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Mtnjam There should be a superstore, but the only veggie restaurant I know of in the area is Cafe Calactus in Moncton. There will likely be a Sobey's too, and they sometimes have a decent selection (sometimes).
#90 Old 11-21-2004, 10:19 PM
MJM

Hi all,

For all of those who may not have been following the CBC has a TV series called The Greatest Canadian. Over the summer Canadians voted and the CBC has made episodes about the top ten nominees. Among them is David Suzuki.

In the next few days voting will stop (maybe on Wednesday, maybe later on in the week, CBC hasn't been clear) and the person with the most votes will win.

David Suzuki is probably best known to Canadians as the long time host of the program The Nature of Things. His life story is of course much larger than the television program. Suzuki grew up in a Japanese internment camp in British Comumbia. He went on to become a highly regarded genetisist, who wasn't shy to become involved in the civil rights movement in the United States, or to take on big corporations and government for their abuse of the environment. He also thought it was important to disseminate the information he learned in a an academic context to the public, rather than a more traditional root of academic work for purely academic sake.

There are a few great Canadians in the list of the top ten. One of the reasons I will vote for Suzuki is that it sends a message to CBC that there are a lot of Canadians who would like to see more of David Suzuki on the channel. Most of the other candidates on the list are dead and while a number of them are true heros a vote for them would likely bring little tangible change to our world. A vote for Suzuki sends a message to CBC that Canadians think he is important and may help to give Suzuki a little publicity in the media.

Picking a greatest Canadian isn't easy, but if you feel like me and think David Suzuki is deserving, then vote as soon as you can. If not vote for who you think is best. For those of you voting for someone else, or for Suzuki, I'd love to hear your pick.

MJM

Below I've included some information on how to vote and on David Suzuki.

For all the details on voting visit. http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/

If you would like to learn more about Suzuki there are some great video clips at:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-74-663/.../david_suzuki/

The videos have all kinds of info on Suzuki, from death threats, his his early life, his love of the environment, his teaching philosophy, his battles against discrimination, a semi nude pose he did for a magazine to show the benefits of healthy living, even a skit he did with the Royal Canadian Air Farce etc....

TIME TO VOTE! (From CBC Site)

There are THREE ways to vote for your Greatest Canadian.

1. On the Web : All you need is a valid email address. You can vote once per episode, per email address.

2. By Toll-Free Telephone : Dial 1-866-303-VOTE (8683) and follow the instructions. The first five votes, per phone number, per episode will be counted (dont forget to vote using your cell phone, too!).

3. By Text Message : Using your text-enabled cell phone, text the first or last name of the nominee to CBC10 (22210). You can text your vote once per episode, per text device.

DAVID SUZUKI (From CBC site)

A world-renowned geneticist, academic and broadcaster, Dr. David Suzuki has spent the past 40 years educating the public about environmental issues, both in the classroom and over the airwaves.

David Suzuki

As the long-running host of CBC's The Nature of Things and the author of more than 30 books, Suzuki has been called a 'gladiatorial geneticist' who mixes education with entertainment to get his ideas across to the public. Never one to step down from a fight, the passionate and often controversial Suzuki has earned a well-deserved reputation as an environmental guru for two generations of Canadians.

David T. Suzuki and his twin sister Marcia were born in Vancouver, B.C. in 1936. His early years were spent living with his family in the back of their dry-cleaning business in Marpole, a primarily white neighbourhood. His father Kaoru "Carr" Suzuki, an avid outdoorsman, helped shape Suzuki's interest in nature early by taking his son on camping and fishing trips.

His life was uprooted in 1942 when the Suzuki family was sent to an internment camp following the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbour. The next three years of Suzuki's life were spent living in an abandoned hotel in a former gold rush town. On top of the indignities he and his family experienced, he also became a target for other Japanese youth for his refusal to disavow his Canadian roots.

After the war, Suzuki and his family were relocated to Ontario where they eventually settled in London. A bright student from a young age, Suzuki enrolled in Amherst College in Massachusetts on a scholarship in 1954. Originally intending to go on to medical school, a third-year genetics class altered his course after he learned of the "detective story" behind genetics research. After graduating from Amherst in 1958, he earned his PhD in Zoology from the University of Chicago before returning to Canada, with his young family in tow. He took on his first teaching jobs, at University of Alberta in 1962, then at the University of British Columbia the subsequent year.

It was around this time that he began appearing as a guest on several TV shows, in part out of curiosity and in part as an effort to drum up public support for what he considered the woefully under-funded sciences. After seeing what effect he was having, he made the move to national broadcasting in 1971 as host of the weekly CBC Television show Suzuki on Science. Four years later he founded CBC Radio's Quirks and Quarks, which gained a loyal audience thanks to its irreverent attitude and use of news headlines as the basis of its science stories.

In 1979, Suzuki became the host of The Nature of Things, which became one of CBC Television's most popular and respected shows. In the three decades since the award-winning program began, it has featured in-depth documentaries on such topics as the birth of the human mind; the language of animals; the pathology of psychopaths; medical marijuana; the growth of big business farming; and the future of the Arctic. A groundbreaking 1987 episode focused on the emerging AIDS/HIV epidemic, providing many Canadians with their first understanding of the disease.

In 1990, he founded the David Suzuki Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to finding innovative solutions to help conserve the natural world. Most recently the organization has advocated for Canada to back the implementation of the United Nations Kyoto Protocol on greenhouse gas reduction.

Suzuki has been awarded numerous recognitions, including a UNESCO prize for science, a United Nations Environment Program medal and an induction as an Officer of the Order of Canada. He has 15 honorary doctorates from universities in Canada, the U.S. and Australia. In addition, Canada's First Nations people have honoured him with five native names and he has been formally adopted by two tribes.

Now retired from teaching, Suzuki has dedicated himself full-time to educating the public about the importance of the natural world. It's a role that places him alongside the likes of Carl Sagan and Jacques Cousteau, and makes him one of the world's most effective ambassadors of science - and our future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page