Nova Scotia - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#121 Old 09-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane View Post

I've found nutritional yeast at the bulk barn (also at some health food place in halifax). I think I also saw some in atlantic superstore, but I can't remember, I've been finding it randomly.

For the record I live in Shearwater, and as a military brat I'm not technicly from anywhere, though I've lived in halifax since 96, and both my parents are cape bretoners.

I found it in the bulk barn, thanks

I was really suprised by how it tasted, some people described it as cheesy...I did not think it tasted like that at all! though it does have an interesting flavour.

And I think living here for an extended period of time+NSer parents prettymuch makes you a Nova Scotian. I consider myself one for those reasons , oh and I went to school last year near you, at NSCC waterfront. Pretty nice campus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

I found it in the bulk barn, thanks

I was really suprised by how it tasted, some people described it as cheesy...I did not think it tasted like that at all! though it does have an interesting flavour.

And I think living here for an extended period of time+NSer parents prettymuch makes you a Nova Scotian. I consider myself one for those reasons , oh and I went to school last year near you, at NSCC waterfront. Pretty nice campus.

I found it kinda cheesy when added to other things. Currently I've only made a few things using it (as I'm incredably lazy and cook only simple things 95% of the time). I like it on popcorn with salt.

I consider myself a Cape Bretoner born on the road (as I spent every summer there until I was about 10, but still visit for a few weeks every year).

I've never actually really looked at the campus, just glimpses on the bus as I go buy. When I an on the bus I try not to look around to much, as I don't like having to engage in random converstations with people.
#123 Old 09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok....I thought this would probably only matter/make sense to nova scotians so.....

behold my vegetarian donair:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know where to buy tempeh in Halifax?
#125 Old 10-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello! Unfortunately I do not know where you can get tempeh. Have you tried health food stores like planet organic? I would think they might have it. Either way, hello to another NSer. I might be moving to hali in a month so if you find out a place, let me know
#126 Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Oh I never though of Planet Organic for some reason. I think I'll give them a call and ask them.

Moving to Hali eh? That's pretty cool, I love it down here.
#127 Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Hopefully moving to Hali soon. I am actually filling out the application for an apartment as we speak . I actually absolutely adore halifax. Right now I live about 45 mins out on the shore, but I go in quite a bit to hang out and to go downtown with friends. Are you from Halifax or there for school, ect?
#128 Old 11-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic View Post

I was just in Halifax last week for a conference. I didn't get a chance to go to the Heartwood Bakery, which was disappointing. But I did go to the Wooden Monkey. I was very confused as to why they label a bunch of dishes loaded with cheese as "vegan."

I asked the waiter if he could make on of their "vegan" dishes actually vegan, and that was no problem. I had the seitan sandwich with vegan cheese and dijon instead of mayo. It was really good.

Not that confusing, actually. If you read the menu, you'll see that dishes labeled with a 'V' are meals that are either vegan or can be made vegan upon request. It's nice that you were pleasant with the waitstaff about it though.
#129 Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

And...I am moving all my stuff to Halifax today!

Yay! (cept for the packing and lugging around boxes part...that prettymuch just sucks)
#130 Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:

And...I am moving all my stuff to Halifax today!

Yay! (cept for the packing and lugging around boxes part...that prettymuch just sucks)

YAY! I hope your move went smoothly. Today was a big day for me too, not only is it my first year vegaversary, it was my first time eating at the Wooden Monkey and I went with two omnis who also loved it.
#131 Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on 1 year, that's awesome!!! How did you like the Wooden Monkey(I am assuming it was good from the omni approval)? I need to make a point of trying the different veg places out

Hahaha...the move went...not so smoothly -.-

My dad threw a huge (seriously, like a 10 pound ball of keys) off the back of the truck, for me to catch. In the dark. While my hands were full. I caught it with my face Now I sport a very nice pair of black eyes. And somehow I managed to crush my fingers more times than humanly possible. Otherwise, it went great and I am looking forward to unpacking a lot more than packing. I am bringing the furkids to the apartment later today, and I will be spending my first night there. So excited.
#132 Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Hi folks! I'm new to the boards, I'm vegetarian for just over a year, living in the Halifax area. I'm working on exploring the vegetarian restaurants, and slowly converting my family to vegetarianism, bit by bit...I almost have mother off meats other fish entirely! Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'd like to start with this one:

Quote:

Ok....I thought this would probably only matter/make sense to nova scotians so.....

behold my vegetarian donair:

Sweet merciful zeus...where did you get that, and how do I get one???
#133 Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post

Hi folks! I'm new to the boards, I'm vegetarian for just over a year, living in the Halifax area. I'm working on exploring the vegetarian restaurants, and slowly converting my family to vegetarianism, bit by bit...I almost have mother off meats other fish entirely! Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'd like to start with this one:

Sweet merciful zeus...where did you get that, and how do I get one???

Welcome to the boards!

And....LMAO. That is a homemade donair! I can give you the "approximate" recipe (because I am more of a guesser than an exact measurer) after I finish unpacking my boxes . It isn't very hard at all to make, and it tastes like pure awesomeness rolled up inside a pita.
#134 Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Welcome to the boards!

And....LMAO. That is a homemade donair! I can give you the "approximate" recipe (because I am more of a guesser than an exact measurer) after I finish unpacking my boxes . It isn't very hard at all to make, and it tastes like pure awesomeness rolled up inside a pita.

I would also like this approximate recipe....Please!
#135 Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I would also like this approximate recipe....Please!

No problem As soon as I have enough boxes put away that I can see the floor of my apartment I will devulge the secret (good juju) donair recipe. And make myself one. Because now I am craving one really badly. I made a batch of the "(good juju)meat" and gave it to my uncle and aunt in exchange for a Thanksgiving tofurkey, and they said it was also good for spicy steak sammiches.
#136 Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Congrats on 1 year, that's awesome!!! How did you like the Wooden Monkey(I am assuming it was good from the omni approval)? I need to make a point of trying the different veg places out

Hahaha...the move went...not so smoothly -.-

My dad threw a huge (seriously, like a 10 pound ball of keys) off the back of the truck, for me to catch. In the dark. While my hands were full. I caught it with my face Now I sport a very nice pair of black eyes. And somehow I managed to crush my fingers more times than humanly possible. Otherwise, it went great and I am looking forward to unpacking a lot more than packing. I am bringing the furkids to the apartment later today, and I will be spending my first night there. So excited.

I actually didn't remember that it was 1 year until about 730 at night. I really liked the Wooden Monkey, and I don't get why people complain about things being labeled vegan that aren't, the menu is labeled with things that can be veganized if they aren't already (or also made gluten free, which means I can bring my Mom there, as she's thinks shes allergic to gluten).

Sorry about the black eyes, but the best moving stories always involve injuries or damage to major furnature (like a big scratch on the fridge door). I hope the fur kids didn't freak out too much. We're moving in the next few months and I know mine will flip their lids.
#137 Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:

No problem As soon as I have enough boxes put away that I can see the floor of my apartment I will devulge the secret (good juju) donair recipe. And make myself one. Because now I am craving one really badly.

Tell me where you live, and I will come help you unpack :P

Donair and seafood are the only things I occasionally crave! I wish I knew of somewhere in Halifax to get some veggie tuna or crab...anyone know of anywhere?
#138 Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Hmm...things got suddenly quiet...was it something I said?
#139 Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Beginner

#140 Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope! Definately not. I am about elbow deep in boxes these days, lol, so it can be hard to dig myself out enough to find the computer as is. I can help you with your donair issue possibly, however seafood- no help here. I never even ate seafood as an omni. I'm sure some NSer should be able to though...*pokes VB NSers*
#141 Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Well, it sounds like the unpacking is going well at least? I looked around the other day in the Asian grocery place on Quinpool, and didn't find anything...so I went and ordered some stuff online! From the one place that ships to Canada...it should arrive some time next week, so I'll let you know how it works out
#142 Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

well..The unpacking is coming anyway :P

Do let us know how your package ships and how it is when you get it, for sure. I think I am going to end up ordering soem veg gummy bears really soon, for some reason I have the worst craving!
#143 Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Donair and seafood are the only things I occasionally crave! I wish I knew of somewhere in Halifax to get some veggie tuna or crab...anyone know of anywhere?

I wouldn't be able to help you. I could never eat seafood as an omni (I told my parents repeatedly when I was younger that fish are pets, and you don't eat pets, and I had and still have complete breakdowns when people eat lobster/crabs in front of me [tears and snot and screaming and hyperventilating and no one can talk me down]). I also have never eaten a donair, veggie or otherwise (they look completely disgusting to me). I'm the worst Nova Scotian ever.
#144 Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Don't worry arcane; as long as you know the words to the majority of Great Big Sea and/or Stan Rogers and/or Rankin Family songs, you can completely redeem yourself If not, we may have to banish you to New Brunswick :P
#145 Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Don't worry arcane; as long as you know the words to the majority of Great Big Sea and/or Stan Rogers and/or Rankin Family songs, you can completely redeem yourself If not, we may have to banish you to New Brunswick :P

I was born in New Brunswick, shhhh. Great Big Sea is Newfie though, and as a Cape Bretoner born on the road I can't get too much behind them. Know all the words to every Rankin song though (I've been singing a gaelic song for days after I heard a few notes from their special on tv the other night).
#146 Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't be able to help you. I could never eat seafood as an omni (I told my parents repeatedly when I was younger that fish are pets, and you don't eat pets, and I had and still have complete breakdowns when people eat lobster/crabs in front of me [tears and snot and screaming and hyperventilating and no one can talk me down]). I also have never eaten a donair, veggie or otherwise (they look completely disgusting to me). I'm the worst Nova Scotian ever.

Psht. You arn't a Nova Scotia at all. Leave *points to door*

Nah, I'm just kidding. You can stay. Just no more derogatory veg donair comments.consider this your only warning......

(I'm just kidding. Of course. So long as you meet the other strict criteria for being a NSer. We don't let em in easy)
#147 Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Beginner

I snuck in with the military as a child. In veg news I went to Talay Thai saturday night, with an omni friend, and the waiter asked if we were vegan. It was a pleasant surprise.
#148 Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I was born in New Brunswick, shhhh. Great Big Sea is Newfie though, and as a Cape Bretoner born on the road I can't get too much behind them. Know all the words to every Rankin song though (I've been singing a gaelic song for days after I heard a few notes from their special on tv the other night).

Well, yes, Great Big Sea is from Newfoundland...and Stan Rogers is from Ontario, but a few people, like yourself, see the light and come to our side!

Trying to sneak across the border, were you? Made the run across the marshes? That small section of no man's land on the 104 always freaks me out

So, where is Talay Thai? It sounds interesting!
#149 Old 12-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Trying to sneak across the border, were you? Made the run across the marshes? That small section of no man's land on the 104 always freaks me out

So, where is Talay Thai? It sounds interesting!

I remember there was camo paint, screaming, and mud. Oh the mud.

Talay Thai is on Barrington, down near the superstore. It's in the old location of the Clay Cafe. Apparently some of their veg dishes use fish sauce (which to me makes it non veg) but if you ask they prepare it without (and it's written on your reciept NO FISH SAUCE). The waitress we had was right on the ball. And for two people the bill was only $25 (we only had water to drink though).
#150 Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Hmm, Talay Thai may be the place for my next outing...

I received my package of fake lobster, crab, and salmon a couple of days ago! When it arrived, it wasn't fully frozen, but it was still very cold, and partially frozen. It took about 3-4 days to arrive. The final cost was probably about $70, so if you were to ask me is it worth it? Hmm, I'll tell you on Christmas when I eat the lobster.

By the way, counting hours...how's the unpacking? If you choose to read that as "any progress on the veggie donair recipe yet" that would be entirely up to you, but I wouldn't protest it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page