Nova Scotia - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The Just Us! cafe in Wolfville & Roastery in Grand Pre both have plenty of veg, some vegan, mostly organic fare. Kentville is a wasteland, although Cafe Central does a veg wrap & has soymilk for smoothies & coffee.

Then there's always Harvey's in New Minas for their veggieburger...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-09-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post

There are a few Chinese resturants in New Minas so you may have some luck there. I also heard there is a Sushi place there now too and Japanese resturants often have some tofu dishes and veggie rolls.

Don't go to Kao restaurant (in New Minas). They have absolutely nothing!
#63 Old 04-15-2006, 08:45 PM

thanks all soooo much. Any Yarmouth activists out there? I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but it is specific to NS. Apparently, there are plans to build an aquarium in Yarmouth to make it more of a tourist attraction. Thoughts? Personally, I don't like the idea. I've been to Yarmouth once (we stay in Annapolis Royal area so it's a drive) and I thought the lighthouse was quite interesting on its own. After all, why would anyone want to go to an aquarium when the ocean is right outside? *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 04-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

They are desperate to bring industry of any kind to Yarmouth.

Since 99.9% of the tourists coming to NS are doing so to eat lobster suppers, clam chowder, & the like, &/or go fishing or hunting, an aquarium should be right up their alley.
#65 Old 05-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Anyone from Lower Sackville?
#66 Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I visit Lower Sackville every week to stay with my bf.

He's an omni but I'm quite vegan.

Lr Sackville is a wasteland for veg food.

Hopefully you get into Hfx frequently for trips to more veg-friendly places/activities.
#67 Old 05-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

I guess I'll post here. Hey, there's a possibility that I may move to Halifax, so then I'd be posting here anyway

XXOO
#68 Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hah, thanks baemonns I am living in Halifax now, but I have a friend from New Glasgow! From what I hear, it's a nice spot.
#69 Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hah, thanks baemonns I am living in Halifax now, but I have a friend from New Glasgow! From what I hear, it's a nice spot.

It's nice here, but definitely not veg*n-friendly!! Very hard to find a single vegan item on most menus in town.
#70 Old 05-29-2006, 10:25 PM

Wow, this thread is booming!

I'm in Hali, nice to meet y'all.
#71 Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM

HI!

Halifax here!

formerly of Stellarton (:

I love Home Grown Organic Foods on Allan Street for my groceries.

Dio Mio's, Paper Chase, and the Wooden Monkey are my favourites for foods.
#72 Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Teresa Pete's Frootique is my favourite place for groceries in Hali. I've become addicted to that place. I could spend all day in there.
#73 Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM

oh yea! I forgot about Petes frootique. They have Organic Pink Lady apples... delicious.

But they too have Earthbound Farm crap, and I'm just not all over that.
#74 Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

There must be something I don't know about Earthbound farms. I prefer to pick my own apples and stuff, but for prewashed bags of lettuce or baby spinach it's always seemed pretty good.
#75 Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaAnnaMae View Post

oh yea! I forgot about Petes frootique. They have Organic Pink Lady apples... delicious.

But they too have Earthbound Farm crap, and I'm just not all over that.

I just bought a 3 lbs bag of organic pink lady apples from the Superstore on Quinpool.
#76 Old 07-13-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I just bought a 3 lbs bag of organic pink lady apples from the Superstore on Quinpool.

yeah! i was at the Joseph Howe SS tonight and saw them! tasty nibblets. too bad i already bought apples for the next few days.

they're just the best apples, eh?
#77 Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel like I'm missing something. What's wrong with Earthbound Farms?
#78 Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I feel like I'm missing something. What's wrong with Earthbound Farms?

haha, sorry to leave you hanging.

I just have a 'beef' with them. There's no way I can prove this except for my own observations and conspiracies.

IMO, USDA Organic is a joke in most large coorporation situations (ie; earthbound) their food doesn't even look organic let alone taste organic. The regulations are so slack in the US about organics, the Dept of Agriculture there is not the best. For instance, they have mutant strawberries! Clearly GMO'd and gross gross gross.

I only give them my money when i'm desperate for broccoli or spinich, which isn't that often. hahaha

If that sounds crazy you can ignore me ;D
#79 Old 07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Teresa- you can pm me again, I cleaned out the inbox.

Stellarton's as bad as the rest as Pictou County for vegans!!

All the damned "homecooking" around here.... every restaurant is all about seafoods, other meats, & grease.

You are lucky to be in Hfx.... everytime I visit I go crazy for the awesome foods available.
#80 Old 08-11-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post

Our Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animal group are writing letters and are thinking of starting a petition. We're having an anit-fur protest at school tomorrow. Barry Crozier, the head of our group, is very heavily into this sort of thing. He's a member of the Humane Society and was in charge of the seal hunt protest in Bedford last year. We didn't know very much about the mink farming... if it's okay, I'm going to pass your contact information on to him.

I was just typing up my letter now... I'm glad I came on here and checked this out.

Hi Everyone, I'm from Wolfville.....I am new to veggieboards - just wondering what ever took place with the mink farms....and with the museum....I am currently looking for local organizations I can get involved with - I have just contacted ARCH today.

Any information you can give me would be great!
#81 Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndeezer View Post

I'm from Wolfville....

this world is pretty small
#82 Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys - I'm new on here, just found you today. I live in Halifax, have been here with my husband for about a year and a half, and I like it a lot. I have to say, though, that the veggie selection in restaurants could improve a bit - I don't think we need more Just veggie places (would be nice, though) but the restaurants we do have should have more veggie options than a veggie burger - anyone else sick of salads and pastas with veggies instead of meat?

But I also really like Great Ocean. I live just behind the Bens Bakery on Quinpool, so it's really close. sweeet...

I'm about to be a mom.... any parents on here?
#83 Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Nookle, a month ago I lived just a few streets away from you! The corner of South and Seymour. I've just moved to London, England though

I agree about the veggie selection in restaurants. Not so good at all... though I would highly recommend checking out Anatolia on Dresden Row. It's a Turkish restaurant and *very* good at that. They don't have a huge selection, but their veggie kebab is lovely.

There's also Satisfaction Feast. It's near Pizza Corner and totally vegetarian/vegan. I never got the chance to go, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Good luck with the pregnancy!
#84 Old 10-07-2006, 07:06 PM

I am in Halifax right now. Could anyone tell me where I can buy vegan margarine?
#85 Old 10-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotia View Post

I am in Halifax right now. Could anyone tell me where I can buy vegan margarine?

Pete's Fruitique and Planet Organic both carry Earth Balance, which is 100% vegan & some of it is even organic.

Both these places have many excellent vegan options.
#86 Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just out walking around, and saw a poster for a big vegan potluck for this Wednesday - the first. Anyone know anything about it? Anyone been before? It's somewhere on the dal campus. Just thinking, I'm somewhere between vegan and vegetarian, and I was wondering how anal people can be, if I'll be really out of place. Or if it's really open to all.

anybody?
#87 Old 11-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure that it will be fine if you go. Just be sure that you bring a vegan dish.
#88 Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Hello Nova Scotians I don't post here much, but I do still check in when I remember and thought I would say hi

I recently picked up a copy of 'A Cure for Vegoraphobia - A Vegan Dining Guide to Halifax' for 5 bones at the Just Us Cafe...I'm L/O but it is still a great little book to carry around.
#89 Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Hey,

I just found this site today, very nice to see a section from Halifax. I will agree with you the veggie sections are bad at the restaurants around here. I actually find Jungle Jims to have one of the largests. I get very creative and manage to find something...even if its a burger without the burger (with no mayo or cheese..hahah...pretty much a sandwich with lettuce and tomatos). I often get the looks but it works. The only place I have ever gone that I had to leave before ordering was The Keg...I should have known...hahahah
#90 Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

Halifax has at least two vegan resturants which i've been too and love.

Heartwood cafe

Satisfaction feast

I dream of my rare trips there to enjoy my vegan bliss.

Also its my hometowm, before i moved up here to rothesay nb >.> we have no vegan resturants at all T.T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page