Nova Scotia - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Can't wait to got to Halifax. Will be there (again-lived there in summer of 2003) for training for a week at the beginning of June. Hellloooooo Satisfaction Feast!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-19-2005, 07:57 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

hey guys, i'm back (after a long time),

how i've missed these boards. anyways, as it turns out now my dad is currently living in bedford, ns. not sure yet if we will be moving there anytime soon, but my visits to this fine province will certainly become more frequent. so welcome hi and hello to any one new or old. i'm B.A.D., nice to meet you/see you again. whats been going on?

also does anyone have any sugestion/info on veg*n places/activities in the halifax area?

Place's i'd sugest:

Heartwood cafe ~ vegan bakery and veg*n foods, great little place with amazing food and staff, a must see for any veg*n near the area. i believe its located on quinpool road, frozen oceans naturla food store is also on quinpool but on the other side and about 2 block away. p.s. heartwood also has vegan pizza

Wooden Monkey~ veg*n options great place

Satisfaction Feast~ very yummy but pricey

bye for now!
#33 Old 08-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only ever been to the Wooden Monkey ... I don't get into the city that often, lol, and especially not for veg*n food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-09-2005, 11:10 PM

I'm in the HRM area (on the Dartmouth side, but not in Dartmouth )

I've been to Great Ocean before too. I love it. But, I haven't been there in awhile since I am broke and can only eat what my Mommy and Daddy buy for me lol As soon as I get a job I would like to go stock up on organic foods from there though.
#35 Old 11-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in New Glasgow where there are *no* veg*n restaurants- saves me a lot of money, but boy do I miss the restaurants you folks are discussing!!

Fortunately the Superstore is quite good for vegan organic groceries.
#36 Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Hey, I've been offline for a bit but I'm back...I'm in Halifax (dtown D'mouth really, but I work in Halifax, sooooo yada yada yada).

I find Halifax is getting more and more vegetarian, vegan and organic options, a lot of them are hidden away though.
#37 Old 02-04-2006, 05:43 PM

Hi all ,

There is a fur protest on Saturday Feb. 11 on Spring Garden Road. Time/meeting area has not been confirmed; I'll post it when I find out. This is an annual protest for the 'Have a Heart' Campaign. So far the groups involved are Animal Rights Collective of Halifax and Nova Scotia Humane Society. The more people the better! All are welcome...hope to see some of you there
#38 Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Great Let us know, I'm off next Saturday.
#39 Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

The fur protest is this Saturday, Feb. 11, from 1:00 until about 3:00, in front of Seymour's Furs and Leathers on Spring Garden Road. If you don't know where that is, Le Chateau is on one side of it and Sock It to You is on the other...it's on the block of Spring Garden between Queen and Birmingham. We'll be on both sides of the street; if you show up after 1 I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding us!! I look forward to seeing some of you there - and forward the info along to anyone you know who might be interested, the more people the better!! Amanda
#40 Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Beginner

tks
#41 Old 02-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda View Post

Hi Everyone,

The fur protest is this Saturday, Feb. 11, from 1:00 until about 3:00, in front of Seymour's Furs and Leathers on Spring Garden Road. If you don't know where that is, Le Chateau is on one side of it and Sock It to You is on the other...it's on the block of Spring Garden between Queen and Birmingham. We'll be on both sides of the street; if you show up after 1 I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding us!! I look forward to seeing some of you there - and forward the info along to anyone you know who might be interested, the more people the better!! Amanda

There's fur store on Spring Garden Road? Since when? Or has it always been there? I don't remember seeing it when I lived there. Now I live out in the South Shore. Anyone else from this area?
#42 Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Beginner

It's been there quite a bit, I actually heard it was closing...I live very close to Rideau Brown in Dartmouth and I wish that would close too, seeing it each day when I walk to the Ferry sickens me.

The place on Spring Garden, back to that, it doesn't have a very wide store front, so it would be easy to miss.
#43 Old 02-08-2006, 06:30 PM

The fur store on Quinpool, Mitchell Furs is closing we usually protest at both, and sometimes we go to Dartmouth too. This year we're not doing Mitchell Furs because they're closing in the next couple of weeks, and we've found that there isn't much foot traffic in front of the Dartmouth store.

I'm not sure how long Seymour's has been on Spring Garden. I know it's a family business that's been around for years, but not sure if it used to be located somewhere else.
#44 Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Beginner

I didn't go . I really, really thought about it, but as much as I detest fur, I still have issues with trying to force my beliefs on others through intimidation (even if it's a totally peaceful protest, I'm sure some people do feel threatened, etc), and basically I'm downright shy. I do all I can by educating my personal circle of friends, family, and coworkers, but that's all I really feel comfortable with. How did it go?
#45 Old 02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at the fur protest! The girl I was with, we were the youngest ones there, stood outside of the The Plaid Store, or whatever it's called. One of the employees came outside and our conversation went something like this:

Lady: "You shouldn't be standing outside of our store."

Us protesters: "Don't you sell fur?"

Lady: "No, fur is icky."

Us protesters: "One gentleman told us you sell seal fur. Is that true?"

Lady: "Yes."

Us protesters: "Then we have the right to be here."

The lady left in a huff.

Does anyone know anything about the 4 million dollars going towards mink farming in Shelburne Country?
#46 Old 02-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post

Does anyone know anything about the 4 million dollars going towards mink farming in Sheburne Country?

I saw the story on the newswire here at work. All I know is it's a provincial agriculture grant. Sickening.
#47 Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Beginner

What, I never heard about that. that is sick.
#48 Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 PM

I can tell you all about the mink farm expansion announcement. I'm in Shelburne, and the MLA for my area has recently announced provincial funding for this venture which would include 15 new mink farms, 1 state of the art training facility and approx. 150 jobs. It was recently announced in our local newspaper The Coast Guard as well as the Yarmouth paper. I've been collecting newspaper articles, but interestingly there has been no media release from the Provincial Govt. yet, despite the MLA's remarks. When I read the articles I was appalled, descriptions for the venture were so positive, they included references to Nova Scotia being the Mink pelt production capital of Canada and how we can train so many young people to start their own farms and expand. When I told my 8 year old daughter what a mink farm was, she flew into action. She wrote a letter to the local paper and I also wrote one to support her. They should be in Tuesday's Coast Guard. She also has a meeting scheduled with our local MLA Cecil O'Donnell on Friday, March 10th. The Editor of the paper has agreed to let me prepare some kind of press release/information supplement "against" mink fur farming, and not being an expert in the field, I have been scrambling to collect as much information as possible. I'm going to start a letter writing campaign next week, but so far, my daughter and I are a two person show!! We have no support here yet to try to stop this thing and I have never protested against this type of activity before, although I'm vegan and have very strong opinions on the matter. I am pretty much alone at this point, even though I'm a local resident with strong family ties to the area, I have family members who once operated mink farms and many people I know are really excited about the prospect of more jobs. I guess I thought it was time to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. If any one out there would like to help me organize this campaign or can provide me with some of their own expertise in this area, I would really appreciate it....and I'm sure the minks would too!!

Lianne Perry 902-874-0219 (after 6pm and weekends)

[email protected]

Hope to hear from some of you with ideas and/or support. We're going to need it. P.S. My daughter has created a slogan to help us along: THINK MINK - KEEP THE FUR ON THE ANIMAL.
#49 Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM

I can tell you all about the mink farm expansion announcement. I'm in Shelburne, and the MLA for my area has recently announced provincial funding for this venture which would include 15 new mink farms, 1 state of the art training facility and approx. 150 jobs. It was recently announced in our local newspaper The Coast Guard as well as the Yarmouth paper. I've been collecting newspaper articles, but interestingly there has been no media release from the Provincial Govt. yet, despite the MLA's remarks. When I read the articles I was appalled, descriptions for the venture were so positive, they included references to Nova Scotia being the Mink pelt production capital of Canada and how we can train so many young people to start their own farms and expand. When I told my 8 year old daughter what a mink farm was, she flew into action. She wrote a letter to the local paper and I also wrote one to support her. They should be in Tuesday's Coast Guard. She also has a meeting scheduled with our local MLA Cecil O'Donnell on Friday, March 10th. The Editor of the paper has agreed to let me prepare some kind of press release/information supplement "against" mink fur farming, and not being an expert in the field, I have been scrambling to collect as much information as possible. I'm going to start a letter writing campaign next week, but so far, my daughter and I are a two person show!! We have no support here yet to try to stop this thing and I have never protested against this type of activity before, although I'm vegan and have very strong opinions on the matter. I am pretty much alone at this point, even though I'm a local resident with strong family ties to the area, I have family members who once operated mink farms and many people I know are really excited about the prospect of more jobs. I guess I thought it was time to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. If any one out there would like to help me organize this campaign or can provide me with some of their own expertise in this area, I would really appreciate it....and I'm sure the minks would too!!

Lianne Perry 902-874-0219 (after 6pm and weekends)

[email protected]

Hope to hear from some of you with ideas and/or support. We're going to need it. P.S. My daughter has created a slogan to help us along: THINK MINK - KEEP THE FUR ON THE ANIMAL.
#50 Old 03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Way to go Lianne!! One thing you have to pay attention to is alternate forms of employment for the mink farmers. Whenever fur ranching is questioned by people like us, pro-fur people say " but what about the ranchers? It's their livelihood!! What will they do without fur to provide an income?"

I have no idea how to answer that one.
#51 Old 03-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Our Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animal group are writing letters and are thinking of starting a petition. We're having an anit-fur protest at school tomorrow. Barry Crozier, the head of our group, is very heavily into this sort of thing. He's a member of the Humane Society and was in charge of the seal hunt protest in Bedford last year. We didn't know very much about the mink farming... if it's okay, I'm going to pass your contact information on to him.

I was just typing up my letter now... I'm glad I came on here and checked this out.
#52 Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

OH V.V why did i ever move away, there are times it seems this seafood and potatoe town has no AR spirt at all.. thats so awsome that your school is doing all that. My school is telling me i have to drop down to level 2 biology if i don't want to disect any animals -_-.
#53 Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 PM

Hi to everyone in NS!

This week is march break and two of the museums in Halifax have brought in live animals. The Museum of Natural History has insects which they are cooking, e.g. maggots, etc. and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic's theme is Pets at Sea, so they have animals that were traditionally pets on ships. The animal rights group I am part of were asked BY THE MUSEUM to table there with literature, like we've been doing for approximately six years, so we set up a schedule for our members, and one of us has been there almost all week. The Museum of Natural History has gone quite well because people are grossed out by the cooked insects so when they see our table with info promoting veg*ism it seems like a great idea However, things haven't gone so well at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. At first, they were limiting which pamphlets we could put out (e.g. no pamphlets re: the seal hunt because it's bloody and disturbing), and a few days ago, they told us we had to remove two of our display boards because there were pictures of caged animals on them and they were "traumatizing the children". Hmmmmm. Isn't that exactly what they have all through the museum? there are Squirrel Monkeys, Lemurs, a single Crow (!), a leopard (who's endangered), a hedgehog, two goats, two pigs, a rainbow McCaw, two other McCaws, tons of mice (who are probably being fed to the snakes who are directly across from them), rats, an iguana, and a tarantula. I think there's a couple others that I can't remember right now too.

Anyway, I'm asking people to write a letter to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and other relevant people (I'll get names and addresses and post them for you) to let them know it is not acceptable to promote animals in captivity. If you want more info just pm me, I have pics of these poor little guys too. Thanks to anyone who's willing to help out! manda
#54 Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM

Here are the addresses of the museums. If you can write a quick letter expressing your objections to having live animals on display, that would be wonderful. Have a great day everybody!

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic

1675 Lower Water Street

Halifax NS, Canada

B3J 1S3

(902) 424-7490

Museum of Natural History

1747 Summer Street,

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Canada B3H 3A6

(902)424-7353
#55 Old 03-24-2006, 10:38 PM

Another in Pictou County
#56 Old 03-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Baemonns!! I thought I was the only veg*n in Pictou County- guess not!!

There certainly aren;t many here....
#57 Old 04-02-2006, 03:12 PM

Hey all, I live in Toronto, but I have family in Nova Scotia that I visit every year. I was wondering if anyone could recommend vegan restaurants in or near any of the following places:

Annapolis Royal

Digby

Kentville

New Minas

Wolfville

Also, any vegetarian associations or ar groups that I might connect with while I'm there. Thank you sooooo much.
#58 Old 04-02-2006, 07:16 PM

I can only think of one veg*n friendly restaurant around here:

Taj Mahal (Indian cuisine), on Main Street in Wolfville
#59 Old 04-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Beginner

There are a few Chinese resturants in New Minas so you may have some luck there. I also heard there is a Sushi place there now too and Japanese resturants often have some tofu dishes and veggie rolls.
#60 Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Oh, if you make it out Chester way, Duke Street Eatery has a Boca burger and Carta resturant has some veggie dishes (one of the owners is vegetarian).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page