YEAH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Just moved to Wetaskiwin, from Ontario.

I'll only be here until the middle of August though.

LOVE your avatar...it's one I was using a few avatars ago

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#93 Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Whatcha doing in the Alberta thread Ahimsa?

Planning to come visit?

you really really should!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm originally from NB, lived a few years in PEI, and now I'm off to Calgary for 6 weeks to do a dietetic internship placement September 25 to November 3. I know absolutely nobody in Calgary, and I think I may go to one or more of the vegetarian society meetups, just to meet some people while I am there. Any other suggestions?
#95 Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a lots of suggestions for places to eat and shop etc.

Which part of the city are you going to be in?

And can you tell us more about your internship? It sounds really interesting!

#96 Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have a lots of suggestions for places to eat and shop etc.

Which part of the city are you going to be in?

And can you tell us more about your internship? It sounds really interesting!

From my understanding I'm going to be in the NW part of the city - the place I am working at is on 16th Ave NW. I still haven't secured a place to stay - I have one good potential though (unless you know someone who really wants to rent a room out to me for 6 weeks )

As for the internship I am doing.. it is part of the "Integrated Dietetic Internship" program at the university I went to. That's just a facy term for "work experience for student dietitian". We do several placements in different areas - currently I am doing a community placement, my last one was clinical, and the one in Calgary is foodservice/admin. Basically I work with the dietitians, work on projects, do their job (under their supervision of course) so I will actually know what I am doing once I get a job. It's a lot of fun but unfortunately we don't get paid!
#97 Old 08-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds great fyvel.

Places that you could check out:

Groceries:

Community Natural Foods and the Sunflower cafe inside

The Co-op on 12th ave SW (great natural foods section)

Sunnyside Market (HFS) in Kensington

Restaurants:

The Coup (veggie restaurant)

Aida's- very veggie friendly meditteranean restaurant

That's all I can think of for now.

#98 Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That sounds great fyvel.

Places that you could check out:

Groceries:

Community Natural Foods and the Sunflower cafe inside

The Co-op on 12th ave SW (great natural foods section)

Sunnyside Market (HFS) in Kensington

Restaurants:

The Coup (veggie restaurant)

Aida's- very veggie friendly meditteranean restaurant

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for the tips!
#99 Old 08-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Fyvel!

Good to hear that you might have a place lined up, because the rental market in Calgary is extremely tight. I have heard from more than one person that they are having problems finding a decent place to live. We do have a river though, making the option of living in a van down by the river a possibility. Failing that, I do have a spare bedroom available in my apartment right now, but it's probably not ideal since it isn't furnished (and won't be furnished anytime soon as I'm having enough trouble furnishing the rest of the apartment). I'm not really looking for a roommate right now, but a short term vegetarian I could handle. Anyways, PM me if you want some details.

Synergy has put you on a pretty good path as far as places to check out. All I can add is that if you like the outdoors, you should check out the Calgary outdoor club. It's a great way to get out to the mountains for hiking.
#100 Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the offer, Jeff However, even if I would have taken it (which I wouldn't have, because I wouldn't impose myself like that), it looks like my placement in Calgary is going to be converted to one closer to home due to circumstances beyond my control. It's too bad too, because I was really looking forward to it
#101 Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww...

Come visit us anyway

#102 Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm moving from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Drayton Valley in 12 days, so I'll be pretty close to Edmonton. I would love to meet with any veg*ns and attend events! If you go to the events I'll probably see you all eventually.
#103 Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Awww...

Come visit us anyway

Maybe someday It's just not in the cards right now
#104 Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 PM

I'm in Edmonton too
#105 Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 AM

Try Saigon Givral on Jasper Avenue at 110 Street NW in the Hardwood Plaza building. They make awesome veggie chicken and veggie beef subs. Shredded carrot, cilantro, and hot chili sauce (the delectable Rooster Brand) plus some soy meat - hot and to go, $5.75 on brown bread. Delicious.
#106 Old 11-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Calgarian living in Kingston, Ontario for school. It's amazing how different the two cities are! In Kingston it seems like I can't throw a stone without hitting a vegan, but I've never met a single vegan in Calgary and not many vegetarians. All my Calgarian friends either "support me but disagree with me" or just outright make fun of me. Good to know there actually are Calgarian vegans, even if they're few and far between!

ETA I haven't read through all the other posts so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but have any Calgarians tried Buddha's Veggie on Macleod Trail? 100% vegan Chinese food restaurant. I miss their dry ribs so much...*drool*
#107 Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi beatricious. Welcome to the boards!

I've been to Buddha's veggie restaurant, but I've never tried their dry ribs. I will next time I go, although I do much prefer our new veggie restaurant called 'the coup' http://www.thecoup.ca/

It's the most wonderful restaurant right on 17th ave, and they serve mostly local, organic foods. They play fantastic music, and it's always packed.

The budda bowl with green curry or tahini miso on quinoa is heaven!

#108 Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, I've heard the Coup is amazing, but I've never been. I also love Open Sesame, have you tried there? It's not vegetarian but you can make your own stirfry, and they have so. Many. Vegetables. Dammit. I really wish I wasn't in Kingston right now.
#109 Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 AM

Buddha's Veggie has changed their hours - check the website. I was there last weekend, the food is still great (Ginger Beef, Crispy Lemon Chicken, Thai Greens) and the place is still busy, go early.

Banff has a great veggie restaurant, Nourish, at 215 Banff Ave, Banff, Alberta (Sundance Mall 2nd floor). Well worth the stair climb. Service is top notch, slowed only by the small kitchen but the freshly prepared meals are well worth the wait, try French Onion soup was great. Vegan Meals abound.
#110 Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Just to announce - I went to the Coup in Calgary for the first time tonight (which is shameful - it's been open for like two years and I'd never tried it). It. Was. Amazing. I almost felt faint. Make sure to try the tahini-miso gravy, and the dark chocolate fondue (vegan!) is amazing, too.
#111 Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Synergy, can you tell beatricious if there's anywhere locally she can buy Merry Hempsters vegan lip balm, or the Alba vegan lip balms?
#112 Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Hey Synergy, can you tell beatricious if there's anywhere locally she can buy Merry Hempsters vegan lip balm, or the Alba vegan lip balms?

'Course!

I've bought Merry Hempsters at the Community Natural Foods downtown. I've never actually seen the Alba ones there, but I haven't looked very hard either.

Beatricious, glad you liked the Coup!!! Did you have the Tahini-Miso gravy with the Yam Wedges, in the Dragon Bowl or on a Messy Jane? (All three ways are delicious, BTW!)

I also love Open Sesame. It's one of my favorite restaurants, and it's so cheap!!!! The decor is amazing, and so is the food. I like to bring my staff there for meetings.

#113 Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey synergy! I actually live in Kingston most of the year for school, so unfortunately I'm far away from Community Natural. I bought some lip balm by a company called New Inc at the one in Chinook, and then basically lost it right away. Argh! I did buy some Crazy Rumors lip balm online, hopefully that'll fuel my lip balm addiction!

I had the gravy with yam wedges, and also piled it on top of my portobello mushroom burger. Yummm. I got back to Kingston yesterday and I already miss the Calgary restaurants!
#114 Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

beatricious, I'm in ottawa. do you ever come this way?
#115 Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Beatricious, you'd better look me up next time you're back home!!!

I went to the Coup yesterday for lunch with a girlfriend after a yoga class, but they were closing in 5 mins, so we opted for take away. I had their 'Messy Jane'

It's a tofu scramble with roasted veggies on Foccacia Bread covered with Tahini-miso gravy and a side salad.

The portabello burger is the only thing I haven't had on their menu, but I plan on correcting that soon!!!

#116 Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

beatricious, I'm in ottawa. do you ever come this way?

Actually my mom was born there and my grandpa still lives there, so we usually go to visit in the summer. We stay in Gatineau mostly, but come into the city often to grocery shop etc. I never really go to Ottawa while I'm at school, though. I should probably visit my grandpa once in a while, but...I'm lazy and poor.
#117 Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 AM

Bua Thai (Jasper 114st) and Boun Thai (Jasper 108st) both in Edmonton have some decent Thai food, each provides a special vegetarian section on the menu.

I tried the red curry at Boun Thai (No shrimp, I checked) it was pretty tasty, just hot enough, but way too much tofu for my liking, I will try next time to get all vegetables.
#118 Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmm... Thai.... I miss having a good Thai restaurant. There was one right beside my apartment that closed and I haven't found a replacement.

Anyone know of any good vegetarian Thai places in Calgary? (and by anyone, I more or less mean you synergy )
#119 Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, as a matter of fact I do

Chili Club Thai house is fantastic. It's close to you, on 11th ave and 5th st SW, in the same strip mall as singapore sam's, mac's and Canadian Pizza Unlimited.

It has really good veggie thai dishes, including an evil spicy jungle noodle dish

There's also The King and I, which is bigger and a little more expensive, but very good- fantastic curries. It's actually further down on 11th ave, just east of 8th street, across from Safeway,and right next to Brewsters.

#120 Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2007/02/1410.cfm

^^^ complete article ^^^

Wherever there's a charity bell ringing, chances are that Edmonton's Fractal Pattern will be the first to play a benefit show in support of its cause

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page