Alberta - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 02-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! I'll let you know if I find them anywhere.

My husband is a computer contracter, so we moved around a lot. We lived in a lot of places (Ft. Lauderdale, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Dayton, Austin) but the place we lived in the most (and which feels like a second home now) is Seattle.

That's where I went vegetarian, and it was so easy; Seattle is tremendously veggie-friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 02-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Wow, you ceratinly got around.

I just remembered that the sausages at Big Fresh are the Tofurky brand, I think they have two or three varieties.
#63 Old 02-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Found Big Fresh. What an awesome store!

I bought the Tofurky 'Kielbassa' sausages. I don't know what kind of kielbassa the Tofurky people eat, but the stuff I always had tastes nothing like these vegan sausages. They're tasty, they just don't taste like kielbassa. Not even a little bit.

Still, very yummy. I had some tonight with my Chinese takeout (schezuan mixed vegetables). Continuing the hunt for Boca...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Medesha I haven't seen boca sausages anywhere! Just the tofurky and yves brand sausages. They are everywhere and easy enough to find. Boca burgers I used to be able to find @ save-on. Now some of them have them and some of them don't. Their burgers were great!! I'm glad you found big fresh at least. What side of the city do you live on? Have you ever been to Organic Roots? They have a cafe that has some pretty awesome yummy, veg friendly things. It's just off 82nd ave and 112st.
#65 Old 02-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Oliver Square; I plan on checking out Roots soon.

Thanks for the help! On a related note, what do you guys know about recycling facilities in Edmonton? It's been so long since I've been home, and our building doesn't have recyclables containers.
#66 Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh it's so annoying how most apartment buildings don't have recycle bins! When you live in a house you just throw all your recyclables into blue bags and put it out with your trash and it gets picked up on garbage day. So recycling is super easy for me. I know there is a recycling center right in the parking lot of my local safeway. Maybe in the front of the white pages there is more info on recycling depots around the city?

Since you are so close to China Town have you ever been to Padmanadi?? It's a great almost totally vegan (one of their mock chicken has whey in it, they will let you know if you order a dish when they use that kind of chicken though, at least they have for me!) indonesian/chinese food restaurant. They often have buffets around special occassions. Their most recent one was for Chinese New Years and it was super tasty! Their address is 10626 97 Street. I'll post in here when they have the next buffet.
#67 Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds awesome, thanks!

You guys are so helpful.
#68 Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Safeway (at least my Safeway at Oliver Square in Edmonton) has Oh Naturel products on sale till this Saturday! (Reg. price 7.79, now 6.19).
#69 Old 02-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Went to Planet Organics near Whyte Ave yesterday. ZOMG that is an awesome store. No Boca, but I did get vegan cheese and sour cream. *love*
#70 Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM

You should also try Roots Organic Market (?) it's on the corner of 112 st and Whyte ave, in College Plaza.

For more veg*an dining, you can try the Oriental Veggie House, 10586 100 St. They make wicked awesome food too. Give the crispy 'chicken' a shot.

Near 118 street and Jasper ave (west of Champion foods, across 118 street) is a great Lebanese place called 'Lashish'. I have been going there late at night (3 am) for falaffel and the veggie plate.
#71 Old 02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Went to the Oriental Veggie House today. AWESOME! The crispy chicken was a great recommendation, thanks!
#72 Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Just moved into town to try and find a job with my new degree... Nice to see there are quite a few veggie places to check out!

anywho... hi fellow oil tycoons

Go Oilers!
#73 Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to Edmonton mrvegetarian! I'm sure you'll find that Edmonton is a great place!
#74 Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! Do try out that Oriental Veggie House. Num.
#75 Old 03-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello mrvegetarian!! Nice to see someone else from our lovely city.

One of these days we'll all have to get organized and go out for dinner!
#76 Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

That sounds like a spectacular idea. I have a regular poker night Fridays, but I'm free any other night. (Also, does anyone like poker?)
#77 Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Or we could all hit up a Vegetarians of Alberta potluck one of these days!! Or a Padmanadi buffet day. I suck @ poker.
#78 Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM

My brother and myself checked out the oriental veggie house yesterday...

We were both very impressed... I also had the crispy chicken on the recommendation of the board... It was delicious... My brother had the roasted duck and chicken and it was also very good..

The only thing that wasn't good was my skills with the chop sticks..

I'm pretty stoked cause it's like half a block from where I live...

I was also surprised that we were the only ones in there at 7pm on a saturday night

go check 'er out!!!
#79 Old 04-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

It was pretty empty the times I was there too. A shame.
#80 Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 AM

Yeah, we definitely need to support OVH more.

mrveg, you sure picked a nice neighbourhood to live in.
#81 Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Not sure if that's a sarcastic remark or not

I haven't run across a day without some form of excitement...
#82 Old 04-12-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvegetarian View Post

Not sure if that's a sarcastic remark or not

Yeah, kind of.

It's no reflection on you though. I have had the pleasure of walking through your neighbourhood late at night.

ANYWAYS...

A veg friend of mine told me about a place on Jasper and 110 street, in Hardwood Plaza, that serves soy chicken and soy beef subs which look pretty vegan (minus the cheese).

It's called SAIGON GIVRAL.

I plan to give'r sometime this week, but if anyone beats me there, post it up.
#83 Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

So, it looks like most of you guys are up in Edmonton.

Do you ever come down to Calgary?

Or, for any of you in Calgary, have you checked out the Calgary Vegetarian Society? http://www.calgaryveg.com/

I've only been to one of their events, a talk by Brenda Davis (nutritionist and co- author of Becoming Vegetarian and Becoming Vegan) .

I want to head out to more of them. Any one interested in comming out too?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#84 Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, another Calgary veg-head here... I didn't even know we had a vegetarian society. What are they like?

I haven't lived in many other places, but overall I don't think that Calgary is a very vegetarian friendly city. I find lots of places don't have any real options at all, or maybe a token veggie burger. Maybe I expect too much.

And I'm dying to find a decent veggie pizza place (you know, a place that has something other than the standard green pepper and mushroom bland-fest). If anyone knows of one let me know! I used to live in Regina and there is an amazing pizza place there called the "Copper Kettle" which has something like 20 full vegetarian pizzas. They had this cool pizza with beans on it and they would even hold the cheese if there were vegans in the crowd... ah I miss it.
#85 Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Here in Edmonton we have a great pizza place that makes veggie pizzas called the Funky Pickle Pizza Co. Maybe they have a branch in Calgary?
#86 Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but I looked up the funky pickle (cool name btw) and they are only in Edmonton.

All I want is brocolli on my pizza... is that so much to ask?
#87 Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Just moved to Wetaskiwin, from Ontario.

I'll only be here until the middle of August though.
#88 Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Just moved to Wetaskiwin, from Ontario.

I'll only be here until the middle of August though.

Welcome to Alberta!
#89 Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

Hey, another Calgary veg-head here... I didn't even know we had a vegetarian society. What are they like?

I haven't lived in many other places, but overall I don't think that Calgary is a very vegetarian friendly city. I find lots of places don't have any real options at all, or maybe a token veggie burger. Maybe I expect too much.

And I'm dying to find a decent veggie pizza place (you know, a place that has something other than the standard green pepper and mushroom bland-fest). If anyone knows of one let me know! I used to live in Regina and there is an amazing pizza place there called the "Copper Kettle" which has something like 20 full vegetarian pizzas. They had this cool pizza with beans on it and they would even hold the cheese if there were vegans in the crowd... ah I miss it.

There is a place called perfect pizza here that has some great veg toppings- like artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, spinach, etc. They do a great californian style thin crust w/o cheese.

BTW-I'm from Regina too! (There are a lot of Regina ex-pats in Calgary lol) I've totally eaten Copper Kettle pizza. I moved here about 5 years ago before I went veg, so I didn't realise they had so many veg pizzas! I'm gonna have to check them out when I go visit this summer!

Oh- and about the Calgary Vegetarian Society. I've only checked out one of their events- it was cool- a lecture by Brenda Davis, one of the authors of 'Becoming Vegetarian' and "Becoming Vegan'.

I've been meaning to check out their other stuff, but I always seem to be working during their potlucks and stuff!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#90 Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Here in Edmonton we have a great pizza place that makes veggie pizzas called the Funky Pickle Pizza Co. Maybe they have a branch in Calgary?

Go Oilers !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page