Happy happy Alberta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Happy happy Alberta

kinda random... but I second the motion!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#33 Old 09-20-2004, 08:40 PM

I'm a random kind of gal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-07-2004, 03:14 AM

FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Buddha Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.
#35 Old 11-07-2004, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yo, send me a msg. I'm mad vegetetarian yo.
#36 Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

A new veggie restaurant opened in calgary in november called 'The Coup'. It's on 17th ave.

Anyone tried it?

#37 Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Bhudda Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.

I've found that almost all places in Edmonton are extremely accomodating and often have very good offerings. Vegan is a bit harder, but vegetarian? No excuse here at all.

In Edmonton, you can purchase many vegan and vegetarian things at the standard grocery stores - Safeway, Save on Foods, Sobey's. For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st. Beyond that, I buy Braggs, Bob's Red Mill items, vegetarian appetizer platters, and more at Sobey's.
#38 Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st.

they also sell nutritional yeast at Roots Organic market, on the corner of 112 st and whyte.

i agree edmonton is a very veggie friendly city. went to oriental veggie house not too long ago and was pretty disappointed with the food though, so i'd have to agree with the original poster that buddha's veggie in calgary is the best in the province. although there's also a veggie house in china town in calgary that is pretty good. padmandhi in edmonton is also great.
#39 Old 12-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Padmandhi is one of the better restaurants I've gone to. Their sweet and sour "chicken" is great. I don't know what's in it and I don't care; all I know is that it's good
#40 Old 12-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I am from Montreal. Just have some curious questions here. Surprised to hear about Vegetarians/Vegans in a province where Cattle Industry is very strong. Are there a lot of Vegans/Vegetarians in Alberta and sorrounding Provinces ? Why do people in these Provinces giveup meat ? Do they get enough support for going meatless ?

Thanks.

Vijay
#41 Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Hi All

I agree that Edmonton is a pretty veggie friendly city. I still feel like this sometimes living in cattle country. I would love an I love Alberta sticker or tee shirt. Some other good restaurants in Edmonton are: Cafe Mosaics, Highlevel Diner, the New Asian Village.
#42 Old 01-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

I am from Montreal. Just have some curious questions here. Surprised to hear about Vegetarians/Vegans in a province where Cattle Industry is very strong. Are there a lot of Vegans/Vegetarians in Alberta and sorrounding Provinces ? Why do people in these Provinces giveup meat ? Do they get enough support for going meatless ?

Thanks.

Vijay

I think it's the same as any other place. Also, Alberta has a large influx of population from other provinces, too.
#43 Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

A new veggie restaurant opened in calgary in november called 'The Coup'. It's on 17th ave.

Anyone tried it?

I'm telling this to anyone who is interested. Save your money - this place is a ripoff! I've never had a worse dining experience. I went there almost two weeks ago, and both the door and the large, folding glass front windows were open, inappropriate for a February afternoon, letting in cold air AND exhaust fumes from busy 17th Ave. The smell of exhaust was prominent, and it's very unpleasant to breath such toxic air when you're trying to eat.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the prices would make one faint for what you get. For $8.50, I got a rather small bowl of peanut satay salad, with a paltry amount of satay dressing drizzled over a handful of greens, maybe four small pieces of tofu, and fewer pieces of broccoli. Once I had eaten this layer, I found a pile of unseasoned white noodles at the bottom of the bowl, with a few scattered peanuts. This should have had more dressing over it, but it didn't, and I have never tasted anything so bland. I couldn't shake enough salt on it. My two lunch companions had ordered similar salads, and we had to season these unappetizing noodles so often, there were times when we all reached for that overworked salt shaker at the same time, our eyes darting back and forth between us because no one could believe what we were going through to make our meal edible. I have since been told that this salad should have been stirred up, so that dressing coated everything--noodles included-- but there was nowhere near enough dressing for this.

The feeling among us of being ripped-off was unanimous. My diet is mostly vegetarian, so this is in no way a slam against such restaurants, but I've found from experience that one is more likely to get burned at a vegetarian restaurant. Is it because we are so desperate for the no-red-meat experience in Cowtown that we'll accept anything? I hope not!

When I complained to the restaurant owners a few days later--once my anger had lessened--the response I got was pretty much "I guess we can't please everyone."

I've had unpleasant restaurant meals before, but I have never felt so compelled to comment on the experience. This place doesn't deserve to stay in business if it doesn't start offering better food and better value! Needless to say, we won't be returning!
#44 Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome CatWoman! I used to live in Canmore, moved there from Regina and now live in Hamilton, I can agree, open windows on 17th in February. bad idea.;
#45 Old 03-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman View Post

I'm telling this to anyone who is interested. Save your money - this place is a ripoff! I've never had a worse dining experience. I went there almost two weeks ago, and both the door and the large, folding glass front windows were open, inappropriate for a February afternoon, letting in cold air AND exhaust fumes from busy 17th Ave. The smell of exhaust was prominent, and it's very unpleasant to breath such toxic air when you're trying to eat.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the prices would make one faint for what you get. For $8.50, I got a rather small bowl of peanut satay salad, with a paltry amount of satay dressing drizzled over a handful of greens, maybe four small pieces of tofu, and fewer pieces of broccoli. Once I had eaten this layer, I found a pile of unseasoned white noodles at the bottom of the bowl, with a few scattered peanuts. This should have had more dressing over it, but it didn't, and I have never tasted anything so bland. I couldn't shake enough salt on it. My two lunch companions had ordered similar salads, and we had to season these unappetizing noodles so often, there were times when we all reached for that overworked salt shaker at the same time, our eyes darting back and forth between us because no one could believe what we were going through to make our meal edible. I have since been told that this salad should have been stirred up, so that dressing coated everything--noodles included-- but there was nowhere near enough dressing for this.

The feeling among us of being ripped-off was unanimous. My diet is mostly vegetarian, so this is in no way a slam against such restaurants, but I've found from experience that one is more likely to get burned at a vegetarian restaurant. Is it because we are so desperate for the no-red-meat experience in Cowtown that we'll accept anything? I hope not!

When I complained to the restaurant owners a few days later--once my anger had lessened--the response I got was pretty much "I guess we can't please everyone."

I've had unpleasant restaurant meals before, but I have never felt so compelled to comment on the experience. This place doesn't deserve to stay in business if it doesn't start offering better food and better value! Needless to say, we won't be returning!

Wow, that sucks that you had such a bad experience. I've eaten there a few times so far and always been really satisfied.

I haven't tied the salads, but I have had 'el taco' and a qinoah dish that were unbelievably good, and the meals my friends have had were all fantastic too. While the portions are not as big as you may find in other restaurants, I found them to be the exact right amount of food ( and I don't have a little appetite).

I would really recommend trying it again.

With the window thing, was this during a chinook, or one of the colder days?

#46 Old 03-10-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I would really recommend trying it again.

With the window thing, was this during a chinook, or one of the colder days?

I think it was 10 or 12 C that day, warm enough for the door being open, but not the big windows as well. But even if it had been warmer, there was too much pollution coming in.

No, I won't be going there again. I'm not going to gamble at being ripped off a second time. Restaurants only get one chance to make a good impression with me, and I didn't like the owner's attitude when I complained.
#47 Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Heading to Jasper this coming weekend
#48 Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post

Hi All

I agree that Edmonton is a pretty veggie friendly city. I still feel like this sometimes living in cattle country. I would love an I love Alberta sticker or tee shirt. Some other good restaurants in Edmonton are: Cafe Mosaics, Highlevel Diner, the New Asian Village.

Hi Veggies! I have a very big problem digesting red meat and I am allergic to chicken so I mostly eat fish and tofu. (Quinoa ROCKS!!!) I agree that Buddha's is amazing! They're Ginger "beef" is better than any restaurant out there. Even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. I am actually in the screenprinting/promotional goods industry and would be happy to put together a t-shirt/temporary tattoo/bumper sticker order for anyone. Email me at [email protected]uckley.com if you're interested.

~I (heart) Alberta Kittens, Do you see me eating them??~
#49 Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Hi Veggies! I have a very big problem digesting red meat and I am allergic to chicken so I mostly eat fish and tofu. (Quinoa ROCKS!!!) I agree that Buddha's is amazing! They're Ginger "beef" is better than any restaurant out there. Even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. I am actually in the screenprinting/promotional goods industry and would be happy to put together a t-shirt/temporary tattoo/bumper sticker order for anyone. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

~I (heart) Alberta Kittens, Do you see me eating them??~
#50 Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post

Hi All

Hi Everyone,

I am usually a lurker but I had to join in on this thread... I love the humour!

Little bit about myself. I am what I call a "Forced Vegetarian". When I was young my Mother was a vegetarian. Then as an adult I became quite unable to digest red meat. Last year I went "Cold Chicken" when I was told all my allergies were caused my eating Chicken of all things. Thankfully I enjoy Tofu.

I have found that Buddha's is the best place in Calgary for veggie food. They're Ginger "Beef" is so good ~ even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. They also give you good tips on home cooked vegan food. I have a great Quinoa Pilaf recipe that they inspired.

***Dragonflie*** I am an Account Executive for Wheat Buckley (promotional goods company). If you are interested in a bumper sticker, T-shirt or anything else (temp tattoo even) drop me an email and we'll put something together. I personally like:

"I (heart) Alberta Kittens, do you see me eating them???"

Thanks to everyone else for putting a smile on my face - love the random thoughts Krista!
#51 Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Anyone In The Edmonton Area Interested In Doing A Boycott Kfc Protest On Sat Oct 1/05?
#52 Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM

THERE IS GOING TO BE A KFC "13010 97st" PROTEST IN EDMONTON ON OCT1/05 AT 1 PM AT IF YOU ARE INTERTED OR WANT MORE INFO EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE
#53 Old 01-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! I don't suppose anyone here who lives in Edmonton plays Dungeons & Dragons? If you do and are interested in joining a new game, post here or send me a PM or email.
#54 Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know where I can buy Boca products in Edmonton? Also, did those "I heart Alberta carrots" stickers ever get designed?

#55 Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Medesha, you might want to try the evil wal-mart.

I live in Calgary, and that's the only place I have ever seen boca products.

#56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
#57 Old 02-01-2006, 02:39 AM

Screw Wal-Mart.

Try Liquidation World, they sometimes get in BOCA. Some Save-On-Foods carry Boca as well, but they hide it in the real meat section.

You might want to try the Veggie Patch products or even the Schnieder's Oh Naturel! line, far superior to Boca, also Canadian.

Superstore is a dead end for Vegans, but they do make some Blue Menu Vegetarian products as well as President's choice veggie patties and veggie burgers. Also in the meat cooler.

More Info? PM me, I'll hook you up.
#58 Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Oh Natural very much (and Save-on-Foods as well...dedicated former employee). But I just came back to Canada after several years of living in the States, and I'm positively addicted to the Boca Smoked Sausages and the Boca Italian Sausages. I can't find a substitute here so far -- Yves doesn't cut it, and Oh Natural doesn't make sausage substitutes (that I've found).

Maybe I can get one of the chains to order me some Boca...
#59 Old 02-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Have you tried Roots Organic Market at Whyte and 112 st? They carry some veg stuff. The Big Fresh on Jasper avenue has several brands of veg*an sausage, I can't remember the brand, not Boca, but they look tasty anyhow.

Let us know if you see these sausages anywhere, I would like to try them fo' sho'.
#60 Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM

Oh yeah, and welcome back to the Great White North.

Where did you live in the States?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page