VeggieBoards banner

Alberta

69K views 417 replies 71 participants last post by  odizzido 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#29 ·
I've started a new forum for Calgary and area Veggies.

http://www.lacykitten.com/vego/board/

If you're interested, there's also NewCalgVeg, the new vegetarian group of Calgary.. which has it's own section of the board. You can join that group by sending an email to newcalgveg@shaw.ca

There are various groups and events in Calgary, I'm hoping to get them all on board with this so it ends up a big community board!

Thanks!

#34 ·
FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Buddha Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.

#37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Bhudda Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.
I've found that almost all places in Edmonton are extremely accomodating and often have very good offerings. Vegan is a bit harder, but vegetarian? No excuse here at all.

In Edmonton, you can purchase many vegan and vegetarian things at the standard grocery stores - Safeway, Save on Foods, Sobey's. For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st. Beyond that, I buy Braggs, Bob's Red Mill items, vegetarian appetizer platters, and more at Sobey's.

#38 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st.
they also sell nutritional yeast at Roots Organic market, on the corner of 112 st and whyte.

i agree edmonton is a very veggie friendly city. went to oriental veggie house not too long ago and was pretty disappointed with the food though, so i'd have to agree with the original poster that buddha's veggie in calgary is the best in the province. although there's also a veggie house in china town in calgary that is pretty good. padmandhi in edmonton is also great.

#40 ·
I am from Montreal. Just have some curious questions here. Surprised to hear about Vegetarians/Vegans in a province where Cattle Industry is very strong. Are there a lot of Vegans/Vegetarians in Alberta and sorrounding Provinces ? Why do people in these Provinces giveup meat ? Do they get enough support for going meatless ?

Thanks.

Vijay

#42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

I am from Montreal. Just have some curious questions here. Surprised to hear about Vegetarians/Vegans in a province where Cattle Industry is very strong. Are there a lot of Vegans/Vegetarians in Alberta and sorrounding Provinces ? Why do people in these Provinces giveup meat ? Do they get enough support for going meatless ?

Thanks.

Vijay
I think it's the same as any other place. Also, Alberta has a large influx of population from other provinces, too.

#43 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

A new veggie restaurant opened in calgary in november called 'The Coup'. It's on 17th ave.

Anyone tried it?

I'm telling this to anyone who is interested. Save your money - this place is a ripoff! I've never had a worse dining experience. I went there almost two weeks ago, and both the door and the large, folding glass front windows were open, inappropriate for a February afternoon, letting in cold air AND exhaust fumes from busy 17th Ave. The smell of exhaust was prominent, and it's very unpleasant to breath such toxic air when you're trying to eat.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the prices would make one faint for what you get. For $8.50, I got a rather small bowl of peanut satay salad, with a paltry amount of satay dressing drizzled over a handful of greens, maybe four small pieces of tofu, and fewer pieces of broccoli. Once I had eaten this layer, I found a pile of unseasoned white noodles at the bottom of the bowl, with a few scattered peanuts. This should have had more dressing over it, but it didn't, and I have never tasted anything so bland. I couldn't shake enough salt on it. My two lunch companions had ordered similar salads, and we had to season these unappetizing noodles so often, there were times when we all reached for that overworked salt shaker at the same time, our eyes darting back and forth between us because no one could believe what we were going through to make our meal edible. I have since been told that this salad should have been stirred up, so that dressing coated everything--noodles included-- but there was nowhere near enough dressing for this.

The feeling among us of being ripped-off was unanimous. My diet is mostly vegetarian, so this is in no way a slam against such restaurants, but I've found from experience that one is more likely to get burned at a vegetarian restaurant. Is it because we are so desperate for the no-red-meat experience in Cowtown that we'll accept anything? I hope not!

When I complained to the restaurant owners a few days later--once my anger had lessened--the response I got was pretty much "I guess we can't please everyone."

I've had unpleasant restaurant meals before, but I have never felt so compelled to comment on the experience. This place doesn't deserve to stay in business if it doesn't start offering better food and better value! Needless to say, we won't be returning!

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman View Post

I'm telling this to anyone who is interested. Save your money - this place is a ripoff! I've never had a worse dining experience. I went there almost two weeks ago, and both the door and the large, folding glass front windows were open, inappropriate for a February afternoon, letting in cold air AND exhaust fumes from busy 17th Ave. The smell of exhaust was prominent, and it's very unpleasant to breath such toxic air when you're trying to eat.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the prices would make one faint for what you get. For $8.50, I got a rather small bowl of peanut satay salad, with a paltry amount of satay dressing drizzled over a handful of greens, maybe four small pieces of tofu, and fewer pieces of broccoli. Once I had eaten this layer, I found a pile of unseasoned white noodles at the bottom of the bowl, with a few scattered peanuts. This should have had more dressing over it, but it didn't, and I have never tasted anything so bland. I couldn't shake enough salt on it. My two lunch companions had ordered similar salads, and we had to season these unappetizing noodles so often, there were times when we all reached for that overworked salt shaker at the same time, our eyes darting back and forth between us because no one could believe what we were going through to make our meal edible. I have since been told that this salad should have been stirred up, so that dressing coated everything--noodles included-- but there was nowhere near enough dressing for this.

The feeling among us of being ripped-off was unanimous. My diet is mostly vegetarian, so this is in no way a slam against such restaurants, but I've found from experience that one is more likely to get burned at a vegetarian restaurant. Is it because we are so desperate for the no-red-meat experience in Cowtown that we'll accept anything? I hope not!

When I complained to the restaurant owners a few days later--once my anger had lessened--the response I got was pretty much "I guess we can't please everyone."

I've had unpleasant restaurant meals before, but I have never felt so compelled to comment on the experience. This place doesn't deserve to stay in business if it doesn't start offering better food and better value! Needless to say, we won't be returning!
Wow, that sucks that you had such a bad experience. I've eaten there a few times so far and always been really satisfied.

I haven't tied the salads, but I have had 'el taco' and a qinoah dish that were unbelievably good, and the meals my friends have had were all fantastic too. While the portions are not as big as you may find in other restaurants, I found them to be the exact right amount of food ( and I don't have a little appetite).

I would really recommend trying it again.

With the window thing, was this during a chinook, or one of the colder days?

#46 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I would really recommend trying it again.

With the window thing, was this during a chinook, or one of the colder days?
I think it was 10 or 12 C that day, warm enough for the door being open, but not the big windows as well. But even if it had been warmer, there was too much pollution coming in.

No, I won't be going there again. I'm not going to gamble at being ripped off a second time. Restaurants only get one chance to make a good impression with me, and I didn't like the owner's attitude when I complained.

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post

Hi All

I agree that Edmonton is a pretty veggie friendly city. I still feel like this sometimes
living in cattle country. I would love an I love Alberta
sticker or tee shirt. Some other good restaurants in Edmonton are: Cafe Mosaics, Highlevel Diner, the New Asian Village.
Hi Veggies! I have a very big problem digesting red meat and I am allergic to chicken so I mostly eat fish and tofu. (Quinoa ROCKS!!!) I agree that Buddha's is amazing! They're Ginger "beef" is better than any restaurant out there. Even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. I am actually in the screenprinting/promotional goods industry and would be happy to put together a t-shirt/temporary tattoo/bumper sticker order for anyone. Email me at renee@wheatbuckley.com if you're interested.

~I (heart) Alberta Kittens, Do you see me eating them??~

#49 ·
Hi Veggies! I have a very big problem digesting red meat and I am allergic to chicken so I mostly eat fish and tofu. (Quinoa ROCKS!!!) I agree that Buddha's is amazing! They're Ginger "beef" is better than any restaurant out there. Even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. I am actually in the screenprinting/promotional goods industry and would be happy to put together a t-shirt/temporary tattoo/bumper sticker order for anyone. Email me at renee@wheatbuckley.com if you're interested.

~I (heart) Alberta Kittens, Do you see me eating them??~

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post

Hi All

I agree that Edmonton is a pretty veggie friendly city. I still feel like this sometimes
living in cattle country. I would love an I love Alberta
sticker or tee shirt. Some other good restaurants in Edmonton are: Cafe Mosaics, Highlevel Diner, the New Asian Village.
Hi Everyone,

I am usually a lurker but I had to join in on this thread... I love the humour!

Little bit about myself. I am what I call a "Forced Vegetarian". When I was young my Mother was a vegetarian. Then as an adult I became quite unable to digest red meat. Last year I went "Cold Chicken" when I was told all my allergies were caused my eating Chicken of all things. Thankfully I enjoy Tofu.

I have found that Buddha's is the best place in Calgary for veggie food. They're Ginger "Beef" is so good ~ even meat-heads don't know it's not meat. They also give you good tips on home cooked vegan food. I have a great Quinoa Pilaf recipe that they inspired.

***Dragonflie*** I am an Account Executive for Wheat Buckley (promotional goods company). If you are interested in a bumper sticker, T-shirt or anything else (temp tattoo even) drop me an email and we'll put something together. I personally like:

"I (heart) Alberta Kittens, do you see me eating them???"

Thanks to everyone else for putting a smile on my face - love the random thoughts Krista!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.