Alberta - Page 14 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#391 Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousLadyJane View Post

Hi Alberta! I am so jealous of those who live in Edmonton or Calgary (or fairly close). Wish I had access to great support and food. I live 200km west of Edmonton, and though it's *possible* to be vegetarian here, I have to be very creative. Is there a slim chance someone else is from here or close by? I feel like I am the only one in a 200km radius! Eating out is kind of challenging, some restaurants have no choice and when I order next to nothing people I am with have the look on their face that says "stup*d girl, as if THAT'S sustainable food". And oh the comments I've been getting, especially since I am fairly new to this. ha ha. Oh, what to do. A bit frustrating. I am think of making trips to the city to stock up every couple weeks on options a bit less boring, but not so sure that will work between my husbands schedule and our new arrival in a few weeks (baby!).

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to VB Jane!!

It' can be SO hard being a veggie in "cattle country" Alberta, trust me it's a huge issue at times! I was vegetarian for 5 years and vegan for 2.

As a veggie I stuck to pasta dishes, veggie and cheese pizza and things like that when I went out. As it stand now I can't even have those things..LOL!

If you come into Edmonton, you need to stop off at Loma House on the South side (by south commons). it is a vegetarian meat shop!! They have the most amazing "meats"! Of course you should be eating a balanced meal with veggies, grains, nuts, etc but it is sometimes nice to have some "comfort" food.

Congrats on the little one coming!!

If you wanna chat sometime, feel free to message me! VB is an awesome place for support

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Beginner

VeganTigress

I read this this afternoon and could have seriously cried from knowing someone close is encouraging. I have not been telling people I am vegetarian yet, but of course they are slowly finding out (even though it's been awhile) and oh my, it is so tough to deal with discrimination (because really, a few comments I've had so far sure feel that way). I am not trying to convince anyone to 'convert' nor am I pressing my opinion on anyone at all, but I do not get the same respect. I am 9 months pregnant, and apparently that's a ticket for people to belittle my choices or question my knowledge (which I've spent COUNTLESS hours researching via books, documentaries, online and more). I am so informed, more than probably my husband would know, and he's watched me poor over information for months now (whom I am so thankful for support, despite one or two comments that I can easily forgive lol ). I've been asked soooo many times if I'm eating enough protein for the baby (which I suppose is a valid question, but still a little insulting- not one I couldn't handle though). The worst happened today before I saw your reply, it was from a stranger whom referred to me as a fat vegetarian who doesn't know nutrition (which I explained I was actually pregnant- and I am the appropriate BMI carrying a very obvious hard round belly, plus was in much better shape than him). He replied that eating a baby for protein doesn't make me pregnant. HUH??? But even this doesn't bug me as much as close people in my life making off hand (but sincerely concerned, I guess) remarks.

Anyway, this has turned into a frustrated gripe when really I just want to thank you for the local support- can't wait to check out the places you've mentioned. I was at Planet Organic this past week and LOVED it, can't wait to try the *meats* at Loma's- there are no good 'meats' here at all, lol.

Thanks for sharing your story too, I plan to be vegan one day, but it seems this is about all I can handle in 'cattle country' right now.

Thanks!

LJane
#393 Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

FamousLadyJane, that guy sounds like an ignorant ass. You just have to ignore the crazies and the hicks like him. There are a lots of them out here in Alberta, but there are also lots and lots of like minded souls too! I'm in Edmonton as well, so only 200kms away from you. I know the whole Alberta beef thing can be brutal, but there are lots of veggie options in the city here.

If you ever feel like awesome Vegetarian Indian food in Edmonton, I can hook you up! Just let me know- I work at an insanely good restaurant where veggies and omnivores can all be fed amazing food till they explode!

Vegan Tigress, which planet organic will your stuff be at?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#394 Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

FamousLadyJane, that guy sounds like an ignorant ass. You just have to ignore the crazies and the hicks like him. There are a lots of them out here in Alberta, but there are also lots and lots of like minded souls too! I'm in Edmonton as well, so only 200kms away from you. I know the whole Alberta beef thing can be brutal, but there are lots of veggie options in the city here.

If you ever feel like awesome Vegetarian Indian food in Edmonton, I can hook you up! Just let me know- I work at an insanely good restaurant where veggies and omnivores can all be fed amazing food till they explode!

Vegan Tigress, which planet organic will your stuff be at?

Hey Synergy!

My cookies and 2 layered vegan pumpkin cheesecake will be at thw planet organic by Whyte Ave

This is the first time I have been back baking in months! Hubby and I have been on a workout program and I have lost 4 pounds and 6 inches! Baking tends to be counter active since we eat it when I make it. When I heard about the bake sale i JUMPED at the chance to bake again! LOL!

Hope you get some yummy stuff!

VeganTigress

May you be at peace.

#395 Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh! Here are my donations to the Vegan Bake Sale held today in Edmonton at the Whyte Avenue Planet Organic!

I made the Chocolate Chip & Pecan Cookies & 2 layered pumpkin vegan cheesecake!

Stop buy and try some

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

LL
LL
LL

May you be at peace.

#396 Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTigress View Post

Oh! Here are my donations to the Vegan Bake Sale held today in Edmonton at the Whyte Avenue Planet Organic!

I made the Chocolate Chip & Pecan Cookies & 2 layered pumpkin vegan cheesecake!

Stop buy and try some

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

Boo, I forgot about this... I was even in Planet Organic today, just ran in for some Tofurkey Keilbassa Sausage for a picnic. I didn't see any of your baking. I'm sure it was awesome though.

#397 Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginner

I definitely need to get my hands into some vegan baking skills! Delightful!
#398 Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello, Albertans! Glad there are at least a few of us. Speaking of Planet Organic, I love their cookbook. Hail to the Kale will make any omni drool. The recipe rocks for picnics and BBQs. Everyone will love it.
#399 Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Hello, Albertans! Glad there are at least a few of us. Speaking of Planet Organic, I love their cookbook. Hail to the Kale will make any omni drool. The recipe rocks for picnics and BBQs. Everyone will love it.

Hey there I love PO I live right beside one! Woo Hoo!

I actually can't stand Kale I tried it, trust me I wanted to like it... but....~shudder~ Just no...LOL! I know how good it is for you but it's like my body refuses to eat it..LOL!

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be at peace.

#400 Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Beginner

Hey Albertans! Really cool company that just started up this May in Edmonton. Thought I'd share it. http://www.theorganicbox.ca/
#401 Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousLadyJane' date='27 May 2010 - 01:53 AM' timestamp='1274946831' post='2644159 View Post

Hey Albertans! Really cool company that just started up this May in Edmonton. Thought I'd share it. http://www.theorganicbox.ca/

Wow, this is great. I wish you all the best, and wish that I had a bigger household and would use that much produce. I hope to see you still around when I have a family so I can partake!!!

#402 Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Guys!

There is a pole on http://www.630ched.com/ (right side of homepage closer to the bottom) which is asking if the rodeos should be stopped due to 6 horses already dying in one this year. Please take the few minutes to vote and express your opinion on the use of animals in "entertainment".

Currently " No- the animals are well cared for, accidents happen" is winning at 63%.

~sigh~

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be at peace.

#403 Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Hello. This is my first post here. I would just like to say hello to my fellow Alberta veggies. Im living in Edmonton and have recently, about 2 months ago, gone ovo(no lacto) veggi. But have been veggi on and off sisnce I was a kid. Would just like to touch base with any other locals who want to say hi B)
#404 Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey there, sorry I didn't see this for so long!

I'm in Edmonton too. There are a few of us here. How's it going? How are you finding shopping and dining these days?

#405 Old 10-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Attention Calgarian vegans: Community Natural Foods (downtown) has Daiya vegan shredded cheese! I've heard wonderful things about it online, and purchased some today. Looking forward to eating it very soon!
#406 Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Does anyone know if there are any groups or charities that share free vegan food to those in need (in Edmonton)? I've heard of "Food not Bombs" but I'm curious if there are any others out there. I'd love to volunteer for something like this.
#407 Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Attention Calgarian vegans: Community Natural Foods (downtown) has Daiya vegan shredded cheese! I've heard wonderful things about it online, and purchased some today. Looking forward to eating it very soon!

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely check it out!!! =)

"wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
#408 Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya3 View Post

Does anyone know if there are any groups or charities that share free vegan food to those in need (in Edmonton)? I've heard of "Food not Bombs" but I'm curious if there are any others out there. I'd love to volunteer for something like this.

Hmm, Edmontonian here and I am not sure of anything like that. Your best bet is to contact the vegan & vegetarian's of Alberta. They would know

May you be at peace.

#409 Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Canmore/Banff, AB checking in Nobody knows if there's a vegan bakery anywhere in my area do you? Don't want to have to drive all the way to Calgary for some cookies
#410 Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Hotel Macdonald's Resturant(In Edmonton) now has it's own vegan menu!! It's yummy! If you don't want something off that menu they will make you anything you like!They even have a selection of vegan friendly wines! Hubby and me go there a lot and have done for 3 years! They made us a 7 course meal for special occasions and if you want a nice romantic meal, they deliver!

If you travel to edmonton it's an awesome hotel too so it's just good to know!

Pop down there for breakfast lunch for dinner! Speak with Mark Crisholm and he will take great care of you and all your vegan and vegetarian needs

May you be at peace.

#411 Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine forwarded me some information about a seminar being held Friday (May 1st) at the Acricom (Northlands) here in Edmonton AB.

"You should leave work early on Friday or take an extended lunch. Farm and Ranch Show has a seminar you may be interested in attending. They are expecting some media coverage. "

2:30 p.m. Business of Beef: Threats to Agriculture from Animal Rights & Environmental Activists
Anne Anderson
Hall B - Business of Beef"

May you be at peace.

#412 Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Any Albertans going to be hanging out at the Alberta legislature grounds next Wednesday?
#413 Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey my Edmontonian Friends!

Our Clinic is in need of a home for 2 incredibly sweet female kittens! They are vaccinated and were from a housefire.

They are both perfectly healthy as per our vet and ridculously social because of all the cuddles and snuggles from the staff.

I have already rescued 5 cats so I am at capacity but these little girls are wonderful and need a great home(s).

My favorite is Madeline (maddy for short). She loves to be curled up on your chest and give kisses.

I will post some pics if anyone is interested!

VeganTigress

May you be at peace.

#414 Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi all! I'll be moving to your lovely province soon from BC. Just wanted to say hi :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#415 Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

yay!

May you be at peace.

#416 Old 07-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Dead topic eh?
#417 Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM

No doubt!
#418 Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTigress View Post

My favorite is Madeline (maddy for short). She loves to be curled up on your chest and give kisses.

I will post some pics if anyone is interested!

VeganTigress
I just read this...nobody said yes to kitty pics?....It's been three years but yes please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page