British Columbia - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Capers is really good..there's a Capers in Kitsilano on 4th West. There's a choices somewhere on Granvile I believe. They have awesome food there!

What're you doing in New West?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

i just got a place in new westminster!!!

anybody know of any good places to buy vegan goodies/ good restaurants that cater to veg*ns?

Places in or near New Westminster:

There's a Vietnamese restaurant called "Paradise Vegetarian Noodle House" located smack on the border between Burnaby and New Westminster. It's at 8681 10th Avenue in Burnaby. It's in a strip mall called "Crest Shopping Centre", but most people call it "Crest Plaza" or "The Crest". It's not entirely vegan since there's a dessert that has fried bananas that come with dairy ice-cream, and the bubble teas have dairy in them. I'm also unsure about their fake meat products (fake ham, fake salmon, etc.), because they were informed that their ham contained whey protein and that it wasn't vegan (they used to think it was vegan, probably due to their poor command of the English language). Perhaps they use other mock meats that contain animal ingredients and they just don't recognize that it's not vegan.

There's "Galloway's Specialty Foods", but I've never been there. I've been to Victoria's Health, a vitamin store in the New Westminster Quay, and they had a few vegan food items, but not many. I also remember going to a health food store in the Cariboo neighbourhood of Burnaby I think it was, and they had more East Indian items than the average health food store, as well as the usual Western items. There's a Choices supermarket in southern Burnaby, right behind the Edmonds Skytrain station. You'll need to walk through a wooded trail, and some train tracks (if my memory serves me right), to get to it. It's about a two minute walk from the skytrain.

I don't know if any of these places are still around though, because some of them I haven't visited in years. Maybe you should phone first if you're worried about trekking out to one of them for nothing.
#153 Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Beginner

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 09-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

This is sort of short notice, but I'm meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow in Vancouver. I know there are several Buddhist chinese places that offer vegan/vegetarian Dim Sum and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a recomendation.
#155 Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 AM

For those who are interested... I contacted www.tribeofheart.org to see if I could order Peaceable Kingdom and/or The Witness and this is what they told me:

Thanks for your interest in The Witness! We now have a Canadian distributor

of our films, Zoocheck Canada. You can order from them online at this link

(scroll down to bottom of page):

http://www.zoocheck.com/estore/

Or you can contact them by phone at (416) 285-1744, or by email at

[email protected] -- let me know if you have any more questions. And I

hope you enjoy the film.

Best wishes,
#156 Old 09-10-2005, 01:11 PM
zel

hi! I hope this is the proper forum for this question...if not, someone, feel free to point me in the right direction! Anyway, I'm heading up to Vancouver this Sunday with my parents. I am a vegan, but they are avid meat-eaters. Are there any good restaurants in Vancouver where vegans and meat-eaters can find happiness and warm, full tummy's?

Thanks in advance and, again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I'm new
#157 Old 09-10-2005, 11:25 PM

You're in the right thread but I don't live in Vancouver so I can't help you. I think there are some previous posts in this thread that give some Vancouver veg retaurants.
#158 Old 09-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Beginner

actually, i have some compies of peaceable kingdom if anybody would like them

i'm in new west, but frequently travel out to vancouver
#159 Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Hi,

I am desperately looking for a vegan/vegetarian day care/playgroup for my three-years old son in Vancouver. Anybody could help me for that?
#160 Old 09-18-2005, 04:33 AM

Another thing I'd like to mention to canadianSKA and all us vegans living in New West, Burnaby, or northern Surrey:

Today I just found out something I never knew before, and am quite excited about. There's an IGA supermarket in Columbia Square strip mall walking distance from the New Westminster Skytrain Station that has one of the best selections of vegan foods in a mainstream grocery store I've ever seen. They have Earth Balance margarine, Earth Balance whipped, Earth Balance shortening, Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese, Soy Delcious ice creams, So Good ice creams, organic chocolate ice cream sandwiches (Lil Buddies, I think was the name), a Terra Breads rack, Amy's cheeseless pizza, Amy's shepherd's pie,Tayo potato drink, various rice drinks in the non-refridgerated section, Tropical Source peanut butter chocolate chips, TastyBite ready-to-eat chana masala and lentils, Greek stuffed cabbage, Greek stuffed grape leaves, a creme caramel flan (which I'm not sure is vegan, since it contains lactoflavin, which can be animal-sourced). They just had so many vegan items that I don't see at other grocery stores; even at some of the other IGA locations.

I'm happy I've found this place, because before, whenever I wanted to buy some specialty vegan items after 6pm, I'd have to ride the skytrain all the way to Edmonds Station to go to Choices. New West Station is a couple stations closer to me.
#161 Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Beginner

WOAH.... i live like 2 blocks form there but have been sticking to all the local markets...

guess i should start going there more often!

thanks for the tip!
#162 Old 10-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Hiya. I'm hopping up to Vancouver on business next week, and I was wondering about veg places to eat and Earth-friendly things to do. I guess I ought to read this whole thread from page 1, but there were two things in particular I was wondering about.

1. Last time I was there, everyone suggested a restaurant called "Nam" or "Nom" or something like that. Any ideas where this place is?

2. I remember seeing (somewhere on/near Granville St. behind the art museum) a clothing store that donates its proceeds to a wildlife charity. Does anyone know the place I'm talking about?

Also, are there any interesting events scheduled this month? Thanks!
#163 Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Quickly jumping in - I'm in Victoria, BC!

Husband and I are Vegetarian, young daughter Vegan so far, so we lean more and more that way to make for less cooking.
#164 Old 10-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Beginner

http://www.vancouverveg.com/vegguide.php

this is a good thing to have with you when in vancouver...the naam is listed somewhere in there ...if you stop in at banyan books hit aphrodites...small personal and yummy (not wholly veg*n though)
#165 Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesonthenose View Post

http://www.vancouverveg.com/vegguide.php

this is a good thing to have with you when in vancouver...the naam is listed somewhere in there ...if you stop in at banyan books hit aphrodites...small personal and yummy (not wholly veg*n though)

Oh WOW! Thanks--this is perfect!
#166 Old 10-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Beginner

your welcome
#167 Old 10-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymc View Post

Quickly jumping in - I'm in Victoria, BC!

Husband and I are Vegetarian, young daughter Vegan so far, so we lean more and more that way to make for less cooking.

I haven't been to Green Cusine but I think just about every veg*n in BC has been there.

So have you been and if so what do you think of it?

Welcome to Veggieboards.
#168 Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Hey everyone, I doubt anyone remembers who I am but I joined this forum about a year ago. I live in Victoria and have been a vegetarian for about a year and a half now. I work with the UVic Vegan Association (UVA) but am not a vegan. If anyone is interested in joined UVA or find out about what kind of work we do let me know. And there is an animal legal defence conference tommorow at uvic that I'm sure everyone knows about. If not here is the email I received:

I am getting in touch with all of you to tell you about a free animal rights conference the UVic Student Animal Legal Defense Fund is hosting on Friday. November 4 from 9 am till 6 pm. Advocating for Animals: A Voice for the Voiceless will be hosting a range of speakers from American and Canadian animal lawyers, a law professor, and philosophy professor. The conference is FREE, and will be located at the UVic campus in the Fraser Building, Room 158. The first 75 attendees who register by October 28 will receive a FREE vegan catered lunch by Green Cuisine. To register for this free conference and free catered vegan lunch, please email [email protected] with your contact information by October 28. Registration is also available the day of the conference, but the free lunch will not be. This conference is open to the general public, and anyone with an interest in animal issues is highly encouraged to attend. I hope that all of you may be able to attend the conference, and that you might be able to help us advertise the event to any animal activists you are in contact with in the area.
#169 Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Greetings fellow veggies in the Vancouver area. Friends and I have started up a new chapter of Food Not Bombs in the GVRD. If you aren't sure what Food Not Bombs is, check out the organization's main website. In short we collect vegetarian foods from stores and restaurants that is no longer saleable but still edible, rescue it from being thrown away, and prepare it to serve to anyone who would enjoy a hot vegetarian meal for free.

We are always looking for donations and new volunteers to help with finding and collecting food, preparing and serving the food, postering and leafletting, etc. If you're interested in helping shoot us an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks and hope to see you out there!
#170 Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG!! Kreeli!! Just glad to see you post here again.... thats all...

I don't live close enough to Vancouver or I'd check it out, seriously!!
#171 Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 AM

Saturday November 26th, 1pm: Film Screening of "The Witness" and "The Emotional World of Farm Animals".

Pacific Cinematheque theatre

1131 Howe Street (near Davie Street)

(Downtown Vancouver near the Granville Street Bridge)

Tickets: Only $4

Screening will be followed by a discussion period

and some free tasty draw-prizes

Event schedule:

~1:10 Screening of The Witness

~2:10 Screening of The Emotional World of Farm Animals

~3:00 Discussion

Books will be for sale such as "Becoming Vegan", "Introduction to Animal Rights", and "Rain Without Thunder".
#172 Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

Greetings fellow veggies in the Vancouver area. Friends and I have started up a new chapter of Food Not Bombs in the GVRD. If you aren't sure what Food Not Bombs is, check out the organization's main website. In short we collect vegetarian foods from stores and restaurants that is no longer saleable but still edible, rescue it from being thrown away, and prepare it to serve to anyone who would enjoy a hot vegetarian meal for free.

We are always looking for donations and new volunteers to help with finding and collecting food, preparing and serving the food, postering and leafletting, etc. If you're interested in helping shoot us an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks and hope to see you out there!

Wow, I never knew that Food Not Bombs was vegetarian.
#173 Old 12-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a store in Vancouver that sells fake leather jackets. I have found some websites that sell them but I'd like to actually try the jacket on before buying.

Thanks for any suggestions
#174 Old 01-01-2006, 10:32 AM

Hi from Japan!

Very new so sorry not sure how to use forums.

Trying to contact Veer, a vegetarian guy living in Surrey, into motorcycles and studying Japanese.

If anyone knows him please ask him to contact me here.

If anyone wants to visit Japan and needs advice or a place to stay please contact me as it is not easy being vegetarian in Japan.
#175 Old 02-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Hi is anyone around here from Prince George? I live in toronto now but i was thinking of moving there to attend UNBC. jus wondering how it is to live there.
#176 Old 04-22-2006, 12:14 AM

Cloverdale Rodeo: There will be a protest on Sunday May 21st and Monday May 22nd 2006. We will protest for two hours: 2pm-4pm. We'll be holding signs at the corner of 176th Street and 60th Avenue in Surrey, BC, Canada, which is in front of the Cloverdale Fairgrounds and the Surrey Museum & Archives. If nothing's changed since last year, there should be an ESSO gas station and a 7-11 convenience store across the street, in case you need to go to the washroom.

There's a bus that goes right near where we are protesting, but you might not want to take the bus after protesting, or if you've been to previous year's protests, since pro-rodeo people might recognize your face and heckel you. So, there will be carpools from the King George Skytrain Station at 1pm on both days.

Signs will be provided.

There are also hopes to get together a few diners to have a meal at Mayuri restaurant. It is a lacto-vegetarian restaurant located at 12677-80th Avenue (at 127th St) in Surrey. This South Indian eatery is walking distance from Vegetarian Delite Bakery (in case anyone was wondering where it was). Send me a PM (private message) if you want to come to the restaurant, and tell me what time you'd be able to come. You can come to just the restaurant or just the protest(s) or both. I phoned them and they said they are closed on Mondays. They said they are open from 11am-9pm on Sundays. I don't think they'd be closed that Sunday because I said "May 21st" on the phone. I think the only time we'd be able to meetup at the restaurant BEFORE the protest is 11am, since there's going to be a carpool meetup at King George Station at 1pm. The earliest time after the protest would probably be 4:45pm, since the protest ends at 4:00pm. Those are the two times that I think would be most convenient, but anytime between 4:45pm and 8pm would work also.

So send me a private message!
#177 Old 06-20-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi all! I was pointed here for local questions, so here we go.

Does anyone know where I can buy seitan in Vancouver? I've been lookng for ages and haven't had any luck. Even Choices doesn't carry it. Boo!
#178 Old 06-24-2006, 07:21 PM

there's a japanese grocery at clark and venables that might carry it
#179 Old 07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone! Long time, no post. I have been a very busy woman! I hope we're all doing well.

I'd like to invite locals to come visit me this summer as I have begun selling vegan goodies at the Farmers Markets around Vancouver and the Lower Mainland this year. You can check out the goods, make custom/special/advance orders for anything your heart desires by visiting my newly revamped website:

http://www.veganmania.com

The recipes section is still there, of course - but it will be undergoing a renovation in the near future as well.

If you do come check out my stall this summer, make sure you mention you heard about it from VB.

Thanks everyone!

Big love!
#180 Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

OH YAY! KREELI'S BACK!

Which Farmer's Markets? I'll be vacationing in the greater Vancouver area in August, and would love to stop by just to say "Hi" for the heck of it!!

And PLEASE PLEASE leave the recipes on your webpage, I refer to it all the time and send others there for great veg. ideas as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page