British Columbia - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 04-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

a head's up to all veggies in the vancouver area...i am thinking i'll be hosting a vegan potluck sometime around mid-may. leave your name here if you are interested in attending and i'll PM you the info when i decide what date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 AM

There are plans to have a picket on two days at the Cloverdale Rodeo in Surrey, BC. The first day will be on Saturday, May 22, and the second day will be on Sunday, May 23. These dates were chosen because most people have work or school on Friday, and even though Monday is a holiday, it is not a holiday in the USA, in case any BELLINGHAMmers or BLAINErs want to come. It's the same schedule for both days:

We'll meet at the King George Skytrain Station in Surrey at 1:30pm. We'll then carpool to Cloverdale, and start protesting at 2:00pm. At 4:00pm we'll stop and carpool back to the King George Skytrain Station, where people can use public transit to get back to their homes (or drive their own car, if they decide to park near the station).

If you have your own car, it is recommended that you volunteer to transport people to Cloverdale, as many of the protesters don't own cars or don't have their driver's license yet. As far as I know, there are no buses that go to Cloverdale (we probably wouldn't be carpooling if there were buses).

Signs will be provided, but if you're worried that there may be more protesters than signs, you can bring your own.

Since the protest is two hours, I recommend wearing shoes will good quality soles. Last year I wore a pair of those $3 discount department store canvas shoes with the thin rubber soles, and my feet were aching after about an hour. Also try to avoid fake leather and go for canvas, plastic, or hemp shoes, because many of the rodeo goers say things like "What about your leather shoes!".
#63 Old 04-17-2004, 11:18 PM

In my last post I said that there aren't any buses that go to Cloverdale. Now I am not so sure. The reason why I said that is because someone who lives in the Cloverdale area told me that there aren't any buses that go there, but I visited a webpage concerning bus routes, and found out that if you get off at the Surrey Central Skytrain station and go to Station Bay 2 and board the #320 Langley Centre via Willowbrook, it will take you to the corner of 176th St. and 62nd Ave (where the Cloverdale Rodeo is). The bus ride is 32 minutes: you get on the #320 at 1:15pm, and it drops you off at 1:47pm.

We'll still be doing the carpooling though, for a number of reasons. One is that some people don't feel comfortable riding the bus (I have met adults who have never ridden a bus before). Another reason is the cameraderie and socializing. Some people enjoy the conversation that occurs as we wait in the station, and as we travel in the car.

Also, when I recommended that people wear plastic shoes, I didn't mean the kind of plastic that is made to look like fake leather (at one veg promotion, a woman with Doc Marten-looking shoes was approached by a man who said, "But you're wearing leather shoes", and she said, "No, these are plastic", and then he said, "But you're promoting the look of leather." I think it's better to just avoid these situations by wearing something that cannot be mistaken for leather. The kinds of plastic shoes I were thinking of are those ones that people where in the summer or at the beach. Lots of elementary-school aged girls wear them, they're quite cheap, they're clear plastic with sparkles in them, or have cartoon characters on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 PM

what about the Luxton Rodeo in Victoria BC?
#65 Old 08-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know if Vancouver has a weekly independent rag aimed at alternative news, music, etc, similar to "The Stranger" in Seattle?
#66 Old 08-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in dawson creek BC... though it seems most of you live to the south.
#67 Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM

This coming weekend (Oct 16th-ish), I'll be hitting Seattle for a day or two with a couple of vegan brits. From there, up to Vancouver for about 4 days, then on to Kelowna for a little over a week. Suggestions on:

Places to stay in Vancouver (and Seattle, I suppose), and places to eat and things to do in Kelowna and Vancouver?
#68 Old 10-14-2004, 11:46 PM

Hello all, I just joined here and it looks great. I recently turned vegetarian and always manage to get brought to mainstream restaurants when we go out and have a choice of the one or two veggie meals on the menu. Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone has a list of good vegetarian restaurants (not necessarily vegan) here in Victoria that you would recommend. It would be much appreciated.
#69 Old 12-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post

Does anyone know if Vancouver has a weekly independent rag aimed at alternative news, music, etc, similar to "The Stranger" in Seattle?

I don't know "the stranger" but I do know journalism.

The Georgia Strait is the biggest "alternative" paper in the LM. Some would argue how alternative it is. It's been around forever. I'm guessing that's what you're looking for. www.straight.com

This link also has info on other independent publications like Shared Vision, Common Ground and the Tyee (a new online independent).

http://www.thefulcrumproject.org/links.html

Hope that helps.

Saje
#70 Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking I might move to Vancouver a year of two from now, and I like to know a great deal about everything before I do it...could any of you nice folks tell me where the best place is for a vegan to live in Vancouver?

I'll stick a link to a map of the area on the mls website at the bottom of this post. I've never been so if someone could just let me know which area I should be learning about, it'd be greatly appreciated.

http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=3547

Thanx for all input.
#71 Old 12-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Beginner

Well, you can be vegan anywhere in Vancouver and surrounding areas pretty much. The West End is probably the most friendly and expensive. I paid around $800 a month for 1-bedroom and some of my friends paid a lot more.

There are all sorts of ethnic and healthfood stores in Van. Lots of vegan restaurants too particularly on Commercial Drive.

I don't know the city like some lifers do but it's a great place. One of my favourites and I've travelled a lot.

What else do you want to know?
#72 Old 12-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

areas i wish i could afford to live in, as a vegan:

east end/commercial drive area

kitsilano/west end area

main street/cambie street area, between, say, 12th and 27th

the cheapest of these areas will be commercial drive, and you can often find likeminded roomies to share a place with if you put up a posting at vancouver craigslist. otherwise you are looking at tiny bachelor suites or basement suites in houses, for the same kind of rent, in the other areas.

i would avoid any of the outlying areas/municipalities/cities in the GVRD. i live in one of them and there is virtually nothing vegan-centric around here, though my local grocery store carries quite a few vegan items, anyway. the price is right, though.
#73 Old 12-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm...interesting....I posted the same sort of question on a different forum and got a response from someone calling herself "Saje" there too....

Yeah, I think the west end is preferable, but god knows what my financial situation will be when I actually head over. Hopefully good and then that's where I'll go. I guess I should say "if". The rentals sound simillar to Toronto prices, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Thanx Kreeli, I'll check out all of the places you mentioned...loox like you've given me an excellent place to start.
#74 Old 12-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Beginner

I don't know what the scowly face is for. I'm allowed to go to other forums.

Oh well.
#75 Old 12-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not scowly, it's a thinky face. As in "I wonder...."

Sorry if it looked accusatory. I didn't design it! It's not my fault!

*runs away in tears*

->
#76 Old 12-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Beginner

LOL Ok. My fault. I'm senstive sometimes. <sigh> And I have been known to read toomuch into things

Forgive me
#77 Old 12-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Beginner

i've applied to my mum's co-op in false creek and i am praying like mad that i get accepted. i hate living in the suburbs.
#78 Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Beginner

Anyone in Northern BC? I'm in PG

It's like a lower mainland convention here! lol
#79 Old 01-10-2005, 08:45 PM

Hey you guys i just found this forum

I live on the island!
#80 Old 01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Snowbunny, I Also Live In Vernon....in The Mountains. Small World I Guess.
#81 Old 01-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I just moved back to Vernon, but I'm feelin kinda.......bored! I'm thinkin about moving to Vancouver for atleast awhile, but I have no-one to move with (so far). All my friends seem pretty rooted at the moment. I do know one guy there, but he already has a roomie, and no doubt their place is too small for one more . So, if anyone knows of a good resourse for finding people that are looking for roomies, or......uh you get the idea. I also have no idea what I'm doin. I'm a little freaked out about moving there, sometimes it sounds kinda rough, plus I'll be on my own for the first time (x lifetime of relationships). Also, what are some fun things to do there? I figure with all the people so far that I have seen that are around Van, that it wouldnt be too hard to get some info. Thanx
#82 Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

check http://vancouver.craigslist.org in the "shared accomodations" section. a lot of people put up stuff there.

vancouver is great.
#83 Old 01-30-2005, 05:46 PM

Hysteric Glamour, I'm not from bc, but my boyfriend is going to school in PG right now and i'm going up to visit him in a few weeks... do you know of any good places to eat? he's omni, but a big fan of all things veg*n (except soymilk)
#84 Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Beginner

does anyone know anything about life in courtenay (sp??) i am contemplating contemplating a move there if i can get a work transfer but i have nevr been there i've just been told i'd be happy there by a few people?
#85 Old 01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh, there seem to be a number of questions in this thread, but not too many answers. I'll ask another anyway:

Is anyone familliar with the Gastown area of Vancouver? It looks like a nice place to live and I'm wondering if any locals know if that's so or if there is some sort of problem with noise or meat festivals? Hmmm...
#86 Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

gastown and the adjacent yaletown are among the trendiest areas of downtown vancouver to live right now...and rents and property values reflect that. i think you will get a fairly small living space for a huge amount of money. but if that doesn't bother you i'm sure you'd enjoy being down there. it's quite busy and it gets a lot of tourist traffic, but i don't think there are any meat festivals. ha!
#87 Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Kreeli, and yeah I noticed the large price tags on the bigger places (yikes!). What's your favourite area?
#88 Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

because i am a dirty hippy, i like commercial drive or main street.
#89 Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone. i just joined after lurking for a while and wanted to say hello to the fellow bcers out there. i was surprised to see a poster from Dawson Creek, that's where i was born. And to HystericGlamour, i was just up in PG for Christmas (or at least was on the way home to Smithers).

i'm currently in Burnaby studying at SFU and am dying to find a good veg*n chinese food place. anyone wanna point me in some cool directions for finding one?
#90 Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Beginner

I've been to Vancouver BC. It's a beautiful place. I stayed on Jericho beach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page