13 Mind-Blowing Two-Course Vegan Meals in Vancouver - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4946&catId=4

I have walked past The Wallflower a million times, I knew they had some vegan stuff but why did I never look at their menu before? drool.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 AM

That list... I'm so jealous!! It all sounds so good

Nyamooo! Nyama nyaamaaaa nyamma nyamma nyamooo

#3 Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

There is a lot of great stuff here, we're lucky. The only problem is my wallet and waistline... laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Werewolf girl. what are some of your fav veg restaurants. my best friend said she would try some out with me so i have been looking on yelp, and urban spoon. Apparently Nuba has good reviews. I also want to try Tera V burger.  Im assuming you live near the vancouver area as you mentioned the  wallflower. Im so glad theres a fellow bc girl on this board :)

#5 Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

Werewolf girl. what are some of your fav veg restaurants. my best friend said she would try some out with me so i have been looking on yelp, and urban spoon. Apparently Nuba has good reviews. I also want to try Tera V burger.  Im assuming you live near the vancouver area as you mentioned the  wallflower. Im so glad theres a fellow bc girl on this board smiley.gif

Yup, I live pretty close to the Vancouver General Hospital and City Hall. grin.gif

Nuba isn't a vegetarian restaurant but they do have fantastic vegetarian and vegan options, I love their hummus. Same with The Wallflower, they serve meat but also have a crazy good vegan mac and cheese and some other options. There are a ton of places like that that have veg options, I keep discovering more all the the time.

Another place I recently discovered is Storm Crow Tavern, they are a nerd bar/restaurant with tons of geeky stuff all over the walls and they have some great vegan options that are clearly labeled on the menu. Their chickpea fries and poutine are unreal: https://www.facebook.com/stormcrowtavern

I've been to Tera V Burger a few times and they are pretty great, it's nice to have somewhere to get veg fast food. The No Bull burger is my favourite although I haven't tried everything.

My absolute favourite vegan burger place in Vancouver isn't an actual restaurant but a food cart, The Loving Hut food cart. Their burgers and sandwiches are insane and they have onion rings and fries and tiramisu. They have some amazing food pics here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loving-Hut-Vancouver/130636340351051?id=130636340351051&sk=photos_stream

If you like Mexican food you've gotta check out Bandidas Taqueria on Commercial Drive, it's all vegetarian and I think everything can be veganized: http://bandidastaqueria.com/

Hope that helps, let me know what places you try. smiley.gif
ellephants3 likes this.

#6 Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Some joints in San Francisco come close, but Vancouver is probably tops in the world for raw food dining; Gorilla's offerings are pretty awesome.

I don't know most of these restaurants- are they all vegan places? 

#7 Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks so much for those suggestions werewolve girl. I cant wait to give them a try. My older sis lives on the island ( nanaimo) and apparently there is some good veg restaurants in victoria. So next time im over there i will take a day trip to vic.
Wow pandiculationco is it actually? I guess i have never really appreaciate living so close to Van. Now im feeling rather lucky that i have easy access to vegan places. There is also a lot of health food stores in van too! This will definitley make my vegan journey easier!
#8 Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM

Oh how I wish I lived in BC. I heard its a good place to live. Is there a good population of veg*ns in Vancouver? I live in NB and haven't met any so far :(

#9 Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Wow pandiculationco is it actually? I guess i have never really appreaciate living so close to Van. Now im feeling rather lucky that i have easy access to vegan places. There is also a lot of health food stores in van too! This will definitley make my vegan journey easier!

I don't think it's necessarily the best city for vegan food, for that I think you have to go stateside- probably down town San Francisco, or University district Seattle- but for raw vegan food, totally.

Your mileage may vary though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Weasel View Post

Oh how I wish I lived in BC. I heard its a good place to live. Is there a good population of veg*ns in Vancouver? I live in NB and haven't met any so far :(

It's a big city, so there are vegans, but it's not very organized.  It's probably similar to NB- I'm sure there are vegans there, it's just hard to find em'

I think there are just more omnivores who are health conscious and like to eat vegan or raw vegan fare now and then.

Far be it from me to go into the nuances of the film biz and the local government's very smart policies, but let's just say a lot of Hollywood has moved North of the border as of late- and that may be where most of it is coming from.

But wherever it comes from, it's still great :)

#10 Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are a lot of vegans here you just have to know where to look. Liberation BC is really good at organizing events, also the Fur Bearer Defenders. There's a vegan prom every year that's really fun and great for meeting people, also a big vegan Thanksgiving with a few hundred people and this vegan dinner club I heard about. Also a few other annual events like VegFest, The Walk for Farm Animals, etc. It was better when Karmavore was around to organize charity events but they burned down awhile ago. sad.gif

#11 Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

werewolve girl Omg wow I will have to delve more deeply into the vegan world vancouver has to offer! Thats so great. 

Pandiculationco wow really? I would have thought that los angeles and like new york would be top veg places. Portland is pretty good no? Thats only a 4-5 hour drive from me. seattle is only 2 hours i believe. i should go on a vegan road trip lol 

#12 Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Also a few other annual events like VegFest, The Walk for Farm Animals, etc. It was better when Karmavore was around to organize charity events but they burned down awhile ago. sad.gif

Oh, I didn't know about The Walk for Farm Animals, that sounds cool!

Do you mean like, literally burned down?

Quote:

Pandiculationco wow really? I would have thought that los angeles and like new york would be top veg places. Portland is pretty good no? Thats only a 4-5 hour drive from me. seattle is only 2 hours i believe. i should go on a vegan road trip lol 

IMHO, Seattle is way better than Portland.  Not that Portland doesn't have a lot of vegan options everywhere, but there aren't very many vegan restaurants (exclusively) because it's a smaller city (despite a slightly larger per capita vegan population), and the vegan restaurants they do have are... eh, not the best I'm sorry to say (not that they don't have some good stuff here and there).

Seattle has a larger population to draw from, and more all around foodie culture to produce some good vegan restaurants- particularly in the University district, where there's a huge student vegan population, and non-vegans willing to eat vegan sometimes.  It's stuff you don't find most places.

LA has a lot of vegan restaurants, but a lot of them use cheese and some use meat- they're more targeting omnivores who are jumping on the vegan trend wagon.  Lots of fake stuff and junk food, and meat contamination (which the omnivores don't care about, and that's both most of the business, and most of the staff and ownership). That is not to say that there aren't some great vegan restaurants tucked away here and there in LA, just going by the majority, it's not a good hot spot for good vegan food (though it's easy to find vegan options anywhere; just don't expect to be blown away with culinary innovation).

NY, I don't know as well; NY is huge, you'll find anything you're looking for there (if you're patient)... but it's not known as a vegan friendly city in particular (compared to the West coast) in a per-capita sense.  I mean, it has more than ten times the population of Seattle, and only about ties for vegetarian restaurants.  It's just big enough to find anything (or sustain any niche).  So, that much population is kind of cheating. ^_^

Of course, your mileage may vary.  I could have just gotten really lucky in some places, and had really bad luck in others :)
#13 Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

Yeah, they should be doing the walk again sometime this year in the summer but I'm not sure when.

And I don't think Karmavore literally burned to the ground but there was a bad fire in a nearby store and there was bad enough damage that their insurance couldn't cover it and they weren't able to reopen. At least I don't think they have any plans to in the foreseeable future but I wish they would! I miss that place.

#14 Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

IMHO, Seattle is way better than Portland.  Not that Portland doesn't have a lot of vegan options everywhere, but there aren't very many vegan restaurants (exclusively) because it's a smaller city (despite a slightly larger per capita vegan population), and the vegan restaurants they do have are... eh, not the best I'm sorry to say (not that they don't have some good stuff here and there).

Seattle has a larger population to draw from, and more all around foodie culture to produce some good vegan restaurants- particularly in the University district, where there's a huge student vegan population, and non-vegans willing to eat vegan sometimes.  It's stuff you don't find most places.

LA has a lot of vegan restaurants, but a lot of them use cheese and some use meat- they're more targeting omnivores who are jumping on the vegan trend wagon.  Lots of fake stuff and junk food, and meat contamination (which the omnivores don't care about, and that's both most of the business, and most of the staff and ownership). That is not to say that there aren't some great vegan restaurants tucked away here and there in LA, just going by the majority, it's not a good hot spot for good vegan food (though it's easy to find vegan options anywhere; just don't expect to be blown away with culinary innovation).

NY, I don't know as well; NY is huge, you'll find anything you're looking for there (if you're patient)... but it's not known as a vegan friendly city in particular (compared to the West coast) in a per-capita sense.  I mean, it has more than ten times the population of Seattle, and only about ties for vegetarian restaurants.  It's just big enough to find anything (or sustain any niche).  So, that much population is kind of cheating. ^_^

Of course, your mileage may vary.  I could have just gotten really lucky in some places, and had really bad luck in others :)

hmm well if you say seattle is better then that works better for me anyway as its closer. I totally want to do a vegan road trip this summer and go explore what different places have to offer. A vegan life style is so fun!. you cant just rely on mainstream restaurants. gotta explore and research.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page