Fun things to do in Vancouver? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Ièm heading over to Vancouver in a few days and I was wondering what some of the attractions are I donèt have alot of money so Ièm not looking for $300 helicopter tours. Just parts of town with some cool buildings, cool scenery, must see Vancouver attractions. Iève already got Karmavore on the places I need to see, so what else can I do to fill my day? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Karmavore is a great choice! You'll really enjoy that.

Science World (or The Telus World of Science as they're insisting on calling it now) is an iconic must-see Vancouver attraction. Tickets to get in aren't too much and it's so fun! Lots of strange things to do and look at.

Also if the weather is nice I really recommend Stanley Park, it's gorgeous and HUGE. You could literally spend days looking around and there would still be more to see. Also English Bay is right beside Stanley Park, it's a beautiful beach. Not only is sightseeing in this area a great way to spend a day it's also FREE, and you can't beat free.

There are sight seeing tours and stuff too but I wouldn't recommend them, it's a waste of money when you can just explore on your own.

And there's a fun lookout at Harbour Centre downtown, I don't remember how much it costs but I don't think it's ridiculously expensive and the view is really fantastic, you can see everything. http://www.vancouverattractions.com/...php?page_id=11

Also, I posted this blog thing in another thread, it's a detailed overview of the best veg*n restaurants in Vancouver: http://vegansaurus.com/post/35661495...n-in-vancouver

That last one is what I would suggest most strongly I think, EAT GREAT FOOD! We have a mind boggling amount of vegetarian restaurants and stores here and I haven't even been to a quarter of them yet. If you have limited spending money that's probably the best place to focus it, you can wander around and be a tourist for very cheap.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the reply Iève got some spending money for Karmavore and some more for parking as Im sure its alot like Toronto Stanley park looks great, Ièll have to stop there. And a vegan bakery would be something else Im looking for. Havenèt had any cookies since last year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I go to Vancouver every few months, I usually shop there.
I went to the Botanical Gardens last August, if you can go there, it's pretty cool.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#5 Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Ièll stop there too Just looking to fill up a day and a half or so. Is everywhere paid parking or do most places have their own parking attached?
#6 Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Thanks for the reply Iève got some spending money for Karmavore and some more for parking as Im sure its alot like Toronto Stanley park looks great, Ièll have to stop there. And a vegan bakery would be something else Im looking for. Havenèt had any cookies since last year

Oh my, that's a long time without cookies!

Karmavore definitely has amazing vegan baked goods, but there are a variety of other places that have them as well. Any of the organic grocery stores like Whole Foods/Capers/Choices would have a selection too, Whole Foods in particular has amazing chocolate cake I love.

What sucks is that Edible Flours, the first all vegan bakery in Van, is opening up soon but I think you'll just miss them. However there is "My Local Cafe" they have a variety of vegan/vegetarian/celiac friendly baked goods that are super tasty. Hope that helps, have fun!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Next time I go to Vancouver, (probably in the summer) I'll try to convince my parents to let me go to some veg*n places.
My family needs to try some veggie food

#8 Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Oh my, that's a long time without cookies!

Karmavore definitely has amazing vegan baked goods, but there are a variety of other places that have them as well. Any of the organic grocery stores like Whole Foods/Capers/Choices would have a selection too, Whole Foods in particular has amazing chocolate cake I love.

What sucks is that Edible Flours, the first all vegan bakery in Van, is opening up soon but I think you'll just miss them. However there is "My Local Cafe" they have a variety of vegan/vegetarian/celiac friendly baked goods that are super tasty. Hope that helps, have fun!

Lol. Karmavore looks like it has some goodies, but the food seems so overpriced. They had a rice white chocolate bar for $5. Thatèll get me almost 100km in my civic trying to search all these places out on google and see where to go. Wish I still had my Android so I could do that on the go..
#9 Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Lol. Karmavore looks like it has some goodies, but the food seems so overpriced. They had a rice white chocolate bar for $5. Thatèll get me almost 100km in my civic trying to search all these places out on google and see where to go. Wish I still had my Android so I could do that on the go..

Yeaaaaah, unfortunately specialty food IS expensive, there's no getting around that. They have to ship all this stuff from all over or buy fancy vegan ingredients for the things they make themselves so it's gonna cost more. I think the only cheap vegan baked goods you're going to find are ones you make yourself at home, and where's the fun in doing all the work yourself?

I don't have a lot of money either, but when I splurge on a Karmavore trip I just get a smaller amount of tasty treats.

#10 Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Next time I go to Vancouver, (probably in the summer) I'll try to convince my parents to let me go to some veg*n places.
My family needs to try some veggie food

Good, you can try and convince my parents too

Quote:

Yeaaaaah, unfortunately specialty food IS expensive, there's no getting around that. They have to ship all this stuff from all over or buy fancy vegan ingredients for the things they make themselves so it's gonna cost more. I think the only cheap vegan baked goods you're going to find are ones you make yourself at home, and where's the fun in doing all the work yourself?

I don't have a lot of money either, but when I splurge on a Karmavore trip I just get a smaller amount of tasty treats.

Lol Ièll have to do the same. Looking at their running shoes since nobody over here has any idea what goes into making them. Need a new wallet aswell.
#11 Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Good, you can try and convince my parents too

Lol Ièll have to do the same. Looking at their running shoes since nobody over here has any idea what goes into making them. Need a new wallet aswell.

They have great shoes! Also Nice Shoes on Fraser is fantastic and they have wallets. Be warned though, that's another area where you can't avoid expensiveness

I just bought an amazing pair of boots from Nice Shoes yesterday actually, they're gorgeous but it made my wallet BURN. I didn't see too many shoes there that were under 100 bucks

That's just the tragedy of being vegan in Vancouver. It's ALREADY the most expensive city in Canada with the lowest minimum wage and then throw in being vegan and wanting fancy vegan things too and yeah...

You can have a very cheap trip here if you wander around and look at things and visit the park and don't buy much, just pick what you're going to splurge on carefully and you'll have a great time

#12 Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They have great shoes! Also Nice Shoes on Fraser is fantastic and they have wallets. Be warned though, that's another area where you can't avoid expensiveness

I just bought an amazing pair of boots from Nice Shoes yesterday actually, they're gorgeous but it made my wallet BURN. I didn't see too many shoes there that were under 100 bucks

That's just the tragedy of being vegan in Vancouver. It's ALREADY the most expensive city in Canada with the lowest minimum wage and then throw in being vegan and wanting fancy vegan things too and yeah...

You can have a very cheap trip here if you wander around and look at things and visit the park and don't buy much, just pick what you're going to splurge on carefully and you'll have a great time

Alright. So 1 pair of shoes, 1 wallet, and 2 cookies... Shouldnèt set me back anymore than a few hundred dollars, right? Lol. Even the hotels are expensive. Theres places in Niagara for less than $100 night. Should be a fun trip, though. Iève been wanting to hit up Karmavore ever since I lived in Ontario. Thanks for the help
#13 Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Beginner

Why hasn't eating at "The Naam" or doing "The Grouse Grind" been mentioned? Both are essential healthy vegan activities to do.
#14 Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

Why hasn't eating at "The Naam" or doing "The Grouse Grind" been mentioned? Both are essential healthy vegan activities to do.

The Naam was mentioned in a big list of restaurants I posted, but good call on the Grind! I'm planning on doing that this summer, although just looking at pictures makes my legs feel tired...

#15 Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone mentioned the Grouse Grind in Stanley Park, actually Went over to that beaver pond and hiked in circles a good 4 or 5 times Easy to get turned around in there. I tried finding Karmavore, but aside from telling me to go the wrong way down a one way street , my GPS also also told me I arrived at my destination in a not so pleasant part of town. But just to be sure I didn't miss it I got out to check anyhow...

Is New Westminister separate from Vancouver? Or would it be Columbia street, New Westminister? Same with the traffic lights. I thought flashing green meant you got the advance. Guess not. Ticked off alot of people today
#16 Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

And hotels.com got me a great place $108 a night pretty well right next door to Stanley park. 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room.... Pretty nice
#17 Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Someone mentioned the Grouse Grind in Stanley Park, actually Went over to that beaver pond and hiked in circles a good 4 or 5 times Easy to get turned around in there. I tried finding Karmavore, but aside from telling me to go the wrong way down a one way street , my GPS also also told me I arrived at my destination in a not so pleasant part of town. But just to be sure I didn't miss it I got out to check anyhow...

Is New Westminister separate from Vancouver? Or would it be Columbia street, New Westminister? Same with the traffic lights. I thought flashing green meant you got the advance. Guess not. Ticked off alot of people today

New Westminster is technically its own city just outside of Vancouver. I just take the skytrain to Colombia station, I'm not sure how you'd get there driving though.

Maybe this map would help? http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=karmavo...N&hl=en&tab=wl

#18 Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to take a look on the GPS and just tell it to go to a point on the map. Stupid thing. I swear it's just acting up because I haven't bought the new maps for it I've been wanting to go to Karmavore for a long time, if it means scouring the streets looking for it, that's what I'll do
#19 Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyhow, I'm gonna get some walking in before it gets dark out. Thanks
#20 Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

The Naam is a dirty dump with gross 'food' and Grouse Grind is closed until the snow goes-which will be a while yet.
#21 Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The Naam seems excellently well advertised. I'll give it a go.

That said, I love cooking so I don't really feel a need for restaurant food.
#22 Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM

This thread makes me RIDICULOUSLY excited to get to Vancouver! I'll be sure to check out as many veg*n eating places as possible!
#23 Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm probably going to the Gay Pride Parade in late July.
Anyone want to meet up there?
Then I could be like to my sister "HA! I TOLD YOU THEY WEREN'T FAKE!"

#24 Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I, too, would be up for a Vancouver meetup - should I initiate such a plan!?
#25 Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 AM

I think it'd be coooooooool! Especially as I don't really know anyone in vancouver haha
#26 Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I highly enjoyed the Naam in Vancouver, I'd be up for a meetup there. Although, I thought I heard some grumblings about the place on VB. I'm hardly qualified to give a suggestion on a city I've only lived in for ONE MONTH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page