Ontario - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2003, 01:18 PM

Hi fellow Ontarians,

How has SARS affected your life? My mom broke her hip and was in the hospital and couldn't have any visitors. It was an awful two weeks. Very scary when someone needs you and you can't be there. Now we've got West Nile Virus to deal with this summer. I'm not too worried about that - I just won't spend time outside when mosquitoes are out.
#3 Old 05-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a medical clinic in Ottawa and we have big signs on the doors telling patients if they have any of the symptoms to go to the emergency. For the first week or so everyone was panicked, including the doctors. Things have relaxed a lot. I feel really bad for those in the hospital (nonSars) and their families. A friend of a friend had a baby and no one could go visit except the father. How depressing! I'm not too worried about West Nile right now either.

Where abouts in Ontario are you from Wendy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2003, 07:34 PM

Hi AuroraLily,

I'm from Windsor. Where are you from?
#5 Old 05-11-2003, 07:35 PM

Duh! I just re-read your post and realized you said you work at a medical clinic in OTTAWA!
#6 Old 05-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Wendy,

How long have you been veg*n? Do you find Windsor to be a veg*n friendly town?
#7 Old 05-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

the SARS thing hasn't affected us too much here, the ER was closed to non life threatening emergencies for a few days but everything seems to be fine now. west nile scares me way more than SARS, and i live by a river which is heavily populated by birds and the water is very polluted with goose poo so it's perfect mosquito breeding grounds. i took a walk along the river a couple weeks ago and found a dead crow on the shore, so i called and reported it to the health unit which is what i heard we're supposed to do. i've seen a few squiters already this year

i'm in Stratford by the way but originally from North Bay

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 05-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Stratford is a beautiful town Lady Faile. I've never been to North Bay though.

I guess the West Nile is closer and scarier than I had thought. It's too bad you won't be able to enjoy your river as much as before.
#9 Old 05-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I live in Guelph...SARS has been a pain because I've had to take three different people to emergency during and I can never go in with them. My brother had a concussion and they let him go outside wandering around and never even called us to pick him up...I was a little upset about that.

I live in Guelph...it is pretty vegan friendly...although I get jealous of all the vegan stuff they have in the US that is not available here. Stratford is pretty close...and I know Ottawa has fantastic vegan restaurants.
#10 Old 05-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi fellow Ontarians.. (not sure if that's a real word or not)

SARS really hasn't affected me. There's a good article that PETA wrote about the causes of SARS. http://www.peta.org/feat/sars/
#11 Old 05-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

About the only things I've seen concerning SARS have been on the news, the internet or a big sign outside the doors of a rest home near where I live.

I live in Owen Sound. I know LadyFaile has heard of it but for those who haven't it's a small city about 2 hours north of Toronto and located at the base of the Bruce Peninsula along the Niagara Escarpment.
#12 Old 05-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations Saborm on your engagement!! I'm excited for you.

Portabella, I know what you mean about being jealous about not being able to have products that the US does. I have hope that it will all come here because every time I go the grocery store there are new products. I just have to keep pushing the grocery manager to keep ordering them!! Ottawa is pretty veg*n friendly with some great buffet restaurants. I'd love to join a vegetarian society group though.
#13 Old 05-12-2003, 08:03 PM

Hi AuroraLily,

I've been veg*an for just over a year. Windsor is not a veg*an friendly town at all. There was a big article in the paper the other day with a picture of a guy holding a disgusting, huge hamburger they sell at a local restaurant for $47.99. It accomainied an article about how Windsor is one of the largest meat eating cities in Canada. PETA is starting a campaign to send postcards to several cities, including Windsor, encouraging restaurants to offer more veggie food choices on their menus. I'm all for that!
#14 Old 05-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Wendy,

That's disgusting about the meat!!! Ottawa is not bad at all. Most restaurants have something. You can usually get enough sides dishes to make a meal (salads, fresh veggies, rice, potatoes etc) My family is pretty good now and will ask me if there's something I can eat if we are thinking about a particular restaurant. I'm still pretty new to this vegetarian lifestyle as I only started in January but I'd never go back now.
#15 Old 05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

i've been to Ottawa a couple of times but for some reason the only food i remember having while i was there is beaver tails. yummm!

~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 05-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Actually, I can always find something to eat when I go to a restaurant. Although I don't eat eggs (except in baking, occasionally) and I try not to eat too much cheese (too much fat!) I'm not vegan and that makes it easier.
#17 Old 05-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Beaver tails are awesome! Yum!
#18 Old 05-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

what i really miss are the funnel cakes from Canada's Wonderland. if we end up going on Sunday like planned they'll be hard to resist. though hopefully there'll be a real long line to disuade me.

i find it hard to eat there, thankfully there are quite a few Mr. Sub stands where i can just get a plain veggie sub. but i think this time around we might pack some food from home and just go eat in the car

~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 05-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of a vegan margarine? I found a few recipes in How It All Vegan, and they call for margarine. I'm in SW Ontario and can't seem to find anything.
#20 Old 05-14-2003, 07:14 PM

At the risk of sounding stupid - what are beaver tails?
#21 Old 05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a stupid question. It's an Ottawa favourite that's part of Winterlude (big winter festival) It's dough that deep fried and then it's topped with different toppings. My favourite is a Killaloe sunrise that has lemon juice, sugar and cinamon. SOme of the other toppings are jam, chocholate hazelnut spread and I believe there's even a garlic and cheese one. Yum. It's a tradition. If you are ever in Ottawa there's a beaver tail stand in the Market.
#22 Old 05-15-2003, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by skarrlett

Does anyone know of a vegan margarine? I found a few recipes in How It All Vegan, and they call for margarine. I'm in SW Ontario and can't seem to find anything.

Can't help you much there. I've heard of Earth Balance and Spectrum and Willow Run but I've never actually seen a vegan margarine where I am. I thought I'd found one in Fleischmann's but it turns out that their source of vitamin D is animal.
#23 Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 PM

my sister is a germaphobe and the whole SARS epidemic is freaking her out. i think there's more of a chance i'll fall down the stairs, roll out the door and get hit by lightning. no fear here. i'm not even worried about west nile. i'm worried about all the looks of horror i'll be getting when i allow the mosquitos to have my blood. i'm a freak.

i have a friend who lived in Windsor. i soooo feel for you.

i'm the luckiest girl 'cause i have xin vego - an almost vegan chinese restaurant in niagara falls. they make the best mock chicken balls. mmmmmm..... with sweet and sour sauce! i'll be there tomorrow in fact. it'll be baby's first time. can't wait!!
#24 Old 05-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Its great to see that there are other people here from Ontario. I currently live in Kingston, though I moved here for university purposes about five years ago. Once my fi is done her schooling, we plan to move.

With regards to SARS, I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. While I think this mass hysteria is unfounded, it is proving to be helpful in certain ways. I had to go to emergency at the hospital in my parents town the other day. Normally you would have to wait at least 3 hours before you would be looked after (assuming your problem wasnt life threatening). Despite the fact that there have been no cases, or even suspected cases of SARS in that town, the emerge was empty. Quite literally empty. I was the only one there. I was seen right away, and was out of the hospital about 40 minutes after I entered. That included waiting for test results and speaking to the doctor.

Last week I went to the walk-in clinic that I usually visit. The wait there is usually 40+ minutes, but when I got in, the place was empty, and the only doctor there was at the front desk with nothing to do.

SARS has also been personal for me. One of my relatives is a nurse who was looking after the very first person in Canada who died from SARS. She ended up contracting SARS herself, though I am happy to say that she is recovering quite well.
#25 Old 05-15-2003, 08:29 PM

I'm glad your relative is getting better. She has my greatest respect. I consider the health care workers true heroes. They were on the frontlines of the SARS scare and risked their own health to treat others.
#26 Old 05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I second that Wendy. Thank goodness for all the dedication of the health care workers.
#27 Old 05-18-2003, 07:28 AM

I wish I had something to say here, right now; maybe I'll goto sleep now instead.OOOOOPS TOOO LATE!!!!!!!!
#28 Old 05-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Where in Ontario are you ffrom Vegan_Cannibal?
#29 Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 AM

I'm in NorthWestern Ontario- Thunder Bay-and it's it cold today I think it's only 6 dgrees right now-
#30 Old 05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

It's been an awesome long weekend in Ottawa, around 22 degrees and sunny. Great weather for the Tulip Festival.

Is Thunder Bay veg*n friendly Vegan_Cannibal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page