Ontario - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#241 Old 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

herb can you actually go in like do they have a store for the public there? i've passed by the farm a zillion times but have never stopped cause i thought it was just where they grow the plants and make the products.

Yes! I went there last spring their store is in a large barn, just down the main driveway. I'm not sure when they are open, I went there on a Sunday afternoon I believe. Their goods are amazing, you should make a point of checking it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 01-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

wow a lot of you from southwestern area lately, i'm in Stratford

but originally from North Bay

Neat, Stratford is probably the closest to me that I've seen.
#243 Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlett View Post

Does anyone know of a vegan margarine? I found a few recipes in How It All Vegan, and they call for margarine. I'm in SW Ontario and can't seem to find anything.

Fleishmanns. I am not 100% sure of the spelling, but it is all vegan. I live in southern Ontario, so I am sure that you will be able to find it in your area!

love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#244 Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

i've had no problems getting Earth Balance margarine from the health food stores here and in North Bay. it's expensive but good.

but yeah there's one kind of fleischman's i've used that was ok, it was 2 teeny tubs in a cardboard package, and i think it was the "light" one. i decided for the cost and the amount it was probably a better deal to buy the expensive earth balance plus i like it better.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#245 Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

hey just wanted to let you guys know we are doing a PETA protest against fur next Thursday 20th downtown Toronto.Please pm me for details if you wish you join us!
#246 Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Ontarians! I'll be in London in a few weeks time, just for the day, visiting my mother in the hospital. I checked online and found a restaurant called Maggie's on King St. that offers a vegan menu. Does anyone know if this place is still around? I can't find a date on the website so it might be really old. If you've eaten there, let me know what you thought and if it's closed, can you suggest another place for my sister and I to eat before we drive back to Windsor that night? I'd really like a veg*n restaurant so I can actually 'decide' what to order instead of being relegated to just two choices, usually a salad and veggie burger.

Thanks
#247 Old 01-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Bumble, wish I could be there. I'll let my friends in Toronto know about it.

Mollycat, I'll ask my friends who live in London about restaurants next time I talk to them.

I have friends all over S. Ontario!!!!!!!
#248 Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, Danny. I'd appreciate it. I'll be in London on the 24th of January. Hoping it's a lot warmer than it is here in Regina. Supposed to get another blizzard today. YUCK!
#249 Old 01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Mollycat:

plastic_being, Blitzkrieg Bop! - says:

ummmmm

- plastic_being, Blitzkrieg Bop! - says:

i know theres one

but i forget the name

they have like vegan pancakes and ****

i just go whereever and get what i can

prince al's on richmond/albert is nice

its like a little dinner

they have vegetarian stuffs

cool environment

sorry I couldn't be more help.
#250 Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Make the time to stop off in Toronto, there's a great selection of places to get veg food as well as solely veg restaurants.
#251 Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks newstars but it isn't a pleasure trip. I'll be in Windsor and my sister and I will be driving up to London to see my mom in the hospital. I'll be in Toronto in the summer to visit a friend and I'll check out the great veggie places then.
#252 Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTanner View Post

Mollycat:

plastic_being, Blitzkrieg Bop! - says:

ummmmm

i know theres one

but i forget the name

they have like vegan pancakes and ****

i just go whereever and get what i can

prince al's on richmond/albert is nice

its like a little dinner

they have vegetarian stuffs

cool environment

sorry I couldn't be more help.

LOL! After deciphering the above post, I actually think the diner place is the one I'm thinking about. They have vegan crepes. Thanks for you hard work!!
#253 Old 01-13-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCat View Post

Hey Ontarians! I'll be in London in a few weeks time, just for the day, visiting my mother in the hospital. I checked online and found a restaurant called Maggie's on King St. that offers a vegan menu. Does anyone know if this place is still around? I can't find a date on the website so it might be really old. If you've eaten there, let me know what you thought and if it's closed, can you suggest another place for my sister and I to eat before we drive back to Windsor that night? I'd really like a veg*n restaurant so I can actually 'decide' what to order instead of being relegated to just two choices, usually a salad and veggie burger.

Thanks

Hey there -- Londoner here!

Yup -- Maggie's exists! I haven't been, but they do advertise a vegan menu (they are NOT strictly a Vegan restaurant though). "Maggie's, 145 King St., 519-679-6244" It is right downtown, across from Covent Garden Market.

I do hope your mother is okay. What Hospital is she in? Regardless, I can tell you she is in great care -- London Hospitals are TOP NOTCH!

Also, there are lots of East Indian and Thai places with veg*n choices. Do let me know if you need any directions getting anywhere while you are in London.

Good luck.

taz
#254 Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Taz!

Thanks for the post.

My mother is at a psychiatric geriatric hospital, I believe called St. Jopeph's. She's a permanent resident there and I come back to Ontario once every few months to visit her and my family in Windsor. I had to move out to Regina last year for my job.

Thanks for letting me know about Maggie's. I know where Covent Garden Market is. I went to Fanshawe years ago so I'll be sure to post a review.

My sister and I usually stop at this grungy little diner on Dundas that has the very best french fries but I'm trying to watch what I eat in the new year so fries are out!!

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.
#255 Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 AM

Glad to provide some info, MollyCat. I work downtown and need to go to the Market today at lunch, so I will try to pop into Maggie's to check out the menu for you. I'll post what I find out!
#256 Old 01-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Well, look what I found....

http://www.maggies.ca/

and...

http://www.maggies.ca/MenuA.html

Hope this helps! Now, I am hungry! Must... go... get... FOOD.... hmmmm.. Maybe it's time to try Maggie's!

I just had the Baked Vegetarian sandwich ($7.99). It was very tasty with wonderful fresh ingredients (very heavy on the garlic though -- which my poor partner will regret! ). I chose to have mine on a pita (rolled in the pita); choices were: pita, bread, bun, toast, bagel. It was rather messy on the pita as it was rolled but the ends were opened!

They have an entire section of the menu designated to Veg*n. Prices seemed a little high, but compared to other restaurants in London in the "same category" (casual-fine), I'd say the prices were fair. It's certainly no dive! The restaurant had a "spanish cafe" feel to it (not that I have ever been to a spanish cafe, but I "felt" that was what they were going after! ). It was a very comfortable environment.

Would I recommend them? Yes

Would I go again? Yes

Would I go often? Probably not -- I don't eat out a lot due to funds or lack thereof! :-)
#257 Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 AM

Hey Everyone!

I live in Toronto

Can anyone contact me via e-mail ([email protected]) or msn or Private messaging if you live close by?

Thanks!
#258 Old 01-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivorous View Post

Fleishmanns. I am not 100% sure of the spelling, but it is all vegan. I live in southern Ontario, so I am sure that you will be able to find it in your area!

love

It's actually almost vegan it's just the D3 that's not.
#259 Old 01-15-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

Make the time to stop off in Toronto, there's a great selection of places to get veg food as well as solely veg restaurants.

It is so very very true. Pm me if you would like a list of places.

I love vegan restaurants!

xoxo
#260 Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Tazlah, thanks a lot for the information! I've lived in London for a year now, and the one vegetarian/vegan restaurant I'd managed to find (via UWO's newspaper) ended up being closed down. I can't wait to give Maggie's a try.
#261 Old 01-27-2005, 09:26 AM

hey people, I'm joining you from toronto, I'm new, so hi.
#262 Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey fellow Ontarians! The Candain Seal Hunt is set to begin again this spring.Please think of protesting,letter writing or donating to www.seashephard.org who will be carrying out direct action against these brutal murders, that number in the hundreds and hundreds of Thousands each Spring

Last year it took them only 48 hours to slaughter over 350,000 harp and hooded seals.

Please pm me for more protest info/details.
#263 Old 01-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.seashepherd.org/

I made a typo.Here is the correct web site.
#264 Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Beginner

does anyone know if there are any clothing stores in Toronto that sell those cute vegetarian shirts (exp. "I Love Tofu"), or clothing/bags w/ messages concerning animal rights?

thanks.
#265 Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_E_M View Post

does anyone know if there are any clothing stores in Toronto that sell those cute vegetarian shirts (exp. "I Love Tofu"), or clothing/bags w/ messages concerning animal rights?

thanks.

Check out my website! www.newstarsclothing.com

We're in Toronto, but we don't have a store. As for our "I Love Tofu" shirts, we're really low on stock. So let me know what you want via PM and i'll let you know if we have it. Plus i'll hook you up with a VB member discount.

I hope i don't get in trouble for advertising. But we do sell "I Love Tofu" shirts.
#266 Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Beginner

awesome! thanks newstars! i guess that means your prices are all in canadian funds then eh? hope so! that would just make my day!

i'll be sure to check it out. and i'm looking at doing some online shopping in a couple weeks (pay day!), so i'll be sure to check it out.
#267 Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey people! Just want to remind you all that there will be a huge rally-protest at Young/Dundas March 15th to protest the Seal Hunt~Please pm me for details.I really HOPE you'll come out !!There will be music!!
#268 Old 02-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post

Hey people! Just want to remind you all that there will be a huge rally-protest at Young/Dundas March 15th to protest the Seal Hunt~Please pm me for details.I really HOPE you'll come out !!There will be music!!

I really want to go to this but I have to work....
#269 Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

By the way, hi everyone. Chris from Toronto here. Nice to meetcha!
#270 Old 03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i went to Maggie's in september for my birthday, it was excellent. they have omni vegetarian and vegan options. which works out cause my bf is omni, and doesn't like to try all my "wierd" vegan stuff lol so i didn't want to drag him somewhere totally veg. i had the italian eggplant relish and it was verrrrrrry good. and the prices aren't too bad considering the portions are decent. like not enormous but a good size. i didn't finish all mine. it comes with greens and big tomato chunks and even some berries on the side. and free appetizer (vegan)

the coffee was even pretty good. i recommend it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page