Ontario - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Good old May flies! Ive got some pictures I took of a dragonfly coming out of its water shell, around here somewhere. Ill see if I can find them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

that website is from my home town of North Bay. the shads are so awful there. every year like clockwork. one day you'll wake up and look out the window and the buildings and roads will be black with shadflies. and all you can do is shrug and say "shadfly season's here"

it's when they all start to die and the city stinks like rotting fish that it gets nasty.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#63 Old 06-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

hey i just heard it's supposed to be 32-34 C all week! wowee! and humid as heck no doubt. everyone make sure to keep hydrated k?

~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

woo hoo.. it's about time. I'm happy I work in an air conditioned office... except they seem to have the heat on today for some unknown reason.

#65 Old 06-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Not good for me. I work in a factory and the only air cooling we have are fans and at 32-34 they just don't cool the air at all. I'm going to fry this week.
#66 Old 06-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a good time to become best friends with anyone who has a pool!
#67 Old 07-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

it's like living in someone's armpit, this humidity is awful.

i walk to work and back, about 20-25 minutes each way, by the time i get to work i feel like i need another shower already, by the time i get home i feel like i bathed in filth all day.

gross.

and of course, working in a clothing store, we're supposed to wear the product we sell which means layering. we're always supposed to layer. i have to wear a long sleeved sweatshirt all day at work. good thing the mall is air conditioned but it's still wrong. wrong wrong wrong. i wear it open with a tank under it so i carry the sweatshirt there and put it on when i start my shift so it's not too bad but i sure feel dumb carrying a sweatshirt around in this weather

it's ok, we're gonna have a storm i think cause my ankles are aching like you wouldn't believe. that should help the humidity i hope

~Miyavi "Torture"
#68 Old 07-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Time to revive this thread. Does anyone order things on line that they can't get at the stores around them? I read about the products discussed here and feel envious that we dont' have them around here.
#69 Old 07-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't yet but I'm planning on ordering some cosmetics soon.
#70 Old 07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

<whine> It's tooooo hooooooot! </whine>

I love central air more than I love chocolate, right now.
#71 Old 07-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

Does anyone order things on line that they can't get at the stores around them?

I've ordered a number of things from http://www.pangeaveg.com/ and http://veganmercantile.com/

I can get most of my stuff at Loblaws/Zehr's but I just bought some sunscreen and bug spray from Vegan Mercantile.

Pangea is pretty good and they've got a wide selection of food items that you can order.

I highly recommend both of them.
#72 Old 08-03-2003, 09:27 PM

i just purchased Butter Not! from vegan essentials. i give it a two thumbs up. Hubby and baby seem to enjoy it, which leaves me happy, happy, happy. not overly impressed with its consistency. will not add as much water to pouch #2.
#73 Old 08-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't around when most the rest of this thread was happening....

I just wanted to say that I too am in Ottawa, and that I am friends with the people who own the Green Door Restaurant. One of my best friend's father owns it, and my friend is working there full time. They are considering expanding and opening another location (but shhhh!)

But the industry I work in isn't what you'd call veg*n friendly..... fortunately it isn't something I have to encounter too often!
#74 Old 08-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

RE ordering vegan items:

any of you hear of the Heritage Festival up in North Bay every August long weekend?

anyway there are always tons of tents there where all kinds of merchants set up for the weekend, you can buy all kinds of cool crap at low prices during the festival.

this year there was a tent with hemp products, and he was sharing the tent with another merchant selling wiccan and pagan items, books and necklaces, that sort of thing, and also doing tarot readings. neato!

anyway both of them are from Sudbury and both gave me their cards with phone number etc. the pagan woman has a website but the hemp guy is still setting his up. he said though that i can call and order anything i want and he'll ship it. his prices really are the best! my mom bought me a pair of shoes there, i think they were 40 bucks. and a hempola lip balm for $2 which is normally like 4 or 5 at the health food store.

the hemp sandals they had there are the most hippy-ish looking things i've ever seen! very cool! my size was sold out though so i bought brown clog style shoes. the soles are partially recycled rubber and the upper is all hemp. they don't look wierd and hippy-ish though, they just look like brown canvas shoes.

i'll see if i can get the webcam working and take a pic. if anyone wants the phone number for either store pm me, i don't feel right posting it for all the world to see, but i'll dig out the pagan woman's website addy and post it later

~Miyavi "Torture"
#75 Old 08-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to that festival a couple of years ago. Watched the strong man competition.

That's pretty cool that they were set up there.
#76 Old 08-17-2003, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Meatless: I'm so happy there's someone else here from Ottawa. That's awesome about the Green Door. I love it!!!! I'd like one out here in Barrhavan. What end of town are you in?
#77 Old 08-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I am along Bank street close to Billings Bridge.

They are soooo detailed at the Green Door.... they soak their own beans, make everything from scratch.... the owner himself grows most of the garlic they use out in Perth.... he is a bit of a control freak (in a good way) and I don't think he can imagine that the detailedness can be replicated very easily. If they start a new one, his son (my friend) will likely take it over.

I was in Barrhaven just last weekend, and went to Winners.
#78 Old 08-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I live just down the road from the Winners! I work at the medical clinic close to Billings Bridge! Very cool. What do you do?

i have the recipe book from the Green Door. I'm very impressed the owner does so much himself. It shows it the quality and the taste of the food.
#79 Old 08-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

The one at Kilborn?

I am the editor/primary writer for a couple of construction industry publications. I just started the job a few months ago when I finished my journalism degree at Carleton. I work from home, so it lets me spend a lot of time with my little cats.

Ron (Green Door owner) is fascinating. I did a story for my magazine class about him. He is very environmentally aware, and detests waste. Most people could learn a lot from him.
#80 Old 08-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, the one Kilborn. I'm at Carleton as well, doing a my Masters in psych. How many cats do you have? I have two: Sam and Nina. They are my babies. Such personalities they have.
#81 Old 08-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I am going to take a couple of credits this year so that I can apply to do an MA in History down the road... my fiance works at Carleton so I could get free tuition. However, he only began working there two days before my last exam, so I didn't get anything for free on my degree! Did you do your undergrad at Carleton too? I see in your profile you're born in 1978.... I am a 79er but I took a year off before coming here to make money working as a cook at Denny's (barf!)

I *now* have three cats. We have had my beautiful girl Pesto for 3 years, my little boy Mooey for just over a year and a half, and we just adopted another kitten on Friday. He doesn't have a name yet. He is currently in isolation until his vet check on Tuesday... and if he doesn't get a clean bill of health he will stay in isolation until he is better. They are all shelter cats. They are the joy of my life.
#82 Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Free tuition is cool. I did my undergrad at Carleton. I like it there. I've lived in Ottawa my whole life, just moving from one end of the city to the other.

Your cats sound adorable. I hope the kitten is healthy. My cat Sam is about 18 months. The story of how he came to us is kind of cute. My husband heard a little scratching at the door of our apartment. He opened the door and found this little orange kitten. He went up and down the hall to find out who it belonged to. The woman a couple of doors down said it was hers. Her friend got it for her but her boyfriend didn't want it. Her little daughter had opened the door and the cat snuck out. My husband asked her if they were going to keep it. The woman said if my husband wanted it, he could have it. So he took it home. When I got home from work, he surprised me with it! Nina, the other cat is from the humane society. She was quite sick when we got her but we nursed her back to health and she is a wonderful pet.

Are there any restaurants in Ottawa, besides the Green Door that you really like?
#83 Old 08-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't really liked Ottawa most of my time here. Long story, but getting my BJ was a long and hard road, and we were pretty broke most of the time. I am not originally from a city, so it was a huge adjustment. People are a lot ruder in the city, I find.

It is always best when the kittens find you. Pesty and Mooey left us with no option but to take them home. The new guy didn't speak to us quite as much, but he is younger than they were.

I don't actually go to the Green Door a whole lot (but my friend keeps telling me to go for free food!) My favorite place is Gabriel Pizza.... I absolutely LOVE their pizza, and their fetuccine alfredo. We haven't been too many places though, since up until 3.5 months ago money was scarce. My fiance had zero job security, and I was a broke student. Now he works at Carleton, as I mentioned, and I am making decent money too! Do you have any places you like? I am going to make my first charitable donation soon, to "Friends of Abandoned Pets." I have some money at long last, so I want to help animals.
#84 Old 08-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you haven't liked Ottawa so far. People can definitely be rude. Where are you originally from?

If I knew people who owned the Green Door, I'd be there for every meal! Gabriel's Pizza is the best. Nothing quite compares. I'll have to try their fetuccine alfredo. I love trying new foods. A couple of months ago, I tried ethiopian food at a place on Rideau street. It was really food and very cheap. There's a really good Thai place on Dalhousie street and a place on Booth st has really good but cheap Vietnamese food.

I understand what it's like to be a broke student. My husband works full-time now but we're saving up for a house.

I think the charity of "Friends to abondned Pets" does great work. If I could, I'd have a house full of of abandoned animals! My heart is just too big sometimes!
#85 Old 08-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I am originally from about 20 minutes north of Belleville. I didn't even live in a village or hamlet, let alone a city. Belleville is the kind of place where at 4-way stops, everyone tries to wave everyone else to go first. Here, regardless of whose turn it is everyone just tries to ramrod through. Things like that drive me crazy. One day, I took a walk for about 4 blocks, from my apartment to the Local Heroes restaurant to meet someone, and I was almost hit by cars four times, at crosswalks and when I had a walk signal! I am always shocked when anyone says please or thank you. But enough of my rant.....

I was raised by someone who did not cook for me past the age of 10, so I never developed a taste for a lot of different kinds of food. I had never even tried a tomato until a few years ago. And being a 25 minute drive from the nearest grocery store (and didn't get my license until 18) I was pretty much screwed... had to eat only kraft dinner, tomato soup, microwave dinners and hot dogs pretty much. So becoming veg has been a challenge in that regard! I would say that it is quite possible as a teenager that 6 months to a year would go by and I wouldn't have a single serving of fruit/veggie. I am surprised I wasn't sick! Now I have worked myself up to about 6 (or more) servings a day, and I have never felt better.
#86 Old 08-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Belleville is a beautiful town. It must be hard to get use to Ottawa. I would have a hard time if I had to move to Toronto. I'm definitely not a big city girl.

How long ago did you go vegetarian?

I started in January but the desire as been there for awhile. I just didn't know what to substitute for meat. A girl I work with was vegetarian and loaned me all these great books that made it so much easier. I always love trying new things. I'm slowly getting use to the taste and texture of beans as I never had them growing up.

Have you ever been to the Mongolie Grill in Bell's Corners?
#87 Old 08-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I quit red meat/pork like, 6-7 years ago, and then chicken and fish about one year ago. So I guess you could say I have been a "real"vegetarian for a year. My sweetie quietly converted shortly thereafter.

Aside from the people at the Green Door (and my sweetie) I really don't know any other vegetarians. I made the switch because a research project I did on population growth/environment really woke me up to a lot of things. As well, I love animals and I decided I couldn't "categorize" them and pick and choose which ones were "edible" and which ones aren't.

NoI haven't tried the place you mentioned. I am a little bit afraid of most ethnic foods, for the reasons I described about my food upbringing. I don't like not being able to see exactly what I am eating.... hopefully some day I will get past my squeamishness.
#88 Old 08-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband is an omnivore and I don't think that will ever change. We have a good agreement right now and respect each others choices.

I know what you mean about people picking the animals they eat. I know someone who has a cuteness factor for each animal and won't eat the cute ones. I think they are all cute. I'm learning more about the animal rights aspects of vegetarianism. I find I can only learn so much before my heart and mind have a hard time dealing with the suffering. I became a vegetarian mainly for health reasons plus I've never really liked the taste of meat.

It's funny how you say that your upbrinding made you afraid of ethnic food. It was the same way with me. My family is a meat and potato family where you don't eat anything different. It wasn't until university where I met a girl who was shocked I had never eaten any ethnic food. She took me down to Chinatown for Dim Sum and I was hooked. My husband really likes Vietnamese or Thai food. It's a great adventure to try something new.
#89 Old 08-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

What a busy busy day. I feel like I worked my butt off, but accomplished nothing. I will probably keep working until 11pm.

That is too bad that your husband will not convert. Give it time, you never know. I didn't think my sweetie had it in him. He actually really surprised me with it; he converted quietly without even telling me. I was (am) so pleased and proud. Now the thought of hamburger or any meat makes us shudder. It is good that you can live with each other's choices, but in all honestly I can never "respect" the choice to eat meat. Maybe that is terribly judgemental but while I can deal with it, I don't think I could find it in me to respect it.

Did you notice the City of Ottawa had a huge free hamburger bbq at lunch, and then at various locations this evening? I read about it in the Citizen. Sick.

As for food... I won't even eat onions, I'm so picky. I don't know if there is hope for me.
#90 Old 08-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband is making small steps. Right now I'm now more concerned that he eats healthy. I'm really trying to encourage him to eat more fruits and veggies since the only ones he ate before were corn and potatoes. Yes, it would be wonderful and more convenient if he converted. He's a real animal lover too so maybe I'll try to educate him about the animal rights aspect of it. Regardless, he is very supportive of my choice.

I went to dinner with my cousin who's in town from the US last night. We went for Thai food on Dalhousie street. Yummy! I had tofu and veggies in a delicious sauce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page