Ontario - Page 25 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#721 Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

um... when i went to the toronto veg fair there was a stall selling all kindsa that stuff... um.... i haven't got time to look right now, but you could check out their veg directory (and go to the food fair in sept, its very cool!): http://veg.ca/content/view/65/103/ did ya ask the shrimp people? nusually they deal with a wholesaler who has all kindsa stuff- so they could maybe get it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Hello fellow Canadians.....I read a couple pages of this thread but no where close to all of them.

I was wondering if anyone on here is from Kitchener/Waterloo!?
#723 Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm from Burlington which is close to the Kitchener/Waterloo area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#724 Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Neji--Blake-- View Post

I'm from Burlington which is close to the Kitchener/Waterloo area.

My boyfriend is from Hamilton (well Dundas actually....he would be mad if he saw that I put Hamilton haha)! We go to the MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) in Burlington all the time!
#725 Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM

I haven't been there yet but I really want to go! I've almost convinced my mom to take me.

I just read that Burlington is one of the 5 best places to live W00T W00T GO BURLINGTON
#726 Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm close to those areas - I used to live in Waterloo (for school), and currently live near Hamilton/Burlington in the Niagara Region.
#727 Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Hi from England!

Sorry if you guys have already written about this, but I just heard you have a new completely vegan store in TO - Panacea - just wondered if any of you have been there and what it's like?

I have nothing but positive things to say about Panacea. The store is beautiful on the inside, everything is arranged nicely and not cluttered like so many health food stores. I have found that the prices are MUCH cheaper than other health food stores. In fact I have seen the same items, same brand, same packaging for up to $2 more at other stores!

I really enjoy the atmosphere as well. I have met several fantastic people here just chatting about local events in the city. The owners are AMAZING and both animal rights activists. Of course the best part about the store is I don't have to worry about any hidden ingredients on labels. All of the items are Vegan and Organic. The owners are also very receptive to product suggestions. So if there is a product you would normally need to buy online, they will start to sell it in their store and you do not have to pay the pricey shipping and handling costs!

I don't know what I would do without this store
#728 Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinarc2 View Post

I have nothing but positive things to say about Panacea. The store is beautiful on the inside, everything is arranged nicely and not cluttered like so many health food stores. I have found that the prices are MUCH cheaper than other health food stores. In fact I have seen the same items, same brand, same packaging for up to $2 more at other stores!

I really enjoy the atmosphere as well. I have met several fantastic people here just chatting about local events in the city. The owners are AMAZING and both animal rights activists. Of course the best part about the store is I don't have to worry about any hidden ingredients on labels. All of the items are Vegan and Organic. The owners are also very receptive to product suggestions. So if there is a product you would normally need to buy online, they will start to sell it in their store and you do not have to pay the pricey shipping and handling costs!

I don't know what I would do without this store

I agree...Panacea is an amazing store...and it is great to give our money to the good guys for a change :-)

check out this article that I wrote about Panacea on Veg.ca: http://veg.ca/content/view/740/1/

and also check out this website done by some amazing Local Toronto activists (they had ads in the TTC!!! promoting vegetarianism!) http://chooseveg.ca/
#729 Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Everyone in Toronto who believes in Animal Rights would benefit from coming to this meeting

Especially if you do not feel represented by current AR (new activists, Gary Francione abolitionists, anarchists, seasoned activists, creative types, active types, you!!)

If you have an idea that you have been wanting to "clean-up" or "get done" for a long time, this is your chance to talk about it, maybe others will like your idea, maybe they will be able to offer suggestions, support, ressources.

And if you don't have a particular idea, but want to get involved: if you have talents, ressources, and/or a desire to be involved in AR. If you just want to help or add to other's ideas, and get inspired! Come out and let's network, brainstorm.

We don't all have to agree, but we must all be active!

This is not a group meeting.

This meeting is not for everyone to agree or pass motions. This is a meeting to stimulate new ideas, and get people connected together so that activism can HAPPEN.

This meeting will not be moderated.

The concept is simple: Everyone who has an idea writes on the board as they come in (their first name and a "title" for their idea) All the ideas are then discussed, then afterwards those who heard ideas that they like can network together and get the activism done.

We dont all have to agree and we don't all need to support and be involved in all ideas. What we need is a plurality of activism.

Not all the same, but all of us should be able to do something.

Particulars:

Date : July 16 2009

Time : 7pm - 10pm

Adress : OISE 252 Bloor Street West (Near St-Georges Subway Station)

Room: 2211

City : Toronto, ON

E-mail : [email protected]

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107750840840

Please forward to everyone that you know who is involved and interested in AR in Toronto, Please crosspost on other boards, forums and on other social networking sites.
#730 Old 07-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like a cool idea, vegantoine. I can't make this Thursday, though. Do you know if this will be an ongoing thing, like once a month, maybe?
#731 Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Sounds like a cool idea, vegantoine. I can't make this Thursday, though. Do you know if this will be an ongoing thing, like once a month, maybe?

Definitely if a lot of people show up (more than just saying that they will show up online ;-) or by responding attending on facebook)

and a lot of people genuinely want more of these meetings, than of course I will organize them regularly. That is the hope.

But for these meetings to work, we really need A LOT of people to show up, so that it really is a nteworking meeting.

Antoine
#732 Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

fyi the Veg Out vegan restaurant from Stratford has moved to London. it's at 646 Richmond St. i went a couple weeks ago when i went to London with a friend who is omni. we both ordered the fish n chips and it's just as good as i remember it. (i haven't lived in stratford for a year and a half). everything on the menu is vegan and very very good. and the prices are reasonable. we shared a spinach salad, i had the fish n chips, a martini, and some incredible cheesecake and it was around $30 total. www.vegoutrestaurant.com

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#733 Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM

To those of you who are coming to the meeting this Thursday. I have edited the above post. The room is 2211.

see you all there.

The room has finally been confirmed and it is room 2211. It holds 70 people so let's fill it up! :-)

This is not a group meeting. There is no agenda. No direction and it will not be moderated. It is not to further anyone's idea of activism, it is to nurture EVERYONE'S ideas of activism.

It is for everyone to come by and discuss ideas and brainstorm, but also to network and discover people with whom you can do activism.

If you are part of a group, if you are not, if you are pro-PETA, against PETA, if you want to focus on the cruelty issue, the environmental issue, target young people, old people, religious people, atheists, anarchists, advocate at rock shows, rap shows,movie theatres, grocery stores, whatever!

While not everyone will agree with your ideas and the direction that you wish to go in your activism, some may, and those people will become your allies... We need a plurality of activism. We don't all have to agree or do the same thing, but we all must do SOMETHING.

Thank you.

Antoine.

Please crosspost the information about this event, email to everyone, and share with all activists, dormant activists, and desiring activists :-)
#734 Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Is there another one on soon? I couldn't make it to the one on Thursday. I hope there are going to be more
#735 Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

FYI: For Ottawa people! Or Ottawatonians (is that the right word??)

I think I posted here before trying to find vegan marshmellow fluff in Ottawa and I could not find it anywhere. Well, I found some!

You can buy Ricemallow Creme from the Herb and Spice store downtown. I stumbled across it by accident and it made me very happy!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#736 Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

FYI: For Ottawa people! Or Ottawatonians (is that the right word??)

I think I posted here before trying to find vegan marshmellow fluff in Ottawa and I could not find it anywhere. Well, I found some!

You can buy Ricemallow Creme from the Herb and Spice store downtown. I stumbled across it by accident and it made me very happy!

I didn't see your first post about looking for Ricemallow Creme, or I would have told you! I first saw it there last fall. Isn't it the best?? So good on hot chocolate!
#737 Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

If there is anyone from Ottawa on here, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of finding seitan/nutritional yeast/tempeh etc at a store.

I'm trying to make the transition to veganism (again, but permanently this time ) and a lot of the "meat" that I eat is vegetarian and not vegan, so I want something to replace it with and I want to try to start making my own stuff because its probably a lot cheaper to do so, and with me being in university, I gotta save moola

Thanks a lot to anyone who responds.
#738 Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowduckie21 View Post

If there is anyone from Ottawa on here, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of finding seitan/nutritional yeast/tempeh etc at a store.

I'm trying to make the transition to veganism (again, but permanently this time ) and a lot of the "meat" that I eat is vegetarian and not vegan, so I want something to replace it with and I want to try to start making my own stuff because its probably a lot cheaper to do so, and with me being in university, I gotta save moola

Thanks a lot to anyone who responds.

Hi yellowduckie21,

You can get nutritional yeast at just about any health food store in Ottawa: The Herb and Spice on Bank St, Market Organics (Natural Food Pantry) on York St, or Natural Food Pantry in Billings Bridge mall. It's in the bulk section. The only health food store I've been to that doesn't have it is the Herb and Spice in Westboro, which doesn't have a bulk section.

I've never seen prepared seitan, but the same 3 health food stores sell gluten flour (a.k.a. vital wheat gluten) in their bulk sections. You can use it to make homemade seitan.

Tempeh is in the frozen section of the Natural Food Pantries, and in the refrigerated section of Herb and Spice on Bank St (not the one in Westboro).

Good luck with your transition to veganism! I've been shopping at just about every health food store in Ottawa for over 2 years now, so I can probably tell you where to find what you're looking for. Unfortunately I have to shop at different health food stores because none of them sells everything I need!
#739 Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Beginner

I'm also in Ottawa and have yet to see prepared seitan.

If you're in the west end, Rainbow foods and the Natural Food Pantry in Kanata both have bulk sections and I'm almost positive they both have refrigerated tempeh.
#740 Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I found prepared seitan in Ottawa! But it was seasoned, not plain. I found it at the Market Organics (a.k.a. Natural Food Pantry) on York St, in the refrigerated section. It's made by Le Commensal. I bought an Asian seasoned package. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I'll post what I think of it.
#741 Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 AM

i recently discovered that there are two whole foods locations near me. opinions? is it worth buying there? is it expensive?
#742 Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

To all Ottawa vegans, I made a great find at the Home Hardware on George St. of all places. On the shelf in front of the counter at the back of the store, there is every NatureClean product you could possibly want, for MUCH cheaper than at the health food stores! These products are all vegan (it says so on the bottles), and I've been getting them at the HFS for a while now, and I really like them because they're all completely unscented! They have dishsoap, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, shampoo, conditioner, body wash and hand soap. They're at least $2-$3 cheaper than the HFS, even more so for the detergents. So if you like these brands, definitely go to the Home Hardware for them, it's a much better deal.
#743 Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Anybody in Ottawa know somebody looking for a one bedroom apartment? Near Algonquin college, $775 all inclusive for Oct 1st (or even Nov 1st). They'd be subletting for two months and then could leave again or stay on a month-to-month rental basis from now until eternity.

I'm getting a little desperate here.
#744 Old 08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

I am from the toronto area.
#745 Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

fyi the Veg Out vegan restaurant from Stratford has moved to London. it's at 646 Richmond St. i went a couple weeks ago when i went to London with a friend who is omni. we both ordered the fish n chips and it's just as good as i remember it. (i haven't lived in stratford for a year and a half). everything on the menu is vegan and very very good. and the prices are reasonable. we shared a spinach salad, i had the fish n chips, a martini, and some incredible cheesecake and it was around $30 total. www.vegoutrestaurant.com

I went there about a month ago for dinner (for teh first time) it was great! Highly recommend it!
#746 Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

oh good, glad you liked it! what did you have? i love their new london location it has such a great atmosphere. not that the stratford shop didn't but it was so small and cramped and oooold lol

fyi not sure if i mentinoed it before but the coven garden market in london has this little sushi place way in the back corner that has fantastic vegetarian sushi. there's also a great curry place in there.

i'm most likely going to toronto next weekend with a friend (same one i went with last time to london and TO all in one trip). not sure where to eat. we'll be staying right downtown. she's omni but likes vegan food so i wanna drag her to some good places. last time i ate at kings cafe and it was so-so. there was someone tarring a roof across the street so the tar smells kinda killed the taste of the food, and i found a hair in my rice which was undercooked, but the iced tea was great lol. we might try herbivore which is just down the street from there. it looked pricey when we walked by though.

i think i remember mention of a vegan shoe store downtown toronto, anyone remember what it was called and/or where it is?

~Miyavi "Torture"
#747 Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

nevermind i found the website, it was Left Feet i was thinking of and according to their website their lease was up in september and they didn't have a new location listed yet

~Miyavi "Torture"
#748 Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

oh good, glad you liked it! what did you have? i love their new london location it has such a great atmosphere. not that the stratford shop didn't but it was so small and cramped and oooold lol

fyi not sure if i mentinoed it before but the coven garden market in london has this little sushi place way in the back corner that has fantastic vegetarian sushi. there's also a great curry place in there.

i'm most likely going to toronto next weekend with a friend (same one i went with last time to london and TO all in one trip). not sure where to eat. we'll be staying right downtown. she's omni but likes vegan food so i wanna drag her to some good places. last time i ate at kings cafe and it was so-so. there was someone tarring a roof across the street so the tar smells kinda killed the taste of the food, and i found a hair in my rice which was undercooked, but the iced tea was great lol. we might try herbivore which is just down the street from there. it looked pricey when we walked by though.

i think i remember mention of a vegan shoe store downtown toronto, anyone remember what it was called and/or where it is?

Left Feet is pretty cool, but ya, pricey! I've been in there several times, and to be honest, i can find everythign they sell on the internet for cheaper!

For restaurants--Urban Herbivore in kensington market is wicked for lunch

Fresh is quite good, and insanely popular, Vegetarian Haven is quite good (and below the toronto vegetarian association), Pizzaiolo has vegan slices! and fressen is a bit fancier but good! OH and Sadie's diner is a must for breakfast..they have a vegan breakfast burrito this is amazing!

queen street has a wickd stores for you to check out--there is a place, can't think of the name, but its near the adidas store on queen that sells Macbeth Vegan shoes. And lots of the stores on queen have vegan slip ons

#749 Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchild View Post

It's called Left Feet, it's near Kensington Market. It's pretty small and easy to miss, so write down the address before you go searching for it!

http://leftfeet.ca/splash.html
#750 Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

yes but they're closed, like i said their site says their lease was up and they had to find a new location, site isn't updated with new location info yet just says you can do mail order til they find a new spot.

we will be wandering queen a bit i think so i'll have to keep an eye out for those places, thanks

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page