Ontario - Page 23 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#661 Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

It's funny you ask, I wanted them SO BADLY, and googled and googled and finally found a place in Oakville. I went the other day on my way home from Toronto and to my excitement that actually had them! (Sweet n Sara brand).

Alas, they were made in the same facility as wheat and I have celiac disease, so I didn't buy them out of precaution and went home and called to see what their cross contamination policies are. They said not to eat them.

Gah! But anyway, I hope you can enjoy them. This was at Organic Garage in Oakville. I am sure if they are there they are somewhere in Toronto.

PS. I was She-Ra for Hallowe'en about four years ago and it was the best costume I've ever had.

Oh that's good, that gives me hope! I found one place in Toronto that is worth looking into. If I find them there I'll be stocking up on a year-long supply!

I want to be She-Ra for halloween this year! I don't feel like spending lots of time and effort on my costume though, so I'll probably just not do it.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

Oh that's good, that gives me hope! I found one place in Toronto that is worth looking into. If I find them there I'll be stocking up on a year-long supply!

I want to be She-Ra for halloween this year! I don't feel like spending lots of time and effort on my costume though, so I'll probably just not do it.

I was a poor, undergrad student when I did it with hardly a dollar. Let me know if you decide and I'll give you details (I'd find a photo but I'm not too keen of my photograph on the world wide web).
#663 Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anybody know of a grocery store in Toronto where I can find the following:

Parma! (a vegan parmesan cheese replacement)

Sweet & Sara marshamallows

ProBar meal replacement bars

Mimicreme (a vegan cream replacement made from cashews & almonds, I think)

I'm coming out to Toronto in about 2 days and am hoping to avoid buying all this food on the Internet. Anywhere that's easily accessible by transit would be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#664 Old 10-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Just posting to say I live in Ottawa! Hello, fellow Ontariwans.
#665 Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Hey!

I live up north so that chances of me getting vegan supplies are very slim. From this thread I've heard of Green Door Vegan Variety. But I didn't see Egg Replacers in their Online Store. Does anyone know of any Canadian Based Vegan online stores? Has anyone shopped at Green Door Vegan Variety online?

Thanks!!
#666 Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin_398 View Post

Hey!

I live up north so that chances of me getting vegan supplies are very slim. From this thread I've heard of Green Door Vegan Variety. But I didn't see Egg Replacers in their Online Store. Does anyone know of any Canadian Based Vegan online stores? Has anyone shopped at Green Door Vegan Variety online?

Thanks!!

Why don't you want to try an American online vegan store? I get tons of stuff from veganessentials.com all the time, and shipping is pretty reasonable (average $15) and I never have to pay customs fees when it gets delivered. And they always use the latest exchange rate.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the powdered egg replacer, since there are so many other options that are just as good or better that I don't need the powdered stuff. I highly recommend using soft or silken tofu as an egg replacer (1/4 cup to replace 1 egg). It has worked in every recipe I've tried, including cookies, cakes and muffins. Or you can skip substituting altogether and get some good vegan cookbooks that give you dessert recipes without any "substitutes".

Good luck!
#667 Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Why don't you want to try an American online vegan store? I get tons of stuff from veganessentials.com all the time, and shipping is pretty reasonable (average $15) and I never have to pay customs fees when it gets delivered. And they always use the latest exchange rate.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the powdered egg replacer, since there are so many other options that are just as good or better that I don't need the powdered stuff. I highly recommend using soft or silken tofu as an egg replacer (1/4 cup to replace 1 egg). It has worked in every recipe I've tried, including cookies, cakes and muffins. Or you can skip substituting altogether and get some good vegan cookbooks that give you dessert recipes without any "substitutes".

Good luck!

Personally, I'm a big fan of using flax seed eggs in baking, when it applies. Really good in cookies where the taste won't be had. Oatmeal, ginger, etc.

Just mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with two or three tablespoons of very hot water, and beat the tar out of it. It'll get sorta slimy.

I've seen people do this with whole flax seeds, and then strain it. I buy mine pre-ground and stash them in the freezer, but I plan on trying the whole ones eventually.
#668 Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good vegan restaurant in Ottawa? Or at least a restaurant that has good vegan choices. I might be going there soon and thought I should check now.
#669 Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin_398 View Post

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good vegan restaurant in Ottawa? Or at least a restaurant that has good vegan choices. I might be going there soon and thought I should check now.

I live in Ottawa!

What kind of food do you like? If you like Thai food, I highly recommend Sacred Garden Thai vegetarian restaurant, at 1300 Bank Street. It's 100% vegetarian, they don't use any fish- or shrimp-derived products at all. The only non-vegan ingredient they use is eggs, and you can ask for almost any dish egg-free. My husband and I love their mock meats: all except the mock shrimp, which is so, SO realistic that I can't stomach it!

Another great restaurant (more like a small bistro) is the Wild Oat, at 817 Bank Street. It's more of a health food restaurant, featuring things like raw pizzas, grilled tofu and sprout sandwiches, lovely salads and great breakfasts such as scrambled tofu. It's quite small and often crowded, so go in the off-peak hours if you don't want long line-ups. It's not vegan, but nearly every dish can be made vegan, and they are usually good about substituting vegan ingredients for non-vegan, such as avocado instead of cheese, etc.

If you like vegetarian sushi, I highly recommend Restaurant Joy on the corner of Somerset and O'Connor street, which has a wonderful vegetarian sushi platter with 3 different kinds of vegetarian sushi, including an awesome caramelized tofu roll. The rest of the menu isn't very vegan-friendly, but I only go there for the sushi anyway.

I've never been to the Green Door vegetarian restaurant, which is a pay-by-weight buffet style restaurant. But I've heard bad things about them unfortunately. My friends have said that the food often sits for a while and isn't all that great. But I'm generally not picky and I've been to other pay-by-weight vegetarian restaurants that I loved when others said it wasn't good. So I'd give the Green Door a chance if you'd prefer to eat at an all-vegetarian place.
#670 Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Beginner

I live in Ottawa as well and I LOVE the Green Door. The food doesn't sit too long, I always see them replacing the dishes as they are emptied, and it is always tasty.

There's also the Table, which is just another pay-by-weight buffet. I don't enjoy it at all, however. The food is just not as good.
#671 Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

i've moved to toronto and am hoping to find an animal rights/welfare group that i can participate in protests and whatnot with. anyone know of any groups?
#672 Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

maybe the people at veg.ca might know of a group? - i checked their website and didn't see one though. sorry!
#673 Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfamiliar View Post

i've moved to toronto and am hoping to find an animal rights/welfare group that i can participate in protests and whatnot with. anyone know of any groups?

http://www.animal-rights.ca/
#674 Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

http://www.animal-rights.ca/

thanks! the potluck sounds fun but i don't have anyone to bring with me
#675 Old 12-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfamiliar View Post

thanks! the potluck sounds fun but i don't have anyone to bring with me

go for it on your own- be brave! maybe you'll meet someone there to go with next time. .... or you could stick a nametag and a scarf on a potato salad and call it Dave? if nothing else it'd be an interesting icebreaker.
#676 Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

go for it on your own- be brave! maybe you'll meet someone there to go with next time. .... or you could stick a nametag and a scarf on a potato salad and call it Dave? if nothing else it'd be an interesting icebreaker.

That sounds adorable! If somebody did that at a potluck I was going to, I'd be charmed enough to go talk to them.
#677 Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Beginner

anyone from aylmer?! doubt it.
#678 Old 12-24-2008, 10:40 PM

HI everyone, Merry Christmas! (don't ask what I'm doing searching out veggie forums at 12am on Christmas day..no idea, I was bored, hehe..)

Re: the potlucks..for sure go on your own if you've got no one to bring! I go to veg potlucks all the time...actually I always meet MORE people when I go alone (maybe because I look lonely, so more people come up and chat? lol)

Re: Aylmer..I'm from London..
#679 Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Can anyone suggest vegan and/or vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in downtown Toronto?
#680 Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Can anyone suggest vegan and/or vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in downtown Toronto?

The only one I've been to is Le Commensal, on the corner of Bay and Elm (a couple blocks north of Dundas). I really liked it, it's buffet style and everything is labelled so you know whether something is vegan, lacto-veg, ovo-veg, gluten-free, etc. There were lots of vegan things, and I found them all pretty good.

But I know there are tons of veg restaurants downtown, though that's the only one I've tried because it's so close to the Dundas bus station. If you try a different restaurant, post here and let us know how you like it!
#681 Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Will do. I'll be traveling to Toronto at the end of the month, so I will not be able to post my food reviews until February.
#682 Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would recommend the following:

Cafe 668 is probably my favourite.

http://www.cafe668.com/

I've never had a bad meal there, although I do have a preference for the tofu dishes over the fake meat dishes.

Fresh have three locations, I've only been to two: http://www.juiceforlife.com/

I like the Queen St location best but the menu's the same at all three. There's lots of selection here and the food lives up to the name. It's more of a brunch/lunch place for me. Their breakfast wraps are great. Actually all the wraps and the bowls I have tried have been really good.

Fressen is a nice little vegan place on Queen, a little more upscale than most veg restaurants:

http://www.fressenrestaurant.com/

The portions are small and there can sometimes be a bit of a wait though. For some reason they seem to have taken the tempeh fish and taro chips off the menu despite still having it on their website, but if you're there and they have it, get that!

Pulp Kitchen is kind of a dive, but they do a great breakfast:

http://www.pulpkitchen.ca/

Although if you want a fantastic breakfast, the scrambled tofu at the Gladstone Hotel is amazing.

http://www.dine.to/gladstonehotel

If you want to try a raw place, check out Live.

http://www.livefoodbar.com/

Their sushi tastes like garbage, but the raw pizza is amazing. I had the winter ravioli last time I was there and it was great. The nachos "chips" are a little chewy, but the cashew sour cream that it's served with tastes like the real thing.

Rawlicious is probably a better raw restaurant, but I doubt you'll be going to the Junction. http://www.rawlicious.ca/Rawlicious/Home.html

I would say the only ones I would really give a miss were La Commensal (the food was bland and lukewarm and incredibly overpriced) and Buddha's Vegetarian Foods, unless you like big bowls of tasteless gelatinous bean curd served in clear glass pie plates and getting your appetizer about ten minutes after you've finished your main course. There's another veggie place called Pure Vegetarian right next door to Buddha's, which was Cafe 668's previous location before they moved to Dundas, that is a lot better than Buddha's. But not nearly as good as Cafe 668.
#683 Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

^^^ wow! look at you go, recommendation boy! thanks!
#684 Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My favourite restaurant is one called Buddha's located at 666 Dundas Street West. It looks really shabby, but the place is super busy, and is clean. Ive been going for years. Its by far the cheapest vegan eats in Toronto... The prices tend to range around the 6-9 dollar range, however 1 dish is enough for 2 people with left overs.

Ive been to Cafe 668 and its a nice looking restaurant, however the food does not match up for what you pay. You pay for presentation and location, not actual quality. Its on the higher end, the dishes are small and misleading (i ordered a dish that was supposed to be all mushrooms of different varieties, and it ended up being mostly regular white mushrooms on top of deep fried noodle.... nothing special.

These guys also copied Buddha's dish called "imitation duck", which is super good (not fake meat).... and give you 1/2 the portion size for twice as much $.

Cafe 668 isnt bad, but if you go to Buddhas first, then you wouldnt like it as much.
#685 Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio1 View Post

Cafe 668 isnt bad, but if you go to Buddhas first, then you wouldnt like it as much.

Buddha's is cheaper an has much larger portions, I'll give them that. But in my opinion the food isn't good (admittedly I've only tried two mains and one appetizer, but they were all tasteless-bordering-on-gross), the presentation is poor, and the ambiance/decor sucks. Especially if you sit near the front and have a constant throng of people coming in to get take-out.

Anyway, sorry to be contrary. I'm just flabbergasted at how often people rave about Buddha's when it was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. Oh well. To each his own.

Oh, one I forgot is Mela Italian Vegetarian Cafe

http://www.yummybaguette.com/magasin.php-id=276.htm

Definitely more of a lunch place though.
#686 Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

ok guys i need some suggestions. i have a friend overseas with a birthday coming up. he's always talking about wanting to come visit Canada some day and is always asking me questions about how things are here vs where he lives. so i figure for his bday i might send him a small care package of assorted canadian items that he can't find in the UK. but he doesn't really eat sweets. i may include a little thing of maple syrup or maple candies just for the sake of it but i need some other non sweets related canadian items to send. i'm going to make a mixed cd of some of my favourite canadian artists as well

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#687 Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

ok guys i need some suggestions. i have a friend overseas with a birthday coming up. he's always talking about wanting to come visit Canada some day and is always asking me questions about how things are here vs where he lives. so i figure for his bday i might send him a small care package of assorted canadian items that he can't find in the UK. but he doesn't really eat sweets. i may include a little thing of maple syrup or maple candies just for the sake of it but i need some other non sweets related canadian items to send. i'm going to make a mixed cd of some of my favourite canadian artists as well

ok,well, compared to british stuff, canadian chocolate sucks, so its just as well that he's not into sweets.

um.... *thinks*

most snack food stuff will be different for him. i remember when i came over almost every brand was new to me. even lays chips (they're almost the same, same packaging, but called 'walkers' in england). miss vickies chips would be better though, cos they're better. loads of whats normal to you will be odd to him. i found koolaid sachets rather fascinating when i came over, for example. and the first time i saw a sign for 'mr lube'- that made me laugh so hard it wasn't funny.

what about some of the olympics stuff from the bay/zellers? or a toronto maple leafs somethingorother. my little bro and his friends were insistant about wanting hats/scarves when i got them canadian gifts.

ooooh, something from roots. cos the whole idea of a beaver on a shirt is kinda slightly dirty and amusing as well as being canadian. i thought so, and my friend thought so too when she came over, anyway.

one thing to be really aware of is the weight and size of what you send- mainly weight (hence my mentioning chips and scarves). check weights for shipping before you buy anything. i sent my neice and nephew something like $20 of random chocolate last xmas and it cost me $60 to get it there within 3 weeks- the next lowest shipping price was via surface mail, and took 3 months.
#688 Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

some good ideas there. i might check out roots while they still have their end of season sale going

~Miyavi "Torture"
#689 Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Well you should definitely send some of that tea you gave me for Christmas . Also, I remember being in a gift shop once and I saw a cookbook called "The Little Canadian Cookbook" that had recipes for "traditional" Canadian food. I saw it in B.C. though, but maybe you can order it online!
#690 Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

there's an idea. that also reminds me of a gift my hubby brought to our white elephant type gift exchange this christmas, it was a little book of canadian sayings. some were really funny

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page