Ontario - Page 22 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#631 Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Dom
Beginner

Hi all -

My name is Dom, and I live in Ottawa. Married, mom of ten year old (omni) twins and an omni husband - (sigh, the kids are malleable, but the husband is not; oh well)... and working on becoming vegan-from-vegetarian. I work at home as a freelance writer, and am interested in meeting new people.

Thanks for providing this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#632 Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post

Hi all -

My name is Dom, and I live in Ottawa. Married, mom of ten year old (omni) twins and an omni husband - (sigh, the kids are malleable, but the husband is not; oh well)... and working on becoming vegan-from-vegetarian. I work at home as a freelance writer, and am interested in meeting new people.

Thanks for providing this forum!

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in TO. Now I'm back in BC. Congrats on your interest in veganism.
#633 Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to mention--I went to Fresh on Crawford and it was awesome!! I dislike fresh on Bloor (Unfortunate since I live a 30 second walk away..) but on Crawford the venue is nicer and the waitstaff are so SO much nicer... they don't try to kill me when I try to make sure something is vegan. "We're a vegan restaurant! *rolls eyes*" "Uh hello? You have cheese, (real) mayonaise, honey, milk, cream and whey integrated into your menu. That is not vegan. -_-'"

Fressen is also my love. Oh my gosh is that place SO good. Everything on the menu is 9 bucks and its all soo soooo good. I went there on a formal date and its a gorgeous venue you can really dress up to the 9s for where the waitstaff are all fancied up and the lights are dimmed and the food is gorgeous. My date got handmade pasta and I got moroccan stew--the drinks were fabulous an the dessert was a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and fresh fruit and it was to DIE for... I was so happy; I'm usually really nervous when I take dates to vegan venues and this one impressed us both!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#634 Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Once of my fav things about summer is the fresh produce you can buy. I am always on the look out for good farmers markets. I found this list of some in the Toronto area. Has anyone been to these before?

http://blogs.lifestyle.aol.ca/2008/0...rmers-markets/

I've checked out the Don Valley Brick Works market which is really nice as there are some nice walks to do around there too. It doesn't even feel like you're in the city
#635 Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned

i've been to St Lawrence Market a few times. its what we'd call 'gurt lush' at home. very busy, unfortunately there is a fair bit of meat and stinky things, but there is also a really nice range of fruits and veggies, homemade food, plus the usual imported and international spices and products and trinkets and whatnot in the other hall.
#636 Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been to the High Park one, it's a loss less busy than the St Lawrence and its mostly produce.. and its all organic... but like a lot of farmers markets (and organic to boot) boy is it expensive!!!
#637 Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM

What products are friendly around here? I want to start kicking out those nasty products and bringing in the more friendly ones but don't know where to start.

I hope this is a good start, because I really like it:

Down Under Natural's FORTIFYING Shampoo (all hair types) BOTANICAL EXTRACTS

I also use the conditioner.
#638 Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesPrincess View Post

What products are friendly around here? I want to start kicking out those nasty products and bringing in the more friendly ones but don't know where to start.

I hope this is a good start, because I really like it:

Down Under Natural's FORTIFYING Shampoo (all hair types) BOTANICAL EXTRACTS

I also use the conditioner.

i'm not sure on the ingredients of down under naturals. you'd need to email them to find out if there are animal products in it, i think. same with animal testing (not sure what the bottle says). the law around putting the word 'natural' on stuff seems really shady. you could probably just drop a drip of lavander oil into some awful gack, and label it as 'fortified with soothing natural botanicals'.

beyond that, um... what you get depends on where you shop, your budget, and what you want to get, and to avoid, really. there are different products in small shoppers drug marts than big healthfood stores and supermarkets, you know?

i like method for cleaning products, hand soaps, etc. shoppers has a pretty decent line of it- they also have their own version dish soap + kitchen cleaner which is nearly half the price when it goes on sale- which is all the time.

the bigger stores also have samy brand shampoos and conditioners, kiss my face (check ingredients if you're vegan), giovanni, alba botanicals, toms of maine (i like their toothpaste) natures gate, and this new live clean stuff, etc. zellers has a load of this stuff too (normally cheaper) and so do bigger grocery stores.

i don't often see full ranges though, probably cos its american stuff for the most part.

i don't personally like a lot of the natural sls free shampoos and conditioners- they leave my hair limp and dirty feeling, and i struggle with it. i love a lot of the shower gels and moisturisers and cleaning things though (except dishwasher detergent, which always sucks).

hope thats a start. don't be afraid to ask for more specifics though.
#639 Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

#640 Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinfrome View Post

Once of my fav things about summer is the fresh produce you can buy. I am always on the look out for good farmers markets.

There's one in Liberty Village on Sunday mornings. It's part of My Market.

http://www.my-market.ca/

Also listed here. http://www.farmersmarketsontario.com/index.cfm

It's small, but that's what I like about it. It's mostly organic. The one vendor there sells organic heirloom tomatoes that are absolutely amazing.

While you're in the neighbourhood pick up a loaf of bread from here: http://www.atelierthuet.ca/home.asp

You'll thank me.
#641 Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks.

I'm looking for specific recommendations of products now. I'm slowly going to start transitioning to vegan, but am a big milk person. I've tried the SO GOOD products but they are just too sweet or something, I can't seem to get it down. Preferrably things that could be found in Zehrs stores, oh and I've heard some talk of soy and coconut milk yogurts. I generally hate yogurt but if this stuff doesn't taste the same as "generic" yogurt then I'm in for trying it!
#642 Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

so good isn't my favourite either. their icecream is really sickly and a bit foamy, i only vaguely remember buying the milk once, so i must have thought it ininspirng. i haven't seen the coconut so-delicious yet- i'm waiting impatiently.

*tries to think what the zehrs in o'ville used to have*. um...

i like: natura rice and soya milk (rice milk for sweet things, unsweetened soy for savoury stuff), rice cream rice milk (as above), almond breeze almond milk (really thick and rich- good for hot chocolate) and sometimes ryza rice milk (it is very very sweet though). i also prefer the shelf stable 'milks' to the chilled ones, you can get a smaller carton, and it lasts longer unopened.

i haven't seen any amazing yogurts in canada, but i've been spoiled on the european french-set smooth style stuff. i'm using yoso at the minute and the natural one aint bad i stick a blob of it in smoothies.

one things we do have thats great is icecream. so delicious makes an incredible chocolate peanut butter zigzag icecream, and the good karma rice divine line is amazing.
#643 Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Who'se going to the toronto vegetarian food fair this weekend?!?!?!?!
#644 Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i was thinking about it.
#645 Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Toronto Vegetarian fair?

I've lived in Windsor for the past 4 years and I had no idea there existed a Toronto vegetarian fair.

I so wish I knew that! Which weekend is it? What days?

I'm just going to go google it right now. ^_^

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
#646 Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

nope, can't go. but have attended the past 2 years and would highly recommend it.
#647 Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I would LOVE to go, but Toronto is a 5 hour drive from me, and I just drove 5 hours last weekend to go to Quebec City. I don't think I can afford so many more tanks of gas so soon
#648 Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Who's going to the toronto vegetarian food fair this weekend?!?!?!?!

Me. It's never overly exciting, but I seem to keep going anyway.
#649 Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesPrincess View Post

Thanks.

I'm looking for specific recommendations of products now. I'm slowly going to start transitioning to vegan, but am a big milk person. I've tried the SO GOOD products but they are just too sweet or something, I can't seem to get it down. Preferrably things that could be found in Zehrs stores, oh and I've heard some talk of soy and coconut milk yogurts. I generally hate yogurt but if this stuff doesn't taste the same as "generic" yogurt then I'm in for trying it!

Ah if you do not like So Good, I would highly recommend Rice Dream as a milk substitute although it may not have the same protein content as So Good, it is lighter tasting. If So Good is too sweet you could also purchase some soy milk powder and sweeten it to your liking using agave syrup or something.

#650 Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

I didn't make it. We were passing through Toronto on Sunday right when there was that big storm. We had another 4 hour drive ahead of us and we decided it would be much more pleasant if we were dry.

^_^

Maybe next year.

However, when we were in Ottawa we found a really nice restaurant called

The Table.

It's buffet style, you pay by weight. I was pretty impressed. ^_^ A little bit expensive if you buy heavy stuff though.
#651 Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I went yesterday, and had a great time! I was in my glory with all of the yummy vegan goodies! I am definitely going to make this a yearly trip from now on!
#652 Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone tried any of the companies listed on this page?

http://www.greenontario.org/buygreen/food.html

(I noted at least three of the links appear to be broken.) I'm most interested in Foodshare's Good Food Box, but it would probably mean that I would have to be the "stop coordinator".
#653 Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyanca View Post

Has anyone tried any of the companies listed on this page?

http://www.greenontario.org/buygreen/food.html

(I noted at least three of the links appear to be broken.) I'm most interested in Foodshare's Good Food Box, but it would probably mean that I would have to be the "stop coordinator".

i've shopped in the big carrot several times. love it.

my bf used to use grocery gateway, and really liked it- i'm pretty sure its longos stuff.

i'm thinking you're probably more interested in the other bits though. sorry.
#654 Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i've shopped in the big carrot several times. love it.

my bf used to use grocery gateway, and really liked it- i'm pretty sure its longos stuff.

i'm thinking you're probably more interested in the other bits though. sorry.

Yeah, I shop at the Big Carrot sometimes. Once the weather is a little cooler, I might go more often. (I don't drive, so don't like to buy perishables too far from home in the summer.)

I tried Grocery Gateway once when they were fairly new, maybe I'll try them again. I also e-mailed Foodshare about whether they have a stop in my area. However, I feel a little weird using them. It's run by volunteers and really meant to provide less expensive, local produce. I wouldn't want to be taking food that could be going to a senior, daycare program or a low-income family. Not sure how it works exactly.
#655 Old 09-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I might be asking this in vain...but...

does anyone know of a place to buy veg*n marshmallows? Even the ricemallow stuff would be fine, but I can't find it anywhere. I live in Ottawa. I am visiting Toronto in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to look there as well.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#656 Old 09-22-2008, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I might be asking this in vain...but...

does anyone know of a place to buy veg*n marshmallows? Even the ricemallow stuff would be fine, but I can't find it anywhere. I live in Ottawa. I am visiting Toronto in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to look there as well.

It's funny you ask, I wanted them SO BADLY, and googled and googled and finally found a place in Oakville. I went the other day on my way home from Toronto and to my excitement that actually had them! (Sweet n Sara brand).

Alas, they were made in the same facility as wheat and I have celiac disease, so I didn't buy them out of precaution and went home and called to see what their cross contamination policies are. They said not to eat them.

Gah! But anyway, I hope you can enjoy them. This was at Organic Garage in Oakville. I am sure if they are there they are somewhere in Toronto.

PS. I was She-Ra for Hallowe'en about four years ago and it was the best costume I've ever had.
#657 Old 09-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

This was at Organic Garage in Oakville

Yay! I've been meaning to check that place out anyways... I'm so glad to hear I can get vegan marshmallows there too!!
#658 Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwysca View Post

Yay! I've been meaning to check that place out anyways... I'm so glad to hear I can get vegan marshmallows there too!!

I can honestly tell you it is the best - and best priced for the majority of things - store I have been to.
#659 Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

I can honestly tell you it is the best - and best priced for the majority of things - store I have been to.

Oh good! I live so close, I have to go there and check it out!
#660 Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwysca View Post

Oh good! I live so close, I have to go there and check it out!

Must be nice! I noticed their produce and frozen goods were also exceptional, as well, I found things there that I never really see much in Canada. Although I'm not big on pre-made things, it was exciting nonetheless. I think pears were about 97 cents a pound for organic! Nothing like that here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page