Ontario - Page 21 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#601 Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

anyone in/near Stratford keep an eye out for "Soup's On" soups. they're in glass jars and in refrigerated section. Zehr's has them where they keep the hummus. there's a bunch of different kinds and they're all vegan! i had no idea. they do this competition every year where local restaurants create a soup and people taste and vote for the best one etc. i never went cause i assumed they wouldn't be veg. every one in the store is vegan! minestrone, leek and potato, hot and sour (!) split pea and lentil, butternut squash, brocolli, etc etc. they all looked fantastic. i bought the hot and sour, leek and potato and one other i can't remember which. they're 6.99 a jar but it looks like a jar will fill 2-3 large bowls so that's not bad really. a can of amy's is almost $3 and only fills one small bowl so i'd say it's not a bad deal.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#602 Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Just saying Hi--new Vegan in Toronto!

Giving up meat and dairy was pretty easy for me: for the past year I only ate it when it was shoved in front of me, and even then I only had small bites to be 'polite'. That or I was too drunk to care WHAT I was eating, so long as it was food. Animal products in my clothing/cosmetics/toiletries is the harder one... at the moment I'm letting things run out, though I realized that somehow I fluked and a lot of the stuff I have is vegan anyway, which is sweet.
#603 Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/tor...b3d2d6&k=25293

Manic Coffee 426 College St. (416) 966-3888 www.maniccoffee.com

Across the table, the owner of a soy chai latte ($3.75) is falling in love with it and offers up his oversized vegan pumpkin cookie ($2.50) to make up for the so-so hot chocolate

I've never been there...must have soy chai latte...

Okay so no one wanted to share their wine rack finds with me, and I'll be honest it hurt...well not really but I still need one for when I don't drink all the wine at once. It could happen!

But the real reason I'm posting is because that new automated stop announcer lady on the trolleys is creeping me out. I liked it better when the big burly dude at the wheel (thingy) would just bark whatever stops he felt like calling over his shoulder. And I don't like the way she pronounces some of the stops. Down with automated trolley stop caller lady!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#604 Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Niagara Falls
#605 Old 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm from the Niagara region, also...!
#606 Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Can anybody recommend a good website that we can buy natural/organic products from? I want to get some nice environmental/vegetarian themed shirts and stuff too. It seems all I find is generally for the US. Thanks.
#607 Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

In the GTA, check out Gourmet Vegetarian Chinese (VERY yummy, almost matches Harmony in Atlanta... almost) in Richmond Hill and Cafe Mirage at 4841 Yonge St.

Gourmet has a wide selection of vegan and vegetarian dishes, and all of the non-vegan meals are marked with a red star on the menu. My omni/meat sub-resistant SO tried the Shanghai noodles and lemon chicken with me and he agreed that it was "definitely edible" and then battled me with chopsticks for the last piece of lemon chicken! Both dishes were completely vegan.

Cafe Mirage is not entirely vegetarian, but they have a huge selection of things for LO's. Try their spinach lasagna, veggie quiche, and bruschetta pizza. Don't forget to top the meal off with a slice of cheesecake! I love the raspberry creme-topped one and the plain cheesecake with nutella. *drools*
#608 Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Hey Everyone - we spent the day in Toronto last week!

My hair salon is in Yorkville so we trekked two hours by car into the city on Thursday morning. We stopped in and visited the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) which was great for the kids they really enjoyed the Dinosaur exhibit. Funny thing though, now that I am veg*n I had a hard time seeing all the dead stuffed animals in the glass cases, this is something that would have bothered me before but not as much as it does now. So I guess I had mixed feelings about our visit.

I asked the salon owner where we should eat and he suggested Whole Foods which was great, it wasn't all that easy though to find Vegan food, almost everything but the salads had either milk or eggs listed as ingredients. I did however, enjoy shopping I bought a bunch of stuff that I haven't seen in SWO.

I bought a gourmet Strawberry spread called Gouash - I'm sure it's just like jam but it looks very artsy fartsy so I couldn't resist, also picked up some Sunbutter for the monsters and found some Earth Balance Buttery Sticks which I'll try baking with. I found Soya Style Feta and Belsoy however, I didn't realize that is it was past the expiry date. . I also bought some Tofutti Cream Cheese we can only get the Yoso brand here so we'll see which tastes better; if they are both gross I'll just use them for baking. Lastly I picked up the latest edition of VegNews which I'm about to sit down and devour right now.

On our way home Al wanted to stop for a coffee so I told him to pull over on the corner of Bloor and Spadina because there is a Second Cup there, while he ran to pick up two Soy Chai Lattes - which are way better than Starbucks btw I looked out the window and realized we were parked right out in front of Fresh. Had I known we were so close we could have lunch there. Oh well next time. I've heard such great things about that place.
#609 Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

i didn't know TO had a whole foods, whereabouts is it?

~Miyavi "Torture"
#610 Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/cana...nto/index.html

It's pretty cramped and not as nice as the stand alone supermarket style Whole Foods, but it gets the job done.
#611 Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM

There a Whole Foods in Oakville as well, although I've never been.
#612 Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

there is one in Yorkville, in Hazelton Lanes shopping centre. there is a fair bit of stuff in there, but i've only been a few times cos its a bit of a pain in the backside logistically for me, and i always end up spending a fortune.

hey! whaaaa! no! people typing faster than me should not be permitted. *scowls*
#613 Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriSeas View Post

There a Whole Foods in Oakville as well, although I've never been.

I often visit the Oakville Whole Foods, and it's lovely!
#614 Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i'll have to check it out next time i'm in the area. i wish there was one in north bay

~Miyavi "Torture"
#615 Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Hm, does anybody know anything about copyrights and ontario publishers, etc? I want to get together a few pieces of various kinds and submit them to different publishers in Ontario (I'm assuming the biggest main base for publishers is Toronto). But, I have no idea where to start or how to create a writing profile.

Anyway, I realized today that I'm a writer. It isn't something that I do but part of who I am. It is my passion and I've always known that. Why it's taken me this long to do something about it is beyond me.
#616 Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't have any info or advise, just wanted to say good for you!! i wish i could figure out what i want to/should be doing

~Miyavi "Torture"
#617 Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 PM

Hey, does anyone know about vegan/vegetarian places in Kitchener/Waterloo, or where I could buy vegan products (mostly food)? I'm moving there in the fall.

Oh, I just found out how to search this thread and there's lots of info, awesome!
#618 Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

not sure but if you ever venture into stratford make sure you go to veg out

~Miyavi "Torture"
#619 Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

There are some good places in the area - a whole vegan store in kitchener (i forget what it's called, i moved away a couple of years ago), a good health food store on bridgeport in waterloo.
#620 Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM

The Vegan store in Kitchener is 'Green Door Vegan Variety'.

Also most super markets contain some vegan products. I am almost Vegan and I usually go to the following stores in Kitchener/Waterloo.

1. ValuMart

2. Zehr's

3. Food Basics

4. Onkar Foods and Spices

5. Bulk Barn
#621 Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

zehr's rocks

~Miyavi "Torture"
#622 Old 04-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

not sure but if you ever venture into stratford make sure you go to veg out

i saw their ad in the stratford festival brochure! i was so excited. we're going to stop by there for dinner when we see a play.
#623 Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

they're usually closed sundays and mondays fyi but yeah definately check them out. this woman does amazing things i tell ya. i recommend the chicken balls, nuggets, the fish and chips (seriously!), and most definately the spinach salad.. oh heck everything i've tried there is amazing. she makes killer brownies too

~Miyavi "Torture"
#624 Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM

I haven't looked through this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been posted!

My boyfriend (sweetest guy everrr) surprised me and took me out to a veggie resturant!! It's called the Graceful Vegetarian and it was delicious!!!! It's located in Markham, near Pacific Mall. If you want a yummy night out, check it out!!

#625 Old 04-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Cool, thanks everyone for the info!! I'm going to make a list for when I go!
#626 Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi fellow Ontarians!

I live in Mississauga and am new to VB. I am newly vegan and am so hyped!!

Does anyone else live in the GTA?

Yvette
#627 Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

yep. brampton.
#628 Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

nope. south of you.
#629 Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

In Ontario I find there are not to many Veggie's I know. I dunno why just seems to be a small amount
#630 Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The Gay Pride Parade is taking place this weekend and i'll be volunteering with the Toronto Vegetarian Association either on the Sat or Sun (havent decided yet--I'll post soon) come out and meet me, support the TVA, and show your pride! ^__^

details on the tva site: www.veg.ca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page