Ontario - Page 20 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#571 Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Rahkoon, I'm in Ottawa. You will really need to get in contact with me. We hold monthly vegan potlucks through the local veg association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

i'm looking for the best and tastiest foods that i can find as a vegan in toronto, canada. and other questions which are very important or me.

there are good chances that i will not stay in toronto much longer. i don't have much time to try many restaurants.

what restaurants serve the best mock meats?. and what would you recommend to choose from the menu?

even if it's far from the center of toronto.

also, there is non dairy gelateria? what its name?

what others gelaterias serve the best vegan icecream?

where can i find vegan pizza?

and another very important question that i have and just recalled. do you know vegans or vegetarians in toronto of anywhere else, who does not like vegan foods many times?

or for example specific people who having a lot of criticism about vegans in general? like people who are vegan but don't like many things about vegans in general.

and lastly. do you know if there would be new mock meats options that would be introduced in the vegetarian fair?
#573 Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Who's going to the VEG FOOD FAIR this weekend in the T dot?!

ME ME ME!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#574 Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I might go on Friday - I commute to Toronto and Friday I will be there, but work all weekend here.
#575 Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going this afternoon!

It'll be my first year going, so I'm pretty psyched.
#576 Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

*****IKEA FREE ZONE*****

Question for Toronto people...anyone know a good place to buy a nice wall mounted wine rack? TTC accessible but other than that, travel is fun. I was thinking there should be something like that in Chinatown but it's so HUGE and I don't want to shop forever. Recommendations?

*****IKEA FREE ZONE*****
#577 Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Paganveg, how were the festivities this year? Does your belly still hurt?
#578 Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

It was a lot of fun and the food was AWESOME!!!! Very crowded though.
#579 Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi,

I was wondering if TARS was still operating a bi monthly Sunday vegan potluck. I went to there website and emailed them twice, and no responce. anyone know?

Any other vegan potlucks in Toronto?
#580 Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 AM

Hey I'm in Ottawa now and I'm getting really bored... any suggestions?
#581 Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM

*pops in*

I'm from a tiny, tiny, tiny town in south western Ontario. Its really boring here and I'm hoping/planning to move to kitchener when I'm done high school (few more months... few more months)
#582 Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

hey else - i used to live in kitchener area (for school - in waterloo). trust me. it's nothing spectacular!
#583 Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

which tiny town? i'm in Stratford

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#584 Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Kitchener/Waterloo is about a hundred times more exciting than here.

Ever heard of Palmerston, Faile?
#585 Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Well I'm in Nepean and I'm about to die from boredom.
#586 Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I'm in Nepean and I'm about to die from boredom.

awww... oh dear! i totally relate. sometimes i get a bit mental from boredom here.

have you been for a wander round the block yet? have you got a map? do you know where the nearest little 7-11 type store is? i know going out alone is a bit scary, but once you start, it makes a big difference to your confidence and your sanity.

there has got to at least be a mall (browse the amazing canadian fashions!) within bus distance... or a supermarket (check out the veggie food!), a library (check out books and make your bf borrow them for you later), or a video store (watch different stuff on the tv)-if there isn't, there must be somewhere small and relatively pointless that you can walk to and back from, withsomething to look at for a bit when you get there. do you have a digital camera? take it with you and take photos of weird canadian things/people or arty shorts.

are you staying with your boyfriend? ask him (or someone else- even someone at the bus stop, hehehe) how to use the bus- or even get him to take you on a trial run/demonstration of how it works on his next day off. i have mastered using the bus here in brampton (and all the way into missisauga... eeek!!!), and it makes a big difference- i've got so brave now, that i can go to one of about 5 malls, the video store, and the library, all on my own! (don't laugh, its scary stuff for me, wandering around a city in canada on my own, hehehe!). one day, i'm gonna take a bus all the way to toronto, then the underground, then the trams. then i'll work on taking over the world.

have you visited the nepean museum yet? apparently they have an exibition on seeds and jewellery on at the minute. looks kinda sorta possibly more interesting than another day spent watching daytime tv!

http://www.nepeanmuseum.on.ca/events.htm

ps: if you go out, take a key, a phone number for your bf or someone else who you know locally, and two 25 cent coins for using in a payphone, incase you get a teeny bit lost and need rescuing. its not likely, but good to be prepared! canadians are very friendly... go mingle amongst them for a bit.
#587 Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm bored, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#588 Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Hoodedclawjen, thanks for the advice =) I'm at a mall right now, it's a 30 minutes walk from home but it's still better than lounging all day. Unfortunately we're far from downtown...I'll check this museum though, thanks for the link! The only problem with the bus here is that you have to pay 2 dollars per ride, so I use it when I need to but -don't mean to sound cheap here- it adds up reaaaaally fast :/. Good it's there though because it's pretty convenient. Unfortunately my boyfriend isn't from here either so we're both discovering the area and we have no friends here. I'm planning on making some sometime =P (yeah in fact if any of you guys live in Ottawa, feel free to PM me or TheFirstBus).

There's still a lot to discover I'm sure, I just have to figure out what to begin with. Or just go to a random place to see what's going on there, I might have a good surprise!
#589 Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkoon View Post

Hoodedclawjen, thanks for the advice =) I'm at a mall right now, it's a 30 minutes walk from home but it's still better than lounging all day. Unfortunately we're far from downtown...I'll check this museum though, thanks for the link! The only problem with the bus here is that you have to pay 2 dollars per ride, so I use it when I need to but -don't mean to sound cheap here- it adds up reaaaaally fast :/. Good it's there though because it's pretty convenient. Unfortunately my boyfriend isn't from here either so we're both discovering the area and we have no friends here. I'm planning on making some sometime =P (yeah in fact if any of you guys live in Ottawa, feel free to PM me or TheFirstBus).

There's still a lot to discover I'm sure, I just have to figure out what to begin with. Or just go to a random place to see what's going on there, I might have a good surprise!

When are you coming to Montreal?

I thought that you were already here.
#590 Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_uncle View Post

When are you coming to Montreal?

I thought that you were already here.

As soon as we find a place and jobs. We have a few places to visit, and we're waiting for our ride to Montreal. Can't wait to be there...
#591 Old 10-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

palmerston rings a bell. it's northwest of here i think?

$2 for a busride is pretty reasonable. that's what it is here but last time i took a bus in the GTA i think it was up to $2.75

i take the bus now and then but we have 4 routes. seriously. it's usually easier and often faster to just walk

~Miyavi "Torture"
#592 Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

^^^ yeah, its $2.75 here. but you can get a transfer (torn bit of paper) from the bus driver, which you can use to get on other buses, including those of neighbouring transit systems, within the next two hours. if i time it right, i can get a pretty long way, on various buses, for that price.
#593 Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/200...odfeature2.php

Without getting into the finer points of the Rastafarian Ital diet, the edicts of Leviticus and whether you should eat fish more than 12 inches long, let it be said that if you are a vegetarian, a vegan or just not in the mood for jerk when walking along Eglinton West, you can step into Strictly Ital for some tasty animal-product-free Caribbean comfort food. Owner Richard Everton, who hails originally from Guyana, has been selling his Island vegetarian fare for just over a year.
#594 Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

^^^ yeah, its $2.75 here. but you can get a transfer (torn bit of paper) from the bus driver, which you can use to get on other buses, including those of neighbouring transit systems, within the next two hours. if i time it right, i can get a pretty long way, on various buses, for that price.

no kidding. i used to live in mississauga and bus to school in oakville every day. it was a 2 hour ride each way. i bought tickets from each city and used transfers to hop from one to the other. i would have just used passes to save money but because i was getting on oakville bus to get home it worked out better to get tickets for each. i spent i think about $90/month on transit tickets. not bad really compared to the cost of a car and gas.

what a long crappy ride though. hubby was going to school in brampton so he had the same distance to go too. i quickly learned how to a-wake up before my stops and b-stand on a crowded bus without spilling my coffee.

~Miyavi "Torture"
#595 Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
no kidding. i used to live in mississauga and bus to school in oakville every day. it was a 2 hour ride each way. i bought tickets from each city and used transfers to hop from one to the other. i would have just used passes to save money but because i was getting on oakville bus to get home it worked out better to get tickets for each. i spent i think about $90/month on transit tickets. not bad really compared to the cost of a car and gas.

what a long crappy ride though. hubby was going to school in brampton so he had the same distance to go too. i quickly learned how to a-wake up before my stops and b-stand on a crowded bus without spilling my coffee.

urgh- it doesn't sound fun spending 4 hours a day on the bus every day. i think i'd go insane!

i take buses from the far side of brampton over to square one mall quite often, and use my brampton transfer to get on missisauga transit- who give me a new transfer when i get on their bus... i reckon if i kept going i could probably get into toronto if i was brave enough! an equivelent bus trip taken where i'm from in the UK would cost me *does math and conversion* at least $8 each way.

now, if i could only persuade an employer to give me a british wage convered into CA$ when i get a job here.... that'd be just wonderful, hehehe.
#596 Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah it was pretty awesome at the same time though. cause poor college kids like we were could go spend a saturday afternoon roaming downtown toronto quite easily and cheaply (unless we actually needed to eat or anything while there, yeesh)

i quite miss the GTA actually. i moved from an almost all-white community with 2 languages (english and french) to Mississauga, what a culture shock. and then back to an almost all-white community. bleh. it seems so boring now in comparison. at least we get busloads of tourists to gawk at all summer

~Miyavi "Torture"
#597 Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

yeah... i've been in brampton for 14 months now, and the culture shock still hasn't left me... i'm from a small town in rural england, i think the only people there of any other ethnic origin than my own, were the folks running the indian and chinese takeaways.

the gta is full of extremes from my familiar little drizzly weathered, winding country roaded, hippy populated, and green field filled corner of the world. your weather freaks me out.. your massive million lane roads scare me... wow, i'm a wuss, hehehe. at least the locals are mainly friendly .
#598 Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM

can anyone req a vegan friendly hotel in TO? Thanks!!
#599 Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkoon View Post

Unfortunately we're far from downtown...I'll check this museum though, thanks for the link!

Yes, nobody tells you that Nepean is not quite in Ottawa. I made the same ugly discovery myself, but will be moving to the market soon.

When in Ottawa try 'So Good' Chinese at 717 Somerset West (b/w Arthur and Bell), there is a huge veg section on the menu. I tried the green beans, veg in black bean garlic sauce and hot & sour soup - all great.
#600 Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/tor...b3d2d6&k=25293

Manic Coffee 426 College St. (416) 966-3888 www.maniccoffee.com

Across the table, the owner of a soy chai latte ($3.75) is falling in love with it and offers up his oversized vegan pumpkin cookie ($2.50) to make up for the so-so hot chocolate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page