Ontario - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-18-2003, 08:58 PM

Thunder Bay is basically the opposite of Veg*n friendly; Sure we have Chinese restauraunts and stuff that serve the odd meat-free dish, but basically this city was founded on traping fur and hunting moose. Recently the big Spring Bear Hunt contraversy was the Biggest news here- apparently billions of dollars were lost in their industry- LOL. Anyways in general; my city is VERY unfriendly towards anyone who doesn't drive a pick up, hunt , play hockey or start drunken street brawls- The rumours you may of heard about the "Lake-head" are all true. I need to save my pesos and move away form here, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Well that sucks. Where would you like to move vegan_cannibal?
#33 Old 05-19-2003, 07:36 PM

Yup you've gotta love Thunder Bay. Two years there was more than enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Where do you live now jenangelcat?
#35 Old 05-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Jenangelcat: I just found out from the other thread that you're in Ottawa. Cool. Have you ever been to the Green Door or the Table?
#36 Old 05-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

oops almost forgot about this thread

skarlett i'm in sw ontario too and haven't found a vegan margarine in grocery stores. only thing i can suggest is what's already been mentioned, Earth Balance etc, from health food stores. i'm going to pick some up tomorrow i think

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#37 Old 05-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Excuse me, but would one of you care to move to Nova Scotia so there'd be more than one post there ... LOL
#38 Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 PM

when I'm ready to move outta my miserable city, I'd like to pick somewhere warm year round- maybe Vanc. Isle. or if I feel like leaving Canada I would take up in guatamala or somewhere cheap, apperently it's a good place to retire maybe that's what I'll do
#39 Old 05-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Beginner

I can't wait to it really be spring out there....I mean today isn't bad but I want to wear shorts!

And eat fresh tomatoes from my garden...when will it be warm...

may be I'll meet you on Vancouver Island...I absolutely love it out there but its a little out of my current price range...right now southern ontario will have to do..

Hey Ottawa girls...I'm heading up there for Canada day...I love all the restaurants you were discussing...my aunt in Ottawa is vegan and we also go in for that buffet..so yummy.

Just nice to feel slightly closer to the vegans of the world knowing that you live atleast in my province.
#40 Old 05-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

you can tell it's spring around here. the smell of manure in the air and twice as many trucks on the road with cattle and pigs for cargo

~Miyavi "Torture"
#41 Old 05-30-2003, 10:01 PM

Hey you ontario veggies...

What kind of stuff are you getting into up tehre...

In my opinion me living in buffalo I'd be abel to network and stuff better with ontarioans than US stuff... Since I can see Ft Erie from my backyard and all...
#42 Old 05-31-2003, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I want sunshine!!!! It's been raining too much. Of course the grass looks nice and green but I want sunshine. I went to two weddings this weekend and last and it poured for both. Ahh!!!

Another topic: Does anyone ever camp?

I love Algonquin park.
#43 Old 06-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

my brother works at a summer camp in algonquin park most summers, it's a beautiful area. haven't camped there yet myself. have a few bike races this summer that i'll be campin out for. they're 24 hour endurance races, we get a campsite to set up and those of us not racing stay at the site and help out the racers between laps. it's fun. also interesting to see what the human body is like after 40 hours without sleep. one race is at Kelso in Milton, one is at Hardwood Hills, one is at Albion. all nice areas

hey i have an unrelated question. anyone know if OHIP covers naturopathic clinics and such?

~Miyavi "Torture"
#44 Old 06-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

That's really awesome Lady Faile. Camping there is wonderful, I've only been once and it's where my husband proposed. We hiked about 3 hours to get to the campsite but it was beautiful on a very private lake.

To answer your unrelated question, I doubt it but private insurance might. OHIP doesn't even cover travel visits or wart removals ( I work at a medical clinic) Let me know what you find out. It's too bad that there isn't more of an emphasis on preventative medicine.
#45 Old 06-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Hey my Ontario Vegans!

No OHIP does not cover Naturopaths. Most private plans cover up to a set amount each year. But even those often don't cover any of the things (herbs, vitamins etc) that you Naturopath might suggest.

Hey LF I live pretty close to Milton so its cool that you will be racing there.
#46 Old 06-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

whereabouts are you? last year we lived right where mississauga, brampton, oakville and milton meet. we were just inside mississauga, about 5 minutes drive from each of the other cities.

~Miyavi "Torture"
#47 Old 06-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the OHIP info. i've been having a tough time finding a doc around here so i was hoping if naturopaths were covered i could go that route instead. i'd prefer it and there are tons of them in town. but we don't have insurance yet until my bf gets hired onto his job full time, and at the moment we're not even sure if he'll still have a job in two weeks. they're doing some layoffs but might keep a couple of the temps and hire them fulltime so he's hoping. and so am i. $5/hour raise plus full health benefits including dental and even massage therapy. how sweet would that be

~Miyavi "Torture"
#48 Old 06-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Beginner

I will certainly keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

I actually live in Guelph now although I grew up in Oakville.
#49 Old 06-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey AuroraLily, I grew up about a half-hour drive from Algonquin Park, in Huntsville. Ive been to the park more times than I can remember, doing everything from day hikes to week-long solo canoe trips in the more northern areas. Between my parents who are outdoor enthusiasts, and my high school with their beginning of the year outtrips, Ive spent a decent amount of my life in the bush. Just writing about it is bringing back great memories.

LadyFaile, what camp does your brother work at? A good friend of mine has a family cottage on Canoe Lake, and spent many of his summers as a camper and then later a councilor at Camp Ahmek.
#50 Old 06-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

he bounces around. it's the caterer for the camps he actually works for, so it depends on where they need him each year. he started off at Tamakwa, did a summer at New Moon, and umm oh i don't remember the name of the other one. i'll ask next time i talk to him.

kids know him as the freaky kitchen guy who screeches for no reason and chases them with utensils. he's an odd duck. though at the camp it's partly due to sleep deprivation i think.

~Miyavi "Torture"
#51 Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Shamus: My grandfather was born in Huntsville. I visited there with my family about 8 years ago. Nice little town. You're so lucky to have the park so close by. Where do live now?
#52 Old 06-09-2003, 02:47 PM

i was in TO over the weekend and i'd just like everyone to know that i'm feeling okay today.
#53 Old 06-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I"m glad to here that Raine. What's in like in TO these days? Are people wearing masks, talking about it or just going about their lives as usual?
#54 Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM

I didn't see one person wearing a mask and we went to a club at Spadina & College - right around China town. Everyone seemed really relaxed about it. The club was at its max capacity and there were people lined up outside waiting to get in.

I foster cats and right now the kitten season is hitting us hard. Is there anyone here that is interested in adopting a cat? This is my third time posting this link on the VB, but persistance is a virtue . I know most of us are living in homes over-run with furry friends, but think about it and recommend us to your friends. Make every second question you ask today, tomorrow, etc. be "are you interested in adopting a cat?" THANKS.

C.A.T.S.
#55 Old 06-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

Shamus: My grandfather was born in Huntsville. I visited there with my family about 8 years ago. Nice little town. You're so lucky to have the park so close by. Where do live now?

I currently live in Kingston. I came here in 1998 to go to school. I hope to move in the next few years, when my fi finds her career job.

Whats your Grandfathers name, if you dont mind my asking?
#56 Old 06-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I foster cats and right now the kitten season is hitting us hard. Is there anyone here that is interested in adopting a cat? This is my third time posting this link on the VB, but persistance is a virtue . I know most of us are living in homes over-run with furry friends, but think about it and recommend us to your friends. Make every second question you ask today, tomorrow, etc. be "are you interested in adopting a cat?" THANKS.

I wish I had more space where I currently live, then I could say yes.
#57 Old 06-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Shamus: My grandfather's name was Neville Onyett. He lived ther with his 3 brothers and sister and parents. His father was a roofer. The sister's family still lives there.

What are you studying in Kingston?
#58 Old 06-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

Shamus: My grandfather's name was Neville Onyett. He lived ther with his 3 brothers and sister and parents. His father was a roofer. The sister's family still lives there.

What are you studying in Kingston?

Hmm, I dont know that family. My father might though. I swear he knows everyone in town.

I just graduated with a BA in Geography. I plan to be a stay-at-home father though, after which I would like to get into furniture making.
#59 Old 06-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Shamus: I'll try to find out my great grandparents names.

Congratulations on your graduation. I think that's awesome about being a stay-at-home father. All the psychology research that I've read states nothing but positive benefits for all involved: children, mother and father. Enjoy it. Huntsville seems like a great town to raise a family.
#60 Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

ok you all need to check this out. too funny!!!

http://www.shadfly.com/index.html

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page