Ontario - Page 15 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#421 Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Any body interested in Camping in Ontario, Canada which is meant only for vegetarians/Vegans please join

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegetariancamping/

This is tentatively decided for 22nd July 2006 and 29th July 2007.

You can send in your name, email, contact numbers with short descritption as why you want to join vegetarian camping.

Send your response to [email protected] or post message to yahoo group.

Note: It is only for Vegetarians/Vegans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 Old 07-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

hey for anyone in the Stratford area, it looks like a veg*n (from the looks of their menu it's all vegan) restaurant has opened up. it's called VegOut and is on Erie. i'm not sure where exactly, i haven't gone yet but plan to this week hopefully. it might be takeout only, not sure. anyway i picked up a flyer at Sputnik (vegan friendly coffeeshop downtown if you haven't gone yet you MUST go in and get a soy mocha latte!) it's got their entire menu on it. faux: chicken salad! drumsticks! tuna! chicken caesar salad!!!! i really can't wait to go check it out. they have smoothies too

we need more places like this, please go support them if you can. and their prices are cheap!

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#423 Old 07-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Hello I'm a fellow vegan moving from Australia to Toronto or thereabouts in the new year, so thought i'd pop into some forums and find out about Canadian vegan life.. always bit spookey introducing yourself.. specially when youre an out of towner... ooh thunder in the skies outside roll on my big move...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#424 Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Beginner

Lady Faile:

A veg restaurant in Stratford was really needed! all those tourists coming through to see plays, and nowhere to get a good meal. Once you've found out about it for sure (whether it's veg or just veg-friendly), can you email TVA and let them know about it so they can add it to their veg directory. [email protected]

You can see an online version of their directory at www.veg.ca/directory
#425 Old 07-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

i went in the other day, sorry i forgot to come back and post lol. i didn't eat cause silly me i ate before i left the house. i got a smoothie though, they only have 3 choices but she recommended the strawberry banana, it was really good

they have CHICKEN BALLS!!!!! i'm so going back there to eat. maybe tomorrow.

anyway i asked at the counter, everything is vegan

it's where Menrui used to be, so it's really tiny and not air conditioned. there's a patio outside though if you don't mind that it's on a busy street. there's more room to eat out there and it gets pretty hot inside the building. they redecorated it nicely though

i'll add it to that site, thanks

~Miyavi "Torture"
#426 Old 07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

hi, i wonder if someone could help me please!

i've been spending a lot of time in ontario over the last 2 years- but i'm from england and am still learning and discovering lots about canada. about a year and a half ago i found these really nice frozen veggie sausages in my local small sobeys- i think they were called 'nutri-cusine (or similar) country style sausages' made by a company from quebec, i think.

anyway, they were really nice, tvp/soy mince based, slightly flavoured, with little squares of red pepper and stuff in them, proper sausage style skins on them, wheat and dairy free too, i believe, and i was so happy to find them....and then they just disapeared without trace.

the sobeys manager just said they couldn't get them any more (no more clues), and i haven't seen them since. i miss them so much! has anyone else seen them? does anyone even know what i'm talking about? does the name sound familiar, or have i got it wrong? i can't find a company website. i'd be so grateful for any suggestions or feedback- especially on where i might be able to find them!

thank you!
#427 Old 07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm i've just recently started seeing german/polish style sausages made by Yves. i tried them, they weren't bad. the Zehr's in Stratford has them, and i've seen them in the A&P in North Bay.

they're like you described and come in 2 flavours that i've seen (i forget what, i think one was spicy)

~Miyavi "Torture"
#428 Old 07-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

thanks- i looked up the yves ones, they look great- but i can't have wheat and yeast, and they contain both, so i guess i'll have to keep looking for the mysterious disappeared brand that i saw last year. i was so pleased to find them, cos its a rare day when ya find something edible in a packet thats vegan, with no wheat and yeast, (amongst other assorted stuff that i can't have) in it. its a total mystery... i wonder, where did they go? *sigh* ah well. thanks for the idea though!

i'm hoping to go to the toronto veg' festival thing thats happening in september, so never know, they might turn up there or something! i'm remaining hopeful- trying, anyway!
#429 Old 07-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

and these have wheat also http://www.lightlife.com/smartdog_gr_brats.html

it's the only other brand i know of that makes them. sorry i hope you find them again, they sound good

~Miyavi "Torture"
#430 Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

lol, i'll find them if it kills me, even if i have to go to quebec and attempt speaking french.
#431 Old 09-10-2006, 10:56 AM

Hello, all.

Suzy, from Mississauga, Ontario.

Canada has

And

Yup.

-suzy-chan^ ^
#432 Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 PM

hey. if anyone goes to the 22nd vegetarian food fair in toronto let me know how it was. I can't go this weekend. I live a couple hours away Hopefully I can go next year.
#433 Old 09-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

i went! it was pretty cool. i've never been to food fair in canada before, and to be honest, i expected it to be bigger than it was, but the quality was there which made up for it. i went on the saturday, it was a bit cold and drizzly, but there was a range of interesting information and displays and workshops and stuff for sale, - including lots of half price cookery books :-) and the atmosphere was really nice overall. oh, and the food tent was gooooooood too, lol. i had a lush (but pretty spicy) channa masala and pilau rice and a few pakoras, and my non-veggie bf was very impressed by the fake shrimp and veggie dim sum. i dunno what else to say, really.
#434 Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I went too! I really enjoyed it. It was our first time there. hoodedclawjen, I think we ate at the same indian place and had the same combo.
#435 Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
hoodedclawjen, I think we ate at the same indian place and had the same combo.

:-) lol, that indian meal was good, but it was certainly warming.
#436 Old 09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I went too! I really enjoyed it. It was our first time there. hoodedclawjen, I think we ate at the same indian place and had the same combo.

That makes three of us. Man was that good.

The vegan Jamaican patties were a treat too.

Yeah, the TVFF was the same as it ever was. I went a few times in the past, probably around 1993 to 1997 (I never really kept track) so it's been a while. The internet has made information and products much more readily available so I guess I didn't feel as big a need as I did back then.

I went Sunday and the weather was fan-bloody-tastic.

I didn't have much time to check it out and I was heading to Center Island for the Virgin Music Festival (or the Corporate Whores Festival or The Market Directly to the 20-to 34-year-old Demographic Festivalgreat music, but I felt like a walking dollar sign the entire time) so I couldn't have grabbed much if I tried 'cos no way am I carrying groceries around with me all day.

Next year I'm going to make a day of it and spend lots and to bring home.

Of course, the people running the stalls at the TVFF all saw me as a walking dollar sign too I'm sure, but I'd MUCH rather give them my money that Richard Branson. Like he needs more.

I saw him yesterday, actually. He's shorter that I expected.

Cheers!

TJ
#437 Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 AM

I was part of the Wild At Heart booth at the fair. The weather sucked, but the fair itself was awesome. We met so many wonderful veggies. And the food! Curry puffs from King's Cafe! Most enjoyable.
#438 Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM

I was there on Friday afternoon, and then volunteering most of the day Saturday. You meet some very interesting people while handing out FF guides...

Anyone go to the corn stand? Oh my, that was some good corn (very popular, too). And after having one of those tofu drumsticks from Vegetarian Haven I really need to go to the restaurant.
#439 Old 09-19-2006, 11:50 AM

hey people.....I just found out that National Vegetarian Day is on Oct. 1st...does anyone know if theres anything going on in the kitchener/waterloo area???
#440 Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

I was part of the Wild At Heart booth at the fair. The weather sucked, but the fair itself was awesome. We met so many wonderful veggies. And the food! Curry puffs from King's Cafe! Most enjoyable.

I was at that booth for a while (looking for Ida). My husband bought some Starburst.
#441 Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 PM

Hey everyone,

I live in Toronto, and my BF's birthday is coming up. We're going out to dinner with some friends, (me being the only Veghead) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good restauant to go to, where we'll all be able to eat. They really want Seafood but I don't want to be stuck with a side salad. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
#442 Old 09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, everyone is able to eat at a vegan restaurant, but I know that's not what you meant.

What about a place like Maggie's? www.maggies.ca
#443 Old 09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Chinese always seems to work for mixed company. You could take him to the corner of Dundas and Spadina, blindfold him and have him stick a finger out, spin him around, and go to whichever restaurant he ends up pointing at. It could be a new tradition.
#444 Old 09-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Or Dundas and Bathurst... three vegetarian Chinese restaurants in one block!
#445 Old 09-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, I've never heard of Maggies, but there menu looks delicious and the blind folding and picking is a cute/fun idea too! Thanks, I think I have a good clue to what we'll do.
#446 Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Beginner

The Toronto Vegetarian Association has a new youth group!

There are two aspects to the youth group:

1. We hold networking/info sharing sessions to give people in high school and university a chance to offer support and share ideas about running a vegetarian/animal rights group at one's school.

2. We have monthly educational and social events for vegetarians and those interested in vegetarianism. These events are held in the GTA, and are designed for people aged 16-20. Examples of events include cooking classes, discussion panels, speakers, and poetry workshops. We've dubbed these events "V-Dot, Toronto's Vegetarian Youth"

We'd love to hear feedback about the group and are very open to suggestions. We're here for you, so use us!

Our first V-Dot event:

WHEN: Wednesday, October 18th, 6:30-9:30pm

WHAT: This theme of this one is “Vegetarian Self-Defence”. It will be a discussion about answering stupid questions regarding vegetarianism followed by a fun movie. Free vegan snacks will be provided!

RSVP: or get more info (such as location) by emailing [email protected] or calling (416) 544 - 9800
#447 Old 11-11-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

The Toronto Vegetarian Association has a new youth group!

There are two aspects to the youth group:

1. We hold networking/info sharing sessions to give people in high school and university a chance to offer support and share ideas about running a vegetarian/animal rights group at one's school.

2. We have monthly educational and social events for vegetarians and those interested in vegetarianism. These events are held in the GTA, and are designed for people aged 16-20. Examples of events include cooking classes, discussion panels, speakers, and poetry workshops. We've dubbed these events "V-Dot, Toronto's Vegetarian Youth"

We'd love to hear feedback about the group and are very open to suggestions. We're here for you, so use us!

Our first V-Dot event:

WHEN: Wednesday, October 18th, 6:30-9:30pm

WHAT: This theme of this one is Vegetarian Self-Defence. It will be a discussion about answering stupid questions regarding vegetarianism followed by a fun movie. Free vegan snacks will be provided!

RSVP: or get more info (such as location) by emailing [email protected] or calling (416) 544 - 9800

Really? that's cool. I may join, since I live in Mississauga....

Last year, my F.S. (Family Studies) teacher was very critical about me being a vegetarian. I don't like her very much, either... -.-'

And I said I was a vegetarian because of my religion. Which is not true. I'm a vegetarian because I want to help save animals that are dying all over the world, now.

Poor chickens...
#448 Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Ugh, that's annoying when adults think they know everything and use their positions of authority to back up their incorrect info. Sometimes it works well to present people with facts. Some good fact sheets on veg nutrition or a Why Vegan booklet might shut her up.

I sent you a msg about the Toronto Vegetarian Association's upcoming event. Let me know if you'd like more info.
#449 Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Beginner

The Toronto Vegetarian Association Youth Group Presents.....

Documentry and Poetry Night

Featuring "The Witness" and a workshop with poet Jill Binder

The Witness: An amazing documentary about the journey of one man to

bring compassion into his life and hope to suffering animals.

OPEN TO ALL HIGH SCHOOL AGED YOUTH

DELICIOUS VEGAN FOOD PROVIDED

When: Friday, December 1st, 2006

5:30pm-8:00pm

Where: Ursula Franklin Academy

146 Glendonwynne Rd

(Bloor and Runnymede)

Just North of Runnymede Station

RSVP: youth (@) veg.ca OR (416) 544 - 9800
#450 Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

hey all, i live in WELLAND .. just outside of NIAGARA FALLS. any good restaurants or recommended stores?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page