Ontario - Page 13 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#361 Old 10-15-2005, 03:46 PM

PLEASE help with the names of a few places where a vegan can eat around the Stratford area. Next weekend I am going to the Stratford Festival with a new boyfriend who may not understand what it means that I am 18 years vegan -- I am nervous about finding food to eat from Friday through Sunday and I do not want to give the impression that veganism is difficult. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTanner View Post

I'm looking for good places in S. Ontario to buy good vegan shoes. I'm not too much into big skate shoes so macbeth's and signature vans aren't really my thing. I'm mostly looking for hightops or thin material sneakers ala Converse... only sweatshop free. London area, Toronto, Hamilton, Niagra Falls, Waterloo/Kitchers/Brantford. I'm in all of those places in the next month or 2 so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Left Feet in Toronto has really nice shoes but they are expensive.
#363 Old 11-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, lots of people have been suggesting left feet to me. I suppose if you spend another 20 bucks onshipping for shoes it won't make a whole lot of difference anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#364 Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbear View Post

I moved to Windsor five months ago and want to know if anyone knows of any good alternative stores or vegan restaurants. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there. I currently live in Windsor as well. While I'm not sure about the vegan options I know of a few vegetarian (or very vegetarian friendly) places you can check out.

World Marathon

It's an ethopian place. I can't remember the exact address but its on University and Oullette (I think).

Bubi's Awesome Eats

620 University Avenue West,

It's a western style food place, hamburgers and stuff, almost everything made with beef is made with fake meat as well. Very veg friendly.

Mini Restaurant

475 University Avenue West

Korean I think

OM Foods

3200 Sandwich Street

A small take out indian place. Only vegetarian food choices.

Chanoso's Restaurant

255 Ouellette Avenue,

A fancy western style noodle house I guess.

That's all I can think of right now, I'll try and add some more later. Keep in mind that most of these places are not strictly vegetarian. With the exception of Om Foods, I have not found a veg*n only place in windsor yet.

Also. For shopping, I haven't found any good place to shop yet. My advice is Superstore (way down on Walker by the SilverCity), Bulk Barn (there is one on Walker as well), and then just trying to find a cheap farmers market for vegetables. I usually go to Joseph's Farmers Market, which is a decent place. You can find it on Tecumseh and California ave.

Anyway. Good luck.
#365 Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 PM

I'm in Windsor too.

#366 Old 11-10-2005, 08:37 AM
PCM

Hey that's great!

So, do you know of any places that I missed? I've only been in Windsor for a year and a few months so I'm still pretty new.
#367 Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 PM

There's a great restaurant downtown called Terra Cotta that handmakes pizzas and they have a non-dairy cheese option that's delicious.

Other than that most of the good places you mentioned already.

Are you in Windsor at the University?
#368 Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I live in North Western Ontario, Thunder Bay to be exact. I am originally from a small town 2 hours away called Atikokan...a town that is so unvegan friendy that you can't even buy soy milk there.

I just wanted to hey to everyone though, so "hey."
#369 Old 12-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

re:eating in Stratford

heh. welcome to the pork capital my friend. how i ended up living here i do not know. there are surprisingly a lot of vegans in strat but surprisingly few vegan-friendly restaurants.

there are no vegetarian restaurants but there are some that you can get by at..

Swiss chalet has a great veggieburger. i'm not sure if it's 100% vegan but it's close and it's damn good (same one they serve at Harvey's) and the fries are not half bad.

for a proper meal, try Kelsey's, i think their pastas are egg-free (ask to be sure but i've had them so i think they are) if there isn't a pasta dish on the menu without dairy just ask and they can make you one. there was a rainbow pasta with chunky marinara on the lunch menu that's pretty good. avoid the veggie burger at ALL costs. tastes like cardboard, 3 bites and you're full, and sick for 3 days after. ick. bf and i usually share a bruschetta with the feta on the side for him (remember to ask for no parmesan too or they'll load it up) but i'm not sure if they use butter on the bread.. the fries are good though.

there's also a Subway for a quick lunch, and a pizza hut. always options there though not anything spectacular.

but... what you really wanna do is go downtown to Gene's, it's a chinese restaurant and man oh man. ask for the vegetarian singapore noodles and tell them you're vegan, they know what it means. and it's not on the menu but they will also do up some sweet and sour deep fried tofu if you ask. it's really good even if you don't normally like tofu, it's not really oily and mushy like most places. they have other veg options but those are the only 2 dishes i ever get cause they're so damn good

their prices are reasonable and the one waiter is...

also if you don't mind paying through the nose check out Pazzo (across the street from Gene's) but go downstairs (upstairs is all classy and junk so they only serve like veal and stuff like that. bleh) to the pizza/bar room. you can order pizza by the topping or pick one off a menu (cheaper), they allow substitutions and you can get whole wheat crust. just let them know it's a dairy "allergy" and they'll be careful not to get cheese anywhere near it. but heads up: don't get roasted garlic as a topping. it's whole cloves. and while very tasty, made me rather sick to my stomach the next day their pasta is made with egg.

those are pretty much the only places i go to but if you need more ideas let me know.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#370 Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
heh. welcome to the pork capital my friend. how i ended up living here i do not know. there are surprisingly a lot of vegans in strat but surprisingly few vegan-friendly restaurants

I'd like to meet these Stratford Vegans. I know of ONE. It's frustrating not having anybody to talk to in person with this and nobody to share vegetarian/vegan secrets about different stores and products in Stratford. Know what I mean?
#371 Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah i only know OF them, i don't really know any personally. but any time i tell someone i'm vegan they're always like "my sister/friend/girlfriend/cousin/roommate/etc is vegan"

unless they're all talking about the same person

maybe it's me! wait no. maybe it's you!

(i'm tired)

~Miyavi "Torture"
#372 Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Haha LadyFaile. Your kinda funny. It's definately not me, nobody knew of my gradual vegetarianism (now gradual veganism).. and I'm not really one yet because I can't be - parents orders.
#373 Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Hi,

I am looking for veg*n roommates in Toronto. I am vegan and have been for 8 years and would ideally like to live with other veg*ns. I am looking for either Jan or Feb move in. If anyone knows of ppl who are looking for a roommate, or need a roommate please let me know.

Many thanks,

John
#374 Old 12-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

is there anyone in the cobourg port hope area.

i would like to talk to someone who is a veg. because i dont know anyone here that is. pm me.
#375 Old 12-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Im in Scarborough, is anyone there
#376 Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Veggie household in the Annex at Bathurst and Harbord. There are still a few rooms for rent at $500/month inc. utilities, laundry, and wireless internet.

Have a look at this craigslist posting for more information, and some pictures!

http://toronto.craigslist.org/roo/122959143.html
#377 Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

hELP! Soy rice bowls1 What r they called!?

ah! When I lived in Toronto I could buy them everywhere.You add water to your bowl and its the most delicious soy protien and rice bowls in different flavours.They also make salad 'crunchies' out of soy protien.

Can a Toronto person help me find the name of this company so I am can order a case.

Its ALL I crave right now and I cant find them in Vancouver!
#378 Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Beginner

Soy Rice Bowls.... There are usually on the higher shelf in the produce aisle that is closest to the veggie deli slices and tofu. Are they uner the Yves brand? Or So Soya! I think it's So Soya!

This is the link for the So Soya bowls I'm thinking of: http://www.sosoyaplus.com/2products_instant_meals.htm

This is the link for the order form on their site: http://www.sosoyaplus.com/order_form.htm

They should really pay me for advertising for them. Payment by way of free food would be nice I'd like to try their instant rice and noodle bowls, but somehow paying over $2/bowl seem like too much for me. It's not nutritious enough to deserve that price.
#379 Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM

Hey! My name is Marc and I'm from London, Ontario. Once my boots are replaced, I should be officially vegan, if there is such a thing. I've been a vegetarian for around 7 1/2 years and no dairy or other animal foods for at least 6. To be honest, I never really kept track of the dates because I never even knew about terms like vegan, fruitarian, etc. I just did what I felt was right in my heart. I'm still learning about the clothing aspects. I think the idea of this website is great since it's rare that I meat vegetarians in the real world.

Anywho....... greetings!
#380 Old 01-29-2006, 09:56 PM

hey Marc!

I'm in Windsor, but will be visiting London in a couple weeks.

Do you know of any vegan restaurants in town?
#381 Old 01-31-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

hey Marc!

I'm in Windsor, but will be visiting London in a couple weeks.

Do you know of any vegan restaurants in town?

Hi Luthien!,

I've never ate at one, but I was told there is one called Zen Gardens or a name like that. I'm pretty sure that's the name though, or Buddhist Gardens. I wish I knew more to help out better! Ahhh.... I mostly eat at home, that's why. Eating out is so hard to do most of the time.

I hope you like London!
#382 Old 01-31-2006, 12:40 AM

There is a store here called Lyn-Dys (on Oxford Street) that sells all organic food and supplies. Lots of vegetarian things to get. The people there are extremely nice and helpful. That's where I learned of the restaurant. You should stop by it when you are here.
#383 Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 AM

Marc - thanks for the suggestions!
#384 Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Marc - thanks for the suggestions!

My pleasure!
#385 Old 02-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Hey everyone,

My name is Crystal and I have been a vegetarian for 8 years (i am now 20). This is my first time using this messagebord so im just here to introduce myself. I dont have any friends who are vegetarian, nor do i have any friends who care about the enviroment or animal rights, as I do. I am always surrounded by people and yet, most of the time, I feel so lonely. So I am here, looking for like-minded people who believe that it is wrong to eat meat. Furtheremore, i want to be a vegan, and i've tried, but my family, my boyfriend, and my friends dont support it and its a very hard transition to do on my own. So I am looking for other vegans who can help me down the path, or other vegetarians who want to make the transition with me. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or find me on MSN
LL
LL
#386 Old 02-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i think it's called Zen Vegetarian Garden, it's downtown, on dundas i think. i could be wrong. haven't been there yet but i drove past it like 3 times a couple weeks ago when i was in london.

there's also one right across the street from coven garden market called Maggies i think, they serve meat dishes but have a big vegetarian section and a big vegan section on the menu. i ate there once and it was actually really good. nice place. cute waiter

~Miyavi "Torture"
#387 Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 AM

Yes, Zen Gardens is on the corner of Dundas and Waterloo (or right near that corner anyway). Its fantastic, I was just there this last weekend.... I can't wait to go back!
#388 Old 02-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Beginner

Hey all,

veggie_girl (and everyone else)... just wanted to let you know about the groups that are happening in Toronto. www.veg.ca is the website for the Toronto Vegetarian Association. On their website you can find out about lots of different social groups they have. They also have links to some other groups in and around Toronto that have groups.

If you are elsewhere in Toronto, try searching at the local university and fine out if your town/city has a vegetarian association. If there doesn't exist anything already, you can start your own. Advertise at universities, yoga classes, health food stores, adn other places where vegetarians are likely to be.
#389 Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM

Hello; I live in a small town in southeastern ontario, St.Thomas, and I just wanted to know of anyone close by that wanted to help with a Kentucky Fried Cruelty campaigh, thanks =)
#390 Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 PM

Do any of you know of any vegetarian activities or things in the London area?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page