Ontario - Page 11 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#301 Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Beginner

You're in Whitby? I used to live there until I was about 10, then I moved to Peterborough. My dad lives in Oshawa, though. Even though this thread is called "Ontario" I still seem to forget that there are Canadians on this site. It just seems like a very American-dominated site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 Old 06-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I love the veg options at Cosmic Charlie's downtown.

You also have Joanne's Place, which is a kick ass store!

Do I? Wow, thank you. It's kind of sad that I've been living here for six years and the only semi-vegetarian places I know of is Grassroots Cafe on ... Hunter St.? and Cultures. Damn, you're good. You're very good.

Now that I dwell on the thought of vegetarian eateries, I do recall a place by the name of Cosmic Charlies, I just never really knew it was vegetarian.

Do you by any chance know where Joanne's Place is? God, I feel so left in the dark, I've got to be the most unobservant person sometimes.
#303 Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Joanne's Place: 904 Water Street, Peterborough, 705-742-6456

It has a huge selection of vegan and organic stuff. Almost every "alternative" product I've read about, and at better prices than I can get in Ottawa.

Cosmic Charley's is not a vegetarian restaurant, but has several excellent veg selections. My husband likes the "Mee Goreng" dish with tofu and I love the "Singapore Noodles" with tofu (substituting the one kind of noodles for rice noodles.) It is at 170 Charlotte Ave in downtown Peterborough. A few doors down is Stickling's Bakery, http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/about.html which has a small store in it with some veg products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#304 Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I've spent a LOT of time in the margarine aisle.

i know what you mean

EB is about 4 bucks in my HFS. expensive for margarine but not that much money in reality. they even got the whipped one in recently. i buy both now, whipped for spreading (spreads waaaaaaay easier, the regular one tears the bread apart) and the regular for cooking because it's a bit cheaper than the whipped.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#305 Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I've never found EB for cheaper than $4.69 here. That's the regular, not the whipped. At Joanne's Place in Peterborough it was $3.99 so I bought a few when I was there and brought it back with me (this was in the winter when that could be done). That being said, I think it's way healthier than regular margarine, which isn't all that much different than plastic. And since I can actually afford it, I probably shouldn't complain. I'm just very cheap.
#306 Old 06-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Thank you very much, Meatless! You've helped me greatly! I always thought that all that was in Peterborough were the homeless, the cows, a few fields on the outskirts and some hicks. Maybe I'll check out these places after exams tomorrow.
#307 Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad to be able to help. Please let us know what you find!
#308 Old 06-23-2005, 05:56 AM

Hello there,

I'm 23 years old and live just west of Toronto. I've been a vegeterian, since 2002. I have been vegan in the past, but of course, found it very difficult at times.

The only dairy I have on a daily basis is the casein found in my soy cheese slices. Also, I treat my self to a goodie once a week, which likely consists of dairy.

The following is a list of some of the vegetarian items I have on a regular basis. Feel free to post what you eat as well.

-Yves veggie slices, vegetable patties, spicy italian sausauges.

-Soy cheese, Soygurt

-Natura's Soymilk

-Avalon shampoo/conditioner

-Kiss my face soaps

-Jason toothpastes

If any of you went on the Tim Horton's website, you can see that they do have a few vegan products. Oatcakes, low-fat cranberry muffin(contains honey),and their buns.

Kind regards,

Josef
#309 Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Beginner

Hello Josef.

I love Tim Hortons for their heavenly coffee, and I can respect that they do sell some vegan products (probably unknowingly), but the fact that they plop a three-centimetre slice of cream cheese on your bagel (when you ask for cream cheese) still creeps me right out. It's like that time about five years ago when I asked for an iced cappaccino at Country Style and they pulled a jug with a pre-mixed substance inside out of a CUPBOARD. Not a fridge, a CUPBOARD.
#310 Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Hey there V,

Well, Tim Hortons is aware of their few vegan products, as it mentions that on their website. I would assume that you're a vegetarian as well, by the cream cheese you intake from time to time. I agree that they put way too much cream cheese, but I guess they want their customers to not feel as if they're not getting their money's worth. Simply, ask the individual preparing the bagel to put a small amount.

In regards to your Country style situation, that's quite funny and let's hope the cupboard situation doesn't exist any longer.

Do you care to mention any vegetarian items you have on a daily basis?

Kind regards,

Josef
#311 Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Well, I really don't have bagels with cream cheese that often. I'm trying to avoid dairy products as often as possible, however I am FAR from being a pure vegan. I do only drink soy milk (usually Soy Nice in vanilla). Let's see, I don't eat anything that you may not be aware of, I mean I do have an obsession with grapes, but besides that I'm a regular human with cravings (food cravings, that is). Yes, I get the urge to eat cookies and After Eights and chips, and on and on. Despite what you may think, I'm actually quite an unhealthy eater. It's really horrible, but not as horrible as it could be, I suppose.

Also, I just recently became officially vegetarian, so I'm still unsure about where to get vegan cheese, non-leather shoes, etc., etc. But thanks to Meatless, I think I know a few places to check out in the area.
#312 Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Hey, about the Timmy Ho's issue, I just avoid the place on a general basis, but (and I am SO sshamed to say this) the reason I actually joined this board is because last wednesday I walked into work at a Dr's office, and there was one of those party packs of donuts sitting there and I actually ate not one...not two..but three donuts in under three hours.

I don't know what possessed me, but all I could think about for the next three days was the fatty oily lumps sitting in my stomach.

vegan or not it'll be a while before I eat at Timmy ho's again.
#313 Old 06-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Beginner

A coalition of groups worldwide including The Humane Society of the U.S., Animal Alliance (Toronto, Canada), WSPA, Earth Island Institute, PeTA and others are organizing a day of action against Red Lobster restaurants on Saturday June 25th. Red Lobster is one of the biggest buyers of Canadian east-coast fish/seafood. We would like to put pressure on Red Lobster NOT to buy Canadian fish products until the Canadian government stops killing seals on the east coast of Canada. The numbers of young seals being killed has escalated year by year, and this year 300,000 seals were killed - most of them under 2 months old.

Locally, we will be outside the Red Lobster on 6220 Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls on Saturday June 25 from 12 noon till 2:00 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. till 8:00. We will leaflet when possible and have signs available to alert passing traffic and patrons of Red Lobster as to why we are there. its in Niagara falls, if anyone can make it , it be cool.
#314 Old 06-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Christ, that's today! I really wish I could help (I really want to get involved in more events) but I live in Peterborough, I don't have my driver's license and I just found out about this two minutes ago! I feel bad about this...I think I should start putting up posters whenever an issue like this comes up around my hometown and see what reaction it brings (if there's any reaction at all). Well, if it helps, I've never been to Red Lobster and I don't plan on going in the future. I don't like supporting any kind of major corporations, anyways. It makes me feel guilty because they already make so much a day and they're usually the ones responsible for crushing any small business who happens to sell similar products. It makes me sick, actually.

Now I feel like promoting: If anyone's ever in the Peterborough area, and feels like having a coffee, Dreams Of Beans is a small cafe business who makes excellent coffee and treats (my favourite cafe of all time). The Spill is also a great cafe, especially at night time as they play live bands from around the city. Scholar's Books - a great used book store, Blue Streak - An excellent old record store, Titles Bookstore & Titles Lounge - A crookedy, old, fashionable little bookstore and (from the outside) a intimate-looking lounge and Chumleighs - a rundown little used CD and movie shop with surprisingly large selection.

As for the seals issue, well it's obviously disgusting that they do it, and it's obnoxiously greedy. If they really wanted seafood, why do they have to go ahead and hunt more animals then what has already been killed (for the fish industries)? Why don't they just...go to Red Lobster? It's f**ked up, but when you think about it, EVERYTHING is. The fact that there's even a Red Lobster is, and the fact that we are forced to accept that millions upon millions of fish are killed specifically for serving in restaurants like Red Lobster is. Thinking about all of the f**ked up things that are happening at this instant disturbs me beyond words, but there is no way we could possibly prevent them from happening. But, I suppose trying is admirable.

I wish you luck, if anything.
#315 Old 06-26-2005, 11:53 AM

What exactly is D3?
#316 Old 06-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a vitamin that's derived from sheep's wool (lanolin).
#317 Old 06-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Why is the Canadian government killing seals?

Kind regards,

Josef
#318 Old 06-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Beginner

I'm looking for roommates and a place to live in Toronto. I'm vegan, 20, female... If you know of anyone who's looking, or can recommend a good site to find roommates or a place to live, please share!! I already know about craigslist.org and ecoroommates.com
#319 Old 06-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Beginner

for fur
#320 Old 06-27-2005, 01:28 PM

hey, anyone from London?? I'm originally from sault ste. marie, then lived in waterloo for 4 years and am now moving to london in september... anyone know of any good veg*n places there?
#321 Old 07-05-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm from Peterborough Ontario...
#322 Old 07-11-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarinatutu View Post

Christ, that's today! I really wish I could help (I really want to get involved in more events) but I live in Peterborough, I don't have my driver's license and I just found out about this two minutes ago! I feel bad about this...I think I should start putting up posters whenever an issue like this comes up around my hometown and see what reaction it brings (if there's any reaction at all). Well, if it helps, I've never been to Red Lobster and I don't plan on going in the future. I don't like supporting any kind of major corporations, anyways. It makes me feel guilty because they already make so much a day and they're usually the ones responsible for crushing any small business who happens to sell similar products. It makes me sick, actually.

Now I feel like promoting: If anyone's ever in the Peterborough area, and feels like having a coffee, Dreams Of Beans is a small cafe business who makes excellent coffee and treats (my favourite cafe of all time). The Spill is also a great cafe, especially at night time as they play live bands from around the city. Scholar's Books - a great used book store, Blue Streak - An excellent old record store, Titles Bookstore & Titles Lounge - A crookedy, old, fashionable little bookstore and (from the outside) a intimate-looking lounge and Chumleighs - a rundown little used CD and movie shop with surprisingly large selection.

As for the seals issue, well it's obviously disgusting that they do it, and it's obnoxiously greedy. If they really wanted seafood, why do they have to go ahead and hunt more animals then what has already been killed (for the fish industries)? Why don't they just...go to Red Lobster? It's f**ked up, but when you think about it, EVERYTHING is. The fact that there's even a Red Lobster is, and the fact that we are forced to accept that millions upon millions of fish are killed specifically for serving in restaurants like Red Lobster is. Thinking about all of the f**ked up things that are happening at this instant disturbs me beyond words, but there is no way we could possibly prevent them from happening. But, I suppose trying is admirable.

I wish you luck, if anything.

Hah!!!!!!!! I live in Peterborough too
#323 Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulia View Post

You poor things.
#324 Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

You poor things.

Peterborough has the best and cheapest HFS I've seen!
#325 Old 07-13-2005, 08:45 AM

Hi Jags,

I am from London and I live here at the moment, but in September I am going back to school in Kingston. There are several natural food stores and a co-op in London. As for restaurants, I haven't done much searching. I hear that Maggie's is good. It is right downtown on King St.. Other then that there are many Indian and far Eastern restaurants that I am sure have vegan options (I love curry). I have read posts of others who live in London during the school year. Hopefully you can get into contact with them. When you come to London make sure that you make use of the multi-use paths that line the Thames. They are very nice.

Tom
#326 Old 07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulia View Post

Hello! That's awesome!

I don't know whether you're a teenager or not, but if you are, what high school do you go to? It would be super strange if you were wandering the halls of my high school I thought strictly contained materialistic uncultured goons...it would also prove that not everybody is a materialistic uncultured goon!

I still haven't gone to Joanne's Place either, Meatless has told me that it's an excellent place to buy all your veg*n foods. I'm actually just about to go to the Festival Of Lights with my friend to meet a few friends from The Spill. Did you go last week when The Arrogant Worms were playing? That was an amazing show. My mom ended up buying the CD before the end of the night despite the fact that she never even knew who they were beforehand!

As for the quality of Peterborough - it depends. It has it's cool places and it has it's not-so cool places. Meh.
#327 Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytsunami View Post

Hi Jags,

I am from London and I live here at the moment, but in September I am going back to school in Kingston. There are several natural food stores and a co-op in London. As for restaurants, I haven't done much searching. I hear that Maggie's is good. It is right downtown on King St.. Other then that there are many Indian and far Eastern restaurants that I am sure have vegan options (I love curry). I have read posts of others who live in London during the school year. Hopefully you can get into contact with them. When you come to London make sure that you make use of the multi-use paths that line the Thames. They are very nice.

Tom

I live in Kingston Ontario!
#328 Old 07-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Holy crap, that's sweet!

I was sure I'd be the only one from Peterborough on here, but I guess not.

How old are you guys? What do you do for fun?

I'm 16, and am entering Gr. 12 at Crestwood in September.

Anyone from Peterborough, email me ( [email protected] ) if you wanna chat.
#329 Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

It was said before, but since that was threads and threads ago... I'm from Woodstock.
#330 Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
PCM

Just thought I'd say hello.

I'm originally from Alberta, but am now living in Windsor Ontario. I've been here for about a year and will be here for at least 2 more years.

-PCM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page