Bill 37 in Ontario threatens the safety of all animals in abusive situations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

EDIT:Bill withdrawn on March 7th, 2012.

I found this over on reddit: http://redd.it/qcutc

Quote:
The bill includes:
-Repealing the definition of "distress", which is the legal definition on which animal abuse charges is based.
-Removing all penalties for animal abuse violations.
-Stripping the OSPCA of all enforcement powers and abolishing the Animal Care Review Board (which currently hears appeals from people whose animals have been removed by the OSPCA).
-Stopping the OSPCA from removing animals from abusive situations.
-Taking away the OSPCA's authority to order owners to take proper steps to care for their pets (e.g. ordering an owner to provide water, appropriate shelter or veterinary care).
-Removing the legal obligation of veterinarians to report animal abuse.
-The only recourse animals would have would be the Criminal Code of Canada, which is far more difficult to enforce and would be enforced only by police. Concerns include whether all police officers have sufficient specialized knowledge of animal husbandry to recognize distress, whether they have the skills to deal with exotic, dangerous or aggressive animals and whether the police service has enough resources to take on this extra role.
-The OSPCA would be forced to keep animals in their care when their owners are charged with animal abuse. Even if these owners are subsequently convicted, the OSPCA would have to pass on the proceeds of the "sale" of the abused animals to their former owners.
-The OSPCA would not have the option of putting livestock up for adoption - the law would force them to sell horses, cattle, donkeys, pigs etc. at public auctions only.

The bill: http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil..._bill&Intranet
Petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/7/sav...-from-bill-37/

I'm not in Canada so what I can do is limited, but I've been spreading this around so those who do can take action and contact their politicians.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page