How To Start Vegan Business?? (Southwestern Ontario) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to ask incase anybody here would know..

My dream is to have a vegan diner/cake decorating business. I currently have two small children at home and we are trying for baby #3 so I thought if I could get the cake thing up and running while I have them at home then that would be perfect.

How do you really become a professional cake decorator though? I don't want to take the wilton course because it's not vegan and my Mom took and can show me anything they taught her anyway. Vegan courses are expensive and far away, or are online for just cooking at home (like watching the cooking channel or something).

Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing?

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesmom View Post

Hello everybody,

My dream is to have a vegan diner/cake decorating business. I currently have two small children at home and we are trying for baby #3 so I thought if I could get the cake thing up and running while I have them at home then that would be perfect.

How do you really become a professional cake decorator though? I don't want to take the wilton course because it's not vegan and my Mom took and can show me anything they taught her anyway. Vegan courses are expensive and far away, or are online for just cooking at home (like watching the cooking channel or something).

Hi

I don't know if credentials in a vegan catering or baking business are required or helpful, but business planning is very important. I suggest getting in contact with business planning agencies. I know in Toronto, they have business introductory sessions for free or cheap (like up to $45). They also have a food focus in a Toronto based agency who have alot of experienced people on their board. The City of Toronto has a small business site in our city hall as a starting point. I think it's worth it to make a trip or go online to find some info.

And in terms of working from your home with food, you need to check what the requirements are ie. the law, because they have standards for food preparation if you are selling the food you are preparing. Of course some people start online businesses where they teach, and that does not require you to have a "to code" kitchen, so there are many options in today's world.

You'd be amazed at some of the inexpensive help there is out there to start your own business.

All the best! And please keep us posted about your business plans
#3 Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesmom View Post

Hello everybody,

Where are you from in Ontario? I have been seriously thinking about the same thing lately....eventually want to start at home, then work my way up to a Veg*n cafe sort of thing.....

Vegetarian since 1/4/2010

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Near Kitchener/ St. Marys

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
#5 Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM

I am a vegan and trained as a pastry chef. If you are serious about starting a vegan cake decorating business, I strongly suggest taking a course to learn basic techniques/use of various tools of the industry, then veganizing recipes for your own use. Also, laws (aka Health Inspectors) are pretty strict in terms of what you can prepare at home, but one option would be "personal cheffing" where you cook in other people's homes for them, doing up a week's worth of food, etc. I also would recommend McCall's school of cake design in Toronto at Bloor/Kipling, which offers intense courses, many aimed more for the professional, as opposed to the home decorator. Good luck, I hope you succeed....I'd love to do something like that!
#6 Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

you might have a hard time finding resources for that sort of thing in that area. ask around, your best bet is networking. get to know people at your closest health food store and hit them up for info. try Gentle Rain if you're ever in stratford, nice people

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Step 1 - do lots of Research (market, competitors, licenses)
Step 2 - write a Business plan
Step 3- get Funding (investors and/or loans)
Step 4 - open shop/ start business
Step 5 - Work butt off (never see your kids again)
Step 6 - Prosper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page