Animal research - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if this is the right thread but I saw a billboard sign today that said nothing but "Ever Had Leprosy? Thanks to animal research you won't"

Is this a pro animal testing advertisement? What do you think of this? It didn't even have a logo or anything from what group or company it was from. It just made me kind of mad and confused me.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Beginner

That's annoying. It does sound pro animal testing.

It's like that stupid tv commercial "there's something VERY wrong with you if you don't like chicken". Everytime I see it I want to throw something at that woman's head on the tv. So irritating.
#3 Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Beginner

At one point in time, animal research was a nessary evil(one that I've always disagreed with in every way when I discouvered at 9 that they actually did this). They couldn't use humans, becaue that would be just cruel *eye roll*, and the only option left, aside from doing nothing, was to use non-human animals to test medications on.

Now, there really is no justifiable reason to do it. Cheaper methods, that I've read would be just as effective if not even more, exist that are easily accessable by companies. When people talk to me about my veggism, this always comes up, and ignorant people seem to think I'm some sort of lunatic for being fooled into thinking that other ways exist that are safe(which, after they've walked away I always have a good laugh about, because they're the fools for believing that the "traditional" way is keeping unsafe products off the markets).

Ads like this make me feel sick I hope one day soon that animal testing will be found upon by all people, not just veg*ns, and that companies will be required to use newer methods in existance roday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
SPJ
Beginner

Sounds like a pro animal testing sign to me.

I am kind of curious about Vegans who are required to take certain medications.
#5 Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

Sounds like a pro animal testing sign to me.

I am kind of curious about Vegans who are required to take certain medications.

If I didn't take the meds I need I wouldn't be around to protest things like animal testing.
#6 Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't find the sign offensive. I'm more interested as to why anyone felt the need to drum up support for animal testing.
#7 Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Ew. I would be furious if I saw that billboard. That is so ridiculous. I do not understand people who justify animal testing (like my mother, ugh). Like I have posted somewhere else before, animals react differently to certain things and so do we! I always use this example: I once washed my dog with Aveda shampoo. He got an allergic reaction (only itchy skin that went away after I rewashed him) and I use it every day, since I have been born with no allergic reaction. If it had been tested on animals, Aveda wouldn't exist. (Or would it, since the USDA still allows bad meat to go on sale)

P.s Alpaca Guy...I LOVEE your avatar. My waterpolo nickname used to be Llama..well, still is actually haha. They are the cutest things.
#8 Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolabunny23 View Post

I always use this example: I once washed my dog with Aveda shampoo. He got an allergic reaction (only itchy skin that went away after I rewashed him) and I use it every day, since I have been born with no allergic reaction. If it had been tested on animals, Aveda wouldn't exist.

One dog having an allergic reaction to a protein present in a shampoo would have no more of an effect on testing than one person having an allergic reaction to a protein present in a shampoo.
#9 Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Yeah, usually they test the shampoo on more than one animal or human or whatever else they use.

That would be like taking a poll, but only asking one person :P ahahah.

I also disagree with the sign.

p.s. Bertrand Russell quote, niiiiice :P
#10 Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, still. I was just expressing the fact that I do not agree nor do I understand why there STILL needs to be animal testing.
#11 Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

It is without a doubt a pro-animal testing sign. There are some more offensive ones floating about, including a couple that take potshots at animal advocates.

There exist pro-vivisection lobby groups, primarily funded by companies that sell lab animals and animal research equipment. They don't seem to do a ton of social marketing; after all, vivisection enjoys a more or less untouchable acceptance. Maybe a controversy regarding vivisection has emerged in your city--such as a lab being outed for Animal Welfare Act violations or debate over the construction over a new research center.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolabunny23 View Post

Like I have posted somewhere else before, animals react differently to certain things and so do we! I always use this example:

Examples that people use more often are aspirin and chocolate. They can be toxic to dogs in amounts that would be fine for most humans.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine has a list of medications which were tested on animals but had adverse effects in humans.

http://www.pcrm.org/resch/anexp/dangerous_med.html
#14 Old 06-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes there are a few pro animal research groups around. I'm too tired to check out the website

PCRM is like Safer Medicines campaign (formally europeans for medical progress).

That billboard should read something like "because we subjected hundreds (thousands? who knows) of animals to it"
#15 Old 06-21-2009, 03:51 PM

I would be tempted to add some graffitti...

Got thalidomide? Thanks to animal testing you do.
#16 Old 06-21-2009, 03:57 PM

By the way, this little gem adornes our walls at work. One day the glass cabinet in which it resides will be unlocked....and come that day...mwahahahaaaaa.

http://www.swaebr.org/images/LittleGirl_lg.jpg
#17 Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dUSTY_Daze View Post

By the way, this little gem adornes our walls at work. One day the glass cabinet in which it resides will be unlocked....and come that day...mwahahahaaaaa.

http://www.swaebr.org/images/LittleGirl_lg.jpg

"We lost some lab animals but look what we saved." WOW, I don't think I'd be able to show as much restraint as you. I'd put a poster over it, or break in and take it down. It's bad enough they think they "have" to do this garbage, do they REALLY need to promote it???

And the billboards should be "fixed' with some spray paint for sure!
#18 Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

They didn't "lose" some lab animals. They tortured some lab animals for life and then killed them.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

They didn't "lose" some lab animals. They tortured some lab animals for life and then killed them.

Very well put

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page