Question about Cat in The Hat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Arts & Entertainment section, but no one answered. Does anyone know if Mike Meyer's costume in The Cat in The Hat is synthetic or real? I want to see this movie sooo bad because I'm a huge Mike Meyers and Dr. Seuss fan..but I obviously won't give them my money if the fur is real. Anyways, if anyone knows pleeeeease write here...or if you know where I might be able to find this out?? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm highly HIGHLY doubtful that it's real. Real animal fur (besides the ethical implications) is usually quite expensive. For movies, and any other business, they go with the cheapest material thing that does the job to their specifications. I don't work in movies, but I've done a lot of work in the theatre, so I have a bit of background in it.

Also when fur is on clothing, it tends to be in small amounts. Those huge fur-covered coats are all smaller pieces stitched together and even though it's most definitely fur, it certainly doesn't resemble an animal. When they're trying to replicate the caricature of a real animal, they probably wouldn't use that animals actual fur. Just thinking... cats are little, Mike Myers is big. It just wouldn't work to get a bunch of cat skins, throw them together and make a cat costume, and there aren't any real big cats with those particular markings. There are technologies that allow synthetics to be made to look very realistic.

Although I'm not 100% sure, I can't fathom why anyone would use real fur for that costume. It just doesn't make any sense. So if you want to see the movie, I'm sure you can go with your ethics intact.
#3 Old 11-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

I'm guessing, but there are too many reasons to use synthetic over fur in costuming for me to believe it is fur.

Cost, body heat, cleanability, weight of the costume, ARA. Epski, got any ideas here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

I'm guessing, but there are too many reasons to use synthetic over fur in costuming for me to believe it is fur.

Cost, body heat, cleanability, weight of the costume, ARA. Epski, got any ideas here?

Why should epski know. Is he like the super guru who knows everything?

I have no idea but I think it is so cool that someone would boycott a movie over the wearing of furs. What about other stuff? Like what about if they use gelatin in the actual film that runs through the reels?

I think sometimes I should only support movies that have vegetarian actors. So I could watch a Brad Pitt movie but maybe only if he's the star. If someone else had the lead role and was an omni I would have to boycott it.

And what if you found out the movie costumes were synthetic but that Mike Myers wore furs in his real life? Then what? So confusing. Ok everyone, stop eating meat. Stop killing animals.
#5 Old 11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Beginner

Hey thanks everyone...obviously there are many many details that you pointed out, goatee.....but every little bit counts, I say. Some day, I hope that everything ...all the small things included will be animal free. I really appreciate everyone helping out, just by pure logic even if you didn't know for sure. It made a lot of sense and I feel a little relieved if I do decide to see it...and if I find out it is real fur, I'll be sure to post. Thanks again.
#6 Old 11-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

I think sometimes I should only support movies that have vegetarian actors. So I could watch a Brad Pitt movie but maybe only if he's the star.

Did somebody say Brad Pitt?

Okay, I was able to find this for you:

"The Cat suit was made of human hair and angora; the nose consisted of foam latex and literally glued to Myers' face. And, the inside of the suit had a vest with circulating cold water as well as a portable air conditioner connected by a hose for outdoor shoots when temperatures exceeded 90 degrees."

I got it from http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=140809
#7 Old 11-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_Sword2Sky View Post

Did somebody say Brad Pitt?

Okay, I was able to find this for you:

"The Cat suit was made of human hair and angora; the nose consisted of foam latex and literally glued to Myers' face. And, the inside of the suit had a vest with circulating cold water as well as a portable air conditioner connected by a hose for outdoor shoots when temperatures exceeded 90 degrees."

I got it from http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=140809

Dang it! That really sucks.....argh.
#8 Old 11-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

Why should epski know. Is he like the super guru who knows everything?

Yes, but that's beside the point.

I work in "the biz." That said, this particular question is out of my area of expertise, as I don't work in costuming or make-up.

Amazing what you can find on the Internet, though, if you try.
#9 Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 AM
Beginner

i saw it before i read this but i would just say it isnt much of a loss anyway. i was so disspointed in the film and the highlight was seeing alec baldwin,other than in his "gross out" scene. so if your not going for whatever reason, thats good, keep your money. you aint missin much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page