"Sideshows" at County Fair - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Today, my friend and I were walking around at the county fair, and we passed a "sideshow" (I think that is the proper term) featuring live bears, and later one featuring live alligators. I was so disgusted by the fact that live animals were toted about the carnival circuit, in exhibit no bigger that a mobile home. How is that legal?? Are there really live animals in those exhibits, or is it a "smoke and mirrors trick?" I was going to go question the man running the sideshow, but I just couldn't bring myself to go near it. Is there a way to petition this kind of practice? Does anyone know anything about this topic?? Help would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

County fairs pretty much operate by 19th-century standards when it comes to attitudes toward animals.

Contact your local humane society. They may have recieved a "heads up" that an animal act was coming to town. They would probably be able to tell you if the outfit is licensed by the USDA. Sadly, Animal Welfare Act regulations are very minimal and keeping a bear in a tiny living space is perfectly acceptable so long as the animal can stand up and turn around. However, it's still good to log with your humane society what you saw.

Also--county fairs exist to entertain the paying public. Why not send a short letter or email to your county fair board? You don't have to go into a tirade, just let them know how disappointed you were to see bears and alligators as sideshow objects.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't see what's so 'entertaining' about seeing a wild animal cooped up in a little cage..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

County fairs pretty much operate by 19th-century standards when it comes to attitudes toward animals.

Contact your local humane society. They may have recieved a "heads up" that an animal act was coming to town. They would probably be able to tell you if the outfit is licensed by the USDA. Sadly, Animal Welfare Act regulations are very minimal and keeping a bear in a tiny living space is perfectly acceptable so long as the animal can stand up and turn around. However, it's still good to log with your humane society what you saw.

Also--county fairs exist to entertain the paying public. Why not send a short letter or email to your county fair board? You don't have to go into a tirade, just let them know how disappointed you were to see bears and alligators as sideshow objects.

Very good advice. If enough people complain, they might stop just from not enough popularity of the act. (its sad they cant stop because they realize how cruel it is...)

I'm sorry you had to see that. It sounds awful.
#5 Old 08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Thank you so much. The county fair will be in town for a few more weeks, which is plenty of time to get a letter out.
#6 Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

oh gosh i know how you feel, i was recently at the county fair and heard all these pigs just screaming. not sure what was happening but the sound was just horrible. let me know if they reply to your letter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page