Stray puppies what would you do? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Today when I was leaving work I saw a female dog with two small puppies (maybe 6 wks) old roaming around in the road. I went around the block and they were in someone's yard and I asked if they belonged to them. they said they did and then preceded to try to give me both puppies. I would have taken them but I live in an apartment and I'm pretty sure we are only allowed to have 1 pet. you could tell the mommy dog was trying to wean the puppies. My question is basically, what should i do? I can't just leave them there roaming the streets (it's a really bad neighborhood) to create more puppies. I don't want to call the humane society cause they will just put them to sleep and we don't have any no kill shelters around here. I don't know what to do. they are not necessarily strays because they do belong to someone but i fear for them because their owners looked a little sketchy and the mommy dog looked pretty thin so i don't know how well they feed her. what would you all do? i'm really worried. I can't go to work and see those dogs everyday and not do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have some type of Animal Control that you could call to file a complaint? Maybe they could go out there and check it out for you.
#3 Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyveggies View Post

I don't want to call the humane society cause they will just put them to sleep ..

how do you know? puppies usually have a pretty good chance of being adopted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM

I don't know for sure that they would be killed, I just assume they would because there are so many dogs there already. I guess puppies would have a better chance of being adopted than older dogs though. I think I'm gonna call animal control to go out and make sure they have enough food and water because the mother looked really thin.
#5 Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

is there a no-kill shelter in your area?
#6 Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

you could try getting ahold of rescue/foster groups in the area. ask at the vet if they know of anyone that could take them for a couple weeks.

6 weeks still seems a little young to try to be giving them up to people. do the owners even want the mother? they probably won't even get her fixed.
#7 Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM

i did just find out that there is a no kill shelter in my area but it says on the website they have a limited amount of animals they can take in. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they can possibley take the puppies. I guess the owners still want the mom, they only offered the puppies to me. I thought about offering to get the mom fixed for them and just pay for it myself but I would never trust them to do it. They live right in the middle of a drug infested neighborhood and i'm quite certain they would not use the money to fix the dog but I know if someone doesn't get the dog fixed there will be more helpless puppies to come.
#8 Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Beginner

I don't know how much you want to get involved but you could offer to help find them a home. I did this for my ex-sister-in-law. She "couldn't find" a home for her 2 yr old pitbull and her "only option" was to take her to the SPCA where they told her that she would immediately be put down because they didn't have enough room to keep anymore pitbulls. I went out over the weekend and put up flyers everywhere, told people the situation and found her a home in less than 48 hours.

I put the above in quotations because I feel that she didn't really put any effort in... I hate it when people keep pets as novelties and then just "get rid" of them when it's inconvenient for them... and they do that all the time... grrr..

Anyways, just an idea!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page