Commercial Dog Cloning Begins - California woman pays $150,000 to have her dog cloned - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM

The loss of a pet is a terrible experience but I do not believe this is right....

Story from BBC NEWS: (See link for pics)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7246380.stm

First order for pet dog cloning

A South Korean company says it has taken its first order for the cloning of a pet dog.

A woman from the United States wants her dead pitbull terrier - called Booger - re-created.

RNL Bio is charging the woman, from California, $150,000 (£76,000) to clone the pitbull using tissue extracted from its ear before it died.

The work will be carried out by a team from Seoul National University, where the first dog was cloned in 2005.

Commercial cloning

RNL Bio says this is the first time a dog will have been cloned commercially.

"There are many people who want to clone their pet dogs in Western countries even at this high price," company chief executive, Ra Jeong-chan, told the Korea Times.

The cost of cloning a dog may come down to less than $50,000

Cho Seong-Ryul, RNL Bio

The firm is expecting hundreds more orders for pets over the next few years and also plans to clone dogs trained to sniff out bombs or drugs.

One out of every four surrogate mother dogs produces puppies, according to RNL Bio's marketing director, Cho Seong-ryul.

"The cost of cloning a dog may come down to less than $50,000 as cloning is becoming an industry," he said.

Dog attack

The pitbull's owner, Bernann McKunney, gave the company ear tissue, which an American biotech firm preserved before the animal died 18 months ago.

She is said to have been particularly attached to the dog, after it saved her life when another dog attacked her and bit off her arm.

The university's team is led by Professor Lee Byeong-chun, who was previously in a team headed by the disgraced stem cell scientist, Hwang Woo-suk.

Mr Hwang's results on cloning human stem cells, initially hailed as a breakthrough, were found to have been falsified and he is now on trial charged with embezzlement and fake research.

But the team did succeed in creating the world's first cloned dog two years ago - an Afghan hound named Snuppy.

They continued with the programme, cloning more dogs and also producing clones of Korean grey wolves.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...re/7246380.stm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry but this is silly! The cloned dog will not be the same dog! Not any more than one twin is the same person as their twin.

So many factors contribute to personality, etc - much of it is environmental and can't really be duplicated.

And of course the saddest part of all this is that there is a dog in a shelter some here that could be adopted, instead of having a clone created.
#3 Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

What a stupid waste of resources! I hate people sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like an idiot tax to me.
#5 Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I can understand why she'd want to do this.

When you miss a person or an animal that you had in your life so badly, it makes you think you'd like to do stuff like that.
#6 Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I can understand why she'd want to do this.

When you miss a person or an animal that you had in your life so badly, it makes you think you'd like to do stuff like that.

Maybe if you have a very poor understanding of what cloning is.
#7 Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah obviously dude, and it's already been pointed out by someone else in the thread, but I'm just saying I understand her motivations...you know empathizing?
#8 Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Wait wait wait

another dog bit off her arm?!

Surely you might end up with more than one dog too, 'cause they usually implant several because most die

How long before its humans? any bets!

What was his falsified research?
#9 Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if it's because she loved the dog so much, or just she sees non-human animals as commodities. And when your property breaks, you can go get the same thing again- only now we're talking about sentient beings and cloning.

I'm going with the latter.
#10 Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

This all sounds sick to me! People with money think that they can buy anything nowadays, even buying back the life of their dead dog (except it won't be the same dog). It's all so unnatural!

I hope I'm long dead before they start cloning humans!
#11 Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Understand what Sabaratik meant. Losing a pet can be so hard.

Regarding human cloning, I bet it's already begun in other countries. I remember an Italian scientist has claimed that he has cloned a human. Spooky.

Here's something to think about. Imagine a person like Michael Vick. If he had a pit bull that won an extraordinary amount of fights and then that dog lost a fight, I am sure he would have that dog cloned. Maybe several. There are many people in the dog fighting world that could afford this several times over.

- Mother Nature must be drinking heavily these days.
#12 Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

I wonder if it's because she loved the dog so much, or just she sees non-human animals as commodities. And when your property breaks, you can go get the same thing again- only now we're talking about sentient beings and cloning.

I'm going with the latter.

That's the most retarded idea I've seen all day. Who the hell replaces a dog, almost definitely costing under $1000 initially, with a genetic replica costing $150 000 just because it was their property and "broke"?

Would you pay $1500 for some rare toaster to be reconstructed even though you could get one that burnt your toast just as well for $15?
#13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Again: People SICKEN me. A LOT.

This is why I flame the way scientists try to be God.
#14 Old 02-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

That's the most retarded idea I've seen all day. Who the hell replaces a dog, almost definitely costing under $1000 initially, with a genetic replica costing $150 000 just because it was their property and "broke"?

Would you pay $1500 for some rare toaster to be reconstructed even though you could get one that burnt your toast just as well for $15?

Yeah... you totally missed the point. Way to go.
#15 Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 AM

yeah first you get the good dog.......then you get it's evil twin >:-)

#16 Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah... you totally missed the point. Way to go.

No, your point completely overlooked an important part of replacing something you view as a commodity.
#17 Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, your point completely overlooked an important part of replacing something you view as a commodity.

Actually, the point I was making was that only with an extremely speciesist mindset could someone condone the cloning of a deceased 'pet', since nonhuman animals are considered property, such an action is therefore moral, since what objection can be posed to commodifying a commodity, or objectifying an object? It doesn't matter why she (or others) do it, the point remains that it's yet another example of how people consider sentient beings to be property.
#18 Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, the point I was making was that only with an extremely speciesist mindset could someone condone the cloning of a deceased 'pet', since nonhuman animals are considered property, such an action is therefore moral, since what objection can be posed to commodifying a commodity, or objectifying an object? It doesn't matter why she (or others) do it, the point remains that it's yet another example of how people consider sentient beings to be property.

Perhaps on the part of the people who are doing the cloning, but given that as a commodity that dog was, as far as we know, totally useless (and almost definitely not worth $150 000,) I find little reason to believe that the person requesting the cloning viewed it that way.

Plus, that assumes that cloning is inherently immoral even when applied to humans.
#19 Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Perhaps on the part of the people who are doing the cloning, but given that as a commodity that dog was, as far as we know, totally useless (and almost definitely not worth $150 000,) I find little reason to believe that the person requesting the cloning viewed it that way.

No, you're not understanding. The dog was essentially property, without rights or needs, with only extrinsic value. That's what I'm getting at. A commodity; object; thing, whatever you want to say, the point is it takes a speciesist mindset (i.e. animals are property) to have her opinions and actions.
#20 Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, you're not understanding. The dog was essentially property, without rights or needs, with only extrinsic value. That's what I'm getting at. A commodity; object; thing, whatever you want to say, the point is it takes a speciesist mindset (i.e. animals are property) to have her opinions and actions.

Her mindset, while probably quite warped at the time, does not determine whether or not the dog has rights. That comes from society as a whole. As for needs, how do you know whether or not she acknowledged or met them?

I can see her viewing it as "property" in a sense (ignoring for the moment that it likely is her legal property,) but I don't believe that opinion necessary if she was desperate enough to have a dog cloned for $150 000, and it seems fairly obvious she at least valued it higher than the average property.
#21 Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM

What startles me is that several dogs have to be impregnated in order to successfully get a clone. What happens to all the other puppies that are born as a result? I shudder to think about it.
#22 Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Someone needs to contact this woman (Bernann McKunney) and let her know that if she really cares about animals, she would never do this. 1) too many dogs in shelters in america 2) excess puppies from her south korean litters will be disposed of 3) there is no regard whatsoever for the breeding dogs who are probably kept in cages and not allowed to do the natural dog things like walk, play, roam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page