school visits to zoos - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Beginner

My son has just started secondary school and loves it very much. Problem is he came home Friday afternoon with a letter regarding a school trip the science dept has arranged, its an annual trip to Brisol Zoo.

I personaly feel this is a very unethical decission of the school to visit a zoo that holds animals in captivity in small enclosures. I do not wish for my son to attend the trip but i know its going to cause problems as he wants to go with his friends of course. Until now he has never asked to visit a zoo, though he did see a small one once in an amusment park which was appauling as there animals were kept in tiny spaces, pacing the cages with boredom. It was very upsetting to see.

I would like to know what other members on this forum think about schools visiting zoos, is it ethical? What would you do in my situation?

Help needed here please not only from parents, students but any one who has any feelings on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I personally don't agree with zoos or visiting zoos. I have no children so i have no idea what you should do in this situation, maybe contact the school and discuss your worries with them. Sorry i couldn't be more help.
#3 Old 09-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should explian how you feel about zoos and them let him go so that he can form his own opinion. If he is in high school he should be old enough to decide for himself. When/if someone ever asks why he thinks zoos are wrong his answer should consist of more that "because my mom said.....".

I toured a slaughter house when I had the oppotunity, it let me know, first hand, what it was that I was protesting. To see the bad things that happen is hard to do but it makes you that much stronger in your convictions if you do believe it is truly wrong when you see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

my children are 7, we are vegan for a variety of reasons. when a field trip form comes home about the zoo we tell them that they can go but we have also explained at length why we dont like it. they want to fit in and be with their friends but i suspect that they make comments to their friends about why it makes them sad in xyz way. we dont encourage or discourage them from doing that. we tell them why we dont like it for all the varied reasons and they can certainly choose to not participate. we hope the day will come that they do that--but they are 7.
#5 Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Beginner

i think my main concern is that schools are supporting this cruelty. I thihnk i will let him go and as you suggest talk to him about it before and after, though i do feel i need to let the school know of my disapproval.
#6 Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

i think my main concern is that schools are supporting this cruelty. I thihnk i will let him go and as you suggest talk to him about it before and after, though i do feel i need to let the school know of my disapproval.

If he goes, and once he gets there, he might let the a few people know about his disapproval, as well.

Keep on freepin' on

#7 Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Beginner

lol hes not as outspoken as me and his little sister, he will be more interested in the cheesy gift shops probably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page