VeggieBoards banner

school visits to zoos

945 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NiceDream 
#1 ·
My son has just started secondary school and loves it very much. Problem is he came home Friday afternoon with a letter regarding a school trip the science dept has arranged, its an annual trip to Brisol Zoo.

I personaly feel this is a very unethical decission of the school to visit a zoo that holds animals in captivity in small enclosures. I do not wish for my son to attend the trip but i know its going to cause problems as he wants to go with his friends of course. Until now he has never asked to visit a zoo, though he did see a small one once in an amusment park which was appauling as there animals were kept in tiny spaces, pacing the cages with boredom. It was very upsetting to see.

I would like to know what other members on this forum think about schools visiting zoos, is it ethical? What would you do in my situation?

Help needed here please not only from parents, students but any one who has any feelings on this.

#3 ·
I think you should explian how you feel about zoos and them let him go so that he can form his own opinion. If he is in high school he should be old enough to decide for himself. When/if someone ever asks why he thinks zoos are wrong his answer should consist of more that "because my mom said.....".

I toured a slaughter house when I had the oppotunity, it let me know, first hand, what it was that I was protesting. To see the bad things that happen is hard to do but it makes you that much stronger in your convictions if you do believe it is truly wrong when you see it.

#4 ·
my children are 7, we are vegan for a variety of reasons. when a field trip form comes home about the zoo we tell them that they can go but we have also explained at length why we dont like it. they want to fit in and be with their friends but i suspect that they make comments to their friends about why it makes them sad in xyz way. we dont encourage or discourage them from doing that. we tell them why we dont like it for all the varied reasons and they can certainly choose to not participate. we hope the day will come that they do that--but they are 7.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

i think my main concern is that schools are supporting this cruelty. I thihnk i will let him go and as you suggest talk to him about it before and after, though i do feel i need to let the school know of my disapproval.
If he goes, and once he gets there, he might let the a few people know about his disapproval, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.