What can be done (neighbors moved and left dog)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

The people next door moved away last week and they left thier dog behind, an older lab mix who is very sweet but so overweight its obviously causeing health problems.

I called a number given to me to report animal cruelty but they said they can not do anything! WTF?

Ok here is the story, family moves out and leaves the dog, Tuesday I hear yelping outside and I go out to look and the landlord is trying to get the dog out of the back yard, now it is a rainy day I was shocked to see the dog I did not know she was back there and I helped him get her out of the muddy yard, I assumed since it was rainy he was going to take her inside because he said he had called animal services already.

However when I handed him the leash he took it off her and he had already shut the gate and he refused to let me put her back in the fenced in area until animal services got there!

He was just going to let her wander the street what the hell is wrong with people?

Ok so the poor dog had been without food or water for a couple days, I took her into my yard gave her some food, some water and started making some phone calls first to the owner who said one of the teen's was supposed to pick the dog up sunday.

Now I dont know who owned the dog the mother or the son that lived there but the sons employer came by my house the next day and asked about the dog said one of the other workers had overheard the boy talking about leaveing the dog there so she came by to see if she could find the dog.

She is supposed to come get the dog tomarrow and take her in.

Now here is the kicker, animal welfare says they can not do anything about animal abuse because I have already taken custody of the animal , WTF? what was I supposed to do let it wander the street with cars and children? Thats a danger to all parties, and since I'm feeding her and such she is not being neglected.

But she was before! I mean there are several witnesses to the fact the dog was left behind.

Thyey said I could call the police but what are the police going to do ? I thought it was animal services that handled these cases?

Either way I'm pissed off , this poor dog has been left and though everything is going to turn out OK for her in the end it is not right that these people may get off compleatly when if the landlord had just left the animal there to start with and called the police the owners would be getting up to a 5000 $ fine and 4 years in jail, but for some messed up reason it does not count if someone feels sorry for the dog and gives it food?

Something seems wrong here I'm sure there is legal recourse for the animal so why is animal control blowing me off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

That is absolutely awful! Sorry I don't have any advice. I don't know about animal cruelty laws. Poor pup.
#3 Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

That is just sad. Shame on them. I imagine that animal control is so swamped, understaffed and underfunded, that if someone takes the dog in it is more convenient for them.

We took in our 3rd dog when a neighbor abandoned him, leaving him with no food or water and with infected sutures in his abdomen. He is an absolute sweetheart and I still don't understand the people's actions. He had been well cared for previously and had been taught basic commands. Then they left.

I'm glad that somebody is taking your neighbor's dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

This happened to a dog I knew growing up, we weren't able to get anything done about it either. A friend of mine ended up taking the dog.

My parents still have a lab mix that our neighbors neglected and because no one would let the dog starve when they weren't feeding/watering her, and because we took her in when they left her outside during an ice storm nothing could be done about it.

It's very sad that you have to let an animal starve to get anything done, when everyone around is more than willing to testify that the only reason she has food is because the 80 year old woman who lives next door sneaks it to her every night. Even if they couldn't have gotten them on the starvation, my mom had PICTURES of the dog out with no shelter during an ice storm, and out wandering the street, since she would dig her way out to look for food.
#5 Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Bof
Banned

In Queensland it's an offence under the Animal Care & Protection Act not to care for an animal (provide food, water, accomodation, treatment of disease etc.)

It is also a specific offence to abandon an animal, punishable by up to 1 year's imprisonment.
#6 Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I took my cat in when my neighbour left her behind. She was still a kitten when I got her. She left Arwen with another neighbour, who was a teenager. The teenager came to me the next day to ask if i could take care of her until the neighbour would come back, which was supposed to be the next day. She came two weeks later. She only came to me, because I was keeping a piece of furniture for her. Again, it was only supposed to be until the next day. She came for her thing, and then I asked her...what about the cat? She was like, oh I thought she was roaming the streets... What??? I said, nevermind, she's staying here. And that was it....no protest from her. Our daughters go to school together, and I still can't look at her when I see her.

People suck sometimes.
#7 Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf's dad took in a cat who had been left behind by his previous owners. The former owners had two cats, and they took one with them and left the other one behind.

By the time some folks were able to catch him, the cat was in horrendous shape. I'd never seen a cat so thin before that. You could count his ribs. It was absolute pure starvation. I always wish the former owners had been made to face the image of what they'd done.

(Note: The cat is healthy now).

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Update on the dog, she has a new home now and will be cared for.

The old owners it seems there is nothing I can do about it but a report was filed so thats all I can do I guess.

But the dog is safe.
#9 Old 09-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Baby Love

I'm glad the dog is safe. Hopefully, she'll be healthy and happy in her new home.
#10 Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I just want to commend you on taking care of the poor dog. After all the crap that has been in the media about animal abuse, I'm happy to hear that people still have enough humanity to take care of the animals. I swear, I get more riled up about animal abuse than I do child abuse. But that's probably why I'm a puppy mommy and not a kid mommy!

Again, job well done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page