Should animal testing be banned? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Should all animal testing be banned?
I accept that animal testing should be banned. 1 100.00%
I don’t accept that animal testing should be banned. 0 0%
I don’t know that animal testing should be banned. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 Old 04-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

True dat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Some more quotes:

I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't.... The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further. ~Mark Twain

It didn't seem to bother his appetite much.

"Nothing helps scenery like ham and eggs. Ham and eggs, and after these a pipean old, rank, delicious pipeham and eggs and scenery, a down-grade, a flying coach, a fragrant pipe, and a contented heartthese make happiness. It is what all the ages have struggled for." ~Mark Twain
#123 Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

"Nothing helps scenery like ham and eggs. Ham and eggs, and after these a pipean old, rank, delicious pipeham and eggs and scenery, a down-grade, a flying coach, a fragrant pipe, and a contented heartthese make happiness. It is what all the ages have struggled for." ~Mark Twain

Good of you to point that out: even some meat-eaters realize the immorality of vivisection. That's certainly something worth thinking about.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The problem with claiming that only vivisection advocates care about the "big picture" is that both pro- and anti-AR people can hold the belief that advancing medicine is extremely important but inherently valuable beings cannot be sacrificed for that goal. Where they disagree is in what beings they consider inherently valuable. So, the difference between the views is in the moral status of animals, not in how important the "big picture" is (whatever that means exactly).

Good point.

About omnis who oppose vivisection... I've never understood this. Even if you grew up thinking charred animal flesh tastes good (like I did), it's not a necessity for health (for at least most of us).

Earlier in this thread I was going to argue that even if I don't consider animals to be property, the necessity of curing disease might justify vivisection- assuming vivisection can produce worthwhile medical information. The issue of whether or not it works is still important, even though it is also important to consider whether or not we have a right to subject an animal to experiments regardless of whether or not it could save human lives. If enough people decided vivisection should be banned, that ban would have to be legally enforced upon researchers who still want to perform such experiments. And they probably would ask why humans do not have a right to kill in order to preserve their lives when animal predators do that all the time.

Considering that someone may not be motivated enough to refrain from having animals killed merely because animal flesh tastes good to them, I always find it hard to believe such a person would oppose vivisection if they thought it would save lives. Maybe it's because the desire for a steak dinner is immediate, but the threat of serious illness is only a far-off possibility they don't bother confronting until they have to.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#125 Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

its a good point red , where the great majority are actually put of by the slaughter of animals ....and then go and have a good old meat up afterwords
#126 Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think what bothers me the most is the fact that companies say what they're doing is "humane" when in reality, it's sick and cruel torture. This is how I know... would the scientists do these experiments on their own kids? If the answer is no, animal testing should be banned.
#127 Old 04-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The problem with claiming that only vivisection advocates care about the "big picture" is that both pro- and anti-AR people can hold the belief that advancing medicine is extremely important but inherently valuable beings cannot be sacrificed for that goal. Where they disagree is in what beings they consider inherently valuable. So, the difference between the views is in the moral status of animals, not in how important the "big picture" is (whatever that means exactly).

I think that's true.
#128 Old 04-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

This is how I know... would the scientists do these experiments on their own kids? If the answer is no, animal testing should be banned.

That is a ridiculous standard.
#129 Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0704/S00038.htm

It seems the the herd of pigs been used , have been on some island since 1854 So they have not been exposed to modern virus . A guy doing the research said it more than you can say about humans (referring to the viral status )

We have the big picture stuff here , the researches seem very confident in the direction they are going

So if we apply sevenseas rational here , we come back to the moral status of the pigs themselves

There have been human trails
#130 Old 04-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Earlier in this thread I was going to argue that even if I don't consider animals to be property, the necessity of curing disease might justify vivisection- assuming vivisection can produce worthwhile medical information.

Can those two beliefs -- animals not being property, and valuable information justifying vivisection -- ever be compatible, though? I would argue that vivisection inherently means that animals are property,

a) in a more abstract sense of property: the vivisectors hold the animals captive, and the animals' crucial interests in life, liberty, social interaction and freedom from suffering are in the vivisectors' hands. They have absolute authority over the animals. The authority is absolute despite some welfare laws regulating the animal exploitation because that authority concerns such crucial interests. If I had kids locked up in a cellar and did experiments on them and had control over their lives, could anyone say that my relation to them shouldn't essentially be characterized as ownership?

b) in a more practical (legal) sense, if you have vivisection without animals as legal property, AR activists can legally rescue them from the vivisectors' hands. That is incompatible with the safe continuing practice of vivisection.

Quote:
If enough people decided vivisection should be banned, that ban would have to be legally enforced upon researchers who still want to perform such experiments. And they probably would ask why humans do not have a right to kill in order to preserve their lives when animal predators do that all the time.

I would tell them that if they want to model their ethics on wolves and hyenas, they should not do that in a human society

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#131 Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

That is a ridiculous standard.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I wouldn't subject any living creatures to something I wouldn't put my own child through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page