Dog Fur/"fake fur", etc. (merged threads) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2006, 05:30 PM

Has anyone read this article on MSN?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16329355/?GT1=8816

Is this something that has been going on and I've never heard of it....or some new trend? I find the fur industry appaulling......but I didn't think dogs were being thrown into the mix.

I've never in my life, desired a fur coat of any kind.... even before I was a vegetarian...not even faux fur! I'm even starting to get away from leather. I never thought humans looked right wearing another animal's fur. It only looks good on the animal it belonged to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

“the fur is sourced from China where domestic dogs and cats and raccoon dogs are killed in gruesome ways.”

at least the article isnt supporting the china fur industries.
#3 Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGirl3 View Post

at least the article isnt supporting the china fur industries.

Ture....! I was just a little shocked. I find it sickening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 PM

It is pretty sickening, but I don't see how its any worse than wearing the fur of a mink or other animal. I don't see why people think its ok to wear mink, fox, raccoon etc fur but are disgusted when they hear of wearing dog fur...they're all animals, in my eyes, all equal. I think all fur garments should be banned, not just dog and cat.
#5 Old 12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Well said, I agree!
#6 Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Dog fur coats?

ACK!

What's next, horse skin coats? This is disgusting and wrong. I'm glad that I don't wear fur, and haven't done so in 5 years.
#7 Old 12-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The HSUS first exposed the extent of the trade in dog and cat pelts in 1998. In the first phase of the investigation, they discovered dog fur parkas at Burlington Coat Factory. (And no, not raccoon dogs--it was domestic dogs). The second phase of the investigation focused on domestic cat pelts discovered on cheap fur-covered animal figurines for sale at gift and souvenir shops across America.

The findings incited a brief media frenzy which culminated in the passage of a largely unenforcable ban on the importation of domestic dog and cat fur into the US.

"What Are They Wearing?" is the title of the report on HSUS's late 90s investigation. You can read the PDF version at http://www.hsus.org/furfree/news/faux_fur_for_sale.html .

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG! thats so disturbing. i dont get why people have this seperation between domesticated pets and animals used for fur. why wouldnt they would suffer just as much as a cat or dog? i cringed when i read that story, my cats and dog are like my kids.
#9 Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

OMG! thats so disturbing. i dont get why people have this seperation between domesticated pets and animals used for fur. why wouldnt they would suffer just as much as a cat or dog? i cringed when i read that story, my cats and dog are like my kids.

I don't have a separation. I'm against ALL animals being used for fur. I wasn't aware that dogs and cats were now being used in the trade. I guess I was hiding under the rock too long. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that this horrid industry would also include domesticated animals.

The fur industry angers me because it's not a "need".....it's a want. It's an industry based on greed an profit. I can understand how people many, many years ago may have had to rely on animal pelts for clothing, because other options may not have been available. But today we have many options for stylish clothing and warm, fashionable coats that don't require the use of fur!

I think some people wear fur because they think it's some kind of status symbol for them. I, personally, have a whole different opionion.
#10 Old 12-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What about up in northern canada or Alaska where they are already hunting for meat?. Wouldn't it be ok to use that fur for clothing?.

Any fur that comes from the Chinese market is worse no matter what species because the slaughter methods are less humane there.

I saw this video from China where an animal ( dog like?) was skinned alive and then lay on a heap of other skinned animals. Then this skinned animal slowly lifted hir head and blinked. Really hard to take. Compared to this, any US fur farm is going to be humane.
#11 Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I saw this video from China where an animal ( dog like?) was skinned alive and then lay on a heap of other skinned animals. Then this skinned animal slowly lifted hir head and blinked.

Suddenly not hungry anymore
#12 Old 12-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Beginner

As sick as it is, at least once the store found out about it, they stopped selling the item.

I agree, domestic or not, dog or other animal, it is not acceptable to use fur. As for using fur when an animal is killed for food, that is not good either; the animal should not be killed for food when there are alternative food sources available.
#13 Old 12-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

::sigh:: So now faux fur can be real fur? Gross. I'm glad they pulled them. All the stores should pull any type of fur. I hope the companies selling the clothes wrongly labeled are prosecuted.

I also hope they are giving full refunds to people who bought these under fals pretences.

Personally I wouldn't even buy faux fur because it can send the wrong message to the people around you.
#14 Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM

I saw the video too, made worse (if thats possible) because at that exact moment my pup raised her head and blinked in the same way. I'm a forensic scientist and I regularly get to play with dead things, that video is the only thing that has made me feel sick.
#15 Old 12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep its sick, my friends and I campaign a lot in the North East UK to get shops to stop selling real fur. It shocks me to find real fur on sale for as cheap as 50p in shops. YES 50pence!!!

For more info on the sickening truth about hte fur trade, these websites should help you out:

http://www.caft.org.uk/

http://furisdead.com/feat-jcrewvictory.asp then click on the PETA label on the top right for more info.

SO many people are still buying REAL FUR thinking it is fake ,shops are not labelling it correctly esp if it comes from abroad so sometimes label it as FAKE when it is real , be it sometimes they do not know .

If you are ever in a shop and look at the label and it says REAL fur, let your local AR group know or leave me a message and I will contact them.

The fur trade is now more fashionable than every before and with it sellign for as little as 50p more and more of it is being used. Meaning more and more animals are suffering than ever before for the fur trade.

Together we can stop it.
#16 Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

While I'm against fur myself, in Russia dog and cat fur coats are deemed a necessity. Many people simply cannot afford wool or down or similar coats and buy dog fur coats to keep warm in the winter. Its well known that while cat fur coats look better dog fur coats are more durable.

How do you tell a poor cold Russian not to buy the only coat he can afford?
#17 Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

In Russia dog and cat fur coats are deemed a necessity. Many people simply cannot afford wool or down or similar coats and buy dog fur coats to keep warm in the winter. Its well known that while cat fur coats look better dog fur coats are more durable.

Do they not sell synthetic coats in Russia? In the US the synthetic coats are usually cheaper. Can you only find coats made of animal products in Russia?
#18 Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think sometimes we forgot how big the wool industry is, that is fur too. There is wool in so many winter coats and sweaters. All fur is wrong and sad and should be stopped. I thought that most people (even meat eaters) where against fur and people were wearing less of it, but now it seems to be coming back.

The strange thing is I have noticed more women wearing fur coats this year and it isn't even all that cold here in Michigan this year. I don't get the appeal of fur. It doesn't matter what animal it is, it's wrong to use their fur. They all suffer and feel pain, whether a sheep, fox, mink or dog. Also sad when the industries lie about whether it is fake or not. That should be stopped as well.
#19 Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Beginner

I found out a couple of months ago that some leather shoes, coats, purses ect... are made from domestic dogs and cats. I cant remember where I read or heard it.
#20 Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Beginner

I found out a couple of months ago that some leather shoes, coats, purses ect... are made from domestic dogs and cats. I cant remember where I read or heard it.
#21 Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

While I'm against fur myself, in Russia dog and cat fur coats are deemed a necessity. Many people simply cannot afford wool or down or similar coats and buy dog fur coats to keep warm in the winter. Its well known that while cat fur coats look better dog fur coats are more durable.

Really, what a red herring to bring that up here. No one on this forum is a Russian peasant or is actively working to take their fur away. The large majority seems to be in the US, some in England, most of the remaining scattered among developed westernized countries... When fur is protested by people here, it's fashion fur. Similarly, no one is going out to protest subsistence farmers in Africa for eating meat.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#22 Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Any fur that comes from the Chinese market is worse no matter what species because the slaughter methods are less humane there.

This would not necessarily be the case. While the industry is *completely* unregulated there, it is mostly unregulated here, and of the few laws that do exist, it is very difficult to catch infractions and enforce.

There is a profit motive for skinning animals alive as the fur is easier to pull off of a live animal than a dead one, when rigor mortis has set in. It is not uncommon for animals to be skinned alive in the states as well.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I just had a woman in a huge, obviously real fur coat come in and put a reserve on "Marley & Me," the cutesy bestseller about a dog.

I felt like asking her if her coat was made out of Marleys.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#24 Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Should J.C. Penney stop selling products with raccoon dog fur?

ONLINE VOTE:

http://www.wesh.com/news/10733443/detail.html
#25 Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for "They should stop selling all fur".

Here are the current results:

Quote:
Should J.C. Penney stop selling products with raccoon dog fur?

Choice \tVotes \tPercentage of 6173 Votes

Yes \t2064 \t33%

No \t1536 \t25%

They should stop selling all fur. \t2573 \t42%

It's a shame they sell fur. I love JCP. I've gotten a lot of nice clothes from them.

*this space not for sale*
#26 Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for "They should stop selling all fur".
#27 Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Votes Percentage of 8036 Votes

Yes 2686 33%

No 1950 24%

They should stop selling all fur. 3400 42

I voted "They should stop selling all fur."
#28 Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

That's awful. The company owners should be skinned alive... they deserve to feel the same pain. They should NOT allow this to happen.
#29 Old 01-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Do they not sell synthetic coats in Russia? In the US the synthetic coats are usually cheaper. Can you only find coats made of animal products in Russia?

You can find both, however the dog and cat fur jackets are thought to be warmer and much cheaper than the synthetic.
#30 Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Really, what a red herring to bring that up here. No one on this forum is a Russian peasant or is actively working to take their fur away. The large majority seems to be in the US, some in England, most of the remaining scattered among developed westernized countries... When fur is protested by people here, it's fashion fur. Similarly, no one is going out to protest subsistence farmers in Africa for eating meat.

I thought we were talking about dog fur coats? The biggest market for dog fur coats is in China and Russia and asia in general. A lot of dogs and cats are killed for this market. Perhaps we in the west can help in this regard? Provide avenues for subsidised synthetic coats for example? Perhaps instead of travelling to a fur coat protest in NYC one could take the same money and buy a few coats to mail to an animal rights group in Russia. The point is, there are things we can do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page