Cat Declawing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom, declawing is extremely uncommon, to the extent that most people have never seen a declawed cat. The procedure is considered cruel by almost all British vets, who refuse to perform it except for medical reasons. The "Mutilations report" found in an annex of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons' Guide to Professional Conduct states:

This procedure is only acceptable where, in the opinion of the veterinary surgeon, injury to the animal is likely to occur during normal activity. It is not acceptable if carried out for the convenience of the owner ... the removal of claws, particularly those which are weight-bearing, to preclude damage to furnishings is not acceptable.

The Animal Welfare Bill, which is currently (autumn 2006) making its way through Parliament, will explicitly prohibit the mutilation of an animal for non-therapeutic reasons, and therefore should this Bill pass into law, declawing for other than therapeutic reasons will become illegal.

The above is excerpted from the Wikipedia entry on Onychectomy (declawing). I am most interested in the outcome of this bill, and kindly request that those VB members living in the UK keep an eye on this issue and provide this thread with an update.

I would also be interested to know if there are countries or municipalities where cat declawing is already illegal, or where outlawing the procedure is being considered or to be considered at a future date.

I let my subscription to Cat Fancy magazine lapse in part because they kept insisting on framing the issue of declawing as a debate, giving the "pro" side the same weight as the "anti" side, and I could no longer accept this.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

there's a pro side to declawing? not for the cat I presume. I'm surprised at how common it is here. we get a lot of surrendered cats that are declawed.
#3 Old 11-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Of course. Your couch doesn't end up with ragged arms. Duh.

Wait..my couch DOESN'T have ragged arms. (My loveseat is another story)...

The rescue that I got my fosters (and now some adoptees) from asked potential adopters to please not have the cats declawed, and to please try other methods first. If they absolutely can't NOT declaw, then to please find a vet who will do the laser surgery.

My neighbor's kid who loves my cats said something about how she was going to get one, "But my mom said we have to get the nails out first"

I honestly don't understand the big deal about claws. I clip my cats nails. It's easy to do, it takes less than a minute. It leaves them blunt.

It takes me like 2 minutes to do all 3 cats. When I had 6 kittens and the mama cat, it took me less than 10 minutes to do all four paws on all 7 cats, and that included finding them and chasing them around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-25-2006, 07:06 PM

I don't live in the UK.

My cat is declawed. I didn't want her to be declawed, but it was "for the sake of the furniture." (Keep in mind I was about 10 years old when it happened, so it really wasn't up to me)

It was really sad, watching her walk around like that for a few days. It's only temporary pain, but in the long run, it's bad. She has no self defense, and she goes outside a lot.
#5 Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the UK, and had never heard of cat declawing before I got access to the internet. Ouch. I'll be watching out for news.
#6 Old 11-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up in the NW of the USA, and before I learned about AR, I'd assumed getting your cat declawed was just as necessary and routine as getting your cat spayed. How sad, when I think back.

What's worse is that I actually had to tell my parent's NOT to get their new(est) cat declawed and had to give them pointers on how to clip her nails. It's just like trimming your dog's nails, except that you have to extend the claws!

If this law passes in the UK, that's AWESOME. Unfortunately, I don't think any such bill is likely in the USA for another 10+ years. :/ Keep working on your younger siblings and nephews/nieces, all in the US!! Someday..
#7 Old 11-27-2006, 12:09 AM

A cat that we rescued from an extremely abusive home was declawed when we got him. He's such a sweet thing. I regret him being declawed, but in all honesty, it doesn't seem to bother him in the least, nor does he even seem to notice. I will never get any of my cats declawed, however. I don't agree with it, because I feel as though if people are going to have animals, then they should be responsible about it. Not, "Oh no- fifi clawed at my couch- I'd better call the vet."

Animals are not humans to modify.
#8 Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I would also be interested to know if there are countries or municipalities where cat declawing is already illegal, or where outlawing the procedure is being considered or to be considered at a future date.

Yes, it's illegal in many countries. That Wikipedia article you quoted lists them.

It's only in North America where declawing is such a widespread phenomenon.

Which reminds me I wanted to call around to all our area vets and find out which ones, if any, refuse to do mutilation surgeries (declawing in cats, tail docking and ear cropping in dogs). These are the vets that we should be supporting, as veterinarians need to be setting the example as well informing patients about the risks and pain involved in such surgeries. We have had several cats turned into our shelter because their owners had them declawed and the cats began the predictable behavior problems (the most common being refusing to use the litter boxes since it's painful/awkward to walk on clay litter after getting your knuckles cut off).
#9 Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Wow. I wish it were illegal in Canada.

My Dad's girlfriend has 3 cats, and none of them are declawed. She thinks it's cruel, and if they scratch her furniture, so what? They live there too. (She's not a vegetarian, but I like the way she treats her cats)
#10 Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

there's a pro side to declawing?

I'm guessing here: Declawing cats makes them more appealing as pets and as a result more cats may be rescued from shelters.
#11 Old 12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I worked at a shelter for a year (had to quit because my boss was nuts and I didn't agree with some of the things they did there). They actually did declawing there (which is one thing I ended up hating). I didn't know much about it before I started working there. I watched the surgery being done on one cat. Watching a dog/cat being fixed doesn't bother me at all but watching this cat get declawed made my stomach turn and I felt really sick. They just cut off the ends of their "fingers" and just pile them up next to the cat.

The cats have to go on meds for the pain and often will rip the glue that is holding the paws together and start bleeding all over the place. Many cats personalities changed when they got declawed. They would become very fearful or aggressive because they didn't understand why their "finger tips" had been amputated. Some cats did okay with it but many were brought back to the shelter because the behavioral problems post-declawing were so bad. Poor babies. It is such a stupid and cruel thing to do to an animal. If you're that worried about your furniture maybe you don't need a cat.
#12 Old 12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Which reminds me I wanted to call around to all our area vets and find out which ones, if any, refuse to do mutilation surgeries (declawing in cats, tail docking and ear cropping in dogs). These are the vets that we should be supporting, as veterinarians need to be setting the example as well informing patients about the risks and pain involved in such surgeries. We have had several cats turned into our shelter because their owners had them declawed and the cats began the predictable behavior problems (the most common being refusing to use the litter boxes since it's painful/awkward to walk on clay litter after getting your knuckles cut off).

I tried this and frustratingly couldn't find any, I had to settle for the vets that didn't outright try to sell me a declaw with a spay/neuter. Here there are two practices that ONLY see cats which I would have loved to take ours to, but both list how awesome they are at declawing in their ads. I know one couple who got a cat and when they went to get here spayed the vet talked them into declawing their cat and convinced them it was the best thing in the world for her. After my boyfriend got done talking to them they were pissed but it was a little late for their cat.
#13 Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I'm guessing here: Declawing cats makes them more appealing as pets and as a result more cats may be rescued from shelters.

That is the reason the shelter gave for declawing the cats. It did help to place some where people already had declawed cats or they just didn't want a cat with claws for various reasons. However, we still got cats back because it changed their personalities. I mean. You go from living in a cage for however long you are at the shelter and then you get your fingertips amputated and then you are thrown into a foreign place where there may be other pets or children and you have no defenses and you're in pain. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Poor cats.
#14 Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

it changed their personalities.

So?
#15 Old 12-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that's horrible that the shelter was declawing the cats.

I know some vets will declaw because they say it's better to oblige the owners than have the cat turned into a shelter or euthanized.
#16 Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Wow, that's horrible that the shelter was declawing the cats.

I know some vets will declaw because they say it's better to oblige the owners than have the cat turned into a shelter or euthanized.

I agree. Our rabbit's vet (the cats have a vet that comes to our home) does cat declawing and when I asked the friend who referred me to them about it he said it's for exactly the reason you stated. I just wish people weren't so disgustingly selfish and shallow.
#17 Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I just wish people weren't so disgustingly selfish and shallow.

Me too, me too.
#18 Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

there's a pro side to declawing?

Yes, there is. See attached cartoon. One day I'll have this made into a t-shirt for myself.
LL

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#19 Old 12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Declawing is mutilation. I'm so glad it was never an option for my cat. I know of people who declawed their cat because it scratched their baby IN IT'S CRIB. What the cat was doing in the crib is another issue, because everyone knows the danger that cats pose to sleeping babies. Says a lot about the parents.
#20 Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up having cats and had never heard of de-clawing until I married my husband. My MIL has a lot of cats (always about 5 or 6, they tend to come and go ) and she always has them de-clawed. The worst thing is, they go in and out and I'm now wondering if the reason they occasionally "disappear" is that they have no defense for themselves when they're in the wild!

My kitty Sebastian has his claws and it's never been a problem. He loves us and has never hurt any of us, and he doesn't usually bother the furniture. He has scratched my one year old once or twice but honestly he had it coming! Usually I am right there to help him pet the kitty gently, and usually if he gets too rough Sebastian will just run off, but there have been a couple of times where he came upon a sleeping cat and startled him and got a little scratch. Nothing I'm worried about.
#21 Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Yes, there is. See attached cartoon. One day I'll have this made into a t-shirt for myself.

I don't get it? Help me out with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrose View Post

because everyone knows the danger that cats pose to sleeping babies. Says a lot about the parents.

I don't get this either lol. Cats pose a danger to sleeping babies?? I've had many friends with many sleeping babies and many cats, no problems.
#22 Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 PM

my cat claws the crap out of me. i won't declaw because 1. it's inhumane 2. cats are supposed to have claws, like birds are suposed to have wings and orcas the whole ocean to swim in.

the shelter i fundraise for makes people sign statements that they will not declaw.
#23 Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Beginner

Both of the cats that have lived with us for 7 years have their claws, they are indoor cats only. Neither of them have been destructive, honestly, nor have they "clawed" me unless I initiate them in aggressive behavior (you cat caregivers know what I'm talking about, egging them on, scratching bellies beyond tolerence etc..) they are great cats who have adapted WITH THEIR DIGITS INTACT to a happy active indoor life, minimal scratching on furniture etc..
#24 Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I have never seen a declawed cat, and never known anyone who has one, I think I would have problems respecting someone who declawed their cat so it wouldnt scratch them or their furniture. Its extremely uncommon in Norway too, I guess. Dunno if its illegal.

I hope the bill passes.
#25 Old 12-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

The cartoon has a cat on a balloon, and since the cat is declawed it cant pop the balloon! Thats how I understood it anyway.

And yeah, cats arent supposed to be unattended with babies (not dogs either), and some cats can lick the babies if they have milk around their face, and then snuggle up on top of them. They sleep on adults faces too, but we can take them away. A baby can't.
#26 Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I love it!
#27 Old 12-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I saw it as the cat was on a balloon high above the earth and it's clinging on for dear life, claws out. The cat's claws will pop the balloon and the cat will plummet to the ground. If the cat was declawed then it would be safe! The cartoon is suggesting this is the only possible scenario in which declawing a cat may be of benefit to the cat. Since cats don't make a general habit of riding around on top of helium-filled balloons far above the earth the inference is that declawing is never of benefit to the cat. Either way, I thought it was kind of a cute little anti-declawing cartoon.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#28 Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah declawing is ****ing sick, period. Not much more to say.

Quote:

Since cats don't make a general habit of riding around on top of helium-filled balloons far above the earth

You just haven't looked closely at the sky at the right times.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#29 Old 12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post

I don't get it? Help me out with this.

I don't get this either lol. Cats pose a danger to sleeping babies?? I've had many friends with many sleeping babies and many cats, no problems.

What my mom told me was that cats like the warmth of a sleeping baby, and they lie on the baby's chest or face, and like Pescas said, the baby is unable to remove the cat, and can be smothered.

I think it might be an old wives tale, but I guess one can never be too safe with a baby around.
#30 Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents had a cat that tried to sleep over my face when I was a baby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page