I had NO idea!! (things newbie vegetarians learn) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I have only been a vegetarian for 2 weeks. I have learned more about animals rights in the last 2 weeks than I have in my entire lifetime. I have been searching the web for anything I could find out. At first I thought that here in the U.S. the main problems were factory farms and the occasional abusive pet owner. Boy, did I have my eyes opened. I found out that some people here in America actually eat dog and cat meat!! In fact the slaughter and sale of dogs cats or other animals considered companians is prohibited only in 7 states! I am too shocked for words. What other hellish things am I going to find out now that I am a vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Earthlings On google video. (run time: 1h 35m)

Quote:

EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and ... all » scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animals shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary ever produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests. There are many worthy animal rights films available, but this one transcends the setting. EARTHLINGS cries to be seen. Highly recommended!

#3 Old 08-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Peaceable Kingdom (run time: 1h 9m)

Quote:

Imagine awakening one day to realize that the work you were trained to do since birth, the life you had always imagined you’d lead, the ... all » very values that had been taught in your family for generations, went against the deepest part of your being.

In Peaceable Kingdom, we hear the riveting stories of people struggling with their conscience around some of our society’s most fundamental assumptions.

An inspiring story of personal redemption, compassion, healing and hope, Peaceable Kingdom is described by many of its viewers as 'a life changing experience'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Peacable Kingdom focuses more on Factory Farms and on the Farm Sanctuary. It's imagery is less graphic than Earthlings. Earthlings focuses more on a wider scope of animal exploitation.

I highly recommend everyone who hasn't already to watch both.

It will open your eyes and alter how you view this world.
#5 Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Beginner

amazon.com has a lot of vegetarian and vegan books for low prices. i just ordered the complete idiot's guide to vegan living and vegan freak: being vegan in a non-vegan world for under $20 combined.

thanks for deciding to become vegetarian, by the way.
#6 Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! Thanks Troub. Believe it or not, I just sat here and watched the ENTIRE 1 1/2 hrs. of that video. It was POWERFUL! I could never go back to eating meat again EVER. I know many people who were vegetarians, even vegans for dietary reasons but switched back to eating meat. I could never do that. I am comitted to stay the course for the rest of my life for ALL the right reasons: animal welfare, the environment and health. That is why I am doing a lot of research to make sure I don't simply give up meat, but learn how to eat the right way so that am never tempted to go back to eating meat again. Again, thanks for that vivid reminder that humans have both the power to destroy and the responsibility be caretakers. If we destroy our fellow earthlings, in the end we destroy ourselves.
#7 Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 AM

Puppyluv I am so glad you watched Earthlings - I think *EVERYONE* needs to watch it. It's great you have taken the trouble to research things for yourself instead of blindly following what 'society' dictates we should believe. It will make you a healthier and happier person

Good luck with your new found vegetarianism

Pegasus
#8 Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 AM

I am going to watch these tonight....I have heard about the peaceable kingdom one before but have never had the opportunity to watch it.
#9 Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Beginner

It's interesting how shocked some are to hear that people actually do eat dogs and cats, but can then eat a hamburger without flinching.

Why is it taboo to eat the meat of cats and dogs here in America but not in Korea? Why is taboo in American to eat horses but not in eastern Asia? It's all a matter of societal trends. Humans naturally have the capacity for compassion and love towards non-human animals. Just because the people of one continent love one animal in particular and others do not should not be shocking.

That people would eat the flesh of a dog is no more "hellish" than people eating the flesh of a pig. It is as wrong to eat a cow or a chicken as it is to eat a dog or a cat. End of story.
#10 Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNUmoe View Post

It's interesting how shocked some are to hear that people actually do eat dogs and cats, but can then eat a hamburger without flinching.

Why is it taboo to eat the meat of cats and dogs here in America but not in Korea? Why is taboo in American to eat horses but not in eastern Asia? It's all a matter of societal trends. Humans naturally have the capacity for compassion and love towards non-human animals. Just because the people of one continent love one animal in particular and others do not should not be shocking.

That people would eat the flesh of a dog is no more "hellish" than people eating the flesh of a pig. It is as wrong to eat a cow or a chicken as it is to eat a dog or a cat. End of story.

That is so true. When I turned veg*n my husband was cool with it, but whenever I tried to talk to him about his eating meat he said he "didn't want to hear it." He loves animals, even farm animals. He is always quoting things from the movie "Babe," but although he knows that everytime he eats ribs or bacon he is actually eating pigs like Babe, he puts it out of his mind. So I have decided to just keep quiet about it and try to influence him by example.

But I did tell him I wouldn't be cooking him meat anymore. If he wants it he will have to buy it and cook it himself or eat it when he goes to a restaurant.
#11 Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:

This is such a hard concept to disect. It is literally hardwired into our society (speaking of the US). As I 'cross-over' I'm trying not to lose sight that at one point I was like everyone else. We grow up with social norms, they are taught to us, advertised, completely acceptable. Although once strongly considered, they become disturbing, it's hard to place blame on this type of thinking.

In our country our domestic animal society is HUGE. Organizations, groups, sports, retail, laws (however pitiful they might be), educational literature, entertainment literature.....it's out there all the time. The meat industry is not exposed at all in our society. It's unspoken, unseen and not noticed. People do not make the connection of the meat in the foam container to the live cow on TV. The middle ground is lost.

I think the countries that expose their meat industry more (open markets with live animals for butcher, tons of small time folks raising various animals for meat vs. huge corporate giants, etc.) make it seem more blatent and the exposure is what horrifies people here. It's a completely different view that no one here is accustomed to seeing. Also I think society relies on the "laws" (again as pitiful as they might be) we have in place that govern our animal industries. When people here see pictures of dogs in crates being raised for food overseas, not in a factory setting, no one in uniform, etc. it sets off a reaction as if they saw their neighbor butchering dogs in their backyard. The association between that and our own industry seems eons apart at that point.

I can see the disconnect and I think it's more about trying to break that down, rather than being surprised that it exists. We have to want to seek out information regarding our meat industry here, it's never in the face of the public (just in regular life obviously).
#12 Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it is odd how people come to their views. For instance, my husband used to eat all types of meat. Then he was stationed in Egypt in the Air Force. There were a lot of open air meat markets. Each market had a chopping block in the center and the animals were tied up right in plain view in the market. There was no air conditioning or packaging so the animals had to be kept alive and then sold and butchered immediately. No big supermarkets with a row of pre-packaged meat that doesn't even look like animals anymore. Well my husband saw one where there was a cute little lamb tied up next to the butcher block. Even though he still eats meat, he won't touch lamb anymore.
#13 Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks Troub for posting the link to Earthlings and Peaceable Kingdom. It shocks me to see how cruel people are. I was horrified by what I saw and only made me feel stronger for the decisions I have made. I haven't finished watching earthlings yet as I find myself yelling at my computer and bawling my eyes out. I realized that emotionally I could not finish the video today I will finish it when emotionally I'm a little stronger then today but it definetly made my decision on being vegeterian stronger..and perhapse work towards being vegan
#14 Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNUmoe View Post

Agreed. Except for the end of story part. 'cos I'd like to continue the saga, if I may.

People who eat cows, chickens and pigs (henceforth CC&P, which would encompass turkey and other oft consumed animals) didn't make a choice to eat CC&P any more than they chose to believe in the God their parents did.

CC&P were around during the formative stage of a meat eater's development and so they didn't question it.

It's just a hamburger, right?

They grew up in a house full of love, laughter and hamburgers.

Their parents seemed pretty okay with hamburgers.

Some of them even kept hamburgers as pets; so no big deal, right?

If mom and dad said it was okay then it must be okay, just as long as they walked the hamburger and picked up after it.

However, if the same people had been brought up in Denmark they'd eat whale blubber without giving it a second thought. They were brought up by whale eaters who taught them it was okay.

If they were born and raised in the Philippines their parents would have fed them dog and it would seem perfectly natural.

In Germany they would unquestioningly eat strangely spiced horse meat.

Heck, even wee Scottish lads and lasses automatically tuck into the minced heart, liver, and lungs of a sheep (efficiently boiled in the same sheep's own stomach) anytime someone rings the dinner bell. Or any bell for that matter.

Sure, this may seem shocking to us in North America because we weren't brought up eating these things as an accepted norm.

But from my point of view I maintain that eating cows, chickens and pigs is no different than eating horses, dogs or someone's pet budgerigar for that matter. (However, even if you were brought up eating haggis, it's still wrong.)

It's actually depressing how many people don't see this and just go through life like preprogrammed automotons they are.

Anyway, that's what I think.

As a side note, I suspect the practice of eating dog meat was born of poverty and necessity. But maybe it's more simple than that. Maybe they just hate dogs. Sometimes, when I'm in bed and my neighbour let's her dog out, I don't blame them.

I keed, I keed!

Cheers!

TJ
#15 Old 08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Peaceable Kingdom (run time: 1h 9m)

Wow I've never seen this video before. I do know of the Farm Sanctuary but never knew the whole story behind it. I would like to buy this so that all that I can see this. Where can I buy this movie from troub?

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#16 Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i wanna watch the 2 videos..but i dont know if i could. i'm very bad with things like that. they always make me cry, and make me depressed.

i want to make my boyfriend watch it with me. mainly so he can comfort me. and also possibly, it might open his eyes a bit..!
#17 Old 08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post

i wanna watch the 2 videos..but i dont know if i could. i'm very bad with things like that. they always make me cry, and make me depressed.

i want to make my boyfriend watch it with me. mainly so he can comfort me. and also possibly, it might open his eyes a bit..!

Yeah I know what you mean wildflower, I cry all the time when I see things like this. As a matter of fact I can't stop crying now after watching the movie. I guess I'm just an old softee when it comes to animals. I'm gonna have to watch this again with my BF this evening.

#18 Old 08-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post

Wow I've never seen this video before. I do know of the Farm Sanctuary but never knew the whole story behind it. I would like to buy this so that all that I can see this. Where can I buy this movie from troub?

They're not selling the DVD at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified when it goes on sale again at http://www.tribeofheart.com/

You can probably find it on ebay though, or a VHS version is available on sale at Pangea.

Their other movie The Witness can also be found on Google Video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=the+witness

I haven't seen that one yet, I think I'll check it out now.
#19 Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

They're not selling the DVD at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified when it goes on sale again at http://www.tribeofheart.com/

You can probably find it on ebay though, or a VHS version is available on sale at Pangea.

Their other movie The Witness can also be found on Google Video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=the+witness

I haven't seen that one yet, I think I'll check it out now.

Thank you so much KP.

#20 Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Peacable Kingdom focuses more on Factory Farms and on the Farm Sanctuary. It's imagery is less graphic than Earthlings. Earthlings focuses more on a wider scope of animal exploitation.

I highly recommend everyone who hasn't already to watch both.

It will open your eyes and alter how you view this world.

Well I watched them - both of them....cried my eyes out for the whole thing...It ticks me off to no end that factories are getting away with torture and that there are people out there that can actually do this to another living, breathing, feeling creature!

I couldn't even breathe when that poor elephant was being shot - it was almost as if he knew what would happen to him if he went on that rampage but did it b/c he would rather be dead than to have to live another day of that life.

I have never supported circuses, I can remember when I was a kid and my mom taking me to a circus and how it made me feel more sad than happy.

Thanks troub for the links...I put them on my site too.....My long term goal is to start an animal rescue program or to be directly involved in one when I graduate. I am not sure how I am going to get there but after watching Paceable Kingdom it gave me hope that I can do it.
#21 Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

WOW!! I was touched after seing this movie. I am certainly going to show this to my BF.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#22 Old 08-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Beginner

It's really an interesting topic. The next time I think about it I'll start a thread to discuss this.
#23 Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 AM

Does anyone have a current link to 'Peaceable Kingdom', by any chance?? The one listed earlier in this thread is no longer working. I've seen 'Earthlings', but would like to see this film, as well.

(Any other links to videos of the like are extremely welcomed, btw.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page