Empathy for dairy cows- SUPPORT THREAD - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to consume a LOT of dairy. I'm not proud of it. There was a time in my life when I never thought I could possibly live without it.

But then I read The Pig Who Sang to the Moon, and I was wracked with guilt and sorrow over the plight of dairy cows and their sons. Even though I don't have any maternal instinct for human children, what I read about the effects of the dairy industry on both mothers and baby calves ripped my heart out. I knew I could not be complicit in that sort of harm any longer, simply because I "loved cheese."

There's a farm not too far from where I live that has veal crates visible from the road. Every time I drive by there I tear up, partly out of frustration that I can't do anything to help them (beyond not consuming dairy), but also out of empathy for the horrible, shortened lives they live because of humans' appetite for dairy products.

And I feel so badly for their mothers, who suffer terribly when their babies are ripped away from them. It must be so horrible for them to have their babies taken away, and not be able to nurture them. Instead, their milk is stolen and fed to humans, who more often than not don't give a second of thought to how their actions affect these poor cows.

According to John Robbins, veal sales have dropped substantially in the past 20 years in North America. That's reason to be hopeful. But of course veal production is only a byproduct of the dairy industry, so what we really need to see is a reduction in dairy consumption to make a difference in these animals' lives. I feel uplifted and vibrantly happy that I no longer play a part in their suffering.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a SUPPORT thread for those of us whose hearts ache along with those of the cows who suffer so horribly so people can eat their cheese pizza. I'd love to hear your thoughts, including what made YOU decide to remove yourself from the horrible system of oppression that is the dairy industry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

thank you so much meatlessy for starting this thread! sometimes i feel alone in my caring for dairy cows and veal calves. it seems at times that no one else cares or that i have some type of special heart that others dont. i'm glad to knwo that you care too and obviously other vegans and strict veggies and omnivores who dont consume dairy or veal.

this made me very happy 2day.
#3 Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
sometimes i feel alone in my caring for dairy cows and veal calves.

No, you're definetely not alone Penny. I also find the treatment of cows on commercial farms to be abysmal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Beginner

meatless, your post has brought tears streaming down my face. For the past 8 years I've been a lacto-ovo veggie. I thought I was doing my best to prevent animal suffering - but I recently became aware that I could be doing ALOT more.

Today is the day that I put an end to my dairy consumption. I can no longer sit back and eat my cereal with cow's milk, chow down my extra cheese pizza without being fully aware of where that milk & cheese comes from - those poor cows. By continuing my dairy consumption I'm going against my beliefs - that ALL living creatures deserve to be treated with kindness and compassion.
#5 Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome Cher!
#6 Old 06-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, now im crying.

thanks cher!
#7 Old 06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm amazed at how easy life is without dairy. I thought it would be very hard to give up, but I was pleasantly surprised at how do-able it really is. For those of you considering giving up dairy, once you are used to it, it's not bad at all!

Cherbear!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 06-30-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherBear View Post

meatless, your post has brought tears streaming down my face. For the past 8 years I've been a lacto-ovo veggie. I thought I was doing my best to prevent animal suffering - but I recently became aware that I could be doing ALOT more.

Today is the day that I put an end to my dairy consumption. I can no longer sit back and eat my cereal with cow's milk, chow down my extra cheese pizza without being fully aware of where that milk & cheese comes from - those poor cows. By continuing my dairy consumption I'm going against my beliefs - that ALL living creatures deserve to be treated with kindness and compassion.

That is absolutely wonderful! Congratulations for making the decision!
#9 Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for starting this thread, Meatless. As a person who has empathy for the animals who suffer to feed greedy human desires, sometimes it is such a challenge to face all the ignorance and apathy that surrounds this issue while maintaining a position of grace and compassion towards the humans who cause and contribute to this needless suffering.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Cher, thank you for having an open heart and mind and following through with direct action!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Cher-- awesome!!!!!

I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for around a decade. Then I realized the ideology I held (non-harm, not wanting to kill for my food) was not reflected in my actions as long as I was eating eggs and dairy. I ate very very few eggs, but consumed cheese many times a day every day. Once I saw how dairy cows and veal calves suffered and what happened to layer hens and their brothers, something clicked. What "vegetarian" had signified to me was illusory. My ethics were really not consistent with eating any animal products. So I stopped.

I think it is so ironic and tragic that many people (vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike) consider veal to be incredibly cruel and would never consume it, yet support of the dairy industry (which creates baby males- "veal calves"- as a bi-product) goes unquestioned at best, even by veg*ns. In fact, it is often defended as a vegetarian choice with positive ethical connotations simply because it "isn't meat".
#12 Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry, didn't mean to make you cry.

Congratulations on your decision. We're here to support you. Sometimes it takes time to come to decisions, and you shouldn't feel badly for not coming to this one sooner. The point is you know what you have to do now, so try to let it free you and fill you with joy.
#13 Old 06-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Ohhh trust me, I feel free!
#14 Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

#15 Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Veal is a horrible horrible industry. Even my omni mother doesn't eat veal, and wouldn't allow us to eat it as children. I think giving up cheesy pizzas was a small price to pay to help those baby cows. Besides veal, the dumpsters full of baby male chickens is definatly a life changing image.

I was lacto (very minimly ovo) for 9 years, ignoring the plight of dairy cows and chickens in the back of my mind. It just all came down to one night 7 months ago when I said "no more". I just could not ignore the ethical conflicts in my mind any longer.

oh and for cherbear.

nut milks are better in cereal anyway yumyum
#16 Old 06-30-2006, 11:35 AM

^^ I agree about the cheesy pizza. I make jokes every now and then how much I wish I could have cheese pizza, when in reality it's just not worth it for those little baby cows.
#17 Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Besides veal, the dumpsters full of baby male chickens is definatly a life changing image.

There's an empathy for chickens thread in our future.
#18 Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

to CherBear.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#19 Old 06-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My reasons were very close to what you, Meatless, and Troub have written. I was L/O for years and swore I could never go vegan but in the back of my mind it always bothered me that I was still buying into the death and abuse of millions of animals every time I picked up a gallon of milk or a package of cheese.

It's not been easy for me but I'll be honest, the cheese pizza with a side of guilt wasn't tasting all that great either.

I have a little picture of a baby cow taped to my computer that I clipped from the newspaper a few months back. He was one of the first (of the season) born on a local dairy farm and all I could think of was "How nice, they snapped his picture before sending him to his death and taking the milk that was his to give to humans". He sits on my computer to remind me why I 'deprive' myself of cheese and chocolate.

Mary
#20 Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Ohhh trust me, I feel free!

i am convinced dairy is the worst thing for you. I noticed a big difference in my health after giving up dairy, even more so than meat.

IMO, I think the Dairy and egg industry is far more cruel than the fishing industry, even the beef industry.
#21 Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 PM

eat a bar of vegan Green & Blacks for our cow friends!!

has anyone tryed the currant ? it's yum.
#22 Old 06-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for sharing Mary. Awesome new signature by the way!

Sometimes the information has to be personalized in order to keep connecting with it on a consistent basis. If that baby cow is what keeps you "honest" then while he may have suffered in his own life, his existence wasn't for nothing.
#23 Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for posting this Meatless. I'm not entirely vegan and every so often I need a reminder of why I certainly should be. So from today the journey starts.
#24 Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

The Pig Who Sang to the Moon is an amazing book, might I add. Everyone should read it. You become so much more connected with farm animals whether it be dairy cows or turkeys!
#25 Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

The Pig Who Sang to the Moon is an amazing book, might I add. Everyone should read it. You become so much more connected with farm animals whether it be dairy cows or turkeys!

Oh totally. I was already veg when I read it and only ate egg if it was in things, so dairy is what hit home for me the most. But the whole book is great. Jeffrey Masson has a wonderful writing style, I've also read his books about cats and wildlife.

It was on sale at the bookstore for $6.99 a copy so I bought several and have been giving them out as gifts.
#26 Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Oh totally. I was already veg when I read it and only ate egg if it was in things, so dairy is what hit home for me the most. But the whole book is great. Jeffrey Masson has a wonderful writing style, I've also read his books about cats and wildlife.

It was on sale at the bookstore for $6.99 a copy so I bought several and have been giving them out as gifts.

woohoo! I should by some more of those books and hand them out on street corners!
#27 Old 06-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Mary. Awesome new signature by the way!

She's an awesome woman! I love her cookbooks.

Quote:

Sometimes the information has to be personalized in order to keep connecting with it on a consistent basis. If that baby cow is what keeps you "honest" then while he may have suffered in his own life, his existence wasn't for nothing.

In a way, even though most people probably don't know or care what happened to him, I think his picture was nice. So many animals die in this world without anyone barely acknowledging they were here. It's sad. Their nameless beings here for only the purpose of making some rich and others bellies full. His picture is a small testament to his short time on Earth. I think that's another small reason why I kept his picture. How many others threw the paper away maybe after "awwing" over the cute little calf? I just thought someone should keep his picture and remember him.

It doesn't hurt to think about his face everytime I think about picking up a peppermint patty though.

I think I have this board to thank for pushing me towards veganism. I came here a vegetarian on principle and I'm becoming a vegan through compassion.

Mary
#28 Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

It's really something special that you are honouring him each and every day throught your compassionate choices Mary. It makes me sad yet happy at the same time.
#29 Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a photo of a calf named Linus who lives at the Farm Sanctuary in California that I use as wallpaper on my computer. Every day that I turn on my computer to check to see if my husband has e-mailed me, that adorable face reminds me to be good all day.
#30 Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a photo of a calf named Linus who lives at the Farm Sanctuary in California that I use as wallpaper on my computer. Every day that I turn on my computer to check to see if my husband has e-mailed me, that adorable face reminds me to be good all day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page