Empathy for dairy cows- SUPPORT THREAD - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp2b View Post

I have a photo of a calf named Linus who lives at the Farm Sanctuary in California that I use as wallpaper on my computer. Every day that I turn on my computer to check to see if my husband has e-mailed me, that adorable face reminds me to be good all day.

I just posted a story from Farm Sanctuary. I have been a veggie for 16 years..I went on and off vegan so many times during that period. Farm Sanctuary's stories and many other stories I read finally made me realize last year that that was it and now I am vegan for good. It began with Adopt a Turkey last year - I adopted two.

Second the thought on how easy it is to be vegan now too. It was SOOO hard to even be vegetarian back 16 years ago when I did it.

Stay on Farm Sanctary's email list..... there emails with updates and stories always remind me why I do this.

queenfluff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I noticed you had posted that. I was just reading the story a few minutes ago because I am on Farm Sanctuary's e-mail list.

I'm also going there in July!
#33 Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yes, I noticed you had posted that. I was just reading the story a few minutes ago because I am on Farm Sanctuary's e-mail list.

I'm also going there in July!

I am trying to find a job out in California right now. When I get out there, I want to go and visit the the Cali farm as well. Gotta check up on my two turkeys..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

We will be going to the NY sanctuary. We went last year too.
#35 Old 06-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I gave up dairy/eggs about ten months ago. I agree that it's do-able, I disagree that it's easy. But for some reason, I don't mind the sacrifice. The part I find hard is not being able to have all of the stuff that have milk products in them, not so much having to substitute almond milk on my cereal. I love almond milk! It would just be nice to be out at a mall and be able to stop at a concession stand and have a cookie, donut, hot chocolate, etc. once in a while. That's the part I miss. But not at the expense of the animals! Giving up that occasional treat is worth it for me.
#36 Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

It would just be nice to be out at a mall and be able to stop at a concession stand and have a cookie, donut, hot chocolate, etc. once in a while. That's the part I miss. Giving up that occasional treat is worth it for me.

I hear you - stopping for a snack does make you realize how many things you really don't eat anymore! (So do parties!) I always have a larabar in my purse or car for times like those. I've also learned never to let myself get too hungry when I'm out. Veganism is an adjustment, granted, but I have found it to be easier than I had expected.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#37 Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

totally worth it. youre awesome karen!
#38 Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Great thread, Meatless! (And great quote from Farm Sanctuary about laying hens)

Congratulations, CherBear!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#39 Old 07-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Tom's a thread-killer.

(better a thread killer than an animal killer!

I've found veganism much easier than expected too, but I really had to work hard at it to get here.
#40 Old 07-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh totally. I was already veg when I read it and only ate egg if it was in things, so dairy is what hit home for me the most. But the whole book is great. Jeffrey Masson has a wonderful writing style, I've also read his books about cats and wildlife.

It was on sale at the bookstore for $6.99 a copy so I bought several and have been giving them out as gifts.

Bookcrossing anyone?

And as an ex-cheesatarian, I'd like to thank you for posting this thread. For so long (a decade), I chose to ignore the plight of dairy cows (and egg laying hens). I don't know why - maybe I just never really knew what went on, or maybe I was resisting change. But once I made the connection between dairy and veal, I knew I had to change my ways.

#41 Old 07-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

well i have posted before about finding it hard to give up cheese, i have been L/O for many years, recently within the past six months i gave up eggs for the most part, have only consumed as ingredients in other products, but i am cutting that out too.

i really had no idea about the dairy industry til recently when i began to read up on it, and plus reading here,

i have my kids off most dairy too.......its just the dang cheese,

BUT, i think today is my day too.............i think we are going to do it too.......i am making a trip to a new health food store tomorrow, and am going to sample some vegan cheese, we never tried it before.

so wish me luck, i may need support!!
#42 Old 07-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Bonoluvr, what a great choice you are making! It's often a challenge to transition (especially with children) and if you need any support please PM me

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#43 Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It's amazing what a well-kept secret the connection between dairy and veal is. I remember when I first came to VB I had NO IDEA.... and people would make comments about LO vegetarians causing as much harm as omnivores and it confused me a great deal because I didn't know how eating dairy and eggs were harmful. When I found out, it all fell into place.

Good luck bonoluvr! It's hard with kids I imagine, it's not like you can really tell them all the gory details. I was at the stage you describe for a year or two ( I didn't go vegan overnight so it's hard to pinpoint things ) and while it was daunting at first, after a while I just saw it as an exciting opportunity to try all kinds of new things and fuel my body using healthy food that didn't cause any suffering. I have never been so excited about food in my entire life! Keep us posted and let us know if you need any suggestions, support etc.
#44 Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Meatless, thank you for allowing us to all share our stories and save the dairy cows.

I was lacto/ovo for 24 years (since birth). When I was 24, I became completely disgusted with eggs. I just kept picturing them as the same as "my eggs". I must admit though, I never knew about the suffering by these industries. In Virginia you see farmers with acres and acres of property and the cows and steers are roaming free in the fields. Ignorance is not bliss. I am ashamed of my previous ignorance and lack of desire for truth.

I became full on vegan November 1st 2005. It has been sooo refreshing and energizing. I must admit that since I was a chees-a-holic I think it took about 3 or 4 months for my body to become De-toxified from the dairy. I felt a litle "yucky" during that time, but reminded myself that it would pass and it was just the toxins leaving my body.

Becoming vegan has forced me to learn how to cook a few things from scratch, but hey I make awesome vegan pizza, ravioli, bread, and cookies. I feel like my food is much healthier when it is from scratch anyway, since I know every ingredient that goes into it.

Oh man, there was a website called SorryCow.com that had people apologizing to cows for you. I posted my apology there..... but now it says they haven't paid for their domain since 6 June. That site would have made a perfect link for this thread.

Karenlovessnow, you mentioned that you miss peppermint patties. CVS pharmacy carries a vegan chocolate/peppermint. Look for Nestle - After Eight They are very, very good.
#45 Old 07-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you everyone for the support, I know I will need it
#46 Old 07-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

Look for Nestle - After Eight They are very, very good.

They *do* taste good, and they are pretty low fat too and that's why I am so sad they are made by Nestle, a very unethical company (they are part owners of L'Oreal and push their cow milk formulas in third world countries amongst other evils). It's really unfortunate that an otherwise vegan product would be manufactured and carried by such an unvegan company

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#47 Old 07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

the harb chocolate company peppermint patties are really good, too.http://shop.harbchocolate.com/displa...2&categoryId=1
#48 Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I think though that it's helpful for people going vegan to know that there IS a dietarily vegan alternative out there. I know there are lots of things that I was very relieved to find replacements for, but the products weren't always made by the most ethical of companies. I would buy a package or two, but as I found new, better things to eat I just ended up usually not buying them again.
#49 Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

They *do* taste good, and they are pretty low fat too and that's why I am so sad they are made by Nestle, a very unethical company (they are part owners of L'Oreal and push their cow milk formulas in third world countries amongst other evils). It's really unfortunate that an otherwise vegan product would be manufactured and carried by such an unvegan company

Vegan Essentials sells some pretty tasty vegan candy. Looks like they have Chocolate Mint candies ..don't know if that is the same as the Peppermint Patty candies but probably better than buying from Nestle.

http://www.veganessentials.com/

Look under their candies and sweets section.

They have vegan gummi bears too. Someone mentioned somewhere on here that they missed those.

They used to have butterscotch candies too..but I don't see them anymore.

I am going up to Milkwaukee tomorrow but I am thinking they won't be open.
#50 Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:

. . . There's a farm not too far from where I live that has veal crates visible from the road. Every time I drive by there I tear up, partly out of frustration that I can't do anything to help them (beyond not consuming dairy), but also out of empathy for the horrible, shortened lives they live because of humans' appetite for dairy products. . .

I don't know if what you are talking about are really veal calves b/c were I live when people say they get upset every time they drive past farms were they see veal calves they are really seeing replacement heifers and dairy steers. If the calves have a hutch and a pen or are chained to the hutch then they are replacement heifer and/or dairy steers.

\tI live in Lancaster county, PA, farms and Amish everywhere. You can't drive five minutes w/o seeing cows . . . and unless they have recently given birth there are no calves with them. Most people where I live know that a cow has to give birth to produce milk, but unless they work on a dairy farm they don't make the connection between the hundreds of cows the see daily and the few calves in the tiny hutches.

\tBut the calves are rather lucky here compared to most other calves in America. Most Amish kill the males soon after birth, and most other male calves become dairy steers, so they escape the horrors of the veal factories. The females are taken from their mothers within a few days of birth, like elsewhere in America. They are put in those huts and pens with about 3 baby calf body lengths from front to back. Not only are they separated from their mothers but they can't even make contact with other calves or rump and play. The isolation is to reduce disease and measure how much they eat.

\tMany nights you can hear the cows bellowing for their stolen babies, but eventually they will move on only to go through it again next year. But like the calves the mothers are somewhat lucky too. They have a lot of room in green pastures and herd sizes are small, usually less then 1,000 in a commercial operation, even less for family herds.

\tWith these "comforting" scenes many people have delusions about where there animal food comes from, but there are still cow on nearby farms looking for their babies and the calves are still "man-made orphans" all b/c we are an ice cream and cheese lovin' nation

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#51 Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Great thread, Meatless.

Quote:
But the calves are rather lucky here compared to most other calves in America. Most Amish kill the males soon after birth, and most other male calves become dairy steers, so they escape the horrors of the veal factories.

Great post, Faded!!! I think it shows how awful dairy is when the "lucky" calves live on Amish farms and get to be slaughtered soon after birth.
#52 Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

I don't know if what you are talking about are really veal calves b/c were I live when people say they get upset every time they drive past farms were they see veal calves they are really seeing replacement heifers and dairy steers. If the calves have a hutch and a pen or are chained to the hutch then they are replacement heifer and/or dairy steers.

That could be what it is, although I never see the cows themselves, just the white crate-looking things. Either way, it's sad.
#53 Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I do actually think that regardless of the dairy industry, there will be a veal industry, so long as it's in demand. The dairy industry is just a good source of unwanted calves, and if it wasn't there, or if it wasn't sufficient, they'd find another means. So i don't think it's pointless, if say an omni refuses to eat veal. I think both avoiding dairy products and avoiding veal are good in their own ways for stopping the production of veal meat.

Anyways, yeh... the dairy industry... an evil business (as i discovered when i first became a vegetarian) along with all the others (eggs, meat, animal testing.. etc.). I've also read The Pig Who Sang to the Moon.

I doubt any of this will become well known to the omni world. Most of them are too oblivious to the harm they're causing when they tuck into a bacon sandwich... i know i was. I only stumbled across vegetarianism because i was looking into the cruelty of circus animals online. And that' a really obvious one... bacon = pig...
#54 Old 07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That could be what it is, although I never see the cows themselves, just the white crate-looking things. Either way, it's sad.

You wouldn't know unless you got close enough to determine the calves' sex. "Replacment" heifers and male calves for veal are housed in the same manner. Fed differently, but confined in the same circumstances.

Keep on freepin' on

#55 Old 07-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

If the calves have a hutch and a pen or are chained to the hutch then they are replacement heifer and/or dairy steers.

Dairy steer is a bit of an oxymoron.

Keep on freepin' on

#56 Old 07-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

You wouldn't know unless you got close enough to determine the calves' sex. "Replacment" heifers and male calves for veal are housed in the same manner. Fed differently, but confined in the same circumstances.

So cows on the whole are treated even worse than I thought.
#57 Old 07-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:

Ok well I don't know about b/c the only time I am around bovines is when I'm in Lancaster, but the replacement heifer here are kept in a hutch-pen that is over 3 new born calf lengths long and about 2 new born calf length wide. I've never knowingly seen veal calves in person, but all the photos of them I've seen on animal welfare web-sights and in the books we used in my animal science class the veal calves had a lot less room, their crate was just bigger then their slaughter size.

\tNow of course the heifers aren't going the develop a large amount of muscle how they are kept but I don't think if someone's goal is to get an atrophied veal calf they would keep them in the replacement heifer style enclosure, but I could be wrong.

\tI guess dairy steer does sound funny if you don't hear it often. A dairy steer is a male calf born to a dairy cow that is going to be used for beef. They are usually used around here for FFA/4-H projects or people who want to rise there own beef cattle, but don't have the facilities, time, and/or interest to deal with the mama cows. But I don't know how old they are when they are castrated so the calves probably aren't steers.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#58 Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Severe animal cruelty at dairy farm...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...93#post1296993

How is it justified for the taste of cheese? How do people defend it?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#59 Old 07-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Severe animal cruelty at dairy farm...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...93#post1296993

How is it justified for the taste of cheese? How do people defend it?

Dairy industry: $, end-to-end federal subsidies, supply and demand.

Shills:"Calcium!"

Consumers: "Yummy!"

Keep on freepin' on

#60 Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Dairy steer is a bit of an oxymoron.

yeah... that's a whole different kind of milk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page