Festival of the flying dog? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I found this page on a link someone gave in another thread. I've been trying to find more information about it, with no luck. Does anyone have more info about it, or does anyone speak the language that the caption is written in?

I really want to know what this is. The dog looks so terrified, its so sad.

http://www.oipa.org/photo/volante.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

ewww.. that is horrible. Hope that dog bites those guys in the butt.

It looks like it is in Italian. Looks like the Home web page is an Animal protection place. Hopefully they are doing something about it.
#3 Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Rough translation from babelfish:

A dog, tied up, is made to spin over a pool of water. We are in Brodilovo, a Bulgarian village 500 kilometers from Sofia, where every year in this season they have the ritual of "The Turning Of The Dog". According to ancient folklore, the more excrement the dog makes during the flight, the more rich and fortunate the village will be in the upcoming year.

ETA: Here's an english description and picture from 2005: http://www.planetark.com/envpicstory.cfm/newsid/29842

ETA2: And here's a forum discussion about it that says the practice has stopped and the mayor apologized. I could only access the forum through Google Cache: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

A dog, tied up, is made to spin over a pool of water. We are in Brodilovo, a Bulgarian village 500 kilometers from Sofia, where every year in this season they have the ritual of "The Turning Of The Dog". According to ancient folklore, the more excrement the dog makes during the flight, the more rich and fortunate the village will be in the upcoming year.

ETA: Here's an english description and picture from 2005: http://www.planetark.com/envpicstory.cfm/newsid/29842

Thanks kpickell, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

What they do to those dogs is disgusting!

How can it boost the health of the dog? It looks terrified.
#5 Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

ETA2: And here's a forum discussion about it that says the practice has stopped and the mayor apologized. I could only access the forum through Google Cache: link

Oh, by the way, how did you copy the text to babelfish?

Did you rewrite it all?
#6 Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

Thanks kpickell, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

What they do to those dogs is disgusting!

How can it boost the health of the dog? It looks terrified.

They say it to easy their guilt about what they are doing to the dog.
#7 Old 06-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

Oh, by the way, how did you copy the text to babelfish?

Did you rewrite it all?

No, I found another copy of the image that had the text written, and was able to copy/paste it.

PS: Here's the text of the post in the archived thread I linked as ETA2

Quote:
It is I believe one village in the stranja area that does this, Brodilovo, this 'event' happened one day a year and it hit the news headlines some time back, causing general concern, the government in BG applied pressure and it has now stopped, and the major of the village has publically apologied for 'bringing his country into disrepute'. Bit tough on him personally since they have been doing this for hundreds of years, but a great step forward for the dogs! The MEP is a bit behind the times, me thinks. Here is the letter that was sent about it that is available on a online search:

Dear Madam/Sir,

With reference to your letter to the embassy, in which you express concern about the so called spinning of dogs custom in the Bulgarian village of Brodilovo, I would like to inform you about the following:

responding to the indignation and protests of the Bulgarian public opinion after the publication of the photographs of the spinning of the dog in the Bulgarian media in the beginning of March 2005, on 9 March 2005 the mayor of Brodilovo issued a statement to the Bulgarian media, in which he apologized in the name of the inhabitants of the village for the cruelty shown to the dogs and assured the public opinion that 2005 was the last year when this ancient local custom was performed in Brodilovo. In the same statement the mayor declared that, basing on the consensus of the inhabitants, from now on the spinning of dog will cease to be practiced in the village.

I trust that this commitment of the mayor and inhabitants of Brodilovo answers satisfactorily your concerns.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Tzerova

Second Secretary

Bulgarian Embassy

#8 Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad it ended.

Thanks for all the help!
#9 Old 06-28-2006, 07:42 PM

...thats horrible...people sicken me
#10 Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

I don't see how this is any more harmful than neutering dogs or spaying them. Wherever you have dog husbandry, you are going to have things that some people do to dogs, and that they say is good for the dogs, and that other people think shouldn't be done, and that they say the other people are rationalizing about. Certainly people in Bulgaria can say that people in the US are "just rationalizing" when they say neutering dogs is good for the dog, and that what it is really good for is people, so that the people aren't overrun by dogs. The only solution to the problem is to free dogs from human ownership. Let any dogs that remain make the decisions as to what to do to dogs, rather than humans.
#11 Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I don't see how this is any more harmful than neutering dogs or spaying them. Wherever you have dog husbandry, you are going to have things that some people do to dogs, and that they say is good for the dogs, and that other people think shouldn't be done, and that they say the other people are rationalizing about. Certainly people in Bulgaria can say that people in the US are "just rationalizing" when they say neutering dogs is good for the dog, and that what it is really good for is people, so that the people aren't overrun by dogs. The only solution to the problem is to free dogs from human ownership. Let any dogs that remain make the decisions as to what to do to dogs, rather than humans.

Soilman, ////speechless (in reality I'm not speechless, it's just that the rules of this forum prohibit me from saying what I really want to say). Go to bed, soilman.
#12 Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

..I better not be killed for this..

Spaying and neutering really is good for the animal because when animals want to mate, they will. This is what nature has given them so that as a species they survive. Unfortunately they didn't loose this feature when we began breeding them in succession. If you've ever seen a female dog in heat, she is not happy. They are miserable when they can't breed, and even when they do they can very easily get sick from pregnancy, especially if the said owner is not equipped to deal with a pregnancy. If the dog does birth a healthy litter, then the owner might find it very hard to give them away for many reasons. Then the dog wants to breed again, and the whole thing continues. When dogs are overbred (which wouldn't happen in the wild because there wouldn't be as many dogs before we messed with them) they become sick and can even die. Most males are very aggressive when they are not fixed, they act very hostile only because of their testosterone.

Fixing your pet also makes ALL of these problems go away. It also doesn't cause much pain, if any, to the said animal if treated correctly. It prevents animal abuse, stray dogs, and aggression in some cases. Even if does cause a bit of minor pain and trauma to the animal, the benefits HEAVILY outweigh the risks, especially if you have a good vet and are a good animal caregiver.

I hope I don't get yelled at for this...
#13 Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you've ever seen a female dog in heat, she is not happy. They are miserable when they can't breed, and even when they do they can very easily get sick from pregnancy, especially if the said owner is not equipped to deal with a pregnancy. If the dog does birth a healthy litter, then the owner might find it very hard to give them away for many reasons. Then the dog wants to breed again, and the whole thing continues. When dogs are overbred (which wouldn't happen in the wild because there wouldn't be as many dogs before we messed with them) they become sick and can even die. Most males are very aggressive when they are not fixed, they act very hostile only because of their testosterone.

Duh. In other words, even domesticated animals with 1000's of years of genetic evolution behind them directed at adapting them to their present environment, are still not well-adapted for life as a "pet" unless, in addition, we surgically alter them to make them such. What this means to me is we should STOP making them into pets. Just leave them alone. But I'm changing the subject. So, back to no more spinning dogs.

Look, I agree you don't want no dogs to get pregnant. I heard a story a few days ago about someone with a tiny female dog that got knocked up by a big male, and died giving birth. But the solution is not to continue the business of animal husbandry that caused all these problems.

Actually, the male dogs I've seen that are not fixed are not alot more agressive than unfixed males. Agressiveness depends more on the basic neurological-type genetics of the dog and its environment (how people deal with it), than on whether it has testicles or not.
#14 Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Duh. In other words, even domesticated animals with 1000's of years of genetic evolution behind them directed at adapting them to their present environment, are still not well-adapted for life as a "pet" unless, in addition, we surgically alter them to make them such. What this means to me is we should STOP making them into pets. Just leave them alone. But I'm changing the subject. So, back to no more spinning dogs.

Look, I agree you don't want no dogs to get pregnant. I heard a story a few days ago about someone with a tiny female dog that got knocked up by a big male, and died giving birth. But the solution is not to continue the business of animal husbandry that caused all these problems.

Actually, the male dogs I've seen that are not fixed are not alot more agressive than unfixed males. Agressiveness depends more on the basic neurological-type genetics of the dog and its environment (how people deal with it), than on whether it has testicles or not.

GAH! You just don't get it do you?! D< If we had perhaps left the ancestor of the domestic dog alone thousands of years ago, then yes, we shouldn't be keeping them as pets. But now that we have, most CAN'T survive alone. You aren't going to see a yorkie hunting for itself out in the wild. It just doesn't work like that. Leaving the animals alone now does NOT do them good, especially since people are ignorant and even if that were a good choice, people would still mistreat them anyways. So you would end up with poor, unhappy and underfed dogs dying from cars alone on the street, moreso than ever before because we did them good by 'leaving them alone'.

Your ignorance makes me very angry.

It depends on how the dog was raised and such, you are right about that. But testosterone plays a HUGE role in behavior, that is incredibly undeniable in any animal species, not just dogs. If the overpopulation problem wasn't such a huge dilemma, we wouldn't have to 'alter' them to 'make' them our pets. Dogs want to please, they love us. They find family with humans, and give us so much back in return. Believe me, most dogs are much happier after the procedure. It's not like declawing where we just do it for our own selfish cause of saving a couch. We do it for them. That's why bad owners, the ones that don't feed their pets, also don't fix them either. Not saying everyone who doesn't fix is a bad owner, but I think it is extremely irresponsable.

I'm not saying any more on this subject, because your ignorance obviously is going to make changing your mind impossible. Just like most omnivores.

I hope you never own another pet.
#15 Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

"I hope you never own another pet."

Duh. Why would I want to own another pet if I just said I didn't like the whole idea of owning pets?

by leaving dogs alone I mean stop breeding them, and preventing those that exist now from breeding, preferably by tubal ligations and vasectomies, rather than by completely removing their organs. For god's sake, let them have some fun. I am not convinced that neutering a male makes it a happier dog than a vasectomied dog. I certainly would chose vasectomy for myself, over neutering. I like having some testosterone. It makes me feel confident about trusting my own judgement, rather than feeling like I need to hand choices over to someone else, to make. Same thing for females. I believe most human females would prefer tubal ligation to hysterectomy and ovary removal. I think dogs are treated differently than humans for the benefit of the human, not for the dog. And a tubal ligation is probably less time consuming and less costly than a spaying. A vasectomy is certainly less costly than a neutering.
#16 Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"I hope you never own another pet."

Duh. Why would I want to own another pet if I just said I didn't like the whole idea of owning pets?

Alright, I wasn't paying attention I'll give you that, my apologies.

Quote:

by leaving dogs alone I mean stop breeding them, and preventing those that exist now from breeding, preferably by tubal ligations and vasectomies, rather than by completely removing their organs. For god's sake, let them have some fun. I am not convinced that neutering a male makes it a happier dog than a vasectomied dog. I certainly would chose vasectomy for myself, over neutering. I like having some testosterone. It makes me feel confident about trusting my own judgement, rather than feeling like I need to hand choices over to someone else, to make. Same thing for females. I believe most human females would prefer tubal ligation to hysterectomy and ovary removal. I think dogs are treated differently than humans for the benefit of the human, not for the dog. And a tubal ligation is probably less time consuming and less costly than a spaying. A vasectomy is certainly less costly than a neutering.

Vasectomy doesn't always work, and it's riskier than removing the organs. Testosterone was designed to allow male dogs to fight with each other over mates, and it seems to cloud their ability to love and nurture. They also tend to attack humans more often when left unfixed, but of course this also depends on the breed and how the dog was raised.

Not owning a dog is a good idea for you, but it's not going to magically make overpopulation go away, since dogs in the shelter will just be killed and the ones on the street will still continue to breed regardless of you.

Well, I'm going to try and shut my mouth now since obviously that didn't work before >_>;
#17 Old 08-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

"Testosterone was designed to allow male dogs to fight with each other over mates, and it seems to cloud their ability to love and nurture."

I don't believe that for a moment. It most certainly was not "designed" to allow male dogs to fight. It may increase the likelyhood of male dogs fighting with each other, esp over mating with females, but it is only one of many factors that affect fighting behavior, with genetics and training being able to overcome the testosterone factor. It certainly does not "cloud" their ability to love and nurture. There is not a shred of evidence for testosterone having this affect on any animal. This is just bigotry against males.
#18 Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Beginner

I agree with you Mrrple. Some people just don't get it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page