Beyonce "ambushed" by PETA - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

some people can take that stuff. i can't, too many years at kill shelters and such. I stopped volunteering at shelters becuase i get very depressed. now i do fundraising, so i don't really have direct contact with the animals (except to play with the kittens from time to time)

thanks.

Now you have me a bit worried, lol. I plan to volunteer at the shelter here later. I hope I don't get too depressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Now you have me a bit worried, lol. I plan to volunteer at the shelter here later. I hope I don't get too depressed.

I did it for years without problem- I cared deeply about the animals, don't get me wrong, but I knew i could only do so much and I did my best to comfort the animals before they were put down.

Make sure you have a outlet or hobby outside of rescue/AR stuff- a fitness class or something that you can use to decompress before going home. I never went staight home from the shelter- i always went to the gym first, worked out, took a shower, then went home. Another volenteer would stop by a coffee shop and drink coffee and read the paper before he went home, every time.

i think i just got too old. i started getting angry and depressed, so now i just hit people up for cash and socialize (play with ) the kittens.

I may go back one day to it, just not yet.

you'll be fine, just know when you've had to much and take a break.
#33 Old 06-16-2006, 09:48 PM

one more thing- it's not all depressing, sometimes you get to clean out cages and do paperwork too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Alright. Thanks for the advice
#35 Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

bluebutterfly05...next time please give a warning about graphic content. I feel like flipping out now.

eta: i hate our evil species and wish humans just didn't exist at all
#36 Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

the description said she was attacked. I didn't see any attacking. thay were talking and asking questions.

Hahaha you forget this is PETA they're describing. PETA could have sent one person to just sit on the other side of the room and silently stare at her crosseyed while holding up a sign, and to AOL it would have constituted an "ambush". You're never going to find sympathetic coverage of PETA, or any other kind of anti-fur or pro-AR activity, for that matter, anywhere in the mainstream media.

*this space not for sale*
#37 Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I did it for years without problem- I cared deeply about the animals, don't get me wrong, but I knew i could only do so much and I did my best to comfort the animals before they were put down.

Make sure you have a outlet or hobby outside of rescue/AR stuff- a fitness class or something that you can use to decompress before going home. I never went staight home from the shelter- i always went to the gym first, worked out, took a shower, then went home. Another volenteer would stop by a coffee shop and drink coffee and read the paper before he went home, every time.

i think i just got too old. i started getting angry and depressed, so now i just hit people up for cash and socialize (play with ) the kittens.

I may go back one day to it, just not yet.

you'll be fine, just know when you've had to much and take a break.

Man this is such good advice!! You know, I was telling another a/r person the other day that I think we are all somewhat "nuts" because we deal with such depressing things day after day and still do it. I do lots of stuff for our humane society, not all of it depresses me but some does. Also, my dealings with elephants and honestly feeling relieved/happy/sad/depressed/whatever when one dies is such an odd concept. How is one supposed to react when one feels happy that something has died? That's just weird to me but yet it happens over and over again. I love your advice - good food for thought. Thanks
#38 Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

bluebutterfly05...next time please give a warning about graphic content. I feel like flipping out now.

eta: i hate our evil species and wish humans just didn't exist at all

I honestly forgot about the little video at the bottom, and didn't notice it starts up on it's own since I had my volume turned down. I appologize.
#39 Old 06-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

I honestly forgot about the little video at the bottom, and didn't notice it starts up on it's own since I had my volume turned down. I appologize.

I'm sorry...I've calmed down lol. I spent my morning in the "all humans suck" mode. I just can't take it. If I were there, if I were to witness something like that...I'd end up in jail for sure (w/out regret).
#40 Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Beginner

I know how u feel gaya i felt the same way after i watched the my first video. I was very upset to see that too bc after the fur one (pam anderson) i refuse to watch any videos. I watched a second of it trying to figure out and hoping and praying that animal was dead. it wasn't. i instantly went into human hate mode too. some ppl are so f-ing sick. but we have 2 be grateful their are ppl like us fighting for animals. its a real damn shame that we cant do more then hold a sign or write a letter.
#41 Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 PM

me too. I can't get the picture out of my mind. it makes me want to hurt someone.

i have some anger issues when it somes to that. The day I quit the shelter I totally lost it on someone who beat his dog and tried to say it was hit by a car and he didn't want it anymore.

I was scary and not myself.
#42 Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:

me too. I can't get the picture out of my mind. it makes me want to hurt someone.

i have some anger issues when it somes to that. The day I quit the shelter I totally lost it on someone who beat his dog and tried to say it was hit by a car and he didn't want it anymore.

I was scary and not myself.

Elaborate. I'm interested. What did you say to him?
#43 Old 06-17-2006, 11:42 PM

The video was good, i think they could have done it better.

I want to see more of J.Ho bashing. :}~
#44 Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Hahaha you forget this is PETA they're describing. PETA could have sent one person to just sit on the other side of the room and silently stare at her crosseyed while holding up a sign, and to AOL it would have constituted an "ambush". You're never going to find sympathetic coverage of PETA, or any other kind of anti-fur or pro-AR activity, for that matter, anywhere in the mainstream media.

Unfortunatly you are right. People view PeTA as crazy hippies, fascists and even terrorists. I don't see what is so "terrorist" about trying to stop torturing of animals. I think the meat industry are terrorists for inducing animal cruelty. I also don't understand what people see so wrong with ALF burning down animal testing labs. ALF always makes sure that no human or animal life is claimed in the burning. Additionally it is for a just cause. People should think of how many buildings were burned down to stop slavery at the Civil War.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page