Fish tank at grocery store. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Beginner

I don't know if this is just how the cities are, but when I was in Vancouver last week, I was shopping with my sister in SuperStore, and in the seefood section, there was this tank full of large fish all crammed together. There was probably like twenty fish in one small tank!They could barely move! What an excruciatingly awful experience! I couldn't get close enough to the tank without people noticing, so I just slapped a "Fish are friends, not food" sticker onto one of the poles beside the seefood aisle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

WOW! I'm surprised the fish are able to survive that way. As a general rule, you should only have 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons in a tank (you can fit a few more than that in a freshwater aquarium and a few less in a saltwater aquarium.) Any more than that and the fish get really stressed and start dropping dead.
#3 Old 06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor fish. What an awful existance.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

That sucks...

My local A&P has a lobster tank that is over-crowded with a sign on top that says "Any fresher and they'd be alive. Oh, wait a minute."

I thought that was really disturbing.

I even took a picture of it:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...obsterTank.jpg

I haven't seen a tank of live fish in a seafood section before though. Only lobster and crabs.
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

that is disturbing...

it really should be illegal to lock up animals like that. its a meaningless existence.
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Animals(fish in this case) can stand more stressful living conditions short term. Such as keeping a goldfish bowl.

The one inch per gal. is for maintaining fish for their entire lives and doesn't apply to holding tank situations such as exist in petshops who keep fish at higher densities.

As for keeping fish in such small spaces they can hardly move, they are probabably counting on selling the fish before they secomb sp? to the stress of their holding tank.
#7 Old 06-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately I can no longer say it is cruel, since I've never been a fish or a lobster. Thanks ST
#8 Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, with my job as a health inspector I do have the unfortunate "pleasure" of seeing these tanks and of inspecting the areas the fish are slaughtered. when I see the fish with the open wounds and sores on their bodies I question the operators about the conditions the fish are in. From the perspective of my job(which is the protection of public health) I have to question how safe those fish are for the consumers to eat.The sad part is that the fish with all of the wounds and sores are just culled out. Such a waste.
#9 Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Around here there's a fish farm for trouts. The larger trouts are crammed together and have sores.

I'm puzzled why they do this since I assume the larger trouts are being released into the wild and or being bred so these stressed injured fish are going to die at higher rates. There's a mesh net above the fish to protect them predators, but the crammed fish obviously jump and injure themselves on the net giving themselves nasty gashes on their backs.

As for culling wounded fish, they probably do that at the fish farm too. Way to not solve a problem at the cause.
#10 Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

At the walmart near here, they take Betas and put them in little cups so they are easy for people to grab and buy. There is no swim room at all. Alot of them die...
#11 Old 06-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I get so pissed when they stack those little cups up so the little air holes are blocked. I go and rearrange all of the cups so everyone can get air.
#12 Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know why people seem to think that betas don't need as much space as other fish. I think people see them more as decoration than pets. They're put in teeny-tiny bowls with no aeration or filtration.
#13 Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's because people are told that the beta's natural environment are shallow rice paddies so they assume that they'll be just as happy in about 2 inches of water.
#14 Old 06-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Okay, I'm a little ignorant to this, but what are Betas? They sell them at Wal-Mart?
#15 Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychem View Post

Okay, I'm a little ignorant to this, but what are Betas? They sell them at Wal-Mart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betta

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I just love how that encyclopedia entry basically states that they can survive in stagnant water. I guess since it's an "informative" type entry and not an instructional manual then they don't feel a need to followup with "however, those brought home to be kept pets should not live in such conditions".
#17 Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM

they have a large lobster tank at my local grocery store. the worst part? they target it to kids putting little cartoon smiling lobsters all over the tank..and little like bubble sticker things that magnitize it so you canlook at them and it says "hey kids be a part of the lobster watching club"
#18 Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

That's sick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page